Start by marking “A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32; Tiffany Aching, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32; Tiffany Aching, #2)

A Hat Full of Sky

(Discworld #32)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  56,659 ratings  ·  1,750 reviews
WE SEE YOU. NOW WE ARE YOU.

No real witch would casually step out of their body, leaving it empty.

Tiffany Aching does. And there’s something just waiting for a handy body to take over. Something ancient and horrible, which can’t die.

To deal with it, Tiffany has to go to the very heart of what makes her a witch . . .
Published May 5th 2005 by Corgi Childrens (first published April 29th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Hat Full of Sky, please sign up.
Cliff Jr. There is so much re-description of the Nac Mac Feegle in the beginning and general recapping throughout that I don't think you'll be lost if you start…moreThere is so much re-description of the Nac Mac Feegle in the beginning and general recapping throughout that I don't think you'll be lost if you start with this one. It's a stand-alone story in its own right, whether you know how Tiffany Aching got her start in witching or not.

That being said, you've really got to read The Wee Free Men, so if you choose to start with A Hat Full of Sky, it should only be because you're too impatient to wait until you can get ahold of a copy of The Wee Free Men.(less)
Anna she's about 11 and yes it can, but there are occasional references to what has happened in the previous book!

·  56,659 ratings  ·  1,750 reviews

Lyn
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Terry Pratchett’s best.

I don’t often gush for a book, but this one was very good. Pratchett’s 2004 Discworld story Hat Full of Sky (and second featuring Tiffany Aching and her friends the pictsies – the Nac Mac Feegle wee free men) was a joy to read.

I’d like to see this made into a film just to see how a clever and talented director handled Miss Level. Like all of Pratchett’s Discworld books, this is wryly funny and sardonically playful and he takes on some heavy themes like family, tradi
Charity
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Nac Mac Feegles hae got me tawkin' lae 'em. Crivens! It's a wee bittie story o' hags right enough, the big wee hag o' the hills bein' the verra center o' it all, but it may gi' ye a bad case o' the thinkin'.

I dinna like tae stop readin'.

(To the the Bigjobs: Discworld just keeps getting better and better. Keep a sharp eye out and you will see many references to other stories hidden in the telling.)
Joey Woolfardis
"Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving."

[First read: 8th June, 2013. 4 Stars.
Second read: 23rd July, 2018. 4 Stars.]

The second of the Tiffany Aching series on Discworld came quickly after the first, with only one other Discworld novel separating them. Tiffany is now a few years older and is off to sta
Carrie
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is technically a young adult book (and yes, I do read grown-up books, I just went on a bit of a YA tear after my Powell’s extravaganza), but the only reason for so labeling it is that the main character is a teenager. It is hard to explain how great this book is if you haven’t read any Pratchett, but, then again, why haven’t you read any Pratchett? His books about the Discworld started out a pun-filled parodies of fantasy novels, and have evolved into satires on our modern world that usuall ...more
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Dedicated to the memory of Sir Terry Pratchett, who passed away soon after I started reading the book.

I have made, over the past twenty years, many friends among the inhabitants of the wacky disc-shaped world sailing through space on the backs of four elephants, carried in their turn by a giant turtle. Starting with Rincewind, then with Sam Vimes and his Ankh-Morpork guards, Lord Vetinari, the wizards of the Unseen University, the banana loving Librarian, the sentient multi-legged Luggage, Moist
It’s been two years since Tiffany Aching and her allies, the Wee Free Men, stormed Fairyland, knocked the Queen out with a frying pan, and rescued both Tiffany’s little brother Wentworth and Roland, son of the Baron of the Chalk.

This exploit brought Tiffany to the notice of the Witches, under the leadership of the formidable Mistress Weatherwax. Now they’ve arranged for her to be apprenticed to Miss Level, who lives in the mountains and is considered a bit “odd” even by witch standards.

Tiffany l
Juanes
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Freakin' Terry Pratchett rules. What in the world have i been doing with all my life? I have so many books to read! However i sit inspired by the bravery of Rob Anybody and, therefore, i shall fling myself head first with no helmet...one fearsome book at a time. A Hatful of Sky is a follow up to The Wee Free Men. It picks up just where the other left off and continues Terry's incredibly witty fantasy which clearly stand a bar above other fanatsy.
Martyn Stanley
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Tiffany Aching series and it has some really memorable moments in it. Granny Weatherwax plays a much more prominent role here too!

