Start by marking “Andora's Folly” as Want to Read:
Andora's Folly

Andora's Folly

A Pandora's Box retelling

Andora is a beautiful young woman with insatiable curiosity. Raised in splendor, she is spoiled by her privileged life. When a love letter is slid under her door, her life takes a drastically unromantic turn. Nothing makes sense—her arranged marriage, the gifts her parents bestow on her wedding day, or her new husband’s temperament.

As Andora begins
Kindle Edition, First, 99 pages
Published July 29th 2017 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Andora's Folly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Andora's Folly

Start your review of Andora's Folly
Faith
What a unique twist on the usual fairytale retelling -- a Greek myth retelling!!

I'll be perfectly honest here and go ahead and admit that I did not know what to expect of a novella claiming to be a retelling of Pandora's Box. I read that particular myth in 9th grade and found it to be amusing and entertaining, if not outright strange.

But this book, y'all. Like, ohmygoodness. *hugs book* I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to finish reading it, so that right there should tell you som
Victoria Lynn
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so good! I look forward to reading it again! More in-depth review coming once it is published.
Hailey Rose
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I heard my dear friend and critique partner was releasing a second book so close to her debut--I gave her a pat on the back and wished her luck.

No, kidding. I'm not that mean. ;) I BEGGED to be allowed to read the book, which Abi was all too kind to oblige.

Andora's Folly is a beautiful twist of a classic fairy tale/myth. My favorite part about Abi's adaption was the Christian elements. She is a master at weaving Biblical teachings and strong morals without being preachy. Though the feel o
Sarah Grace Grzy
WOW! This was a wild ride! Lots of unexpected twists and turns! Honestly, I was left spluttering in the dust after a few of those twists!

The story itself was very fascinating. I have never read Pandora's Box, but this was still fantastic and completely able to be read without having read Pandora's Box. The characters - particularly Theus - were so intriguing. I found it hard to connect with their personalities and actions at first, but as the story went on, you understand more and more of they
Libby May
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm going through major TBR declutter, and I've been wanting to read this book for a long long time (since I first read Martin's Hospitality). Thank you Abi for the book birthday sale that allowed me to read this book!

I really did enjoy it. It was so deep. At first, I really didn't understand Andora. She did seem selfish and absorbed, but I didn't know if that was shallow or deeply rooted. How she jumped into the housework as much as she hated it really made me start to admire her.
Her parents we
Lilian
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, reviews
This was such a well-written book! I have to say, at first I was really apprehensive on whether I’d like it or not since I really, really disliked the old classic + mythical story Pandora’s Box. You know, the one where a girl’s curiosity gets the better of her and she opens a box, releasing… evil stuff? I just. was. not. a. fan. of that story.

However, Andora’s Folly was such a good book! I really enjoyed it. Abigayle’s gift with words blew me away- when reading the book, I found the plot, worldb
Ashley Bogner
This was such an intriguing read!

Andora's Folly is a historical/fantasy retelling of the myth of "Pandora's Box". I loved though how the author didn't retell the myth by just switching out the names and setting, but built an original-feeling story around the idea of "Pandora's Box".

My favorite part of this story was the writing--the author's ability to create atmosphere via word choice was amazing! The writing had a richness to it that I appreciated. I would pick up another story by this a
anika
I got to read an advanced copy of this book, AND make the cover. Can't wait to share my review when it comes out! :)
Lisa Elis
I had the chance to beta read this book so just shouting out to Abi - thank you for the amazing opportunity! (Also I might be a bit biased because beta reading it was so. much. fun.) I am excited to review this because it was awesome .

- This was a Pandora's Box retelling, and I haven't really read Pandora's Box (thought I know what it's about, basically) so I'm not the expert in saying how it compares. However, from what I can see, I think Abi did a wonderful job with this retelling! In any cas
zane deann
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Review to come.

Update: July 16, 2017.

I was so honored to beta read for Abi (my first time ever beta reading! *squeals*) and love, love, loved her novella. Abi is an amazing writer and so fun to work with. Andora's Folly is a retelling of Pandora's Box, which I have not read, but I've heard enough about to get the general idea.

