Start by marking “Shadows of Valor” as Want to Read:
Shadows of Valor

Shadows of Valor

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
On the surface, Graywall is content and booming. Lord Shaufton, who presides over the city, is a fine ruler. The poor are well-cared for, the area is popular, and morale is high—but within Graywall’s roots, something dark is stirring. This darkness threatens to overpower the once-peaceful town, until a mysterious figure appears: The Shadow.

As much a figure of fear to the
Published March 14th 2017 by Amberjack Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of Valor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of Valor

Pouting Always
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elsbeth Rawley lives at Greywall with her Uncle Rupert, who is the lord, after her parents die in a fire. She works as a healer and midwife to the people of his realm and one day when out at night she runs into The Shadow. Though the Realm is doing well, unbeknownst to anyone there The Shadow has been sent by the king to look into the high levels of smuggling from the area. The Shadow hears of a plot to marry the Lord's daughter and kill him to take the land and so integrates himself into the co ...more
Natshane
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
Historical fiction was never my area of expertise, aside from binge watching on movies like The Young Victoria or A Knight’s Tale, I’ve never read many books with Kings and Knights. But my recent obsession with Outlander has strongly urged me to finally dive into the genre, and so, Shadows of Valor was my first official try to tap into the world of the classic tale.

And boy, was I incredibly blown away.

I loved the worldbuilding and the characters. The Shadow reminded me of Robin Hood on an espi
Kayla
*ARC obtained directly from Jolly Fish Press in exchange or an honest review*

So, first off, let me say that historical fiction isn't a genre that I pick up often. I ADORE Knights, dragons, castles, and the like but it's rare to find a novel that isn't...well... just like the others. Reading the synopsis for this one, I was immediately drawn in because it reminded me of Robin Hood in a sense. The hooded character doing good deeds and such, with fair maidens here and there. Except he works for t
Nina
I was gonna write a long review about what I didn't like but I'll just give you the short version: two dimensional, Medieval stereotypes, awkward writing (less adjectives, more commas, read dialogue out loud to see if it sounds believable!), lack of historical authenticity (my heavens the DIALOGUE. She tries to make it medieval-sounding but gives up about halfway through), heavy-handed morality, ending plot twists that you can predict in the first twenty pages of the book, dumb tropes like "flir ...more
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
Books like this that have such a captivating, hard to stop reading plot will turn me into a historical romance book reader! I am telling you this is one of the best stories I have read so far this year! There is so much mystery, suspense and of course romance that takes place in this wonderful stand alone novel.

Lady Elspeth lives with her uncle the Lord Shaufton as well as his wife and cousin. When she was young her parents were killed in a fire that scarred both of her arms. She was rescued by
Cathy Geha
Shadows of Valor by Elsie Park

Knights, secret masked and caped crusader, castles, fairs, jousts and competition for fair maidens can all be found in this novel. Elsbeth Rawley lives with her uncle Rupert and cousin Genna. At 23 she has little hope of marrying unless some man is willing to overlook the scars on her arms. She once had a crush on Sir Calan Beaumont but he disappeared and since moving to her uncle’s home she has become the village healer and midwife.

The Shadow is an elusive soul th
Aliyah (Jennifer)
* Disclaimer* I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

I think if I had finished this book, I would have definitely given it a 1 star rating. I attempted to continue reading multiple times and finally decided that life is too short for a book you don't enjoy.

After reading an array of young adult, new adult and adult novels, I can positively say that this may be the worst book I've picked up this year. Or even since the beginning of last year.

Though I'm very well aware tha
Abigail
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story takes place during the reign of King Edward I after he got back from the crusades. Edward was criticized for how he dealt with the Scots and how he threw out the Jews... but the thing that I like about this book, is the inclusion of smuggling, especially wool. It directly reflects the historical relevance when King Edward I negotiated agreements with the domestic merchant community that secured a permanent duty on wool 25 years before the book takes place.The importance, for me, of his ...more
Jennifer Thompson
When I first read the summary for SHADOWS OF VALOR, I knew it was a story that I would more than likely enjoy. Park’s narrative deals with Elsbeth Rawley, orphan and ward to her kind uncle, Lord Shaufton. Elsbeth lost her parents to a tragic fire, leaving her with scars, both literally and figuratively. She has done her best to deal with both for ten years since their deaths. During this time, her life has been one of relative contentment with her cousin Genna, five years younger than herself, a ...more
Erleen Alvarez
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Engrossing and mysterious, Shadows of Valor took me on a journey into a medieval era full of chivalrous knights, dark secrets, shocking conspiracy and swoony romance. Be ready to swoon when you meet The Shadow.