Before I get into the review, the obligatory free plug. I write too Mainly fantasy and folklore.
Lady Death (Deathsworn Arc, #0.5) by Martyn Stanley The Last Dragon Slayer (Deathsworn Arc, #1) by Martyn Stanley The Verkreath Horror (Deathsworn Arc, #2) by Martyn Stanley The Blood Queen (Deathsworn Arc, #3) by Martyn Stanley Rise of the Archmage (Deathsworn Arc, #4) by Martyn Stanley The Temple of the Mad God (Deathsworn Arc, #5) by Martyn Stanley The Lambton Worm by Martyn Stanley Return of the Worm Slayer (The Lambton Worm #2) by Martyn Stanley

Right! Apologies for that. Onto the review. I read this to my daughter Emily. Ever since I told her about the Wee Free Men she was fascinated and after reading her the first book she's a convert. We've already started Wintersmit
Nicholas Karpuk
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: You
I can not seem to convince anyone to try Discworld.

Damndest thing, I would think that his great stories, great insight, and amazing humor would be an easy sell, but I can't convince most readers I know to so much as read the first page in my copy of "The Colour of Magic," even if they're voracious fantasy readers.

Maybe it's the fact that I use the words "fantasy" and "funny" in the same sentence. Most fantasy writers are the most humorless artists imaginable, so it seems like the dissonance is t
Anna
I waited for nearly two years after reading The Wee Free Men, fearing that the next book wouldn't stand up to it. I shouldn't have worried!

Tiffany still has first, second and third thoughts.

“First Thoughts are the everyday thoughts. Everyone has those. Second Thoughts are the thoughts you think about the way you think. People who enjoy thinking have those. Third Thoughts are thoughts that watch the world and think all by themselves. They’re rare, and often troublesome. Listening to them is part
Fiona
I was going to say, this isn't what I should have been reading - I seem to have found myself with a to-do list as long as my arm at the moment - but it's exactly what I needed.

In A Hat Full of Sky, Pratchett tackles growing up in the sense of taking responsibility for things, and understanding the difference between the things you want, and the things you actually do. As someone who has spent quite a lot of the last six weeks howling "It must be so nice not to have to take the initiative/solve t
Valerie
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
For a children’s book it has more complexity than I would've expected. I remember after reading Tiffany Aching’s first book I thought it was just so strange and didn't get what was going on at the end. The climax in this one had a similar sort of the thing going but I understood it better this time around. Maybe it’s because I'm older or that Pratchett explained it easier this time, I don't know.

So here we have Tiffany in the beginning of her witch training and things are not going the way she
Marta
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor, own-print
Pratchett is brilliant an witty, as usual. Tiffany is the most talented young witch - teaming up with the greatest old witch, my personal favorite, Granny Weatherwax. Deep, mystical, sandy, and very human lessons are learned. The Nac Mac Feegle never abandon Tiffany, nor Special Sheep Liniment. The quirky side characters are fun: Miss Level with her two bodies and circus past, along with Oswald, the obsessively tidy poltergeist. We also get a much more jovial version of Witch Trials than in hist ...more
Katie  Hanna
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Upstairs, an old woman, all in faded black, is lying on a narrow bed. But you wouldn't think she was dead, because there is a big card on a string around her neck that reads:

I ATE'NT DEAD

. . . and you have to believe it when it's written down like that."

^^^basically, the entire book
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my LOCUS Y-A list.

I think I’ll always have a soft-spot for imaginative young-adult speculative fiction and as the good people at Locus did such a grand job with picking their Sci-Fi winners, I’ll trust them to single out some special y-a books too.

I've never t
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
I quite enjoyed the first book of the Tiffany Aching arc of Discworld, The Wee Free Men, but A Hat Full of Sky steps it up a notch. I love how Terry Pratchett plays with words. There is a subtlety and then sometimes it is so in your face. It is a gift. Tiffany Aching is a tad different from the rest of his Discworld books as this is more of a middle grade/young adult read. It is just a bit easier to be drawn into the world I feel.

In this book our Tifany is two years older and she is finally star
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
I had mentioned, in my review for The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30), that I had been, for some reason, avoiding the Tiffany Aching series of Discworld but, after a bit of prompting, picked up Wee Free Men and enjoyed it and looked forward to continuing the series.

And I'm ever so glad that I did as I liked this installment even better than the last.

We see Tiffany a bit older and off to learn witching from Miss Level, a witch twice the usual breed, but finding herself a bit bored with what amounts
YouKneeK
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Hat Full of Sky is the 2nd book in the Tiffany Aching subseries of Discworld. I really enjoyed this one, maybe slightly more than I enjoyed the first Tiffany Aching book. It had an equally good story, and I thought it was a bit funnier.

