Start by marking “Monstrosity” as Want to Read:
Monstrosity

Monstrosity

The Food. It seeped from the ground, a living, gushing, teratogenic nightmare. It contaminated anything that ate it, causing nature to run wild with horrible mutations, creating massive monstrosities that roam the land destroying towns and cities, feeding on livestock and human beings and one another.

Now Frank Bowman, an ordinary farmer with no military skills, must get
Published March 5th 2017 by Severed Press

To ask other readers questions about Monstrosity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monstrosity

Start your review of Monstrosity
RedemptionDenied
Dec 09, 2017 marked it as to-read
Update: 09/12/17. This is currently on offer for the next 4 days 9 hrs: 0.99p in the UK and (possibly) $1.33 in the States. There may be a slight disparity with the States price, but it's on the Kindle Countdown Deal.
Kenneth McKinley
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know a writer kicks ass when they can stretch your imagination to the point where, when you look back, you can't believe how much of the story you were buying. Curran does that in spades with Monstrosity. Monstrosity takes your typical rural Midwest setting and turns it on its ear in this dystopic tale.

Tremors begin happening in rural Wisconsin and out of the formed cracks oozes out what is called The Food. It looks white, marshmallow fluff and the wildlife and plants are "feeding" off of
Michael
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el250
I recently taught Tim Curran's MONSTROSITY in a college-level introductory lit course -- literally titled "Monstrosities." The book exhibits Curran's wildly playful imagination when set free and allowed to take inventive extremes. I don't want to spoil any surprises, because this is a book where you begin to turn the pages dying to see what crazy creature will be unleashed next, and whether or not the author will be able to top the one you just read about, with your jaw on the floor. There are ...more
Matthew
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oof, this book was something. If monsters have nightmares, those nightmares would have these monsters in them. They were unique, well described and actually creepy (when was the last time you read about a creepy monster in a modern book?).

If I had to have something to complain about, the choice of words would be one thing - Curran uses several words that we don't use very often and it causes the reader to stumble a bit and try to recall their meaning (or I'm just a backwoods idiot, one of the
Rose☮️
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Triffids meets lovecraftian meets Nature Gone Wild!!!
Although this Tim Curran didn't live up to my expectations following his Dead Sea book, it was fairly imaginative as far as apocalyptic world endings go.

The world setting, the "food" coming from within the earth to feed and mutate all living things was spectacularly wierd and horrific, my problem lies in the execution of the characters. They didn't feel believable at all. Vet much one dimensional and "filler people" including the main
Dustin
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun!

Monstrosity by Tim Curran was another apocalyptic tale by one of my favorite authors. Tons of beasties decorate the pages of this book. Check it out!
John R. Dailey Jr.
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A FINE AND HORRIBLE TALE OF FUBAR IT IS...

Hello, this is one hell of a story. About as bad as it could get. Wonderfully written and entertaining. Very fresh idea. Thanks.
Sonia Ighalo
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a different type of horror, reaching into the worst case reality we all have in the back of our minds. If those environmental woes could be printed on paper this would be the end result. I liked the plot but seemed far fetched that the main characters friends all succu

To horrible deaths but the characters missing children made it through all the horrors of this new world. Furthermore, to make it alive to a church surrounded by these horrors, next to impossible.

All in all a good read.
Jordan Anderson
Spooktober 2018 Book 3

It’s been a long time since I’ve read Curran. And maybe, that’s for the best, since, at the end there, I wasn’t exactly thrilled with his work; it began to feel stale and unoriginal and basically horror for horror’s sake with no real story or reason.

Monstrosity, thankfully, is not that. It’s a return to form for Curran. Complete with the myriad of vivid descriptions, horrific creatures, blood, gore, and a halfway decent story mixed in there too.

If you’ve read basically any
Michael Latiolais
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read. A lot more concise than "Dead Sea," which I thought needed some editing to really hit its stride.
So, this is my second Curran book, and the second one that I felt was an expansion of a Lovecraft short. In this case, "The Colour out of Space." Well executed. I would have liked to see the protagonist break a bit more, given the insane things happening around him. And I didn't particularly like the ending. The final conflict was ok, but it felt like he wanted to wrap things up. I
Peter Bird
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I guess you don't read this stuff for its literary value. You read it to get your fix of crappy b grade monster fiction, which this book delivers in abundance. There are nasty sucking things on every second page: each one more putrifyingly horrible than the last.
We (the readers) aren't really told what is happening with the world. Where did all these monsters come from? You won't find an answer. You won't find much of a storyline, and you won't have time to get too cosy with the characters. But
Ashley
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Right idea but missed the mark

The storyline was intriguing, however, the writing style wasn't phenomenal. There was a lack of depth to the characters, and to the story itself. If that had been added to the story, then it would've been a better read. Nonetheless, this made for a good, quick entertaining read if one needed something to pass the time. Just don't expect an amazing read from this book. This book was an equivalent to a corny B horror movie at its best.
Tellivus Wale
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed "Monstrosity." The apocalypse that besets the characters is so odd but becomes so horrifying it can't help but be engaging. In a world of cookie-cutter disasters in fiction Tim Curran has drudged up something fresh and... monstrous. Worth your time to read, which is the highest praise I can give a story.
Todd
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It has lots and lots of monsters. Need I say more?
Cathy Gudger
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This story was really out there! I skipped a lot if that tells you anything. I like this writer though, and will continue to read his books.
Madeleine
Enjoyed this! More in the beginning, but it held all the way through.
DJMikeG
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yet another excellent book by Tim Curran. Fantastically grotesque and filled with bizarre imagery, this is one of the more original End of the World horror novels I've read. Curran is one of the most dependable authors working today, I've yet to read anything disappointing by him. Highly recommended.
KeithGentles
Mar 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Haunted Forest Tour
  • Infestation
  • Cavern of the Damned (Grant Coleman Adventures, Book 1)
  • Ferocious
  • North American Lake Monsters
  • Horror Island: Where Nightmares Become Reality
  • Seed
  • Slithers
  • The Sleep Experiment (World's Scariest Legends #2)
  • Harvest Deep (Harvest Deep, #1)
  • Scorpion Swarm
  • Mongrels
Tim Curran lives in Michigan and is the author of the novels Skin Medicine, Hive, Dead Sea, Resurrection, The Devil Next Door, and Biohazard, as well as the novella The Corpse King. His short stories have appeared in such magazines as City Slab, Flesh&Blood, Book of Dark Wisdom, and Inhuman, and anthologies such as Shivers IV, High Seas Cthulhu, and Vile Things.

For DarkFuse and its imprints,