Start by marking “Poušť v plamenech (Poušť v plamenech, #1)” as Want to Read:
Poušť v plamenech (Poušť v plamenech, #1)

Poušť v plamenech

(Rebel of the Sands #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  35,551 ratings  ·  5,924 reviews
Amání je neohrožená pistolnice a osud pouště jí leží v rukou.
Pouštnímu národu země Mirádži vládnou smrtelníci, ale v divokých, holých pustinách se pořád potulují mystická stvoření z dávných pověstí a někde prý stále čarují i samotní džinové. Na městečku Prachov ale nic mystického ani magického není a Amání se už nemůže dočkat, až z něj zmizí.
Jestli zde zůstane, jejím osude
Published May 2017 by CooBoo (first published March 8th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Poušť v plamenech, please sign up.
Amada The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas is SERIOUSLY AMAZING. It is definitely worth all the hype, I promise. Each book gets better and better. So…moreThe Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas is SERIOUSLY AMAZING. It is definitely worth all the hype, I promise. Each book gets better and better. So if the first one starts off "flatter" than you expected...just keep on going!!!!! YOU WON'T REGRET IT.

*Also, the other series by Sarah J Mass, A Court of Thorns and Roses is a must read! The second book in this series, A Court of Mist and Fury is my favorite book I have ever read! And it just won the award for "Best Young Adult Fantasy"!!!!!! SOOOO GOOD!

And lastly, if you haven't read the Wrath and the Dawn, this book is truly beautiful. It is easily my second favorite book. It has an amazing lead female protagonist who is smart and witty, it has adventure, and the romance is utterly beautiful. Although technically fantasy, I would not read this purely for the fantasy theme. But read, fall in love, and enjoy the beautiful adventure it will take you on.

I hope you enjoy these series as much as I have <3(less)

Sasha Alsberg
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars! Review coming soon to my channel...
Emily May
Jin had the sort of smile that would turn over whole empires to the enemy - that made me feel like suddenly I understood him exactly, even though I knew nothing about him.

I was so certain I would love this book. A Middle-Eastern fantasy with djinn, magic and mythical horses? It's like a unique and delicious recipe for exactly the kind of book I would love. And yet, for the first two thirds, I was so painfully bored I very nearly DNFed it.

Rebel of the Sands does pick up toward the end when the
Regan
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75

Review on my channel to come!
Let me start by saying I don’t give out 5 stars easily. It has to be a book I find nothing wrong with, absolutely love, and plan on reading again and again. Rebel of the Sands does all of that. About halfway through I was freaking out because I wanted a sequel so badly. I knew I would need way more of this world and the characters. I seriously cannot recommend this book enough.

The story starts with a shooting competition. Amani is disguised as a boy and needs to win in order to finally have eno
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Guys, meet your new favorite historical fantasy series.

This book has spectacular world-building, nimble dialogue, finely drawn characters, and epic battles with magic--not to mention so much chemistry between the main characters that the air is practically charged with the irresistible pull between them.

This is that sweeping story (and romance) you might've wanted from THE WRATH AND THE DAWN but didn't quite get. I loved the writing, I loved the characters, and I loved that everyone
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

Oh, good lord this book was boring. This is a spaghetti Western meets Middle Eastern fantasy and it is just as bad as it sounds. Ok, I guess it wasn't terrible terrible, but it is so excruciatingly dull.

Awhile back, Walk On Earth A Stranger came out. It was also a Western, and it was also super fucking boring. But apparently a lot of people loved it. I wasn't one of them.

Aside from the Middle-Eastern-magic thingy, there are a few similarities between this book and Walk On Earth A Stranger.

1. Gi
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I fell right in love with this freaking book! I don't usually like sand books < -- that's what I call them, lol, but I loved this one so much! It was such a different take on anything I have read. We have Amani who is dead on with a gun and she's wanting to get out of her town and away from her evil uncle and his wives and kids. It's not a very good living situation and she wants to get out before she is married off or married to her uncle. Hell to the no!

Amani enters a gun contest one night
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
I really enjoyed this! It was a very cool world and culture to be immersed in. Now that being said I didn't absolutely love it, but it was entertaining!
Lola
The series’ covers do not match! Why, oh why?

Tragedy aside, this shiny book took me longer than necessary to read. And it wasn’t because it wasn’t interesting, just very, very—pack of turtles running a marathon—slow.

The setting is unusual. It’s not everyday that I read a book set in the desert. That makes for a bleak visual world-building, I’m not going to lie. I wasn’t impressed by the description of places, no shock there.