In this book, Tiffany is now eleven and she leaves her home on the chalk for the first time so she can learn how to be a proper witch. She travels to the mountains where she’ll serve as an apprentice for a witch named Miss Level, who is a bit unusual. Meanwhile
Kaethe Douglas
2010 August 17
2004 August 20

Well, Voyage of the Dawn Treader is out, and Terry Pratchett is in for the read aloud. As fond as I am of the former, I'm perfectly willing to cast it aside. Tiffany Aching is a marvelous character who thinks all the time. As does Pratchett. Unlike Lewis, Pratchett's world is rich and detailed and it works. The Nac Mac Feegle are delightful low-comedy anti-fairies and a good foil to the thoroughly mundane business of sheep-farming.

As an aside, Pratchett has just descr
Rebecca
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tiffany leaves home to learn the skills of a witch, grows up a little bit, is misguided by social pressure, and finds her way back. As usual for Pratchett this is so darned heartwarming. A huge part of being a witch involves helping people, even the ones that don't know they want/need it. Along the way she is opened up to a bodysnatching evil that requires some intervention from Nac Mac Feegles.

Something I've never noticed about Discworld books before but realized here, Pratchett at times gives
Robin Stevens
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tiffany is a fantastic heroine, and these are some of my favourite Pratchett books. I think that anyone 10+ could read and love any of his books (although you might be a bit confused about some of the jokes he makes, as I was), but these are particularly about and for kids. Re-reading them now, they're as funny and adventureous as ever. A perfect way to get into Pratchett. 8+

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. Please do not use it in any marketing material, online or in
Nathan
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wee Free Men, while still entertaining, didn't catch me on reread quite like it did the first time through. A Hat Full of Sky on the other hand was pure magic and everything I remember it being. My favorite Aching book.
Nina
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finished this last night after my partner put in a heroic effort to read three nights in a row so I could recover from my rehearsal schedule.
And? I loved it! It had so many of my favorite people: Tiffany, Granny Weatherwax, and Death! If you have someone in your life that would be willing to share reading this book out loud with you, I highly recommend it, not only because you can laugh at each other's Nac Mac Feegle dialect pronunciation.
Chris
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent young adult fantasy series continuing the adventures of one Tiffany Aching, witch.
Andree
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, re-read
Slowly continuing the Pratchett read-through. This one is another re-read, but not one that I'd read in many years. The Tiffany Aching universe is pretty great. I'm really liking the element of Granny Weatherwax essentially mentoring someone who *could* be her successor, in a way.

This isn't as good as The Wee Free Men, which isn't so much a criticism as a statement, because TWFM is pretty brilliant. Also, I remembered almost nothing about the plot of this book between now and when I first read i
Raluca
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I found my first Tiffany Aching book (it was I shall wear Midnight and bless Terry's soul for finishing The Sheppard's Crown before he crossed the great black desert) I realized I had found a friend. There's something truly magical in the way Sir Pratchett uses words and even the smallest keen observation to make a notion so different than it was before, to make you realize something that you knew perhaps all along but hadn't seen it properly until you read these words and I think that's wh ...more
Skip
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy
Tiffany Aching is apprenticed to Miss Level, a witch with two bodies. While under her employ, Tiffany is possessed by an evil spirit, known as a hiver. Assisted by the hilarious Nac Mac Feegles, led by the aptly named Rob Anybody, she has to exorcise this demon and then outwit this enemy that cannot be vanquished. Meanwhile, she also allies herself with Granny Weatherwax, one of the premier witches of her day. Amusing romp, like the first book in the series.
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32; Tiffany Aching, #2), Terry Pratchett
Ric
It’s been a long time since I read The Wee Free Men, and I remember liking Tiffany Aching a lot when I did, so like all Discworld books I expected to be entertained. A Hat Full of Sky did that and more, because I loved every second of this book. It was one of the very best Discworld novels that I have ever read, and one of the best books I’ve read so far this year. Tiffany is a perfect Discworld protagonist, she’s intelligent, resourceful, and takes the ridiculousness around her in stride. The N ...more
Chloe
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I loved this one so much, it's charming and fun and has some surprisingly deep and meaningful quotes as Terry always was so good at writing amidst all the humour of his work. I'll never stop missing his presence in the world but his words will live forever.
Around the Year i...: A Hat Full of Sky, by Terry Pratchett 2 17 Apr 11, 2018 07:38PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Hat Full of Sky 1 7 Sep 10, 2012 06:17PM

• Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • They Came and Ate Us: Armageddon II: The B-Movie
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Golden Trilobite (Girl Genius, #6)
  • Year of the Griffin (Derkholm, #2)
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Expecting Someone Taller
  • Book of Enchantments

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” 5389 likes
“Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” 1333 likes