Start by marking “The Last Hero (Discworld #27; Rincewind #7)” as Want to Read:
The Last Hero (Discworld #27; Rincewind #7)

The Last Hero (Discworld #27)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  27,119 Ratings  ·  654 Reviews
Cohen the Barbarian. He's been a legend in his own lifetime.
He can remember the good old days of high adventure, when being a Hero meant one didn't have to worry about aching backs and lawyers and civilization. But these days, he can't always remember just where he put his teeth...So now, with his ancient (yet still trusty) sword and new walking stick in hand, Cohen gather
Published August 20th 2002 by Harper Voyager (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Hero

Lyn
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan.

Only Terry Pratchett could parody “Houston, we have a problem” with that kind of brazen aplomb.

While The Last Hero, A Discworld Fable, is Pratchett’s 27th Discworld book, the real HERO here is his collaborator Paul Kidby who provides a book full of illustrations.

Is it me, or does Cohen look a little like Terry Pratchett?

Pratchett’s original Discworld illustrator Josh Kirby died in 2001, and Kidby has been drawing Rincewind and the Wizards ever since. I’m an au
Melki
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
'And the thing is...the big thing about Cohen is...he's contagious.'

'You mean he's a plague carrier?'

'It's like a mental illness, sir. Or magic. He's as crazy as a stoat, but...once they've been around him for a while, people start seeing the world the way he does. All big and simple and they want to be part of it.'

This must be how Cohen the Barbarian got his Silver Horde to follow him up the highest mountain in Discworld to return something that was stolen from the Gods. BUT - for reasons too c
Antonio
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este es uno de los libros que me ha gustado del mundodisco, por varias razones, no solo tiene al cobarde de Rincewind salvando al mundo una vez mas, aunque el solo quisiera huir y/o esconderse; sino que tiene una cofradía de personajes de todo el disco, tenemos a todo El cuadro académico de la ilustre universidad invisible, al Patricio de Ankh-Morpork Lord Vetinari, al Capitán Zanahoria de la guardia de la ciudad, a La muerte (que no podría faltar) y lo mejor de todo a la Horda de plata

Este gru
Patrick
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was the the last book on Terry Pratchett re-read binge.

While not as substantial as some of the rest of his books (I'm pretty sure the wordcount is less than half of his usual) this book makes up for it by being beautifully illustrated by Paul Kidby. I've never seen an artist do such spot-on interpretations of an author's characters. Kidby's work is really amazing.
Stephen Collins
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Late great Sir Terry's Conan tribute to Robert E Howard what happens to super men when they get old & there teeth fall out this old man Steptoe with muscles.
But the extra special illustrations that give this book that WOW!
YouKneeK
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The Last Hero is the seventh book in the Rincewind subseries. It’s actually an illustrated novel, the first one I’ve read. It was only available as an illustrated version (unlike Eric which I read in a non-illustrated format), and I do think some of the illustrations were important to the story. If nothing else, the ending might not make much sense without the corresponding picture. The reader could probably guess what it showed if they’d been paying attention to the story, though.

The story itse
Brent
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much fun.
S.A.
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this slim book tucked away behind other books. I think I hid it like a last bottle of really excellent wine.

This time the sassy, wonderful, snide, silly, colorful, twisted thingamabobs associated with Sir Terry's wordsmithery are augmented by Paul Kidby's frantic illustrations. What a visual and verbal banquet. In my volume, page 130-131 is particularly enchanting.

It's hard to pick a favorite character in Sir Terry's pantheon, but damn, Lord Vetinari, the cultivated, calculating, well-m
Igor Ljubuncic
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: terry-pratchett
Solid.

I was never too fond of Rincewind - among the different arch-heroes that Terry introduced in his books, the neurotic coward is not at the top of my list, but still, like watching trainwrecks in slow-mo, you can't shake the feeling a bag of buttered popcorn would do nicely right then.

