Start by marking “Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)

Wintersmith

(Discworld #35)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  49,413 ratings  ·  1,662 reviews

Tiffany Aching is a trainee witch — now working for the seriously scary Miss Treason. But when Tiffany witnesses the Dark Dance — the crossover from summer to winter — she does what no one has ever done before and leaps into the dance. Into the oldest story there ever is. And draws the attention of the Wintersmith himself.

As Tiffany-shaped snowflakes hammer down on the

Published October 1st 2006 by HarperTempest (first published September 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Wintersmith, please sign up.
Ruth Fanshaw You can read the Discworld books in any order. However, there are several different threads/sequences of stories, each featuring a separate group of…moreYou can read the Discworld books in any order. However, there are several different threads/sequences of stories, each featuring a separate group of characters, and most people like to follow each sequence through in order. (A character from one thread may also make a cameo appearance in another thread, which is quite fun.)

The Tiffany Aching sequence actually also features characters from the Lancre Coven sequence, principally the ever awesome Granny Weatherwax, though Tiffany is the central character in these books.

Wintersmith is the third Tiffany Aching book. The first is "The Wee Free Men", so you might be better starting there. The first Granny Weatherwax book is "Equal Rites".

All that said - if you just want to read this one book, well dive right in! :) Pratchett was a good enough writer to give you the info you need to not feel disorientated. :) I'm confident that you'll be left wanting to read more Discworld books, wherever you start. :)

Hope this is helpful. :)(less)
Cassandra Well, for is kinda misleading. It's certainly a book where the main character is 13, and kids around that age would definitely love it. But adults…moreWell, for is kinda misleading. It's certainly a book where the main character is 13, and kids around that age would definitely love it. But adults also love it. I think that primarily, Pratchett wrote for adults but also for children of all ages. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I would start someone on Discworld from age 10-100, but kids 7-10 would enjoy Tiffany's earlier books (and the feegles) too.(less)

·  49,413 ratings  ·  1,662 reviews

Start your review of Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)
Nicholas Karpuk
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young adults, Pratchett fans, fantasy readers, you
I physically twitch in the presence of cheap irony. You know the sort of lazy humor, like saying it's weird that a cop hates donuts, or acting surprised that a jock is smart. The sort of glib, lazy attempts at humor and cleverness that usually make it on to bumper stickers just makes me cringe. It's the same school of humor as people who put, "My other car is a broomstick" on their bumpers.

When Terry Pratchett started the witch series in the Discworld universe I considered that as close as the
Tiffany Aching is nearly thirteen years old and enduring her toughest apprenticeship yet. Miss Treason lives in a lonely cottage on the forested mountainside; she’s blind and deaf and 113 years old, and “borrows” the eyes and ears of the creatures around her to see and hear better than those who rely on their own senses. She decorates her house with gruesome, stereotypical witch memorabilia to intimidate her visitors. Most girls don’t last a day serving Miss Treason. Tiffany has been there over ...more
Lyn
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A very original Discworld story, this one the third in the Tiffany Aching sub-series.

First published in 2006 and the 35th in the Discworld bibliography, Terry Pratchett describes Tiffany as a young witch still in training but coming into herself and setting her sights on the kind of witch she will be (and not always in serviceable black.) As in others in this sub-series, the juxtaposition between Tiffany and the other witches (particularly Granny Weatherwax) makes this fun. Old Miss Treason (who
Kalin
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
13 March 2015:

To one of my dads in spirit:

We remember you.

And then one day a traveling teacher (...) talked about how some wizards had once, using very skillful magic, worked out exactly what a human being was made of. It was mostly water, but there were iron and brimstone and soot and a pinch of just about everything else, even a tiny amount of gold, but all cooked up together somehow.

It made as much sense to Tiffany as anything else did. But she was certain of this: If you took all that stuff
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019

“Our kelda is havin’ dreams. Dreams o’ the future. Dreams o’ the hills all froze an’ everyone deid an’ the big wee hag wearin’ a crown o’ ice!”
“My goodness!”
“Aye, an’ there wuz more! She saw a green tree growin’ in a land o’ ice! She saw a ring o’ iron! She saw a man with a nail in his heart! She saw a plague o’ chickens an’ a cheese that walks like a man!”

Crivens! I can’t give anything less than five stars for a story about the ‘big wee hag’, Tiffany Aching. She is one of the best characters
Res
May 19, 2007 rated it liked it
The third book involving Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegles -- the one where Tiffany dances with the Wintersmith and gets herself into the middle of the ancient romance of summer and winter.

I love the witches, and I love the Feegles, and I love Tiffany, and it's always a pleasure to spend time with them. And yay for Roland growing up. And I loved the subplot involving Miss Treason and the slight improvement in Annagramma.

Having said that, I had serious problems with this book.

The most
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my LOCUS Y-A list.

I think I’ll always have a soft-spot for imaginative young-adult speculative fiction and as the good people at Locus did such a grand job with picking their Sci-Fi winners, I’ll trust them to single out some special y-a books too.

