Start by marking “Suitors and Sabotage” as Want to Read:
Suitors and Sabotage

Suitors and Sabotage

(Suitors and Sabotage)

Shy aspiring artist Imogene Chively has just had a successful Season in London, complete with a suitor of her father's approval. Imogene is ambivalent about the young gentleman until he comes to visit her at the Chively estate with his younger brother in tow. When her interest is piqued, however, it is for the wrong brother.

Charming Ben Steeple has a secret: despite being
Published April 17th 2018 by Swoon Reads

Warda
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
[3.5]
Need to read more books by this author. My heart. This was just the cutest story about a girl and her dreams, going after her heart and art. I love it when books explore characters pursuing their passions. I get weak by it every time.

I had so much fun reading it.

——————————————

Buddy-reading with me bookish partner-in-crime and enabler!

I’m expecting some good ol’ historical fiction romance. We all know how adorable they can get.
❄️Nani❄️
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
A lighthearted romance in all its quintessential Englishness.

”... I am a reader. Nothing that I like better than quiet days of contemplation and the written word."

The art of seduction at its finest, ladies and gents. A man after my own heart.

Buddy read with Ma gurl!
Alyssa
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-releases
4.5 stars. Might round up to five, haven't decided!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Suitors and Sabotage by Cindy Anstey
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Publication Date: April 17, 2018
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Stacee
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
I have loved all of Cindy’s previous books, so I was beyond eager to start reading this one.

I loved Imogene and Ben. She’s smart and he’s charming and together they’re really good people with the most chemistry you could have during this time period. I’m a sucker for the longing filled glances from across a room and while we do get a bit of banter from them, the pesky fact that Imogene is nearly engaged to Ben’s brother is quite a fun snag.

Plot wise, it was delightful. There was a big group of
Tin
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
The story started as Imogene was supposed to be engaged to Ernest but as we get through the book, Imogene realized that she isn’t in love with Ernest but only see him as a friend because her heart belonged to Ernest’s brother, Ben. Imogene is a shy lady with a passion for arts. She is awkward to talked to unless they talk about something she loves. Ben on the other hand is quite a gentleman who women loves, has a passion for architecture and dream of being an architect one day. Imogene and Ben w ...more
Scrill
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC received from Netgalley for a fair review.

When Imogene has a good season in London, her family deems it best for the most suitable gentleman to join them over the summer. She is eager to get to know her suitor better as a proposal is bound to come, that is until she meets his younger brother. As Imogene and Ben spend more time together, they do their best to fight off their growing feelings. However, it seems that someone amongst them seems to be plotting against Ben as many incidents happen
Nadhira Satria
Jan 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
I mean when do I ever say no to historical fiction?
Wing (bibliomeds)
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
love this one so much omg, such a lovely and engaging story with just the right amount of plot twists.
the main couple is so cute and ahhhhhhhh i'm a sucker for this stuff.
can't wait to read the next Cindy Anstey book!
Cathy
In which a young lady finds her attention is drawn to her charming but rather serious suitor’s hotter younger brother.’

Apologies to Cindy Anstey for my rather poor attempt to emulate her humorous chapter headings that playfully evoke the era of Jane Austen. Some of my favourites include:
‘In which hands and fluff are subjects of a deep discussion.’
‘In which the words “dreadful” and “secret” are bandied about.’
‘In which a question about the question is questioned.’

Imogene (with curious ‘e’ on the
mith
hello friends, you can read this review on my blog as well!
---
I am a bit unsure about Suitors and Sabotage. One the one hand, I did like the growing attraction between Ben and Imogene. On the other, it was really messy and complicated between the two.

This third novel by Anstey is probably the most worrying historical rom-com she’s written, or at least, that’s how it felt like to me. It’s almost like that one Shakespeare play! Imogene is gearing up for a potential engagement to Ernest, Benjamin’s
Karlita | Tale Out Loud
Actual rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
"Love was a gift, a compliment. It might not be reciprocated..."
Imogene Chively's suitor Ernest Steeple arrived at the Gracebridge Manor a little too early with his brother Ben Steeple. She was expected to say yes whenever Ernest asked her hand in marriage, especially her father. However, it turned out that Ben has caught Imogene’s eyes even more than it should be because Mr. Chively had always Ernest's company instead of spending it together with Imogene to
Biz
As a huge Jane Austen and Regency-era fan this book seemed right up my ally, but unfortunately I was just so incredibly….. bored and uninterested that I decided it just wasn’t worth it when I could be reading something I actually want to read, you know? You feel? You get me?

First off, the characters were kind of, like, boring. And flat. And two-dimensional. And I just didn’t really care about any of them. I want to be able to like my characters, or, at the very least, have them be interesting to
Khadidja ~on hiatus~
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was kind of a mess.

RTC God knows when.
✨ Kaira ✨
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Characters - 4
Plot - 3.5
Writing style - 4
Romance - 4

In which a shy eighteen-year-old girl fell in love with her intended's flirty younger brother.

Characters - I think they're okay. Sometimes hilarious and sometimes annoying.

And, dear Lord, I just can't see the whole female lead being shy. I mean, sure, she tends to refuse to look at people's eyes but that's where her so-called-shyness stops.

I love the heroine's best friend. Usually, she's the type of characters I easily get annoyed with but
Grace
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book has such a nice cover and, as a fan of both Jane Austen and mysteries, I was hype to read Suitors and Sabotage. Reading the other reviews here has got me a little disquieted, because most of them are full of praise, and the one word I came away with to describe this book was "trash."

I thought it would be both a mystery, and a Regency social drama type romance. The mystery aspect is barely there at all -- mildly odd things happen occasionally, and no one even acknowledges that there's a
Kassie
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've come to realize that I really enjoy historical fiction whether it has magic or not.