Fortunately, I loved the mystical creatures presented, if I dare use t
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
First read of the year! I quite enjoyed this and while it did take me a little while to get drawn into the story, I was definitely entertained.

I also have a question - is the name "God" used correctly in this book? I believe the religion is fictional however it draws upon the Islamic faith so I'm unsure. There are many names for God and this particular name just instantly reminded me of the Christian god (maybe this is just because I'm most familiar with Christianity?). Alongside the Middle Eas
&#x1f98a; Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

"But if knowledge was power, then the unknown was the greatest weakness of immortal things.”

Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dustwalk always seemed like a prison to Amani - boring with horrible people in it.
The only things she loved were her mother and shooting with a gun.
When her mother gets hanged for killing her husband and Amani is being send to her aunt, Amani’s urge to run away becomes strong.
She tries to win the money to get away - but chaos and a foreigner come into her way.
Soon she meets the foreigner a
Kiki
Feb 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's not that this book was bad - it's that it was so bad I nearly had to do pails to get through it, so bad I felt tired just looking at it, so bad I ended up leaving it behind in France even though the copy I had didn't belong to me. It's fine, though, because I'm pretty sure the person who owns the copy I borrowed hates it so much she'd rather it were across the channel too.

I couldn't make head nor tail of it: it's a weird unnecessary blend of wild west and Arabic folklore, set against a sort
Maggie
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
❝Tell me that and we’ll go. Right now. Save ourselves and leave this place to burn. Tell me that’s how you want your story to go and we’ll write it straight across the sand.❞

I think everything from Rebel of the Sands was set differently but it just made it! Alwyn Hamilton was able to mix fantasy with some romance in it and set it in a midwestern/eastern setting and I think that was great of her! Even with that, the fantasy added more since there were mythical creatures and abilities given to t
C.G. Drews
I get slightly nervous going into Massively Highly Anticipated Books of My Life -- because what if I don't like it???? What if my expectations are too high??? Whatifwhatifwhatif. But, WHY DID I EVEN WORRY ABOUT REBEL OF THE SANDS?!? It was a glorious conglomeration of Persian fantasy, magic horses, sass, and guns...and I absolutely freaking loved it.

(Seriously tho, was this book written for me?? Omg.)

It's basically set in a dusty fantasy world with Middle Eastern influences. I was actually surpr
Hannah
Dec 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 Stars

I'm honestly amazed at how popular this book is considering how heavily it relies on stereotypes of middle eastern culture and lore to develop its plot, world, and characters.

Not a fan at all.
Trina (Between Chapters)
The summary of this book calls it a mash up of The Wild West and Arabian Nights (though it is not a retelling). I think that's pretty accurate in terms of the setting and feel. I do want to acknowledge that there are many negative stereotypes about Middle Eastern culture and the historical US West that are used here, but I don't think the author has ever lived in either region as far as I can tell. Although I ended up loving this story, I don't disagree with people who have questioned if it was ...more
may ❀

Buddy read 4/5 (we're aLMOST there !!!) with, Praggs ♡♡♡

DNF @ 50%

I started this book with such high expectations! I mean, fierce desert girl escaping a terrible situation with her sharpshooting skills! W o w, sounds great !!!

But after reading twelve chapters. . .

description

Personally, I’m just concerned where the plot went. . .Literally nonexistent.

The clichés in this book are intense. We got:

- “The Special Snowflake” – this girl has striking blue eyes (that has to be mentioned three times per chapt
Alyssa
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-releases
THE ENDING WAS PERFECT. Perfect, as in an excellent balance of "happy" and "omg tell me more". No cliffhanger, no agony, but things are just starting to heat up in the desert (hehehe). I can't wait to read more! :D

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
Book One of the Rebel of the Sands series
Publisher: Penguin
Publication Date: March 8, 2016
Rating: 5 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

She’s more gunpowder than girl—and the f
Sh3llraiser (grumpybookgrrrl)
I read this for the 2017 MacHalo Group Reading Challenge.

Five girl-with-the-gun stars!

This book is a little bit of this

and this

mixed with this:

The girl who taught herself to shoot a gun. Until she could knock down a row of tin cans like they were nothing and the gun was everything.

"Because I'm the girl with the gun."

What a fantastic debut novel! I loved it!

