Start by marking “Mayhem & Mass (A Sister Lou Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Mayhem & Mass (A Sister Lou Mystery #1)

Mayhem & Mass

(A Sister Lou Mystery #1)

A Los Angeles transplant, Sister Louise "Lou" LaSalle feels right at home in Briar Coast, New York. After all, her beloved nephew, Chris, works at the college founded by her congregation. But while Sister Lou has always played by the rules, she's about to have her faith in herself tested--by murder . . .

Sister Lou expects some pushback when she invites her friend, Maur
Published November 28th 2017 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Mayhem & Mass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mayhem & Mass

Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A delightful new sleuth is on the scene!

Who do you get when you cross Father Dowling and Jessica Fletcher? Sister Louise “Lou” LaSable. Cozy mysteries have been waiting for her for a long time!

I have only good things to say about MAYHAM & MASS. Brilliant writing, a uniquely wonderful cast of characters and an excellent, hard to guess plot. There were so many twists and turns, I got dizzy! I didn’t guess the killer, even though I thought I was on the right track.

Spending time with Sister Lou
Kristina
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, cozy-mysteries
Mayhem and Mass by Olivia Matthews is the first book A Sister Lou Mystery series. Sister Lou LaSalle is a sister with St. Hermione of Ephesus in Briar Coast, New York. She has invited her old friend, Dr. Maurice Jordan to be their speaker for Saint Hermione of Ephesus Feast Day presentation. Sister Lou’s choice was not a popular one since Dr. Jordan, a theology professor, is known for his controversial views. The day of his speech, Maurice fails to show up on time or respond to Sister Lou’s phon ...more
Mary  (Biblophile)
I wanted to like this book but couldn't get past the constant repetition, especially about the colors of everything. The book was seriously over long and drawn out. The nun who investigated her friend's murder has possibilities and may evolve more as the series progresses. I skipped over huge parts of the story as it didn't move things along. There were too many points of view which caused some lack of cohesiveness. Hopefully, some of these negatives will be fixed in future books.
Odessa Green
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I’m not Catholic. I’m Baptist. I even taught Sunday School for children for awhile (and managed to increase the amount of children at the church)! My grandmother was Catholic before she moved out of Arkansas. However, there were no Catholic churches near where she lived in Illinois that allowed black people to attend service there, and so in searching for another place of worship and to be around like minded, god-fearing people she joined one of the few black churches in town. It was a Baptist c ...more
Lisa D.
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this cozy mystery by Olivia Matthews and I like the protagonist, Sister Louise LaSalle, aka, Sister Lou. This is my first time reading a cozy mystery; I love watching cozy mystery-themed TV shows, but this was a great book. i am glad Matthews is doing a series and can't wait for the second book, coming out in July.
Miriam
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, mysteries
Mayhem ensues with a touch of romance and misdirection. This cozy is perfect for lovers of romance and mystery with a dash of religion thrown into the mix.

Look for longer reviews in the Columbus (OH) Dispatch Newspaper http://www.dispatch.com/ and Ohioana Quarterly Newsletter http://www.ohioana.org

I received an ARC in exchange for an unbiased review.
MsAprilVincent
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, mystery
I wanted to like this book about a Sister from the Order of St. Hermione (who's got a pretty good story herself, if you're into saints). Unfortunately, the writing got in the way.

In small Briar Coast, Sister Lou has arranged for an old college friend, De. Maurice Jordan, to speak to the congregation about some of his controversial views on women and the church. Unfortunately, the day before his presentation, he's murdered in his hotel room. Since the police department has targeted members of th
Eric
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for the ARC.

Mayhem and Mass is the first in a new cosy mystery series featuring Sister Lou LaSalle of the Congregation of St Hermione of Ephesus.

In this debut, Sister Lou investigates the murder of her great friend, theologian Maurice Jordan, on the eve of his engagement as speaker at the Feast Day celebration of St Hermione. In the investigation she is supported by her nephew, Chris, and reporter, Shari Henson.

While the local police focus on members o
Mary
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Too much unnecessary details. The color referrals drove me crazy at the end. Almost like the author had a minimum amount of words she had to write.
Penny
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I was fortunate and won Mayhem & Mass by Olivia Matthews from a Goodreads giveaway
This is the first book featuring Sister Lou. A good friend of hers whom she has known for years is murdered and she is determined to find out who murdered Maurice Jordan.
The story could have been a light read and entertaining, but I found it to be repetitive. We have two cops featured that seem to be bordering on dumb and dumber. They don’t seem to want to really follow any leads and are content to let Sister L
Tiffany
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sister Lou invited her dear friend Maurice to come speak with her congregation and was so happy to see him again. Sister Lou never thought she wouldn’t see him again and she is determined to find out who was the person behind his murder. Sister Lou with some help will uncover some secrets that some may wish to stay hidden.

