Start by marking “Brazen Angel (Brazen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Brazen Angel (Brazen, #1)

Brazen Angel

(Brazen #1)

Giles Corliss, Lord of Trahern, races through the streets after the sapphire-eyed Brazen Angel, determined to catch London's most audacious thief. Unknown to the lord, the masked mistress leads a double life as the beautiful, fragile Lady Sophia d'Artiers...Giles' intended.
Published July 7th 1997 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Brazen Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brazen Angel

Start your review of Brazen Angel (Brazen, #1)
Michelle
I m not really sure what to say about this book. It's my first historical romance book and it was ok. The story was interesting but a lil slow in parts. I found that it would get good that I would get bored it didn't really hold my attention. I did want to know how things turned out with the Brazen Angel and Lord Trahern. I wish I could actually say more about the book but I didn't hate it or love it. I don't really think historical romance are my thing but I m glad I gave it ago.
Manvir
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Lady Sophia d'Artiers disguised as the Brazen Angel seduces and steals from wealthy nobles. The Marquess of Trahern, Giles Corliss, is determined to find out the true identity of this brazen thief. (Honestly I feel that sums up the plot and everything else was just padding)

It started off good but I found this book to be kinda slow and boring. I didn't like any of the characters much. Didn't see any real passion let alone love between Sophia and Giles. The 'larger' story about the french revoluti
Books&Friends
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Both Giles and Sophia are spies and in this story often cross the channel between England and France during the French Revolution. Well lets say, given the difficulties of traveling at that time,made this part of the story highly unrealistic. Basically the revolution is wallpaper to this character driven book. The true gritty details of that time were glossed over and the language was modernistic. Probably not for those who like authentic historical novels.
BUT when the author offered occasional
Doreen
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book carries you along. After you've finished it, you might think that there are one or two flaws in the plot; nevertheless, and in spite of sometimes getting a bit cross with the heroine for never confiding in the hero, it's a good read, and I always make extra allowances for first published books by an author I like.
Mandy Desay
Sep 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF'd, This just wasn't for me.
Barbara
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great story set in the French Revolution era when Fouche and Rospierre were in power. Sophia is from an aristocratic family who are going to Madame Guillotine any day. Giles is a British agent seeking to find out who betrayed another agent, Webb. Little does he know that his betrothed (arranged by his father before his death) is Sophia. Meanwhile she is stealing from English aristocrats to raise enough money to free her family. It is a dagerous path for her-a long ago lover complicates everythin ...more
Lynne Tull
A trilogy of suspense...Brazen Angel was a little too brazen for me. This story takes place during the French Revolution and involves a lot of daring rescues. Since this is a 'Romance' novel, I knew all would end well. It was a complete fantasy. I could never convince myself that the heroine could have been so 'brazen' during that time period of history. Hoping for something better in the next book "Brazen Heiress"...which takes place in Russia during the reign of Catherine the Great. hmmmm?
Maggie Hesseling
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I love a good spy novel. With lots of intrigue and terror. In probably one of the scariest moments of French history, this novel uses the back drop to show how fleeting life is, and how important love is in these circumstances. The Brazen Angel, though a thief, becomes heroic- a robin hood figure, which creates a tempting and diverting read. Each page brings a new smile.
Rox
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I have huge expectations about this book since it was widely praised for Boyle's debut novel. However, the drama surrounding their romance fell short and repetitive like it's trying to put some real historical facts instead of "wallpaper history" but in the process, the added conflicts didn't blend well with the romance.
 ☆Ruth☆
I keep picking up these romances, in the hope of finding an author that comes somewhere close to Georgette Heyer... I'll just have to continue trying. I managed to get a quarter of the way through this before relegating it to the discard pile; but perhaps if you're fond of bodice rippers this book might be to your taste.
Sandi aka Maudley
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this a few years ago. I forgot that it wasn't a favorite of mine and tried it again. It is still not a favorite - if I don't like the characters, it's hard to enjoy a book, so again, I didn't.
Carolyn
This book is the first book of the Brazen Trilogy. It is filled with Suspense, Romance, lots of twists and turns and is so action packed that it keeps you turning those pages quickly. The story is set in the French Revolution Era.

Giles Corliss, Lord Trahern, is an undercover British Agent who has been betrothed to Lady Sophia d'Artiers, by his father on his deathbed.
Sophia leads a double life, one as a fragile, sickly miss and the other as the beautiful, seductress known as the Brazen Angel. Wi
Stacey Smith
This is another one of those free books I got off of Amazon. I thought it looked interesting enough to give it a try.

I thought it might be one of those cheesy romance novels that had more smut than story, but I was actually wrong in that way of thinking this time. The story was well thought out and had lots of twists and turns and kept me on the edge, wanting to know how it would turn out.