I think the plot is a bit vague - as most Rincewind stuff is - but basically, this is a multi-pronged parody on Conan the Barbarian, plus a whole slew of cliches. Thoroughly entertaining, although not as memora
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical
A small story, clearly germinated whilst working on the previous Disc instalment, covering the effects of time and ageing, the desire to live longer, see more, put a mark on the world you are about to leave behind. Perhaps a clear example of the authors knowledge that he was going to have his life cut short by Alzheimer's? And also using the story to kill off one of his earliest creations, leftover from the silly days when the Disc was basically a spoof of fantasy novels. Cohen the Barbarian is ...more
Bronislava Sencakova
Mrakoplaš, Barbar Cohen, Leonardo da Vinci, Schrödingerova mačka, Prometeus a hlava XXII? Áno, stále správny pratchettovský mix, aj keď kratší :)

Goodreads výzva 2016:
116. dočítaná kniha
Roviragrao
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relecturas
(relectura Mundodisco #27)

Una fábula del Mundodisco, un homenaje a la saga, un regalo a los lectores.

Te hará ser consciente de lo feliz que te ha hecho Pratchett a lo largo de los años.
Wastrel
An installment that it's very easy to overlook: it's only a very short illustrated novel, after all. More a lengthy short story than a novel, to be honest. And when you think about the plot, the characters and so on, it's all very simple, very small, nothing all that impressive.

But the flip side of that is that there's no room for most of Pratchett's vices. Combine that tight focus with an author at the peak of his powers, and the result is near-perfect execution. The comic bits are very funny,
Ashish
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humour
"So many worlds. So little time."
In the course of the last 26 books, Pratchett gave us a brilliant cast of characters. We've watched them appear, grow, evolve, and become a part of the Discworld Universe; Cohen was the only one who was who he was, in the beginning and till the end. That's what defined him, and that's what also, I thought, made him increasingly irrelevant in a Discworld with high-speed communications, reformed and societally-assimilated monsters, the rule of law & order and,
Amanda
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I NEED TO OWN THIS BOOK ASAP. It has pictures! Of old men! And dragons!
Even without the illustrations, I'd buy it anyway.

The Last Hero is technically a Rincewind book but it's mainly about Cohen & The Silver Horde and Leonard of Quirm, served with a side of Carrot. It also has a bunch of other people. It's glorious. I loved Vena/Mrs. McGarry - one of the reasons I love Pratchett is because he writes awesome women. I like that Vena doesn't do much in the realm of swashbuckling, even though w
Matt
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor, 2016-reads
The Gods are on notice as the greatest heroes of the Disc are headed for their heavenly abode on a quest to return the fire stolen by the first hero, except there’s a catch. The illustrated Discworld novella The Last Hero is the twenty-seventh in the humorous fantasy series written by Terry Pratchett and assisted by artist Paul Kirby. And once again Pratchett follows his first protagonist Rincewind racing to save the world.

Cohen the Barbarian and his Silver Horde have left their imperial possess
Elise
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I didn't really like my first couple of experiences with Terry Pratchett. The first book I tried from Discworld was "The Color of Magic." I figured I start with it because it was the first book, but I was really disappointed with it and found it unfunny. I still wanted to give Discworld another chance though because I really wanted to like Terry Pratchett. So, I read around and found out that most people found his funniest book was "Guards! Guards!" So, I decided to buy it. I found it slightly b ...more
Michaela
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kniha bola tajný darček pre manžela. Zháňala som ju ROKY! A pod haluz roku 2016 ju aj dostal... jasné, že som neodolala a aspoň listovala v nej, ale na svoju obhajobu môžem povedať, že som ju nečítala. Až dnes, lebo muž ju dorazil pred pár dňami. :) Barbar Cohen a jeho partia vyzerajú ako inventár domova dôchodcov, ale len vyzerajú. Vedia prekvapiť. V takomto veľkom formáte vyniknú ilustrácie, kriedové strany, proste lahôdka. Oproti zvyšku, čo vyšiel v brožovanej väzbe (1. čes. vydanie), je to r ...more
Aimee
From time to time, you just need some Pratchett. This is a small dose (one of his shorter books) and just the medicine I needed. It's not quite up there with my favourite Discworld novels, although it does have Carrot Ironfoundersson in it, but it was funny, over the top, and full of references and in-jokes - in short, everything a Discworld novel should be.
Maša
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cohen and the Horde are on the quest that's going to end all quests - if Rincewind, Carrot, Librarian, and Leonard da Quirm don't stop them, that is.

