Start by marking “Haunted Nights” as Want to Read:
Haunted Nights

Haunted Nights

Sixteen never-before-published chilling tales that explore every aspect of our darkest holiday, Halloween, co-edited by Ellen Datlow, one of the most successful and respected genre editors, and Lisa Morton, a leading authority on Halloween.
In addition to stories about scheming jack-o'-lanterns, vengeful ghosts, otherworldly changelings, disturbingly realistic haunted attr
Published October 3rd 2017 by Anchor Books

karen
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
here is a list i made for riffle! this book is on it!

reviewing short story collections is hard. i do not like doing it. so i am going to rock the same style as i did in my review for The Doll Collection: a teaser line or two pulled from the text along with an image i feel is representative of each story's particulars. this may seem lazy, but it actually takes WAY more time to pull together, given my stubborn and time-eating conviction that if i keep scour
Amalia Gavea
"Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?" "With graveyard weeds and wolfsbane seeds, and empty graves all in a row."

Who would pass a book entitled Haunted Nights? Would you pass it? I think not. And do it came to that this collection of stories was added to the October reading list and took priority over other books. I was optimistic that I would enjoy the collection, but I believed that nothing too special was in store. I thought I'd find tales that would be eerie, mildly creep
Bradley
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-shelf, horror
This new collection of Horror (or I should say strictly Halloween stories,) was probably the best surprise I got this month. I generally don't expect all that much about made-to-order stories based on a theme, but every single one of these was consistently awesome. Some were rather extraordinary.

Something else that comes as a rather nice surprise was the fact that I've been following most of these authors anyway, so I'm getting a feel for what they'd do naturally and I can even get a sense as to
Char
4.5/5 stars!

Haunted Nights collects several previously unpublished stories from an array of excellent authors-with the bonus that they're all connected- by Halloween. It may not be exactly the Halloween that we as Americans are used to, but the seeds are still the same-whether they're sown in Scotland or Ohio. I found quite a few stories to shine for me in this anthology and here are a few of them:

John Langan's Lost in the Dark is one of my favorite types of haunting tales-the disconcerting
Eilonwy
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
It's tough to review books of short stories, especially short stories written by multiple authors.

This collection is mild horror, with the central theme being that every story takes place on Halloween. (The introduction to the book, giving background on how Halloween came to be the holiday celebrated in the US, was pretty interesting in its own right.) From that starting point, the authors were allowed to run with whatever they wanted. This is a pretty illustrious list of writers, too, some of
Sheila
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars: I really liked it. This is a bit of a mixed bag for me (like most anthologies), but my rating is based largely on my love for John Langan's story, "Lost in the Dark." I'm so grateful it was included and I got to read it.

-With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfbane Seeds by Seanan McGuire: 3 stars. I love the house concept but was a bit confused about (view spoiler).
-Dirtmouth by Stephen Graham Jones: 3 stars. Creepy but I was again con
An Redman
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's an exemplary collection of ideas in these stories. Each story has a lot of promise and lures you in to read it. However, most of the stories became dry. There was so much historical detail, nuance, repetition, that most stories lost their punch. As a meditation on Halloween, it's perfect. As a collection of scary stories, meh, doesn't make the grade.

Before reading, please ask yourself if you crave shivers, or if you want to be educated. (There is nothing wrong with educational stories, I
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5

Haunted Nights is a pretty good collection of Halloween-themed stories. The thing which distinguishes it from other collections is the type of Halloween the character celebrate or endure, as the case may be. Some of them are hiding a surprise or two and with only one exception, I enjoyed these stories - some more than others, of course.
Just a couple of notes on the stories themselves:

With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfbane Seeds by Seanan McGuire is a haunted house story. I wasn't surprised to like
Jon Recluse
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies, horror
As a fan of short horror stories since I first learned to read, and a born Halloween disciple, any anthology that offers me both is a must-read.
HAUNTED NIGHTS is not only a must-read, it's a must-own. Gathering unpublished works by authors both familiar and new (to me), offering diverse voices and points of origin for the darkest of holidays....without a single "rock" in the treat bag.

