Start by marking “Keep You Near (DS Marnie Hammond, #1)” as Want to Read:
Keep You Near (DS Marnie Hammond, #1)

Keep You Near

(Marnie Hammond #1)

An explosive serial killer thriller

How far would you go to find your missing sister?

A normal day in the park turns into a nerve shredding nightmare for eleven-year-old Marnie Hammond when she find herself in a desperate chase to stop the 'bad man,' from abducting Abby.

Fifteen years later, Marnie is a Detective Sergeant but the memory of her missing sister still haunts

Published March 9th 2017 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about Keep You Near, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep You Near

Andrea
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't for the faint hearted,serial killer book Marnie sister goes missing years ago and children start to disappear Marnie on the case.luke was a great character he was treated badly by his mum and step parent.he got sent to a home for a crime but wasn't treated well.marnie finds out what happened to him.my god this book was so good really gripping but has some gruesome details some won't like but I really enjoyed this book.highly recommend to crime lovers.cant wait to read more from t ...more
Joanne Robertson
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having read and enjoyed most of the Lasser series by Robin Roughley, I was incredibly excited to find out he was bringing us a new series after signing with the fabulous Bloodhound Books who seem to have The Midas touch these days. This new series features DS Marnie Hammond and I have to say that she has proved to be an absolute winner of a character creation for me!

I always enjoy a crime series more where there is a backstory to the lead character that actually rivals my interest in the crime p
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Keep You Near is the first book in a brand spanking new crime series featuring Marnie Hammond and wow what a book!

Marnie has understandably never gotten over her sister being abducted. When a new case comes up that could finally solve the mystery of her sister, it starts to get a bit much for Marnie. To be fair she does hold it together quite well but Marnie is in total turmoil inside herself.

I have to say Marnie and a young lad called Luke were the stand out characters in this novel for me. I l
Susan Hampson
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
Have you ever wondered what happens to the serial killers that are never caught? Do they simply grow old and retire like you and me? Thinking back on their life's work, their glory moments, the heinous crimes of a child murder that only he can relive because the bodies have never been found. Well there is such a man and a rage like no other is building inside him. . He is like a wounded animal now desperate to reclaim those glory days and no child is safe. He is back and he needs to feel the pow ...more
Joann
This is #1 in a new series with DS Marnie Hammond. This was a great start to a new series that I will be following. I thought it was well written and all the characters were well-fleshed out. Some parts of it seemed to be a overdone but all in all, not a bad start.
Terry  (TBC)
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. A dark story but so riveting.
Robin has done it again with a tale that will keep you hooked

Excellent book great characters. Covering a serial killer, topics of abuse, characters that aren't very nice makes for a really good book that digs deep.
Really interesting fast paced book
Shell Baker
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you looking for a fast paced thriller then look no further. What a start to a new series that is, simply brilliant.

The story starts off with one hell of a prologue where the author describes one chilling scene that was it for me I was hooked. We follow a story where we meet DS Marnie Hammond. She hasn't had it easy with her sister being abducted when she was eleven years old. Having memories that still haunt her. With a killer that is stalking the streets of Kirkhead and human bones are disco
Eva
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not at all familiar with Robin Roughley, who's the bestselling author of the DS Lasser series. But since Keep You Near is the first book in a brand-new series featuring Marnie Hammond, I thought it was a good place to start my introduction to this author.

When Marnie was eleven years old, she was unable to stop a bad man from kidnapping her sister. Now fifteen years later, Marnie is a Detective Sergeant and her current case hits a bit too close to home as skeletal remains are discovered in w
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
WOW!! What a book!! This rarely happens to me but as soon as I started reading the first few pages of 'Keep You Near' I felt immediately sure that this was going to be a fantastic book... and it was! I've just finished reading it and oh my! I still can't shake off the tension.

With this book, author Robin Roughley has started a new thrilling serial killer series and introduced his new heroine, DS Marnie Hammond. In this first book, Jenny Bell, an eight-year-old girl is abducted on her way home f
Lady Delacour
Very interesting story,
held my interest,
will continue on to
next book soon.
D. S. Marnie was likable.
Thought it was cool that
different characters
kept whispering
silent prayers.
Listened with TTS.
Clean except for
Foul Language.
Jackie Roche
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
He's done it again! Robin Roughley is the one author whose books I buy as soon as they are published, without knowing anything about them. Why you may ask? The reason is that each book is more riveting than the last.
Lasser, to me, is one of the more human characters. After 13 books, we know him well. We know all his traits, good and bad, and we love him.
It must be very difficult to create a new character but Mr Roughley has managed it. Marnie is also a police officer but very different from Lass
Natasha du Plessis
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first Robin Roughley book and definitely not the last. This looks to be a very promising series, I loved all the characters as well as the main character Marnie. I also hope we see more of Luke in the books to come. I really enjoyed the writing style of the author. I would recommend this book to all lovers of crime/mystery books.
Nicki Southwell
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Robin tackles some very gritty subjects in this book and does it well.