I really enjoyed this mystery novel. Sister Lou was determined to find out who killed her dear friend and she was going to stop at no costs to find out who did this. Throughout
Michael
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise for a new series, but this was a very slow read. The characters were not well developed and, frankly, were not interesting. The plot moved along very slowly; it was difficult keeping interest.
Jeanne
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Really about a 3.5. Sister Lou is both anticipating and apprehensive about a presentation given by her old friend Maurice, a religious scholar whose views can be quite controversial... but when Maurice is found murdered, she has to wonder if someone found his views so enraging that it cost him his life. Aided by her handsome nephew Chris and a prickly but attractive journalist, Sister Lou is determined to solve the case.

I wasn't sure I was going to make it through this one at the start as the co
Stanley McShane
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
The protagonist, an LA transplant to the small community of Briar Coast in New York, Sister Louise "Lou" LaSalle has gotten very comfortable at the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Hermione of Ephesus. Sister Lou also has her nephew, Chris, close by working at the college founded by the congregation.

Sister Lou has invited an old friend, Maurice Jordan, to be a guest speaker for their Feast Day presentation. When he fails to stick to his early bird schedule and she cannot get hold of him, she k
Annie
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC copy of this book.

Despite this being more of a Christian-themed cosy mystery, I enjoyed it for the most part. The story takes places at the congregation of St Hermione of Ephesus, which is a community of sisters - not nuns. The differences being that the sisters live a less modest lifestyle, can drive, wear (tasteful) jewellery, etc. Sister Lou LaSalle is an LA transplant who has found her place in the world in Briar Coast, New York, at the co
F. P.
May 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Sigh... Where to begin? An amateur effort here. First off, easily-solved weak mystery. As soon as the killer appears you know it. Weak, annoying characters.

FAR too much attention to wardrobe. The author uses it to define character and character's moods, but WAY too much. It's repetitive, silly. One mght be reading a clothing catalogue. Descriptions become repetitve, merely pointing out the author's limited skill and narrow palate: bronze, bronze, bronze and more bronze and every conceivable sha
Susan Johnston
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Princess Fuzzypants here:
Sister Lou is like none other, or, forgive the pun, nun other. She is a respected member of her mother house who has invited a highly controversial friend to deliver a talk for the feast day. They are old friends and when they dine together the night before the speech, she can tell he is disturbed by something but does not wish to pry. She wishes she had when she discovers his body the next morning.
She feels guilty that she invited him to the place where he was murdered
Sandra Jean
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mayhem & Mass the first in the series by Olivia Matthews had me finishing the book in two sittings. I do not usually like suspense or mystery but Ms Matthews has me becoming a fan of the genre very quickly, definitely a fan of her work. Cannot wait for the second book in the Sr. Lou Mystery.
If you are a product of Catholic Schools, the references will bring you back to your fondest memories or your worse nightmares, some of the characters reaction to Sr. Lou are predictable, funny, and famil
Kelly Knapp
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cosy mystery readers
Recommended to Kelly by: Won as part of the Goodreads Firstreads Giveaways
In this debut series about a nun who is drawn into a murder investigation when the local police are looking in all the wrong places, we meet Lou, an nun who has transferred from LA to a small bucolic community in New York State. Her friend has been murdered and she intends to find out who and why he was murdered. There are plenty of suspects and we quickly realize that secrets abound.

While the character of Lou is well rounded, it is suggested that she follows the "rules" so that her deciding to
Kathleen Gray
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
If a murder mystery can be described as gentle, this is it. Matthews has created a lovely character in Sister Lou, who is determined to find out who murdered her friend Maurice, who has some controversial views but wasn't someone worthy of such violence. She teams up with Shari, a reporter, and her nephew Chris when local law enforcement isn't investigating to her satisfaction. Briar Coast is a small college town and, to be honest, Matthews doesn't exploit it to the fullest but that's ok. It hel ...more
Deatri King-Bey
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone has murdered a close friend of Sister Lou, and the police are either inept and/or unwilling to do their job and solve the case. Not to be outdone, Lead Foot Lou (as I oh so affectionately call Sister Lou) sets out to catch the lout who murdered her friend.