There are rumors spreading all around the country about a mysterious figure named The Shadow. Some say his an apparition and some even say his a magician but only one thing is for sure, he hunts criminals and enforce justice under King Edward's orders.

Now, The Shadow came into Graywall to
Diayll
Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Publisher
Reviewer: AimeeKay

Shadows of Valor is a sweet novel that tells the story of Elsbeth and Calan. Overall it is a clean, solid romance; I just had issues really connecting with it.

Let’s start out with what I did like about it…

I liked the characters. While I think that at times Elsbeth was a bit too innocent, I saw through one of the characters from the beginning, I did like her. I was rooting for her
Liesel Hill
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Shadows of Valor by Elsie Park is a books I've been anticipating for a long time. Elsie is a fellow JFP author who also writes medieval historical fiction, so how could I not look forward to her book?

Such a beautiful cover and a promising story. First of all, let me say that the copy I read was an uncorrected ARC, which made it a little hard to get into at first because there were some places where editing was needed. You all know how off-putting bad editing is to me, but I tried to put it aside
Fiona Titchenell
The Basics:

Sir Calan lives a double life, as a respected knight and the legendary Shadow, terror of all manner of criminals. In both capacities, he’s a servant of King Edward and of law and order, but The Shadow’s constant contact with the worst humanity has to offer threatens to tear him apart. When investigation of a smuggling operation demands that he court Lady Genevieve to keep an eye on her other suitors, he finds himself drawn to her cousin, Elsbeth, who may be able to bring him closer to
Lehua Parker
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jolly-fish-press
Shadows of Valor by Elsie Park is a step back into a medieval England where a noblewoman’s outward scars hide an inner beauty and fire as a dark knight walks a fine line between upholding the law, revenge, and becoming what he most despises. It’s a delicate dance between light and darkness, subterfuge and revelation, and a flirtation that never wavers past squeaky clean.

But you knew the maiden and the Shadow were going to have a thing for each other, right?

Lady Elsbeth is the good maiden, servin
Melanie Adkins
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Known as The Shadow, Sir Calan Beaumont came to Graywall to find smugglers. He had to be very careful no one knew his other identity. While watching for smugglers, Calan heard a conversation about a kidnapping. His first thought was the nobles daughter, Genevieve. Sir Calan knew he must protect her at all costs. After approaching the castle, he found out his childhood friend Elsbeth was living there as well. Elsbeth was a friendly person who helped serve the village and castle. She was content ...more
Shanda
Shadows of Valor is a story of ladies and knights, including one with a secret identity, in a tale of intrigue, valor, adventure, and seemingly unrequited love. Sometimes I’m in the mood for a light romantic read that isn’t heavy on historically accurate dialogue and doesn’t shy away from what some consider romance novel cliché. Shadows of Valor fit this mood for me, and I was pleasantly entertained reading about Elsbeth and her dealings with The Shadow and Sir Calan.

The pace of the story kept t
Kara-karina
Shadows of Valor is an overall enjoyable read. There are nice moments of medieval history, some lovely songs, clothes and a bit of a mystery of Robin Hood variety on the side. My major stumbling block were modern words that should have been edited from the original manuscript but went through the revisions.

I am not an expert on Middle Ages, but words like "wow", "absolutely", "fashion show" and many others looked pretty strange mixed with more traditional jargon of the era.

I understand the neces
Berk Washburn
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shadows of Valor is a tantalizing voyage of discovery, danger and romance.

Elsbeth needs to discover a man who can love and wed her in spite of the terrible scars on her arms from trying to save her parents from the fire that destroyed them and their ancestral castle. She still carries a flame for her girlhood crush Sir Calan. But when the King's mysterious champion, The Shadow, enters her life, she finds herself drawn to him.

Sir Calan discovers the child Elsbeth has grown into a woman he is much
Elizabeth Reid
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
I was not expecting such a terrific read from a first-time author. This book was full of romance, suspense, mystery, and historical knowledge.