Police Sergeant Marnie Hammond, recognises a young man who is looking ill, dirty and desperate. She originally arrested him and knew that he had been sentenced to a Young Offenders Unit. Eventually, she persuades him to go home with her so that she can wash his clothes and he can have a bath. She inadvertently sees him out of the bath. His body is covered with bruises, most of them old.

She goes to find out what, if anything,
Kerry  sullivan
|I did not finish this.... the book sparked my imagination but was way too long and slow going so ended up loosing my interest. there were also too many story strands pulling my attention away from the killer it's a shame because the book took a unusual slant with the killer and I was really hooked by that but not enough to put up with all the rest.
Joy Mutter
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Keep You Near is the first book I’ve read by Robin Roughley although I’ve been meaning to do so for some time. It’s an intelligent, enthralling gore fest and maybe not for the squeamish or faint-hearted. I’ve read many thrillers of this type, so I could take the level of violence.

My enjoyment was slightly marred by the punctuation style throughout the book. The author’s use of commas where I’d have used full stops was jarring, but I persevered because I wanted to discover who was killing so many
Caroline Vincent - Bits about Books
Terrible! How can you describe the nightmare following you since your sister was abducted and you were unable to save her? Detective Sergeant Marnie Hammond thinks she has put the past behind her but then a young girl is abducted and somehow the past regains control of the present… There is a young man terrorised by his sister who is keen to let him take the punishment for her deliberate mistakes. Who would believe him? He is a whippersnapper so he is told whilst, yet again, suffering a beating. ...more
Mary
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
DS Marnie Hammond is has an emotional stake in this newest case she's working on. A young girl has been kidnapped and then found, and also the remains of other young girls from years past have been found buried in the woods. This throws Marnie back to her early years when her sister was taken by a dark man in the woods. It makes her dig deeper and gives her a sense of urgency to find this kidnapper and killer. It also brings up a lot of emotional triggers for Marnie. Also in play is a young runa ...more
Carole Benson
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Here is my 5* review.

I loved this book, Marnie & Luke. It is the usual excellent writing skills we expect from Robin but is definitely nothing like the Lasser series. I have never read anything so dark & violent before. I always visualise the story in my head when I am reading. This I saw in complete black & white, no colour at all. Mostly black with the exception of Marnie's flat which was white. No humour, no large team (the only members there are, play a very small role) & cer
Lynda Kelly
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: deleted
I didn't like this at all and jacked it in at 15%. I'd had enough. We kept hearing about the 2 main characters' nightmares all the time and it got beyond tedious for me. And it didn't split the chapters into early and current events. They were a sort of mishmash but all in the same paragraphs so they'd just drift off into their respective (and repetitive) nightmares.
It's not terrifically well presented, either. This sentence was in dire need of another comma, "Marnie kept hold, boy in one hand c
Kimberleigh
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
The blurb about this book was intriguing, and it had quite a few good reviews. I decided to give it a shot. The plot was interesting, but I almost called it quits.

The writing needs work. I understand a mystery/thriller calls for a certain amount of secrecy. The author can't reveal too much too soon. There were so many characters, and I felt they lacked depth. If you want me to stay interested, I need to care about these characters. Additionally, there were so many threads to be woven together i
Jackie White
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW! If I could have given this book 6 stars, I would.

Book 1 of 2 in the DS Marnie series, it introduces Marnie Hammond. When she was only 11, her younger sister was snatched & never found. Years later, Marnie is a DS in the police force & young girls bodies start to be discovered in the local area.

Marnie is torn between wanting to find the killer & wanting to find her sister.