Andora was a bit of a spoiled snob at first, but I loved watching her (view spoiler) She r

Vivienne Ellison
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OH.MY.WORD! This was a 2 AMer and well worth it! This is probably the best medieval writing I have seen. It was an easy read but the writing was so in-depth which allowed the culture and time period to come alive. The characters were enthralling and sooo attractive, yet not without mortal flaws.This retelling of Pandora's Box will have you captivated from the very start, chilled to the bone in the middle, and touched and inspired by the end. Upon my sister (the author) writing this novella, she ...more
R.F. Gammon
I was privileged enough to beta-read this epic novella for Abi, and I'll start my review off by saying she did a phenomenal job getting it together! It's truly difficult to edit anything, even if it is just a novella, and this is Abi's second project to be published. So congrats to you, first, Abigayle :)

On to the review!
Synopsis:
Hann Remraf
~review to come~
Izzie d
This is a really unusual book for me.
The writing is very different but I enjoyed it.
Merie Shen
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m a sucker for any sort of retelling, and from a very young age I’ve always been quite fascinated with Greek mythology. I remember being in second or third grade when I read my first Pandora retellings– and dare I say, the last, because I wasnot enamored with that series. Even so, the premise of Andora’s Folly still fascinated me enough to give this book a go.
So… let me start off by saying… that gee whiz, Abigayle Claire is an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G writer. Seriously, I’m in awe of her beautiful prose
Totally Graced
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, Abi's new novella is even stronger than her debut novel. Andora's Folly tells the tale of a wealthy young woman who is forced into the strangest arranged marriage of all time. As she struggles to adjust to her new life, she also has to unravel the strange nuances and questions that this situation has to offer.

Going into this novella, I was already intrigued by the premise. I was familiar with the story of Pandora's Box, so I was curious to see where Abi would take it. The story st
Age Appropriate For: 13 and up for violence and romance
Best for Ages: 15 and up

Read on Kindle Unlimited.

I remember we had this big book that I would spend hours looking at and reading as a kid. It had all sorts of historical information and stories in it. I can still remember the illustrations and the story of Pandora’s box. Really, what fascinated me most as a kid is how closely, in essence, the story was to the story of Adam and Eve. I was excited to read this retelling.

Abigayle Claire brought
Karyssa
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word, that was amazing!!! :D Review to come once book is published.
Maggie
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. I loved the characters! I felt so sorry for Andora when she was forced into a marriage. But she did good to keep her and her husband (that she didn't really know), together.

I love Abigaye's writing style. I can't wait to read more of her books. Would definitely recommend this book.

Thanks so much for the great retelling of Pandora's box, Abigayle!
Mikayla
I went into Andora's Folly very intrigued. I'm really not into fairy tale re-tellings, so the fact that someone had retold a Greek myth sounded great.
When I hit about the 30-40% mark, I thought I wasn't going to like this book. I mean, there was a couple cliches; a selfish princess forced to do something against her will, thrown into a world shes not used to. Having to work instead of have people working for her.
But let me tell you, this author broke the cliches. Everything I thought would hap
Madison Guy
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: retellings-read
Do you like medieval castles, beautiful damsels, mysteries, humor, and strong male characters? If so, you’ll love this story. Andora's Folly is such a sweet, enjoyable story. Miss Claire creates a realistic setting with her language, dialogue, and descriptions.

Andora's Folly is a retelling of Pandora's Box, but you can only tell with the subtle hints given throughout the story - my favorite kind of retelling! The story starts with Andora, the young (somewhat spoiled) noble who longs to satisfy
Allyson
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this retelling of the Greek myth "Pandora's Box" was amazing, and I've never really been into Greek mythology! Abigayle Claire is truly gifted at storytelling, and a mastermind at getting all the special details to fall into place (according to the author's note). Her take on the myth was unique, and had me rooting for certain characters, and momentarily wanting to slap others *cough* Theus *cough*. The plot twists took me by surprise and the drama that arose from the "Pandora's Box" moment ...more
Hanne T
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The only exposure I’ve had with Pandora’s Box is in first or second grade, when I did the unit on Ancient Greeks and did Greek Mythology. (was that just me?) Not only haven’t I read the story in literally ten years, I remember HATING the story.