It's a Western set in an alternate Middle Eastern-type world. There are lots of magical beings - djinni, Skinwalkers, horses made of sand (Bu
Lauren
I loved everything about this book and to be honest I didn’t expect to. The fact that the setting was very different to what I usually read was why I loved it. I loved how Alwyn Hamilton decided to change the typical setting that is in every other book and made it so diverse. Everything about it was perfect! There was just enough romance, and all the fantasy and magical creatures were just great!! I was so intrigued from the beginning. The sad part now is that I need to wait to have the second b ...more
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

Rebel of the Sands has one of the best opening chapters I've read in a long time!

We start by finding Amani Al'Hiza disguised as a boy and about to take part in a gun shooting competition. To escape her dead-end town of Dustwalk and her repulsive uncle (who wants to marry her), she needs to win the competition to have enough money to finally flee to Izman. At the competition she meets Jin, the mysterious foreigner, and Amani soon finds
Nina
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Amani Al’Hiza has been trying to escape her hometown Dustwalk for years; but even though she’s a gifted gunslinger with a perfect aim, she just can’t manage to shoot herself out of the town on her own. But then she meets Jin, a rakish foreigner, in a shooting contest and sees him as the perfect escape route. But though she’s spent years dreaming of leaving Dustwalk, she never imagined she’d gallop away on a mythical horse – or that it would take a foreign fugitive to show her the heart of the de ...more
Beth
Four Stars!

Special thanks to Tânia for the recommendation!

“But if knowledge was power, then the unknown was the greatest weakness of immortal things.”

I think I have a new type of book that I seem to be enjoying a lot lately… and that is desert type books. I don’t know how else to put it. We have one of my new all time favourites An Ember in the Ashes and now we have this! I was pleasantly surprised by it. I had no idea what to expect going into this, I keep away from reviews and reading too muc
Lainey
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHRZy...

Update 2/19/16 - After sitting on this one, I'm rating it a 2.5 instead.

All I can really say about this is that the book left a lot to be desired.

Rebel of the Sands tells the story of a young woman gunslinger named Amani. She lives in this small town that she says has too many of two things: guns and sand. Orphaned and living with her uncle and aunts, she finds the opportunity to leave the town behind with the help of a mysterious foreigner.
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
It's been almost a year since I've read this, but it stuck to me in a way that I can still remember a lot about what I loved about it. In this glorious piece of heaven you will find:

1. A realistic heroine -- Amani's fierce AF. She has a huge mouth that she can't shut, is incredibly sassy and fierce. At first she was too into herself and a bit stuck up, but her development was amazing and she turned into such a compassionate, loving heroine by the end. (Not that her original murderous self wasn't
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

Wow this was so much fun! I loved Amani and Jin. The magic and the stories were really cool! Will definitely be continuing this series.
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
3.75 STARS

Rebel of the Sands reminded me so much of the Grisha trilogy mixed with some X-Men elements set in the desert.

This book was a pretty fun read. For sure I liked it but I didn't really love it. At times, the beginning felt a little slow and info dumpy but the story picks up fairly quickly. The characters were actually my favorite part and I loved all the different abilities each Demdji had. Although, I found that Amani's ability to manipulate sand was a little unusual. It was different f
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
WESTERNS, I love 'em. FYI.

So REBEL OF THE SANDS was already on my radar before I read the preview chapters, but now I NEEDS IT.

B/c this:

A group of factory workers still in their uniforms huddled around a nomad in a busted-up wagon who was shouting about selling Djinni blood that’d grant good folks their hearts’ desires. His wide grin looked desperate in the oily lamplight, and no wonder. It’d been years since anyone round these parts had seen a real live First Being, let alone a Djinni.
Besid
Kassidy
*3.75*

• A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • Bound by Blood and Sand (Bound by Blood and Sand #1)
  • Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold, #1)
  • Sword and Verse (Sword and Verse, #1)
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
  • The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1)
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
  • These Vicious Masks (These Vicious Masks, #1)
  • The Forbidden Wish (The Forbidden Wish, #1)
  • The Crown's Game (The Crown's Game, #1)
  • Assassin's Heart (Assassin's Heart, #1)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • Ivory and Bone (Ivory and Bone, #1)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Star-Touched Queen (The Star-Touched Queen, #1)

Rebel of the Sands (3 books)
  • Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands, #2)
  • Hero at the Fall (Rebel of the Sands, #3)
“Tell me that and we’ll go. Right now. Save ourselves and leave this place to burn. Tell me that’s how you want your story to go and we’ll write it straight across the sand.” 147 likes
“You know, I never believed in fate until I met you... then I started thinking coincidence didn't have near so cruel a sense of humor” 111 likes