This book is hard hitting, gritty & at times, downright scary - I was literally breathless at times wi
Sarah Potter
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another Robin Roughley masterpiece

Marie Hammond is a woman with tragedy in her past which makes the case of the missing girl almost personal. Time marches on with no sign of the missing girl and so the pain of other families loses must once again be brought up in the hope that a link can be established and the dark monster who stalks the night preying on little girls will be stopped before it's too late.
It seems that there is nothing to link them together and all avenues lead to another frustra
marjorie hall-venmore
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a read

It's gripping from the very beginning and continues all the way through the book, some parts, I could almost feel my hear jump into my mouth, it's dark well written and a sit on the edge of your seat book, I hoped against hope that things would 's end well, the empathy I felt for some of the characters was painful. It's just felt life had been so harsh I wanted them to be kind. DS Marnie is a brilliant character and with her own demons. To deal with. I am going to enjoy this serie
Joan
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This author is new to me, and I'm glad I found him. Keep You Near was an interesting read; the plot was excellent, but not too well organized, making it hard to follow at times. The action was also a little too brutal at times, and the editing was lacking. The weird sprinkling of commas in odd places - sometimes even between subject and predicate of a sentence and sometimes lacking between clauses - was distracting. There were also frequent run-on sentences, causing the reader to have to reread ...more
Leola
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gruesome suspense

This was a freebie and a little too gruesome for my taste, and some foul language. BUT, my taste is not the author's fault. The suspense was top notch. The author throws enough red herrings in the story that made me suspect the wrong person/s. If you like graphic suspense, you'll love this. I would not recommend this to those who are squeamish. There was so problems with commas where they didn't need to be and no commas where they should be. I probably won't read another book by
Mrs Susan J Bociek
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I was scared of the dentist already

A good plot with a strong character in Marnie and the continuing puzzle of her sister's disappearance years ago. I found in places the thoughts of the killer were over-explained, but without giving the reader any insight into his personality. I would have liked to get more of a feel for the old house, and some things didn't sit well - like the clock that was always ticking even with his problems; I feel sure he would have forgotten to wind it!
John Thys
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Marnie a new series by robin roughley eight year old Jenny bell is trying to get home after attending her friends birthday party alas she never gets there as she gets abducted and so we get introduced to DS Marnie Hammond being the first in the series it takes a while to get into the various characters the more you read the more engrossed you become it's a very dark subject matter but I really enjoyed reading the book finding it hard to put down I'm sure this is the start of a very exciting new ...more
Mary Johnson
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first book by this author and enjoyable. The plot is complex and the perspectives change - thankfully with each ‘new’ perspective starting the next chapter. As the story progresses, these strands draw closer.

A complex tale of crimes from the ‘there and then’ interrupting those from the ‘here and now.’ The book engaged me and kept my attention. However, I found it overly long and think it could have been more gripping had it have been shorter.

Without doubt, I will read more by this author
Ms Rita Crawford
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Keep you near

I liked the characters especially Luke n Marnie, however felt the story was drawn out until the final chapters.
With the bad characters disposed off it will be interesting to see what new evil lurks for Marnie
Also if her relationship with Luke will continue as it was beginning to be protective sister/brother I thought
I will read more n maybe 5 stars for next book
Lorraine
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an AWESOME read!!

DS Marnie Hammond is on a case, little girls have gone missing. Marie is part of the investigation. Only to have memories of her little sister being snatched by an unknown man, who she chased and never caught up to him, before he disappeared with her sister. A can't put down read, with an EPIC ending!!
  • Hot Gossip (The Kerry Series, #2)
  • The Lady of the Garter (Ladies of Lore, #1)
  • Cunning Attractions (Squeaky Clean Mysteries, #12)
  • Dark Cotillion (Book One in the Brenna Strachan series)
  • Crazy Little Thing Called Love
  • Mystery at Maplemead Castle (The Chapelwick Mysteries #2)
  • How to Seduce a Queen
  • Lisa Emmer Historical Thrillers Vol. 1-2 (Lisa Emmer Historical Thriller Series)
  • The Wife Maker (The Husband Maker, #3)
  • The First Year (Aylesford Place #1)
  • Meet Me at Willoughby Close (Willoughby Close #2)
  • Somebody Tell Aunt Tillie We're In Trouble! (ToadWitch #2)
  • The Bone Ritual (The Bone Ritual #1)
  • Good Enough for a Princess (The Montevaro Monarchy, #1)
  • Missing (Frank Renzi, #6)
  • Moartea semneaza indescifrabil
  • Lawyers, Guns and Money
  • Tender Love (True Love #1)
Rob Roughley lives in the North West of England (God's coal bunker,the land of the wedding cake made by placing three meat pies on top of one another and whippets on lengths of string)
He is the author of eight crime/thriller novels featuring DS Lasser. The novels are set between the run down streets of a northern town and the beautiful yet desolate west Pennine moors.
If you love your crime fictio

Marnie Hammond (2 books)