The good: Oh, so many good jokes are crammed in this short book! I was giggling constantly! The pacing is awesome - there is almost no boring moments.

The bad: Hmm... Well, to fully appreciate this book you really have to know all the characters, it's not as standalone as others.

The ugly: Nada.
Cynthia Egbert
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a fun "fable" indeed. My kids love this one for the amazing illustrations. Not all of which I appreciate as much as they do. But the story is still a delight. I think it to be a perfect ending to Cohen the Barbarian. Pure Pratchett. Some favorite quotes:

"The messages were in code, of course. If you have news about the end of the world, you don't want EVERYONE to know."

"No, not craftsmen, my lord," he said. "I have no use for people who have learned the limits of the possible." (One of my
Aoife
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It is impossible to rate just the story, because of the really really beautiful Kidby-pictures on almost every page (well, every page, the few pages without colour-pictures have nice background-images). I mean there are swamp-dragons, moon-dragons, kitties (actually: Death with a kitty, and a kitty playing with the Tail of the Death of Rats), the wizzards, and of course the heroes, the 'silver horde'. They are all awesome, and incredibly detailed, I want all of them as poster for my room XD.

Now
Myles
Aug 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor, the-end, c20th
Due to the large format of this book - which after reading I would never dream of having scaled down - it is not carried in many places; As I was too impatient to wait for it to come in on order, I instead had read it at the local library.

The Last Hero is a great story, when long-standing characters are illustrated it often comes out wrong, but Kirby nailed it, especially with Rincewind and the Gods.

The basic story is in two arcs, focusing on the aging Silver Hoard (last seen in Interesting Tim
Mary Catelli
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy, humor
An illustrated tale, somewhat shorter than usual, of the Discworld. Involving Cohen the Barbarian, Rincewind, and Carrot.

Cohen and his Silver Horde set out, kidnapping a minstrel, to return fire to the gods. The Counterweight Continent sent word by albatross to Ankh-Morpork, where, they figure, they can do something about it.

One thing they can do is figure out that the heroes' plan would destroy the Discworld in minutes.

The resulting story involves rubies, Cohen and the Silver Horde applying the
Felipe Guerrero
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El último héroe le devolverá a los dioses algo que el primer héroe les robó.

¡No podía ser mas épica la premisa!

Cohen el Barbaro, junto a su Horda de Plata, son mis personajes favoritos de esta saga de libros.

Me encantó este libro, ahora este es mi libro favorito del Mundodisco. Gracias señor Pratchett, gracias por escribir este magnifico libro.
Skip
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Cohen the Barbarian and his troupe set off to return fire to the Gods, when their real plan is to set-off a bomb. Meanwhile, the Patrician organizes a team to thwart them, anchored by Leonard of Quirm, Captain Carrot, and Rincewind, which involves rocketing undenearth Discworld. Nicely illustrated, and good to see the characters from a number of Pratchett novels.
Ahmad Sharabiani
May 26, 2016 marked it as to-read
The Last Hero (Discworld, #27; Rincewind #7), Terry Pratchett
Trudy
Readathon Category #11: A funny book
Jasmiina F
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A great story with some of my favorite characters, but what I loved the most was the art. I'm glad I bought this from England and this is definitely staying in my permanent shelf.
Katerina
Un libro di Terry Pratchett è sempre una garanzia ma ci sono volte che cominci con qualche riserva: The Last Hero è un libro illustrato di 176 pagine con, credo, un terzo delle parole che ci sono di solito.
Che sia brutto non te lo aspetti. Che sia meno... sì.
Ma Terry Pratchett è un genio e non dobbiamo mai, mai, dimenticarlo.

A volte non riesco a non pensare a come avrei voluto conoscere Terry Pratchett durante la mia infanzia, e come i miei eventuali figli lo conosceranno durante la loro (se si
Return for the Silver Horde! 6 44 Aug 25, 2013 05:24PM
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Flying Dutch
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • Terry Pratchett
  • After the King: Stories in Honor of J.R.R. Tolkien

More about Terry Pratchett

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“I DON'T HOLD WITH CRUELTY TO CATS.” 229 likes
“Lots of people would be as cowardly as me if they were brave enough.” 207 likes