Start by marking “The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)

The Color of Magic

(Discworld #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  270,555 ratings  ·  8,094 reviews
Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent, bestselling novels have garnered him a revered position in the halls of parody next to the likes of Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

Published September 13th 2005 by Harper (first published November 24th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Magic, please sign up.
Francesca Caleffi No it isn't!I don't think a kid would be able to understand all the wit and the scarcastic comments between the lines
Ekaterina Spitsyna I think you should look up recommended order to read the books, to know approximately where you are standing. (like this one: …moreI think you should look up recommended order to read the books, to know approximately where you are standing. (like this one: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-o...)
And basically, you can read them in any order, as the author keeps reminding you of important, and not so important, details, and as the books are just brilliant enough by themselves.
Of course, it would be a bit harder to keep up with the timeline, and you won't be very surprised with the ending if you have already read the next book, but it won't ruin the impression or fun.(less)

·  270,555 ratings  ·  8,094 reviews

Mark Lawrence
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't reviewed this because I read it so long ago that all I can remember is I loved it.

I'll take our very old and battered copy (bought in 1987) to the hospice this weekend when I go with Celyn and see if I can't refresh my memory.

RIP, Sir Terry.

'DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING,' said Death, 'JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.'

So - to the review!

I've just read this in slightly over 24 hours ... which is extraordinary for me. I normally take a month to read a book.

It is, to be
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Reading The Color of Magic is akin to eating an entire bowl of ice cream just a little too fast...sure, it may cause your head to hurt at times, but the sweet rewards make it all worth it!

Filled with ambitious wizards and ruthless assassins, the city of Ankh-Morpork has survived many dangers in the past, but now it faces an even more destructive force...TOURISM!!! When a rich but bored outsider named Twoflower decides to explore the city in search for adventure, it soon becomes an adventure for
Brad
Before picking it up, I'd heard that The Colour of Magic was funny. Now that can mean just about anything because, let's face it, comedy is the most subjective of arts.

Funny is a deeply personal thing. The "funny peculiar" and the "funny ha-ha" might not be the same from person to person or even to the same person depending on their mood or their place in life. So knowing something is funny ahead of reading it really doesn't tell me much.

I'd read Terry Pratchett's & Neil Gaiman's Good Omen
Lyn
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so it begins …

Sir Terry Pratchett’s wildly imaginative Discworld series begins with the 1983 publication of The Color of Magic.

I have been reading science fiction and fantasy for a long time and somehow I managed to not read any of his works until I came in late to the party. A friend suggested I try one, I’d like it and so I read the fourth in the series, Mort and I thought so much that I decided I would climb the hill and enjoy every step.

Begin with a heaping portion of British humor (hum
Lindsey Rey
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
I will officially be reading the entire Discworld series!
Markus
May 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, fantasy
This must be the exception that proves the rule. For years I’ve been adamantly advocating reading series in publication order, whether a coherent story or a set of standalones. In Discworld, that simply doesn’t seem to be the best solution. Everyone seems to suggest that a new reader should not start with the first book, so this must be partially my fault for doing it anyway.

The Colour of Magic is at best a mediocre introduction to what is supposedly the best humourous fantasy series ever writte
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Color of Magic (Discworld #1), Terry Pratchett
The Color of Magic is Terry Pratchett's maiden voyage through the now-legendary land of Discworld. This is where it all begins -- with the tourist Twoflower and his wizard guide, Rincewind.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه می سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: مجموعه جهان صفحه کتاب 01 - رنگ جادو؛ تری پرتچت (پراچت)؛ مترجم: آرزو احمی؛ تهران، ویدا، چاپ اول و دوم 1391؛ در 287 ص؛ چاپ سوم 1392؛ شابک: 9789646807853؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی - سده 20 م
دیسک ورلد، مجمو
Jamie
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty sure people have told me about Pratchett and his Diskworld series before, usually working in the phrase "He's the Douglas Adams of fantasy" into the description. But the problem was that I always felt that I had had enough of Adams after the third Hithiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, and whenever I scanned Pratchett's section in the bookstore I was immediately put off by not knowing where to start reading among the approximately five hundred thousand Diskworld books. I'm glad I finall ...more
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
If I hadn't already read the entire series, and if I was judging this book just by its own merits, I'd still be saying that it harnesses the lightning and even finds a way to make it go side to side rather than up and down.

It's really fantastic as a straight fantasy with tons of humorous elements, with a good deal more worldbuilding than all the later books, more obvious and harsher tongue-in-cheek elements, and a great setup for the Great Wizzard Rincewind.

