Start by marking “Saguaro: The Life & Adventures of Bobby Allen Bird” as Want to Read:
Saguaro: The Life & Adventures of Bobby Allen Bird

Saguaro: The Life & Adventures of Bobby Allen Bird

152 pages
Published 2006

To ask other readers questions about Saguaro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saguaro

Kevin
I've been a huge fan of Mell's weird videos for a while (check them out: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list... ) and have been wanting to read this for years. But it's pretty hard to find. If you're an eBook type, it was recently re-released that way by Electric Literature, and will save you about $100. http://electricliterature.com/product...
I'm baffled as to why this hasn't been reprinted by like Harper Perennial or Dalkey Archive or NYRB or whatever because it is so damn funny and sad and
Grace LaRosa
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Picked this up totally on a whim, and because the first two sentences made me grin something fierce:

“When I was a kid I was best friends with a baby. The upside to that kind of a situation is that the baby is always down to hang out, the downside being that you can’t take him anywhere but out in the yard.”

Suffice it to say the rest of it was weird, wonderful, and one of the nicest surprises I’ve had with a book in ages.
dan bakkedahl
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are few books I find worthy of reading more than once. This one requires a re-read every few months. The mishaps and successes, the failures and victories of Bobby Bird make me yearn for his specific brand of misery and ecstasy. Bobby Bird is every bit as influential as the plastic Forrest Gump and twice as twisted. Read, re-read and pass it on.
John Koblinsky
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best rock star autobiography out there
Justin Babare
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
absolutely fantastic
Kara
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved this. i loved it. well, i loved the writing. the story sort of wasn't much of a story, now that i think about it, but, man, can this dude write some weird, engrossing prose.
Michael Beeman
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison had a love child raised by Barry Hannah he would sound something like Bobby Bird, the life story of a washed-up rock star named Bobby Bird who embodies every rock and roll cliché.

The novel reads like the most depraved moments from VH1’s “Behind the Music” mashed into one musician (plus an adventure on a satanic cult cruise ship and a fist-fight with Bob Dylan).

Half-way through Bobby Bird warns that “This is a story I’m not too inclined to tell unless you are par
Magda
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Magda by: Bo
I called her up decades later when I was on the road and she said, "You know, you really hurt me when you left, Bobby. I don't even know why I'm talking to you." And I said, "You're talking to me because I'm famous." And she hung up on me.

Kingman started as a mining town and ended up nothing but a collection of strip malls, Chinese buffets, and barber shops. It's the ugly side of Arizona. May as well be Nevada.

And once again, I felt my life twist.

What are you going to do with some wiggling bands
Mandy
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, ebook, fiction
I enjoyed this book, but I don't understand why so many other reviewers are saying how much they laughed while reading it. I guess it had some funny moments, but I certainly didn't laugh through the whole thing. Humor is not a word I'd associate with this book. I don't know, maybe I took it too seriously. Or maybe it's a guy thing. Heckuva good book, though.
Jean Poole
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Watch Chonto first, or any of the narrated Bobby Bird videos first -to have the voice in your head while reading: https://www.youtube.com/user/carsonme...
Kilean
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
laughed hard and often.
Gail Hock
May 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Bobby Allen Bird is close to everyone's reality.
Brian
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Best Book Read it and laugh or have no sense of humor
Amanda
Oct 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a great novel. Bobby Allen Bird is a gruff heartbreaker. You can hear Carson Mell read an excerpt (in character too) here.
Monty
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very funny. Maybe gets award for most unpretentious book I have ever read. Tugs at the old heartstrings. "Fuck your black, fuck your leather."
Rick Homuth
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
fucking badass. best psuedo-memoir i've read potentially ever. absolutely couldn't put it down, and could've read 500 more pages after it ended
Steve