I really liked that Beth had scars. Sometimes I get tired of all the super skinny, gorgeous heroines in books.

Not knowing what to expect from this book (ARC from Deseret News), I appreciated the fact that I could comfortably read this novel without worrying if one of my kids was looking over my shoulder.

Deseret News review: http://www.deseretnews.com/art
Kelly
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This debut novel by Elsie Park was a pleasant surprise. The storyline with Elsbeth, Sir Calan and the Shadow kept me intrigued. Even though I was able to figure out most of the characters and what they were doing/plotting, I still was captivated enough to read through to see how the tale ends.

I enjoyed the characters and their interaction and the Medieval Time Period was interesting. I would say this could be labeled as Young Adult since there were only kisses involved in the romance part. I ho
Teri Harman
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This historic romance is a total delight to read. The characters are instantly likable, the romance sweet and steamy, and the story interesting to the last word. Elsbeth and Calan have great depth, with the right balance of flaws, strengths, and growth; they are well matched. And I really loved their romance! SHADOWS OF VALOR is the perfect escape read – light, romantic, and enjoyable.

CONTENT NOTE: CLEAN! Another benefit of this book.
Sherrie Lynn
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. I loved the double life aspect added to the romance, and I was sucked in pretty deep. I almost wanted to pick it up and read it again all over right after finishing it. A fun, enjoyable read that kept me guessing, but still had enough clues that I was able to figure things out pretty well, but still had a surprise for me at the end.
Emily
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun historical/Christian romance-adventure (clean), and unlike some of these types of stories, there actually was some adventure going on (not just characters moping--they mope a little, but it's not overwhelming), so I liked that. It also had some good underlying messages. The historical voice and details were a bit iffy sometimes, but it was still entertaining.
Benjamin
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I don't usually read historical romance, I had a lot of fun reading this book. There's an awesome batman-like hero and some very tricky and despicable villains that make it so much more than a simple romance book.
Aycock
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Loved the romance. It was just enough, although at times I wanted to shake the heroine and tell her how much he loved her! The intrigue was great too. All around super entertaining and a lovely read!
Joy
Shadows of Valor by Elsie Park takes place in the 13th century. A time of Knights, Noblemen, Ladies, peasants, and merchants. A large tournament brings an assortment of characters to Graywall, including a Valiant Knight, disreputable smugglers and a vigilante, The Shadow.
Mindy Cook
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although predictable at times, I was surprized by one twist at the end. A charming plot that was refreshing. Calan and Elsbeth were believable characters and I hope to see them further developed in future books.
Jenny
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was a great medieval romance. the story caught my attention right away and I couldn't put it down! it was a fun read. God job Elsie Park!
Nikki
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book-- it is a quick read-- but one you will enjoy! This book is appropriate for youth! And they will learn important values of self-worth!! I would recommend this book to anyone!!
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Loving Lucianna (A Hearts in Autumn Romance, #1)
  • Someone Else's Skye (Men of Brahm Hill, Book One)
  • Dissension
  • Dead Winners
  • Reflection (Chrysalis, #2)
  • Courage (Mark of Nexus, #2)
  • The Arrival of Armando DeLeon (In Darkness We Must Abide, #3)
  • Luminaire (Florence Waverley, #2)
  • An Aria in Venice (A Musical Interlude, #1.5)
  • Highland Heart (Highland Hearts, #0.5)
  • The Royal Flush (Knights of the Darkness Chronicles, #3)
  • Innocence: A Forbidden Love Compilation (A Forbidden Love, #1-2)
  • Fairy Godmothers, Inc.
  • Time Out (Foolish Games, #2)
  • Feeling Death (The Death Trilogy #1)
  • Pitch Green (Dimensions in Death, #1)
  • By the Light of the Moon (Lakeside, #1)
  • Grave Bound (Secrets, #1)
I grew up in a small town outside Yosemite National Park, California, U.S.A. I enjoy soccer, piano, reading, writing, art and my family. Years ago I spent 18 months in Italy teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. Seeing the castles and old Roman cities enhanced my fascination for ancient and medieval culture. In college I studied zoology, botany and criminal justice. I've worked as a wildland firefi ...more
More about Elsie Park

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)