I remember
Joey Woolfardis
First read: 13th June, 2013. 3 stars.
Second read: 30th July, 2018. 3 stars.

Tiffany's third outing in the Discworld series sees her a couple of years older and learning her witchcraft from another old witch, this time one who appears to be a bit more "witch-y" than any of the others. She wears black, has a predominantly black house full of cobwebs and strikes fear in to the hearts of those she helps.

Whilst Tiffany may be older, she's also now a teenager, which brings with it all sorts of
Nicole
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Another case of feeling whatever I could write in praise of this would be insufficient, so I'll just be brief in my Pratchett-worship.
This is yet another fantastic Tiffany adventure, deceptively simple in some ways, very complicated and profound in others. The Wintersmith is both frightening and something to feel a bit sorry for. What it really takes to be a witch is the same thing it takes to be a responsible human being of any type--it's just the various embellishments that change people's
Julie
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A lighthearted and fun entry in the Discworld series providing several hours of entertaining listening. However, I didn't engage with it in quite the same way as some of the others, and while I loved the narrator's voice, I did not enjoy the unnecessary and odd choice of interval music that played at the beginning and end of each disc.
Charity
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pratchett is a wordsmith. He creates a divine world into which he spins his stories... stories of magic, where seasons have personalities and can become ... almost human. This is the case of the Wintersmith, when young witch Tiffany Aching leaps into the midst of the winter dance and takes the place of Summer. Wintersmith is captivated by her and wants to become human so as to be with her. He starts courting her with wintery magic, including millions of little Tiffany snowflakes. But as Granny ...more
YouKneeK
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wintersmith is the third book in the Tiffany Aching subseries of Discworld. In this book, Tiffany has made a mistake that has put not only herself but also everybody she knows, and a whole bunch of people she doesn’t know, in danger.

There really isn’t too much I can say about this book that I haven’t already said about the previous two. I’m still really enjoying the series, and I still really like the characters in it. In this book, two of my favorite characters from previous books got a decent
Len Evans Jr
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
What more can one say when your reviewing a book written by a master at the height of his craft? First off I have to say that I have yet to read a Discworld novel that I did not adore. Terry Pratchett was a treasure and has allowed me so so many hours of pleasure, laughing my way through book after book. I have read quite a few of his books more than once and enjoyed them each and ever time. I only have a few left that I have not read and have sorta put off reading all of them just because once ...more
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 27/09/2007
Author: Terry Pratchett
Recommended for: fans of fantasy novels

This is another amazing book in the Discworld series (number 35), in this book we meet the character Tiffany Aching. She is a really wonderful, likeable and funny character who adds a great amount of fun to the novel. In this book we go on the adventure with her when the spirit of winter (the wintersmith) falls in love with her! If she doesnt figure out a way to deal with him there will never be spring again,
Martyn Stanley
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well I've always been a Pratchett fan and I've always loved Tiffany Aching. I think the same is true for my daughter now too! Before I get stuck into the nitty-gritty of the review, the quick, obligatory plug: I don't just read I write. Mainly fantasy with a bit of old English folklore on the side. Most people who read my books enjoy them. If you're looking for something a bit different to read in the fantasy genre - check them out:-
Lady Death (Deathsworn Arc Book 0) by Martyn Stanley The Last Dragon Slayer (Deathsworn Arc, #1) by Martyn Stanley The Verkreath Horror (Deathsworn Arc, #2) by Martyn Stanley The Blood Queen (Deathsworn Arc, #3) by Martyn Stanley Rise of the Archmage (Deathsworn Arc, #4) by Martyn Stanley The Temple of the Mad God (Deathsworn Arc, #5) by Martyn Stanley The Lambton Worm by Martyn Stanley Return of the Worm Slayer (The Lambton Worm #2) by Martyn Stanley

Right! That's that out of the way. Back
Jane Lebak
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Tiffany Aching stories is better than the second and remedies the gaps present in the first book, although I think 1 and 3 are probably about tied in terms of craft and execution.

My BIG gripe with this book is the setup. There was no reason for Miss Treason not to tell Tiffany what the dance was at the start. Tiffany reacted by instinct to a situation for which she was unprepared, and then she spent the rest of the book accepting personal responsibility for the havoc that
Shovelmonkey1
I read this a long time ago, but not as long ago as I read all the preceding Pratchetts. Yes. I love all things Pratchett (mostly) and have accumulated an extensive Pratchett archive since about the age of thirteen. Sadly most of these books have been tucked away in my parents attic for the last twelve years but the wonder of encountering the Discworld has never been forgotten.