Personal favorites include:

The Turn by Paul Kane,
Lost in the Dark by John Langan,
The First Lunar Halloween by J
WendyB
Just didn't work for me.
Could be I just tried to read too many short stories during October but these didn't give me a really good Halloween vibe.
Robert Vanneste
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 - 4.0 an easy read . My favorite of this anthology is Lost In The Dark . Lots of atmosphere.
Mommacat
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Halloween is my favorite holiday and I'm always on the lookout for great reading material on the subject. When I saw Lisa Morton and Ellen Datlow pop up as editors on a new Halloween anthology, you bet I checked on it. All I needed to see was the addition of John Little and I requested the book!

17 authors give it it their all, including Jonathan Maberry, Kate Jonez, and Eric Guignard. I'm only going to talk about a couple of my favorite stories by new authors I have never read.

JACK - by Pat Cadi
Fiona
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars: This collection has a great line up - a lot of my reliably favourite authors have a story in here. But surprisingly, it was none of them who really blew me away. Instead the first half of the book (where most of those heavy-hitters were stacked) left me a little flat - it's not that it was bad, but it wasn't yet anything to really get excited about. But the last half made up for it enough to round the 3.5 up to a 4.

All in all a nicely seasonal read!
Michael Hicks
My original HAUNTED NIGHTS: A HORROR WRITERS ASSOCIATION ANTHOLOGY audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Co-edited by Ellen Datlow and Lisa Morton, Haunted Nights: A Horror Writers Association Anthology presents 16 original Halloween-themed short stories from authors Seanan McGuire, Jonathan Maberry, Stephen Graham Jones, Kelley Armstrong, Paul Kane, and plenty more. Each story is read by a different narrator, giving this anthology a wide range of flavors and vocal
Crowinator
I finally finished! Thoughts on the stories to come. Favorite story = “Lost in the Dark” by John Langan

Read
“With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfbane Seeds” by Seanan McGuire
“Dirtmouth” by Stephen Graham Jones”
“A Small Taste of the Old Countr” by Jonathan Maberry
“Nos Galen Gaeaf” by Kelley Armstrong
“We’re Never Inviting Amber Again” by S. P. Miskowski
Irene
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This anthology by the horror writers association was a mixed trick or treat bag of goodies for all fans of short horror fiction and of course Halloween. A couple of the stories leaned more towards sci-fi and although that's just not my thing I still enjoyed this book.

The stories that really stood out for me were With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfbane Seeds by Seanan McGuire about an old abandoned house that never seems to fall into disrepair and some teen vandals who intend to break in.

Dirtmouth by
Alan
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
A collection of short stories with the common theme of Halloween. The first several stories are mostly good, but around the midway point I found most of the second half to be unreadable. I started and didn't bother finishing several at that point. However, the biggest standout was John Langan's "Lost in the Dark" which alone makes it worth finding this book.
Eddie Generous
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Mostly good, a few head-scratches (like, I paid to read that?), and a few great stories.
Favorites:
Dirtmouth by Stephen Graham Jones
A Flicker of Light on Devil's Night by Kate Jonez
We're Never Inviting Amber Again by S.P. Miskowski
Minor beef: the formatting didn't match all the way through, the one thing that lodged in my head was the ellipses. Some were three dots, some were space three dots space, and one had the redundant fourth dot to represent the period (like we're in the dark ages!).
Christine
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley

Who doesn’t love Halloween? Okay, it’s true that in some areas of the country, you will have near adults dressed in nothing more than a cheap mask ringing the doorbell and then being upset that they haven’t received a whole Snickers bar, but, hey, it’s Halloween, and look at those Princess Leias. Brings a bit of hope about the future generation.

But as most people can tell you, as the Princess Leias illustrate, there is also an attempt to make Halloween less scary.
Melora
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A fun collection by a group of authors who were mostly unfamiliar to me (Garth Nix & Jeffrey Ford I've read before, but the others I didn't recognize). The “Halloween” theme offered plenty of room for variety and, aside from a couple takes on the “Stingy Jack” story, there is little repetition. As with most collections, I didn't care for all the stories, but on the whole I was well satisfied. A quick survey...

