Start by marking “The Breaking News” as Want to Read:
The Breaking News

The Breaking News

When devastating news rattles a young girl's community, her normally attentive parents and neighbors are suddenly exhausted and distracted. At school, her teacher tells the class to look for the helpers—the good people working to make things better in big and small ways. She wants more than anything to help in a BIG way, but maybe she can start with one small act of kindne ...more
Published April 10th 2018 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about The Breaking News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breaking News

Start your review of The Breaking News
Hannah Greendale
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This book is a must for helping children navigate the aftermath of devastating news. Not only will it help them better understand mom's/dad's behavior in response to depressing news, it teaches children how to respond and recover from such trying times. Gentle, poignant, approachable. Recovery starts with small steps, like handing this book to confused or scared little-ones.
Hilda
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children

Bad things happen. The news is constantly telling us all the bad things. What can kids do when bad things happen? How can they help? This story should be told to every child. It not only helps children with the anxiety but gives them positive solutions. It doesn't solve everything but it's the perfect platform to talk about bad things on television and what kids can do to help. It also reiterates the idea of looking for the helpers. It's a must read in today's world.
Jessie Oliveros
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sad, unknown event rocks the community of a little girl. She watches it affect her family, neighbors, friends, and school. There is something familiar about the sadness that settles over everyone around her. The quiet whispers. The heavy hearts. The illustrations and the muted colors convey this beautifully. Then this little girl tries to find the goodness in all the bad which is such a perfect lesson for children. When I read it to my little girls, they said that their favorite part was the e ...more
Jillian Heise
This. This is the picture book we all need for our classrooms. Every reader will apply their own interpretation as to what event the book is referring to, but it doesn't even matter. What matters is how this book will encourage conversations and help kids put into perspective all the bad news we hear, and how to handle it. A must-read/must-share picture book for 2018. What Most People and Come With Me did to start conversations, I think The Breaking News does even better and more accessibly.
Kaethe Douglas
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bad things happen, which can be disturbing for children who might not understand the need but can see the effect on everyone around them. Perhaps a book like this can help: to provide focus when tragedy strikes, but also to suggest a positive response before there is bad news. It seems like a good idea, and a hopeful one.

Library copy
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
When terrible things happen in the world, and grownups are devastated, what can children do?

The children in this story try a lot of different things to try to make things better. Finally, they decide to continue on, doing small things to help.

A perfect story for soothing children when the breaking news is not good.
Tina Cho
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Breaking News is a wonderful picture book that shows how little acts of kindness can go a long way. A community feels discouragement after bad news. A little girl tries her best to make her parents smile, but nothing works. She refuses to give up. The bad news never goes away, but neither does she. In the end, she shows her neighbors how to smile.

This is a great example of how kids can get involved in the community and show kindness in the midst of troubling circumstances.

Reul’s simple text
Pablo V
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-want
Is happening is why is boy is watch tv ? And her mom and dad want to see the kitchen and is tv 📺 Gome
Paul  Hankins
This book presents a scenario wherein bad news falls upon a house via the television. Told in the voice of the character, we don't know what this news is, but it is enough to disrupt the ordinary happenings of the house. Timely and important, Reul's book uses the picture book format to discuss the small things we can do when the bad news comes.

The images in the book clearly communicate the shared feelings in the house among the family members culminating in the realization that while bad news i
Richie Partington
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, ps
Richie’s Picks: THE BREAKING NEWS by Sarah Lynne Reul, Roaring Brook, April 2018, 48p., ISBN: 978-1-250-15356-2

“I read the news today, oh boy”
--Lennon & McCartney, “A Day in the Life” (1967)

“Suddenly Mom is glued to the television.
Dad can’t stop checking his phone.
They whisper and I pretend not to hear.
It is more than a little scary.”

For some reason, I often cannot tell you exactly where I was, or vividly recall the moments when the news has been really good. For instance, the day the then-gover
Amber Webb
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Breaking News by Sarah Lynne Reul was an excellent picture book for helping children process what is going on with adults when they get bad news (which happens all too often in this day and age). It reminds children that they have power in doing one small thing after another. The only way we can make change is to keep doing one small thing at a time. I think this will be an incredibly valuable book to have in classrooms and libraries around the world. Reul has appealed to a very broad audien ...more
Kelsey
Age: Kindergarten-2nd grade
Tough Issue: Tragic news that affects a community (most likely national news)

