Start by marking “The Miner's Pale Children” as Want to Read:
The Miner's Pale Children

The Miner's Pale Children

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Published March 1st 1994 by Henry Holt & Company (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Miner's Pale Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Miner's Pale Children

Nicole Hardina
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Reading Merwin is like being inside of something but not being able to feel the edges; you never quite know where you are, and yet you feel natural about that, as if you were stepping in the footprints of someone walking just out of view, but who surely knows the way.
Miles Klee
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Fucking what did I want? It was given to me back in college, by a teacher, presumably to blow my rickety little mind, which it did, and because I’d written something that, to the ear of this teacher, pitifully echoed the majestic weirdness of “Postcards From The Maginot Line,” and I suppose five years later I admire Merwin’s prescience, his commitment to baffling interiority, his of course poetic play on prose, but there was also, this time around, the clammy dread of not being, for better or wo ...more
James
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
W. S. Merwin recently became our nation's latest Poet Laureate. I could not be more thrilled. But then I realized that I haven't mentioned what a Merwin booster I am here on good old GoodReads, so I'm remedying that now with this, my favorite of his many books.

It's not really poetry as such. It's . . . stories? fables? parables? Hard to define or classify, really. And I've read this countless times.

I also own several copies, and I often give them to people I like. So if you don't have one, and I
Taylor
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure how to rate this. The fact that Merwin even has a collection of prose was incredible to find. It's an odd collection: a mix of fairy tale, parable, magical realism, allegory, and meditations. I will need to flip through and re-read the stories I really loved. Some stories were a bit too slight, and some were too on the nose about its allegory.
Padraic
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Imagine one of America's great poets wrote about growing up in your town, in language so beautiful it washes the grime off your neck and makes you think you're not tragically crippled to come from such a place. Instead, you might be blessed.
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Short prose pieces that read like poems or Zen koans. Beautiful, original, and moving.
Catherine Brizzi
Nov 05, 2008
Ron Louthan
Mar 25, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
William Stanley Merwin (New York City, September 30, 1927) is an American poet, credited with over 30 books of poetry, translation and prose. During the 1960s anti-war movement, Merwin's unique craft was thematically characterized by indirect, unpunctuated narration. In the 1980s and 1990s, Merwin's writing influence derived from his interest in Buddhist philosophy and deep ecology. Residing in Ha ...more
More about W.S. Merwin...