Honestly? I love Rincewind. I love the
J.G. Keely
Oct 28, 2007 rated it did not like it
This series is much beloved of my friends, both here on Goodreads and out in the wilds of meatspace--he's even been referred to as Fantasy's answer to one of my favorite authors: the superlatively funny and insightful Douglas Adams. As such, I was excited to start the series at the beginning, hoping the wit and wisdom would overcome the warts of this early outing. Unfortunately,the jokes drew more groans than guffaws, reminding me of Mark Twain's comments on the book of friend and fellow America ...more
Adrian
Oh what fun, review to follow 😊😉

So here is my review. I first read this I'm guessing some time around 1990, and then went on to read the sequels as they were released,until sometime around the millennium, when for various reasons I moved house and lost around 5000 books 😱
Anyway I haven't read another Terry Pratchett Discworld novel since then. So when I was bought the first twenty in the series earlier this year I did a little mini dance (similar to the Floss ha ha) and looked forward to when I
Helen 2.0
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Helen 2.0 by: siobhan Quinlan
Terry Pratchett is a genius, as usual. This man can do no wrong. He reminds me a lot of Douglas Adams, my favorite in the realm of satire. Look at this similarity:
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
"Disc philosophers agree that the First Men, shortly after their creation, understandably lost their temper." - Terry Pratchett, The Color of Magic

The Co
PattyMacDotComma
“That’s what’s so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know. You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you’re so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can’t remember what comes next.”

Poor Rincewind. Incidentally, his name rhymes with “since grinned”, and I’ve read that in a later book, it says an ancestor was a Rinser of Winds. Whatever his background, he’s missing some skills. He’s a wizard
Fran
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
The Color of Magic is, in fact, four novella-length stories stitched together to create a novel-length book. But don't you worry, the book reads well as a whole without a jerking bump to stop the journey. I wouldn't have even noticed the stitching if I haven't known it was there.

As the story starts, Rincewind a disgraced wizard meets up with Twoflower an oblivious tourist and his rather menacing walking luggage (yes, with a luggage like Twoflower's you don't have to worry about carry your things
Anne
It had some funny moments, but I really struggled to get through it. In all fairness to the people who suggested I read the Discworld series, this is not one of the ones they said I should start with. I think I mostly had a hard time slogging through all of the world-building and made up words. Fantasy has never been my thing, because I'm not someone who enjoys reading descriptions of the characters surroundings. I'm not giving up on the series, though. I think I'll just go back through my book ...more
Maria Clara
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tengo que decir que me ha sorprendido agradablemente; pues no esperaba que fuera a gustarme ni que disfrutara tanto con las locas aventuras de Rincewind.
Kai
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
“It is at this point that normal language gives up, and goes and has a drink.”

I never really planned to read this until I met someone who loves the Discworld novels so much that I could no longer put them off. Also, this series has so many books that I will probably never be able to finish it, which kept me from reading it in the first place. Apart from the fact that they always seemed a bit too ridiculous to actually be good.
Now, I did catch myself laughing a few times and generally enjoying it
TL
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it

A charming and sometimes tedious novel, Rincewind grew on me quickly and I enjoyed watching him get into and out of scrapes along the way. Death's and Fate's frustration with him was hilarious. I kept imagining them as toddlers stomping their feet :-D.

Two Flower I was so so on... sometimes he charmed me and others... eh. His optimism seemed misplaced sometimes, but he had good intentions.

A nice start to the series, plenty of action and some humor :) The scenes with Krull and near the edge of the
Amanda
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh, blog
Meh. It just didn't do it for me. Unfortunately, this book has been recommended to me so many times by well-meaning friends who know my love of absurd British humor that it couldn't possibly live up to the hype. It suffers from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy syndrome. For years, everyone I knew--friends, family, students, co-workers--would ask me if I had read Hitchhiker's and their mouths would drop when I admitted no, I hadn't . . . yet. Their response was always the same, "Oh, but you h ...more
Frogy (Ivana)
Zasto sam ovoliko dugo cekala da zakoracim u Disksvet?! I ako bi neko od starosedelaca mogao da mi kaze kako da nabavim Prtljag od kruskovog drveta mudrosti, cini mi se da je pametno imati jedan ;)
Anuradha
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like satire. a lot.
Precisely why all the above (below, in this review, I guess) should be so is not clear, but goes some way to explain why, on the disc, the Gods are not so much worshipped as blamed.