How does a child experience a tragedy? Unfamiliar with the deep sadness and worry that her parents are feeling, one little girl observes her surroundings with quiet concern. Inspired by her teacher's word to "look for the helpers," this girl wants to help in a big way. In an attempt to cheer them up, the girl puts on a comedy show, tries to offer words of protection, and tries to be on her bes
Kaitlin
A great way to talk to kids about the bad things that happen in their communities/the world and how they can handle the emotions those bad things bring about.
Cathy Mealey
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE BREAKING NEWS brings us a glimpse of a community struggling to cope with upsetting developments, and highlights the role that a girl fulfills to restore and heal them. The book opens with a family happily engaged in potting plants at the kitchen table. But a television in the background interrupts with unsettling news, distracting the parents and disrupting the normal rhythm of life. The little girl, round-eyed and tender-hearted, notices the changes all around her. She becomes determined to ...more
Jen Betton
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A hopeful book for hard times. When her parents are sad and distracted by the bad news, this little girl tries to find a way to help in a BIG way, but all her ideas seem to fall flat. So then she tries to help in small ways, and finds that she can make a difference after all.
This is a sweet story with a great message for kids who may be grappling with news or events that they don't understand, but see the effects of all around them. This story encourages kids that they don't have to feel powerl
Sandy Brehl
The earnest children in this serious story make recognizable attempts to "fix" problems too vast for anyone to solve. Depending on your age/life experience, the ominous news the family sees on television will translate to various moments in your personal history. This is a book for any child (anyone) confronting circumstances too away to imagine, but choosing to continue, one day at a time, one act of kindness at a time. I particularly enjoy potential for discussion as the book is closed:
"BREAK
Christy
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
This is an uplifting tale of a young girl's reaction to an unspecified bit of bad news that hits a community hard. She sees her parents' obvious distress, and wants to help. Her attempts to make things better don't succeed at first, but with persistence she hits upon a simple way to help her family and community start to heal. The first-person narration brings immediacy to the crisis and highlights the protagonist's emotional reactions. A very well done treatment of a difficult topic.
(I read a d
Dorothia Rohner
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A timely book about when bad things happen. The story opens with a happy family, but when the bad news hits, the parents are consumed with grief. The children feel isolated and lonely. They want everything to go back to normal. They try to make their parents laugh, use their imagination, be good, but nothing helps. Everyone is scared.
The ending is hopeful. It comes full circle, as the children find small things to do to cheer people up. A comforting book parents can read to their children when
Julie Kirchner
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‪Some days I find myself absorbed and overwhelmed by the news. This book is a great reminder how we can all benefit from taking a break and focusing on small positive changes we can make in our world with the people that surround us. This book inspires me to take actual action with my own family to do things that fill our hearts and souls during a time when the negative vibe that surrounds us is sapping our positivity and belief in goodness. This was a perfect read at a perfect time!
Erika
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, wndb, activism
This is like a sucker punch to the gut. It shows the real fear that so many have to live in due to such bigotry and hatred. You might not be talking to your kids about what's going on but they always know more than you'd ever think possible.
Lindsey
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a perfect book for this crazy world we live in. It will be able to foster so many types of conversations.
Beverly
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pbf-family
The bad news is not specified, leaving the story unsatisfactory. Was this supposed to be about the terrorist attacks in 2001? or something else?
Jessie Bond
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story with few words that helps young ones cope with the bad things that are on the news, although I think anyone, big or small, could benefit from it.
Erin H
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A perfect book to read during the COVID-19 era
A.B. Bergeron
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An unspecified news story spreads sadness like sickness through a family. How can the children find hope when their parents' despondency fills every spare inch of air? The Breaking News is a beautiful story, a beacon in the darkness that reminds us of the beauty revealed in everyday kindnesses.
Edward Sullivan
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In the face of terrible news that brings the adults in their lives down, resilient children find small acts of kindness have a big impact.
Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazingly timely book. Tragic events are constantly happening and making the news. How do we help children process these news stories? I am forever thankful to Sarah Lynne Reul for writing this book and I believe many parents and teachers will feel the same. It doesn't provide all the answers for what to do when tragedy strikes--what book could?--but it certainly gives children a starting point for conversation when the breaking news is tragic.
Deborah
Jun 17, 2018 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
A thoughtful and original book, one parents and teachers will find—unfortunately!—useful. I imagine this as a must-have for classrooms and libraries.
Rajani LaRocca
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written, gorgeously illustrated book about dealing with difficult/sad/scary news. What the actual "news" is is never specified, but we can all relate to what is implied. Kids will feel empowered and reassured by this gentle message in troubled times.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Pair with Come With Me (McGhee) and Most People (Leannah)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• What If...
  • The King of Kindergarten
  • Another
  • The Day You Begin
  • I'm Sad (I'm Bored, #2)
  • The Remember Balloons
  • Dreamers
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Saffron Ice Cream
  • We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga
  • Mixed: A Colorful Story
Sarah Lynne Reul is an author, illustrator and award-winning animator who likes science, tiny things and drawing on photos. Originally from Brooklyn, she now lives near Boston with her family.

After some years in science museum education, she was lured back to school by the magic of making drawings come to life. Armed with an MFA degree in 2D animation, Sarah Lynne now strives to pack the energy o