Start by marking “Mercury's Bane (Earth Dawning, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mercury's Bane (Earth Dawning, #1)

Mercury's Bane

(Earth Dawning #1)

They're all gone. We remember them like yesterday: pieces of our stolen heritage. Things like NASA. Football. Parades and pies. Good things, comfortable things. We remember a time when we were alone in the universe, safe and oblivious.

But it's all gone now.

We called them the Telestines, and in the face of their ruthless invasion we were powerless. By 2040, all the world'
Published March 7th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Mercury's Bane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercury's Bane

Theo
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
While the overall story and universe are interesting and fun, one of the primary characters, Pike, seems awfully dense considering his mission, the events which happen related to that mission, and how long it takes to accept facts he should have already known, instead of having them told to him. Also, the story needs editing in terms of basic sentences missing words, using incorrect pronouns, and being incomplete. Seems like there was one of those in every chapter.

Positives - cool bad guys, nice
Darlene
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Mercury's Bane

This book was slow going for most the way through. It didn't pick up til almost three-quarters the way through and I almost gave up on it. Which surprised me because I admire Nick Webb's writing. The way it ended, though, gives me hope that the second book will be much better. And, yes, I will give it a chance. Hopefully, now that we know what may happen, things will pick up.
Todd Gutschow
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
I really wanted to like this book... and subsequently the rest of the series. However, I’ve found that I’m not really into this. The premise is good, but I haven’t enjoyed the execution. Without using spoilers...I find the back story is vague, characters pop in and out without too much meaning, and the storyline is constantly interrupted by meaningless interactions. Characters and events are not quite believable. After 50% through I’m giving up on this one.
Graeme Tindale
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a new series by this author. It has an interesting scenario with an alien race taking over the earth and relegating mankind to the planets and asteroids. The story revolves around humans efforts to rebuild and take back our planet. It has an interesting storyline that flows easily and has several sub-plots. The characters are well developed and I found myself wondering how things will evolve. I am interested in seeing the next book in the series.
David P. Duffy
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Quick, Simple, Entertaining SciFi Read

"Mercury's Bane," is the first book of a new series, authored by Mr. Nick Webb. It is a quick, simple, entertaining SciFi read. There are no great highs, nor any great lows-it's a basic, no frills, humans against the conquering aliens themed story.

In the near future, Earth has been conquered by a highly advanced, refugee, humanoid alien race. The victors are potentially genocidal, having either enslaved and genetically altered some of surviving humanity, or
Ernie
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Not my favorite of Nick Webb's. I really have enjoyed some of his other books but this doesn't seem to have the same excitement as the others.

Thankfully the second half got a lot better but not sure I would have made it if I wasn't someone to pretty much finish any book I start (unless its a 1 star).

Would love to have learned more about the aliens ect. The book ended well enough where I don't feel the need to continue the series unless I am more desperate for something to read. I would skip th
Jed
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mediocre writing but good plot

I enjoyed the book enough that it was hard to put down. It definitely glossed over a lot of things such as point defense systems. None of the highly advanced alien ships have them so that humans are able to easily board highly advanced ships with crappy shuttles.

Outside of a variety of believability issues The writing itself uses many unnecessary words, frequent passive voice, small things that take away from the story.

It’s still an enjoyable read, there’s just some
Mark
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Belated looked up Nick Webb in my reading history and saw that I thought the other two books of his I read were not to my liking.

Though this one started out with promise, it soon became clear that it was going to play out in strange, unfathomable ways, and chringingly unrealistic ways.

No more of that!
Eric Murray
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
He's done better

Parts of the book I had a hard time following.

The author has done a better job writing than this.

A little disappointed.
Kenneth Legnon
Nov 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Did not finish the book. Could not get intrested in it.
Jason
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nick Webb has provided us with some of the best Military Sci-Fi series out there in the form of The Legacy Fleet Trilogy, The Pax Humana Saga, and most recently, his sequel to Legacy Fleet, ‘Independence’, the start of The Legacy Ship Trilogy.
Mercury’s Bane though, surpasses even his own previous work for outstanding storylines, exceptional characters and a slightly different writing style that is grittier than his past works, making this book not only edge of your seat brilliant, but also gives
Patrick Barnes
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Light fun

The premise was interesting and the reactions of the human characters covered the entire emotional range from collaboration to bloody minded resistance. It was a fun fast read with a goodly number of space battles.

The human characters are stock characters that you expect and the aliens aren't more than props. The battle scenes are a little confusing but not so much that you can't just sit back and enjoy the ride. A little better editing would be nice.

The human fleet suffers big losses a
Kyle
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This story by Nick Webb was one of desperation and hope. The human species is at the end of its limits; displaced from the earth by an alien race that is superior in technology. The whole story revolves around taking back our home planet and our solar system. I will start by saying I enjoyed the book. Other reviews talk about unnecessary or unbelievable characters. Seeing humanity has never been displaced by aliens, I do not see where they can draw their "experience" for what would be unbelievab

Tracy
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A Very Solid Start!