Have you ever wondered about what would happen if you were merely a pawn in a game played by gods? Have you ever wondered about how living in a Flat-Earth would be? Would you like to learn about what failed wizards do in their free time? Are you curious about how dragons are born and how they rest? Do you want to un
Trish
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The very first Discworld novel. The one it all began with.

I've been a fan of Sir Terry's for a long time. I've even read a few other of his books (some standalone, some of the Fairy Tales or later volumes of this series) and loved them all.
Fans have given me two pieces of advice ever since I first heard of Discworld:
1) Stay away from the first 3 books!
2) Read them all! What are you, a savage?!

*lol* You can see how this made me undecided for the longest time.
Thus, I did what every self-respected
Phrynne
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book many years ago and I remember I fell in love with the Disc World as soon as I read the first few pages. I loved the idea of the turtle swimming through space and the elephants and the rim fall and the eighth colour in the spectrum called octarine. Twoflower and Rincewind were the first of many of Pratchett's characters I would meet who are so helpless and yet who blunder successfully through mishap after mishap. And as for the Luggage! That has to be one of the best invent ...more
Becky
I dunno if this is going to be a proper 'review' (heh, as though any of the things that I write in this space are...), it'll likely just be a bunch of randomness and ranting. So, like my usual offerings.

I read Amanda's review (This'un.) and I'm all like "Yep." This is one of those books/series that people love and it makes me want to love it and then I set crazy goals for myself, like reading them... all... in a year... just maybe not this one... and then when the first one ends up NOT being the
Antonio

suspira....

Mientras mas alto pongo mis expectativas, mis caídas son peores, y al parecer con esta caeré, caeré y seguiré cayendo.

Amo la magia, los dragones, y reconozco la creatividad y humor de Pratchett; entonces ¿Qué paso? una lógica tan profunda como Alicia en el pais de las maravillas, unos saltos de trama que me desenfocaban, y el final....

(view spoiler)

ese final... pens
Lindsay
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back to where it all began. I think this is my third time reading this, but that does show how long ago my introduction to this series was. I have a huge affection for this entire series and the author as a human being, but I'm actually quite glad that I wasn't a more sophisticated reader when I was first exposed to this. If this had been my first exposure to his work today, I'm not sure I would have continued with them.

In summary, the Discworld experiences its first tourist, Twoflower, from the
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking for a bag full of laughs with a cynical view, and tons of fun, fun, fun adventure
Recommended to Evelyn (devours and digests words) by: Fabian, Ryan
Magic never dies. It merely fades away.

I first visited the world of Discworld at the age of twelve when I was still wolfing down picture books and fingering through easy-peasy written books. Then one day, I saw a friend prancing around with this book to classes. I have a sharp eye on colourful book covers and this one's won me over. I demanded asked to borrow this and right on the spot, he let me.

Back home I immediately flipped to page one. Upon the first few paragraphs however, my brain went d
Forrest
I read this book way back in high school, when I lived in England. Having forgotten everything except for the fact that there was a trunk that liked to eat people, I bought the book (again) to see how it stood up these many years later. As I've read I've received goodreads messages and been spoken to by several people who have warned me that Pratchett was just warming up with this one, that he hadn't reached his highest form yet. I still have to read more of his work (I'm planning on Mort and Gu ...more
Scott
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, fantasy
Are you looking for a book about a frustrated, incompetent wizard-loser guiding a tourist around a world comprised of a flat disc sitting on a turtle’s back, a gigantic turtle that flies though space?
Well, look no further - The Color of Magic is your ticket!

Of all the Discworld books, of all the craziness, the thousands of jokes, the laser-guided satire of fantasy novels so good that it became almost its own genre, for me the Color of Magic is the one book to rule them all.

Maybe it’s because thi
Speculative Fiction 1 6 Mar 02, 2019 06:36PM
/r/Fantasy Discus...: September 2018: The Colour of Magic 3 51 Sep 27, 2018 10:35AM
Club de lectura p...: El color de la Magia - LA 4º bimestre 2018 (JUL/SEP) 8 50 Aug 30, 2018 11:24AM
50 books to read ...: The Color of Magic 20 35 Aug 04, 2018 06:38AM
Around the Year i...: The Color of Magic, by Terry Pratchett 23 97 Apr 21, 2018 10:56AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Suburban Book Of The Dead: Armageddon III: The Remake
  • Swords Against Death (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #2)
  • Nothing But Blue Skies
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay and the Story
  • A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3: Part 2 of 2)
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Too Many Curses
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3)
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)
“If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards!” 1131 likes
“No, what he didn't like about heroes was that they were usually suicidally gloomy when sober and homicidally insane when drunk.” 351 likes