Start by marking “Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure” as Want to Read:
Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure

Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure

There were, and still are, great restaurants all over Europe, but the greater part of Blue Trout and Black Truffles is devoted to the eatingplaces and vineyards of France. It is a vicarious experience to read about the culinary wonders of the notable establishments of another era that have become the last epicurean haven in this materialistic, mechanized world of fastfood ...more
Published August 30th 2005 by Chicago Review Press (first published May 18th 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Trout and Black Truffles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Trout and Black Truffles

Tim O'Hearn
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was mentioned offhandedly in the book about the founding of Alinea, a world-renowned Chicago restaurant (that I still haven't been to). This has little in common with other "food writing" I've encountered. The seemingly-pretentious title gives way to a charming essay collection featuring culinary experiences from days long past. The author, Joseph Wechsberg, recounts his personal tragedies related to WWI and WWII. Thankfully, he had the presence of mind to capture many of the culturally-sig ...more
David
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The lost world of Hapsburg food culture. No other book is remotely like it. Utterly charming.
Young
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Young by: grace, who heard about it from some guy in a used bookstore
A snapshot of a privileged life in Europe before WWI. The descriptions of the meals, customs, restaurants and restauranteurs made me envious of a lifestyle that we were born too late to experience. I found myself reading snippets out loud to friends. Remniscent of A.J. Liebling's "Between Meals."
Mary Rank
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1953, this is the wining and dining adventures in Europe of a privileged young adult. I enjoyed it, but probably missed a good portion of it because of all the French descriptions of the food.
Sean
Jul 14, 2010 rated it liked it
A really charming, ancient book. A cute story, but in the end, a bit trifling. I abandoned it after 100 or so pages--I've got a ton of stuff to get through--but would consider going back to it--it shows promise.
Giovanna
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for books like these: food, another time and place (Czechoslovakia, Vienna...)...and Wechsberg has many. My favorites are his memoir/food books--but he also wrote many books about music, and one on banking.
Cathy Aquila
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Oh the joys of reading and eating, and reading about eating. Blue Trout and Black Truffles is a real foodie’s memoir of growing up in Europe in the first half of the Twentieth Century, and it traces his life events through his meals remembering the days of true haute cuisine in France.
Sharon
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Oh yum! Makes you want to go out and eat gourmet every day. My sis is a foodie and avid reader, so I took this off her shelf when she highly recommended it to me. Educational and fun.
Luke
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
A little history, a little traveling, some wispy insinuations from a bygone era, Central Europe, intrigue, what's not to love?
Paulo Sebastiao
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Enjoyable for the lovers of the classical cuisine.
Tallulah
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Perfect, just perfect. Entirely charming, an absolute pleasure to read. If a friend ever asks a recommendation of me on a beautiful morning it will be this. Just wonderful, I have no words.
Patrik Enander