As a result, I didn’t know exactly what I was going to get from Andora’s Folly, which is a Pandora’s Box retelling. Basically, it is a Greek mythology retelling set in a fantasy world, which I thought was super unique!

The “retelling” feel wasn’t very obvio
Becca
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Melanie Dickerson
I've always loved retellings: fairytale retellings, Bible story retellings, and myth retellings. Something about old stories with new twists is incredibly refreshing and intriguing. This novella is a retelling of Pandora's Box.

Any fans of sweet medieval romance will love this book. Abigayle's writing style especially reminds me of Melanie Dickerson's. While that's definitely a negative for me, I realize that many people love her books. So if you're a fan of Melanie Dickerson's fairytale romance
Angie Thompson
Whoa... I'll admit I only know the barest outline of Pandora's Box (the part that pretty much everyone knows), so I had no idea how this story was going to play out. This story has quite the creative twists going on!

I really liked Andora's character, even if she was a bit spoiled and vain at times. Her kindness to the "common people" could come off a bit condescending, but I felt like she really was trying to give happiness in the best way she knew how. And she actually managed to make me laugh
Emily Mundell
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of beta-reading this fine novella and I'm super excited that now the WHOLE WORLD gets to read it!

Things I loved:

The Premise: A medieval Pandora's Box retelling, how cool is that? Apparently there have not been any attempts at a Pandora's Box retelling, so that alone is super cool. Also, Abi is awesome and just pulled it off really really well.

The Main Character: Andora was originally spoiled, vain, and selfish but her CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT WAS SPOT ON. I mean, wow, what a c
S.G. Willoughby
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the writing style and characters of this book! Each were strong characters, and most were well rounded. I also had not read a Greek mythology retelling quite like this before, and it was beautifully done! The author had clearly done her research and wove in many things masterfully. (Don't worry, though, isn't too hard to follow if you aren't familiar with Greek mythology ;) ). I may have had a slightly too feverish brain, though, to fully appreciate it. (I had a cold when I read i ...more
Bridget Marshall
An older brother, a man in the woods, a letter. After a storybook style prologue that leaves a foundation for mystery and intrigue, these are a few of the dots that I quickly began to connect in my mind. However, an early twist of events sent the story spinning off in a different direction then I was first anticipating. (Though now that I go back and read the synopsis that should have been obvious, but never mind that.)

Now you will allow me to skip ahead and talk about a few of the characters. A
Janine
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the start, Andora’s Folly had my attention and I found it hard to pull away from this novella, which mixes the Pandora’s Box tale from Greek Mythology with Abigayle Claire’s Christian faith to create an original story and setting with a tale about love, jealousy, revenge and hope.

Andora starts out as a spoiled eighteen year old girl living in the upper class of her pre-industrial society and is aching to be married off. However, when she finds out she’s being arranged to be married to a pea
Liz F.
I'm not actually sure I've ever read the real story, Pandora's Box, but WOW. Andora's Folly was really, really good!! Definitely recommend! 5 stars!

• A Song Unheard (Shadows Over England, #2)
  • The Dressmaker's Secret (The Chronicles of Alice and Ivy, #1)
  • A Royal Masquerade  (The Tales of Ambia #2)
  • In Between (Katie Parker Productions, #1)
  • I Don't Dance
  • A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)
  • A Jar of Fireflies
  • Roadside Assistance (Roadside Assistance, #1)
  • A Time to Speak (Out of Time, #2)
  • 100 Days of Sunlight
  • Fawkes
  • Baby Mine
  • Otto of the Silver Hand
  • Live Without You
  • Emmanuel
  • Porch Swing Girl (Tradewinds, #1)
  • The Lady of the Vineyard  (Kees & Colliers, #2)
  • A Time to Rise (Out of Time, #3)
Abigayle has been a writer ever since her mother taught her how to hold a pencil. However, she devoted more time to reading words with her green eyes than penning them with her left hand. Inspired by a crazy dream at the age of sixteen, she set off on a journey to self-publish her first novel, Martin Hospitality.

Since then, Abigayle has devoted herself to sharing what she has learned through the