From the moment I read Sister Lou’s driver’s license was suspended for speeding, I absolutely loved her. I’m so looking forward to the future releases of this series. The cast of characters are well balanced with those I like and don’t
Susan
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-new-york
Maurice Jordan was to speak at the Order of St. Hermoine, due to the intercession of his graduate school friend Sister Lou. But he's killed before he can deliver his sure-to-be-controversial address. Sister Lou feels impelled to find his murderer, with the help of her protective nephew Chris and newspaper reporter Shari, and obstructed by the local deputies, who feel competent to do it themselves, and members of her own order, who think it's an unsuitable occupation. I've read both of the books ...more
Vera
Jul 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Repetitive descriptions, circular investigation of a murder of Sr. Lou's friend, title has nothing to do with the plot; characters not very much depth; took SO long for them to figure out the killer when it was obvious 100 pgs before this tediously long book was ended.
One star means i had to make myself finish reading it (usually I stop reading a one star)and I didn't appreciate the tedious text. Repetitive writing, repeat..repeat; characters didn't have much depth;
title has nothing to do with t
Alex Reneski
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Reminds me of the Father Dowling mysteries, but needs some work before it reaches that level. It is enjoyable as a "cozy" with some religious information thrown in. I think the life of even a "plainclothes" nun is much more regulated than is portrayed. Nuns who lose their license for speeding are not generally given free reign to go or do what they please. However, with a "willing suspension of disbelief, this is a nice and entertaining book that I recommend, but not one to save for re-reading.

B
Ann
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This is book 1 in the Sister Lou Mystery Series and as the title indicates Lou is a nun who works with the college her order established many years ago. Her nephew is one of the administrators at the school and when Lou arranges for a controversial theologian to speak it attracts the attention of the local newspaper. Lou teams up with the reporter to solve the crime and keep the nuns safe and free from suspicion. Some religion but not preachy.
Randa D'aoust
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This first novel is a light read. The main character is Sister Louise, a sister in the Order of Hermoine and she is assisted by her nephew, Chris, and a local reporter, Sarah. There is a fair amount of introduction of characters and back stories, however it is done in the context of the mystery being solved. The connections between the characters seem a bit forced at times. It is an easy and amusing read.
Abby Pechin
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got an ARC of this book. There were a few typos, but alas, the content was phenomenal! It was a good, clean read. I really enjoyed the characters banter and I look forward to more books in this series. I am hoping that some romantic feelings will develop over time in the books between Shari and Chris, and I absolutely adore the main character, Sister Lou. I can't wait for the next book in this series! I couldn't put it down! Also, I couldn't guess the culprit, so bonus points for that!
Beth
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok 1st in series

Being from Buffalo I found the setting amusing. Sister Lou is an ok character but in some places in the plot her decisions and manners seemed very out of character. The murderer was far too easy to identify from 1st introduction. The police detective was too obnoxious. I would hope that that character would change in future installments
Sharon
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced readers copy of this book from NetGalley.
I really liked this book, I thought it was a nicely paced, clever and fun cozy mystery.
I loved the main characters and I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book in the series.
Cynthia Taylor
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sister Lou is Awesome!

Sister Lou is determined, loyal and discerning. She is determined to solve her best friends murder and is cunning, amusing and methodical. She has an amazing mind and truly loving heart!
#cillasbookmaniacs
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• King's Passion (House of Kings, #1)
  • A Passionate Night (The Bennett Triplets)
  • Trouble Don't Last Always
  • Full Bodied Murder (Rose Avenue Wine Club Mystery #1)
  • Seducing Abby Rhodes
  • Say No Moor (Passport to Peril #11)
  • Crazy in Love (A Love & Harmony Romance #1)
  • The Eleventh Commandment (Hallelujah Love #8)
  • Cuffed by Candlelight: An Erotic Romance Anthology
  • INVESTED (Dunning Trilogy Book 1)
  • Cowgirl Power: How to Kick Ass in Business and Life
  • A Pleasing Temptation (The Boudreaux Family)
  • Accused (Atlanta's Finest Series Book 3)
  • The Complete Photo Guide to Soap Making
  • Forces of Nature
  • Crowning Glory
  • Defying Desire (The Donovans #3)
  • When Hell Freezes Over

A Sister Lou Mystery (3 books)
  • Peril & Prayer (A Sister Lou Mystery #2)
  • Alibis & Angels (A Sister Lou Mystery #3)