With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfbane Seeds, by Seanan McGuire – a nice “normal” ghost
Troy
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review of Haunted Nights, edited by Lisa Morton and Ellen Datlow

4/5

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of Haunted Nights via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The mere mention of October or Halloween usually conjures reveries of crisp Autumn air redolent with hints of the season; mist shrouded cemeteries lit by a bright full moon; and the laughter of young ghosts, goblins and witches prowling streets in search of sweet treats. Clearly, Halloween is the perfect backdrop for a creepy story
Jeanette
Oct 15, 2017 added it
Shelves: abandoned
No rating. This was like a sophomore year in high school class had a short story assignment. Actually I have recently read a few of these from college students in a local rag that were better. Stephen King or Shirley Jackson? You won't find that here. Lots of nasty perps emitting colloquial and foul language does not a horror or haunting make. Absolutely not for me.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
This is a great horror anthology read by a variety of narrators that I mostly enjoyed. I find the quality of most anthologies to be a bit inconsistent, but this one had only one or two stories that I found disappointing. Recommended, especially on audio.
To be honest, I'm not very impressed with this collection. I was hoping for more with this assortment of authors, especially with the Horror Writer's Association tag on top, but I really found this to be lackluster. Another thing that really bothered me was that although the book claims to have stories of Halloween themes, most of them really don't. Yeah, they have vague nods to Halloween or happen on Halloween night, but that's it. Almost none of them gave me a Halloween vibe they just felt lik ...more
Alison
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC via Netgalley.

Rating: 4 stars

The word "Halloween" on the cover of an anthology is bound to grab my attention. The words "Ellen" and "Datlow" together have a similar effect, and Lisa Morton and Halloween go together like...well, like orange and black.

The problem is, I can be very picky about what counts as "Halloween" enough for me. I will say that many of the stories in this book did not conjure that spooky autumn feeling, that nagging fear that as October 31 appro
Jaclyn Hogan
I received a digital ARC of this book from Edelweiss+.

Another short story collection edited by Ellen Datlow. Unfortunately, this one was very uneven for me.
All of the stories are related to Halloween, or related holidays such as Dia Day Los Muertos.
Let's do this one at a time:

"With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfbane Seeds" by Seanan McGuire
McGuire is a great writer, wonderfully inventive and with a deft hand for creepiness. This story of teens endangered when they go trash an old abandoned mansion fel
Samantha
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. Incredible as it seems for an anthology, there isn't a single bad apple in the bunch here.

Though they're all good, the standouts come from Parypinski, Evenson, Kane, Langan and Little.

Go read this right now to get yourself good and ready for All Hallows' Eve.
Jessica
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
3.5 stars? Enjoyed most of the stories, but not all - that's the way anthologies go :) Did find some new things to read as a result though!

“With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfbane Seeds” by Seanan McGuire - Great elements but wish it had come together a little tighter. Teenage horror fun/doom.

“Dirtmouth” by Stephen Graham Jones” - Enjoyed the set-up, uncertain about the conclusion.

“A Small Taste of the Old Country” by Jonathan Maberry - AMAZING. Slow, deliberate, satisfying.

“Wick’s End” by Joanna Pary
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The older I get the more I find myself enjoying short stories. Or maybe these horror shorts were just that good? I'm thinking both.

Haunted Nights is a collection of 16 short horror tales, that is mainly focused on Halloween and perfect for October nights.
Each story was different and the majority were great in their own way. Even the few I didn't love were still good. Recommended Halloween reading.
Scott
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
A mostly pretty good collection of Halloween stories. They were certainly more diverse than the ones in a similarly-themed collection I read a few years ago; they never felt repetitive or monotonous. No stories of trick-or-treaters going to that one dark house on the street where they say a witch lives. My favorite story was by Brian Evenson--a funny (but not silly) story about a family studying humans and their seasonal traditions.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Seize the Night: New Tales of Vampiric Terror
  • Halloween Carnival Volume 1
  • We Should Have Left Well Enough Alone
  • Creatures: Thirty Years of Monsters
  • Bad Apples: Five Slices of Halloween Horror
  • Ghosts by Gaslight
  • The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Volume Two
  • A Season with the Witch: The Magic and Mayhem of Halloween in Salem, Massachusetts
  • Dead Leaves: 9 Tales from the Witching Season
  • After the People Lights Have Gone Off
  • Johnny Halloween: Tales of the Dark Season
  • Nights of the Living Dead: An Anthology
  • Corpse Cold: New American Folklore
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter