Start by marking “The Vanity Fair Diaries: 1983-1992” as Want to Read:
The Vanity Fair Diaries: 1983-1992

The Vanity Fair Diaries: 1983-1992

Tina Brown kept delicious daily diaries throughout her eight spectacular years as editor-in-chief of Vanity Fair. Today they provide an incendiary portrait of the flash and dash and power brokering of the Excessive Eighties in New York and Hollywood.

The Vanity Fair Diaries is the story of an Englishwoman barely out of her twenties who arrives in New York City with a dream.
Audio CD, 17 pages
Published November 14th 2017 by MacMillan Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Vanity Fair Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vanity Fair Diaries

Start your review of The Vanity Fair Diaries: 1983-1992
Andrew Smith
I first became aware of Tina Brown when I saw an interview with her on British television. It was back in the 80’s and I think she was editor-in-chief at the UK society magazine Tatler at the time. I do remember being amazed at how this young women (she'd have been in her mid twenties then) was in such a senior job. She seemed to have it all going for her: good looking and articulate – the world at her feet. I lost track of her then, until I saw this book.

My knowledge of Vanity Fair was limited
Roman Clodia
The 'he' in question was Donald Trump! She saw his familiar Elvis coif making off across the Crystal Room. The sneaky, petulant infant was clearly still stewing about her takedown in VF over a year ago and had taken a glass of wine from the tray and emptied it down her back! What a coward! He couldn't even confront her to her face!

Brown has a strong and lively voice but some of the in-house negotiations, the constant stream of job offers and the number of hires and fires of people who are prett
Lou
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw this come up on NetGalley I was looking for a lighthearted read between my usual thriller and YA novels and this seemed ideal. I found it intriguing and felt compelled to read on. This is a book full to the brim with gossip and news heard through the grapevine. I thought I would enjoy it more than I actually did but that isn't to say I didn't find it interesting. There were parts I devoured - the remarks on Trump to name one such part.

I felt a slight fraud for reading it knowing it wo
Ted
Weeks behind in reading The New Yorker, I read this wonderful article by Nathan Heller about Tina Brown's book.

Normally I wouldn't be very much interested in a book about Vanity Fair, though I admit I don't know the magazine, and could be surprised by what's in it.

Nevertheless, Heller's article really caught me up. It's a wonderful narrative about both the magazine, it's resurrection from the dead under Tina Brown's years as head editor, and Brown herself,
Andie
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a long-time subscriber of Vanity Fair, I found it great fun to read Tina Brown's diaries of her time as editor of the magazine in the 1980's. A in her late twenties who had transformed the British society magazine, Tatler, as well as marrying the much-older editor of the London Times, Harry Brown, Tina Brown was imported to the US by Si. Newhouse to work her magic on the struggling recently re-launched Vanity Fair

The book is full of gossipy insights into the movers and shakers of the 1980
Lou
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I felt a slight fraud for reading it knowing it wo
Danielle's
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tina Brown's Vanity Fair Diaries. A glimpse into her life. A rich girl who finds a love for journalism and luckily it loved her back. This is her life story the glitz, glam and ambition.

Tina Brown was the editor of Tatler, Vanity Fair and The New Yorker. She is an award-winning writer and has met some interesting characters. This isn't a tell-all book, but she shares some interesting stories. Some good, some bad and some have a touch of humour. This is an interesting read with some great pictur
Giuseppe
Devilishly good read. So much scattered, yet very prescient, comments on Trump. But the book isn’t about Trump. I just found it funny how her comments about him indicate he just never grew up (and was always insecure about his tiny hands).
Britta Böhler
There is a bit much glitzy-name-dropping going on in the book, but still, the memoir captures the Reagan-1980ies and the world of magazine-making (including some behind the curtain corporate murk). And yes, I love Vanity Fair, which probably added to the enjoyment.
Danielle's
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it

Britta Böhler
Re-read.
Lively and entertaining book about the glitz and glamour of the magazine world in the 1980ies in New York.
Mahoghani 23
Tina Brown really displayed the magazine world in it's real perspective. It's just as worse as any other job that we all work on; back biting, political fighting, messy people...you name it and it's here in this book. She's open and honest about everything and everyone.

A lot of the stories she speaks of was during the time that I was a adolescent or teenager and wasn't really paying attention to what was going on in the world but she provided an insight and information that allowed me to go bac
Mona Nomura
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, crack
4.5 rounded-up to 5

Although I was raised during the downfall of magazines and publishing, Brown's account brought to life a glimpse into the glory days of publishing with all the expected glitz. It may not have been as glamorous as old Hollywood, but the opulent 80’s has a magnetism I’m strangely drawn to: Princess Di! The Reagans! Baryshnikov! Michael Jackson! Warren Beatty! Pan Am and TWA! Le Cirque! Texas billionaires! Ralph Lauren, Perry Ellis, and Calvin Klein heydays!

Brown's prose is so ch
James Smith
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Came for the Reagan-era dishing; stayed for the editorial masterclass.

We’ve been VF readers since the days Hitch was a columnist. But I didn’t appreciate how much the VF we know and love is the creation of Tina Brown. Her voice here is bold and charming. She’s a vulnerable badass who was also a business mastermind and an editorial genius. I started this as a longtime VF reader but quickly started taking notes as a magazine editor.
Dean Cummings
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For this reader, Tina Brown’s diaries are filled to a brimming five star rating…with plenty of enthusiasm still spilling over the edges!

Tina’s story felt very personal to me, and if you were to boil it all down to one thing, it would begin with one of my longstanding habits that reach all the way back to the mid 1980’s.

The force of this habit kicks in almost every time I pass a newsstand or drug store reading rack, my eye roving the titles until finally landing on “Vanity Fair” magazine. Even a
Furrawn
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting and intriguing look at the movers and shakers side of things. Her notes and diary give us an insider’s view to Vanity Fair and a world that’s sometimes shocking, awesome, and awful.

A great gossip read.
Joanna Elm
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up The Vanity Fair Diaries 1983-1992 by Tina Brown I was prepared for a fabulous stroll down memory lane. Tina did not disappoint for the most part, but one shocking (to me, anyway) revelation literally made me drop my Kindle.
Of course, I anticipated some major name-dropping and gossip from the decadent, over-the-top 80s when both Tina and I were editors in New York City: she, the fabulously talented, visionary editor who turned around Vanity Fair, a dying up-market glossy; me, the
Hayley
I grabbed The Vanity Fair Diaries from NetGalley when it was on read now almost a year ago but somehow I haven’t got around to reading it until now. I picked it up for non-fiction November last week and it was an enjoyable read.

The book is Tina Brown’s personal diaries from 1983 when she got the job as editor of Vanity Fair magazine until she moved on in 1992.

There are parts of this book that I really enjoyed. I loved finding out more about what it’s like to edit a magazine and how difficult it
Parvathy
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘80s America, with all it’s Bonfire of the Vanities and Reagan-era excesses is really the hero of this book. The back story to those famous Annie Leibovitz and Helmut Newton covers is fascinating even if you aren’t the celebrity junkie that I can be (can anyone forget that naked, pregnant Demi Moore?)The glamour and glitz of the New York media world (in what in retrospect turns out to be its heyday) is heady and intoxicating in this chronicle of a magazine’s turnaround. It’s Mad Men for publishi ...more
Jaclyn Crupi
I love it when regular customers come into the bookshop and recommend books to me. @mindychops felt pretty strongly that I’d enjoy this book (even though I hadn’t heard of Tina Brown) and she was right. It’s gossipy and moves at a frenzied pace as it inhabits the decadence of the NYC fashion world in the 80s. It’s also a book about a senior woman at work and the challenges she faced. I devoured it.
Neil
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, biography
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

The first quarter of the book was very good.
Unfortunately it all went downhill from there becoming very repetitive
If you like dinner parties and name dropping this might be for you.
Elizabeth Bugay
I always love a good journal and it was a good read, just did not have the impact that the magazine made on a younger me. I could not wait for my monthly arrival of the magazine. Wish there had been no mention of Donald Trump during the 80/90's. No surprise that he is the same narcissistic, tasteless, vengeful person we know today.
Rachel Davies
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED
Courtney Maum
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
PULLS NO PUNCHES- Wowzer.
Deborah Dobrin
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This books literally sums up the eighties. Power dressing, board room anitics, sexy and cruel. The language is full of hyperbole and sometimes reads a bit like a tabloid headline. I really enjoyed it.
Sara Oxton
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Vanity Fair Diaries: 1983-1992 by Tina Brown this was a thought provoking and interesting read. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting when I started this read, but it definitely wasn’t what I got but that being said I enjoyed the writing. What I loved most of this story was the fact that it’s a woman’s journey through her life, yes we get to hear some stories of her time at Vanity Fair and that’s the main pull for most people, but I enjoyed seeing behind the name. You get to see the honest woma ...more
Jessica M
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it

The Vanity Fair Diaries by Tina Brown is an astute, open-hearted, and hilarious memoir about her time as the editor-in-chief of Vanity Fair magazine.

This memoir is an inspirational book for young women, but also readers who have an interest in fashion or who want to work in fashion one day. Tina is confident, capable and courageous, and she succeeds in transforming Vanity Fair from a troubled and struggling magazine to a dominant and successful one.

“We accepted Libby’
Noemi Proietti
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love biographies, especially of people working in media and publishing, and I love Vanity Fair to which I subscribed for two years and I still occasionally buy, so I was really eager to read the autobiography (or better, journal) of one of the best editors Vanity Fair ever had.

Tina Brown was the young editor of Tatler magazine, but in 1983, Tina, then in her late twenties, left London to move to New York and become the editor of the just reborn Vanity Fair. Surrounded by a staff of talented ed
Bibliophile
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glitzy and gossipy and very interesting, Tina Brown's diary is very different from the one I used to keep. I sadly never had the opportunity to write entries like these:

"I had a drink with Warren Beatty at the Ritz-Carlton" or "Just back from Henry Kissinger's surprise sixty-first birthday party at the River House, billed as knockout-knockwurst, which turned out to be bulbous Germanic sausages and sauerkraut."

And those were both Mondays, mind you.

Literary chat is mixed with politics, celebrit
Nadia Zeemeeuw
I used to work in world of glamour magazines myself so I was quite excited to pick this book up as fast as I’ve heard about it. Alas, it didn’t work for me at all. I find a book mostly just boring, sometimes annoying - we spend way too many hours with Tina and don’t get to her any closer. All this vanity fair of dinners, lunches and fund-rising evenings do little to picture a glamorous world of 80s and 90s. As she gets to something really interesting to me (for example why Daryl Hannah ended up ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Play Book Tag: The Vanity Fair Diaries - Tina Brown - 3 stars 1 14 Jan 11, 2018 08:12AM

• The Glossy Years: Magazines, Museums and Selective Memoirs
  • Sticky Fingers: The Life and Times of Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone Magazine
  • The Operator: David Geffen Builds, Buys, and Sells the New Hollywood
  • Cowboys and Indies: The Epic History of the Record Industry
  • Spark for the Fire: How youthful thinking unlocks creativity
  • Appetite for Self-Destruction: The Spectacular Crash of the Record Industry in the Digital Age
Tina Brown, Lady Evans (born Christina Hambley Brown) is a journalist, magazine editor, columnist, talk-show host and author of The Diana Chronicles, a biography of Diana, Princess of Wales, a personal friend. Born a British citizen, she took United States citizenship in 2005. She became the editor-in-chief of Tatler magazine at the age of 25, and rose to prominence in the American media industry ...more

Articles featuring this book