Question that I don't have an answer to: was this story inspired by the play, The Importance of Being Ernest ????

We follow a story of a group of four - essentially a very messy love square while also realizing one of them may be in serious danger of getting hurt in a purposeful accident.

I LOVED all of the characters in this story. Cindy Anstey did an amazing job creating characters that made it hard to know
Alexandra
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1018
I received an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

I really enjoyed Suitors and Sabotage! There is a unique style in Cindy's books that reminds you strongly of Pride and Prejudice"! All the English form and attitude, the shy heroine who at the same time wants more for herself and even the small funny moments between the scenes.

The romance is sweet and adorable between Ben and Imogene! Like a teenage historical movie, you expect to happen and can't he
Kayla
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is described as Pride and Prejudice meets the romance of A Midsummers Night Dream... I had to pick it. I really liked this though like historical fiction really isn't my most read genre but I've been getting into so much more of it lately and loving it and this was not an exception.
Jes Drew
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can always count on Cindy Anstey for a nice, comfortable regency read that feels like it was written in Jane Austen's time. This one was no different, and Benjamin was so charming. Also, Imogene is so relateable as the shy artist who likes to teach. Their chemistry was undeniable, and made all the sweeter by Benjamin's special bond with his brother and Imogene's special bond with her best friend. This is a clean (at least, I don't remember many bad words) summer read as we follow three familie ...more
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Another utterly delightful YA historical romance from Cindy Anstey! The romantic entanglements and the mysterious accidents befalling one of the suitors created for quite a web of intrigue. Cindy writes such charming characters and stories, with witty banter and English manners. Though I do wish there was a tad more kissing. :) I can't wait to read what she writes next! Her books always leave me feeling light-hearted and giddy.
Cameron
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Reminded me of Sense and Sensibility.
Vee ♔WitchStitchWhich♔
I hope this is a great fluffy romance followed by some stabby stabby
✦ Maica ✦
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. Imogene was a very loveable character. She was sweet, strong willed and intelligent. I loved how she respected Emily and Ernest so much to the point that she was smothering her feelings towards Ben. And seeing Ben doing the same thing was very amendable. He loved Imogene but he also loved his brother. And he was willing to give her up if it meant that his brother would be happy. (view spoiler) ...more
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Y'all. This was a full on struggle bus of a story. I was bored. There was no character development, bad pacing, and I have yet to figure out what the actual plot was aside from girls BEGGING boys to marry them. If you want me to believe this was supposed to be a type of mystery then you need to sell that somewhere else because I'm not buying. You want me to sit and wonder who would "pull pranks" like putting a burr under a horse saddle or moving the dog? PFFFT. I have less than no cares when it ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, romance, arcs, 2018, historical
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Last year, I read my first Cindy Anstey book, Duels and Deception. I found it so delightful, and can honestly say, that history repeated itself here with Suitors and Sabotage.

•Pro: Imogene played the part of the a lady, but she had dreams of doing her own thing and being more than just a wife and lady of the manor. Her passion and her conviction were fabulous, and I love that Anstey always gives us a somewhat feminist heroine in all her books.

•Pro: Ben was so charming, and I ad
Candyce Kirk
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book. If you aren't a fan of love triangles, this isn't a book for you, haha. I have to say I didn't mind it in this book. The mystery element was nice as well.

I am part of the blog tour and my full review can be read here: https://thebookdutchesses.wordpress.c...
Austine (NovelKnight)
This book was provided by the publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but Suitors and Sabotage reminded me a bit of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. To be fair, it's referenced in the book as the play the characters put on at one point so perhaps there was more intent there than I initially thought.

The third of Anstey's historical romances, I'm at odds with how I felt about this one. I've enjoyed her previous
Alisha
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a cute romantic comedy set in...Regency times, I think?
Imogene and her family are set to entertain a young man who is visiting as an avowed suitor for her hand. However, his younger brother Ben is the one who really catches Imogene's interest. Both of them spend the length of the novel trying to do the "right" thing in denying their feelings for each other, but, of course, things are going to get satisfactorily resolved. I liked that Imogene and Ben bond over art and architecture.

Ther
Teresa
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cindy Anstey has done it again! Another adorable, swoon worthy story set in the Regency era had me hooked from the first chapter. Don't even get me started on how amazing and charming Benjamin Steeple is....I think he is by far my new favorite leading man from Anstey! Imogen is pretty amazing as well; I loved her quiet determination to do what she loved no matter how others perceived her.
Thanks to MacMillan for the ARC!
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Feb 18, 2018 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always by: Alyssa
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
YA Buddy Readers'...: Suitors and Sabotage by Cindy Anstey (starting may 9) 5 7 May 14, 2018 03:20AM

• Among the Red Stars
  • Ember Days
  • A Dress for the Wicked
  • These Ruthless Deeds (These Vicious Masks, #2)
  • Castle of Lies
  • Over Raging Tides (Lady Pirates, #1)
  • The Tombs
  • The True Adventures of Nicolo Zen
  • Brief Space Between Color and Shade
  • Shadow Call (Kaitan Chronicles, #2)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Seeking Mansfield (Seeking Mansfield, #1)
  • Glow
  • Anya's War
  • Dressed for Death (Drew Farthering Mystery #4)
  • The Beloved Wild
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Soldier's Secret: The Story of Deborah Sampson
Whenever she is not sitting at the computer, painting, gardening or reading, Cindy can be found--actually, not found--adventuring around the province with her hubby.

She has lived on three continents, had a monkey in her yard and a scorpion under her sink, dwelt among castles and canals and enjoyed the jazz of Beale St.

Cindy loves history, mystery and... a chocolate Labrador called Chester. The H

Suitors and Sabotage (2 books)
  • Carols and Chaos