I've read all of the Tiffany Aching series, including the Wee Free Men. Thinking back now, I can't really remember a
Denise
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The wee Big Hag and feagles!
Ric
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars, but I’m rounding up because it very well could be 5. The Tiffany Aching books are marketed as the YA entries to Discworld, but they don’t feel like it. Tiffany is an amazing protagonist that feels much older than she is because of all that she’s experienced. She’s clever and self-assured, and has that sense of responsibility that feels like it’s way beyond her years. She’s the main reason that this series is so good, but the side characters like the Nac Mac Feegle are fantastic as ...more
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
As with most of Pratchett's books, I found 'Wintersmith' to be extremely entertaining, but not exceptional. Unlike many of the Discworld books, this novel will definitely be helped along if you've read some of the previous books in the series that deal with the same characters (The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky).
I've read the first, but not the second.
The story deals with the teenage apprentice witch, Tiffany Aching, who is helped/hindered by her friends the Nac Mac Feegles (blue,
Shiloah
Lovely. Just lovely. The creativity of Pratchett keeps me smiling.
La La
This is my favorite title of the four Pratchett's I have read! Now if anyone asks me where to start reading the series, I will say with the Tiffany Aching arc. This is very YA readership friendly, too. I buddy read this with Annemieke from A DANCE WITH BOOKS, and we are already planning on buddy reading I Shall Wear Midnight next month. We have to get our Tiffany fix!
Christopher
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moira Russell
I'm trying to write reviews again, instead of just ratings and status updates -- my problem is I always want to write The Exhaustive Review, and so wind up writing none. UH WHOOPS. I figure I'll start small with this book.

I had real difficulty getting into the story -- I didn't like the tone of the combined narrative voice/Tiffany's thoughts very much (it felt sort of simultaneously dumbed-down and punched-up for the YA market, and I missed the usual sarcastic undercutting tone of the
R.F. Gammon
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I remember very much enjoying this book <3
Linda
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Wintersmith is the third tale in the story of Tiffany Aching who found, at the age of 9, that she had inherited her grandmother’s legacy as a witch. Tiffany is now almost 13 and it is time for her to learn how to use her special abilities in the world as she finds herself in the house of Miss Treason who will guide her in her lessons. Oh, waily, waily, waily! Tiffany has attracted the attention of the spirit of winter himself and soon finds her likeness being etched in everything from the frost ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wonderful, funny, and so informative! Are you aware that Limbo was called that because the door was so low?
Angel 一匹狼
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, but particularly Pratchett fans, of course
Lots of heart. That is what "Wintersmith" has. A wonderful, little, YA novel from the great Terry Pratchett, that never overstays its welcome, and, as its characters, knows way more about humanity, society, reality, relationships and magic that it may seem at first sight.

The story is not overly complicated. Tiffany Aching makes a mistake, joining the dance between the Summer and Wintersmith, taking Summer's place, and our friend from the cold decides that she is the love of 'his' life and starts
Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*
You have won my heart, Sir Terry Pratchett. This has got to be one of the funniest and most delightful fantasy series ever. Tiffany Aching is such a strong and lovable female protagonist, and I can't wait to explore more of her world!
Melanie
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
I’m definitely a Pratchett fan, so it is unlikely I would NOT like this book. It is the third book in the YA Tiffany Aching series. It follows Tiffany in her final days training to become a witch. When she foolishly jumps into the Winter dance, she finds herself courted by the Wintersmith himself...and possibly sending the world into an endless winter. With the help of her human, witchy, and mythical friends, she will need to fix what she broke. I recommend all of Pratchett's Discworld books.
2015 Reading Chal...: Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett 5 61 Apr 12, 2015 05:44PM
Discworld: Wintersmith Read Along Part III 1 17 Sep 30, 2013 08:33AM
Discworld: Wintersmith Read Along Part II 1 17 Sep 23, 2013 07:07AM
Discworld: Wintersmith Read Along Part I 1 22 Sep 16, 2013 07:28AM
Discworld: Tiffany Aching Read Along - Books 3 & 4 4 32 Sep 11, 2013 05:32AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Another DiscWorld Series 1 4 May 21, 2012 06:50AM

• The Brentford Triangle
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2: Research (Gunnerkrigg Court #2)
  • 魔法使いの印刷所 1 [Mahoutsukai no Insatsujo 1] (A Witch's Printing Office, #1)
  • American Gods (American Gods, #1)
  • Sasietā
  • Bezvēsts pazudušās
  • The Descenders (The Edge Chronicles: The Cade Saga, #3)
  • Slepkabota dienasgrāmatas 1. grāmata (Slepkabota dienasgrāmatas # 1-2)
  • aiz durvīm
  • Zawał
  • Vietējā stacija
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Farmer Giles of Ham/The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
  • Las guías de la bruja: vías de escape. Compendio práctico de portales a mundos de fantasía
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • Frost Fair
  • Meerkat Christmas
  • That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels,

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
“The trouble is you can shut your eyes but you can’t shut your mind.” 409 likes
“This I choose to do. If there is a price, this I choose to pay. If it is my death, then I choose to die. Where this takes me, there I choose to go. I choose. This I choose to do.” 393 likes