The romance (and smut) was also good. It was a good tease, leaving me feeling like i wanted more and when
Deb Diem
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brazen Angel is an awesome historical romance by Elizabeth Boyle. Ms. Boyle has provided us with a well-written book. The characters are amazing. Giles is on the hunt for London's notorious Brazen Angel, not aware that she's the same woman he's soon to wed. Sophia plays the part of the Brazen Angel to steal from her targets. Giles and Sophia's story is packed with drama, humor, sizzle, action and suspense. I enjoyed reading Brazen Angel and look forward to reading more from Elizabeth Boyle soon. ...more
Lori D
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I actually read this book a couple of years ago when I picked up this book at the bookstore. Once I read this one I was hooked and read every book Elizabeth Boyle had published that was available! Lady Sophia D'Artiers is living a double like, unknown to the Ton or her admirers. Her persona during the day, a weak and sickly woman. But at night, she was a seductress and unknown to her victims! That was all to change once she met her betrothed, Giles Corliss, Marquess of Trahern, Follow this adven ...more
Brenda
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth Reading

I really enjoyed reading this book. I read a lot of different types of romance novels and find that most of the time they run along the same type of story line. The author of the Brazen Angel added more to the story and the female character was written well. She remained strong throughout the book and did not give up herself to be with her love. Nothing was taken away from the main characters to remain true to themselves and I enjoyed the twist and turns of the story line.
Joycee
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delight! I read this as part of the Brazen Trilogy (thanks, Kindle Unlimited!).

Once I gave up skipping ahead and trying to figure out when Giles would identify the titular Brazen Angel and what would happen when he did, I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Giles and Sophia are good for each other - although they are each formidable on their own, they each slowly learned that they make quite an impressive team.

I also liked the twist at the end with Emma, and how the nogoodniks that the Robin-Ho
Zena
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely delightful story of love and loving that takes the reader right into the heart of the French Revolution and gives you an insight as to what could possibly have occurred.
The two main characters play a wonderful cat and mouse game with each other and it has been written in a way that keeps you guessing from scene to scene.
Full of surprises, twists and turns, good wit and a page turner of note.
I loved and totally enjoyed this book.
HR-ML
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Took place after the French Revolution.

Giles was a marquess, fluent in many languages &
Sophia a French-speaking lady of many personas.
Giles thought Sophia a thief? true? She lead Giles
on a merry chase.

Sophia flirted with & tangled with dangerous men
who could have her killed. She flaunted curfews &
'pushed the envelop.' Author depicted her as strong
& daring, but she skirted TSTL territory. The rescue
strained credibility. The story contained a love story?

Blondie
Sep 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
completely unbelievable

The first thing the hero should have done was unmask the heroine and not the last thing. I am so disappointed that I wasted my time reading this story but I kept thinking that with all the great ratings it would surely get better but I was wrong! So very wrong! I personally could not get over the fact that the unmasking did not happen sooner.
LemontreeLime
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super gonzo spy plot set against French revolution. But I'll tell you why I love Elizabeth Boyles stories even if they are six shades of implausible, the details she dreams up can be magical. As soon as I read the description of the brazen angels first costume, the morality play embroidered dress and half skull mask, I knew I'd be reading the whole book looking for more amazing ideas like that.
Becca
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brazen Angel

This story was a little different from the other books I've read by Elizabeth Boyle. Still taking place in England, this particular book also involves a turbulent France. Not sure how spies actually operated in those days, but loved how brazen and sure of herself that the main female character was.
Lisa Spofford
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bravo! Another strong independent heroine

I love Elizabeth Boyle's work. The idea of a young woman being strong enough to accomplish all that she did in that time period is wonderful to contemplate. One point for feminism. I do feel that Boyle's earlier work lacks the humor that she develops in her later books. It is definitely worth a read
Anita Rohn
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liked

Suspenseful humorous and some historical data tossed into the mix. Strong willed characters who have a hidden past and set out to keep secrets. But find each other passionate and caring.
Danielle Carpenter
An amazing adventure

This book is intriguing and the lady is brazen. There is nothing Sophia won't do for those she loves. Giles Trahern must realize this if he is ever to capture the "brazen angel". This story will hold you till the very end.
Louiseann Walter
AMAZING and AMUSING!

This was a FABULOUS historical book. How the agents were fooled by a mere woman and the tales of French Revolution intertwined with love and arranged has were astounding! I m looking forward to more of Brazen tales.
Karen Scotti
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Elizabeth Boyle is one of the best Historical Romance Author's in the literary world today. The first book in her brazen series is humorous and action packed. I recommend it highly!
Sharyn
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brazen

Not quite sure if I liked this book. It is so different then her other books! Not quite believable, could people really go back and forth between England and France during the revolution? But ifvyou like spy romance, you might like this.
Michele Wyllie
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent historical romance novel.

Very different plot for this type novel. I enjoyed the fierce personality of the main character. The motivation behind her escapades surprised me. I wanted to keep reading about her even when the book ended.
Marilyn
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

It's hard to believe that this is Ms Boyle,'s first book. I thoroughly
enjoyed this story. Loved the characters.
And the great chemistry between Giles and Sophia. I'm ready for the rest of the series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Bad Luck Bride (The Cavensham Heiresses #1)
  • The Seduction of Lord Stone (Dashing Widows, #1)
  • The Beloved Scoundrel
  • Lion's Bride
  • Love's Charade
  • Catching Captain Nash (Dashing Widows, #6)
  • Barely a Bride (Free Fellows League #1)
  • The Wicked Husband (Blackhaven Brides #4)
  • A Bride for the Betrayed Earl
  • The Discarded Wife
  • A Beauty for the Scarred Duke
  • Seducing the Bride (Brides of Mayfair Series Book 1)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Hunting Season
  • The Seduction of Madalyn
  • The Countess (Madison Sisters #1)
  • The Reluctant Reformer
  • The Beast of Aros Castle (Highland Isles, #1)
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.

Brazen (3 books)
  • Brazen Heiress (Brazen, #2)
  • Brazen Temptress (Brazen, #3)