Following the finish of another series, I wanted to change things up a little; and Alan Webb's Earth Dawning series attracted me with what looked like an interesting plot in a bit tighter setting. It became a clearer choice as I continued to look at the various suggestions; and so I downloaded Mercury's Bane, first in the series. That choice has borne out admirably.

No element of this book disappointed me - which was a pleasant discovery, as I tend to be more critical with the
Jason
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Mike Keller
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By 2040 the Earth had been defeated by the Telestines

The Telestines claimed Earth as their prize, humanity was exiled to the planets and moons of the Solar system, made them refugees in their own backyard. The Rebellion had the Exile Fleet, a handful of ships and cruisers, not in the same league as the Telestine ship's. Their technology far surpassed humanity's. Rumor surfaced about something that could help defeat that technology, something called "the Dawning".

William Pike was born on Earth an
David O'Brien
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Not so sure about this one. Found it a bit predictable and uneven with odd turns and impossible outcomes. Some good characters - but the main man, Pike, was just annoyingly dense. Overall I was a bit bored and threatened to abandon it several times. I didn't, but won't be picking up the next in series.
The Kindle edition is speckled with errors: typos, misspellings and misplaced words - it shows a great disrespect to the reader when editing is poor. Disappointed.
Tiffany and John
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent Story

I really liked the over all story and the fact that when you think you have the whole picture, WHAM!, It goes in a completely different direction. I would have given it 5 stars but the main characters seemed flat. Just your basic types. The hero, the leader, the spy and the innocent with a secret. Anyone that loves space operas should read this book.
James Bowman
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A good read.

A defeated and displaced humanity struggles to pull itself up by its bootstraps. Webb creates several interesting characters whose development across this trilogy stirs curiosity as much or more than do possible plot twists.
Richard DeLancey
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shows promise

I am a huge Nick Webb fan. This book dragged for me a bit. But I'm glad I persevered to the end. I think the ending sets up a great premise for future books. I am curious to see where this adventure goes!
Travis
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting enough. Not as exciting as some books in this genre I've read, but good enough to hold the attention. I'll probably read the others in the series too, but more for completeness more than anything else.
Heavy
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Do you like vanilla? You better LOVE vanilla because this book more vanilla then vanilla itself.

The characters are vanilla, the plot are vanilla, the ending is vanilla.

It's good written vanilla but I crave more the vanilla from my books.
Dawn Leibovitz
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it

Good lead in to the sequel. Character building might benefit from some more detail, but overall a good read.
Nick
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent start to a series

A rebellion starts and fights back against an alien race that had conquered them. Space battles and interesting characters what more can you ask for.
Brian
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book! another one of those that draws you in and paints the story into your brain!
Brenda
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book

This is a good book . lots OK action . I look forward to the next book. It will keep u wanting to read more
robert kennedy
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Uhtg. Ii nice n

Ygjonjcg.
.kooo.iuhbb. Jjluui gg me.ko. Yyjfeeesuoppu to kki kjj fwzx yggt uygf jjio ioib..jii fdeeh. Uim
Jhuu. U I iii .
Mathias Juhl
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Story is good. I'm missing information about the technical background and not everthing seems locigal (e.g. they always travel with acceleration by thrust but in the end three ships "jump")
NormaCenva
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Actual Rating 3,5 Stars
coolguy2k
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-fiction
Slowed down a lot in last third.
  • Hold The Line (Ganog Wars #2)
  • Dark Space Universe (Dark Space Universe, #1)
  • Masters Of Space
  • The Unfortunate and Odd Life of Bennett Monroe (The Wayfarers Chronicles)
  • Don't Touch the Blue Stuff! (Where the Hell is Tesla? #2)
  • Cutpurse (Privateer Tales #6)
  • The Last War
  • Conflict (Rise of Mankind #4)
  • The Dawn of Skye (The Someday Children #1)
  • Dauntless (Blood on the Stars #6)
  • Charon: A Dragon at the Gate (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #3)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2014
  • The Khmer Kill
  • The United States of Atlantis  (Atlantis, #2)
  • A.I. Assault (The A.I. Series, #3)
  • Universe in Danger (The Originator Wars, #1)
  • What Mad Universe
Nick became a scientist so that he could build starships. Unfortunately, his ship is taking longer to build than he'd hoped, so fictional starships will have to do for now. When he's not adding to his starship collection, you can find him tweeting and facebooking about Nasa, science, space, SciFi, and quoting Star Trek II.

He lives in Alabama with his wife, 2 kids, and 3 motorcycles.

Note: This auth

Earth Dawning (3 books)
  • Jupiter's Sword (Earth Dawning, #2)
  • Neptune's War (Earth Dawning, #3)
“No.” Her eyes were like chips of stone. “He died because the Telestines have enslaved us. He died for humanity.” He” 0 likes