Start by marking “Slick” as Want to Read:
Slick

Slick

She teases and deceives. She writhes her way across the nation and beyond, seducing us all with her light and noise. Love her or hate her, you can’t escape her. She’s the American media–and nobody understands her better than Scott Singer.

A rising star in the world of public relations, Scott is a master at manipulating the news, especially when the news isn’t good for his c
Kindle Edition, 2nd ed, 465 pages
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Slick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slick

Marty Beaudet
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This humorous romp grabbed me before I was even done with the prologue. The witty, sardonic voice of the protagonist kept me laughing and wondering throughout his narration of a twisted tale of media manipulation. It was both believable and outrageous, and had all the trappings of a true-to-life exposé.

My only complaint is that at times it tried to be too true to life, not only juxtaposing the names of real celebrities and events among its fictional elements, but frequently going too far into th
DAREL HERBERT PATTERSON
Read this one based off the wonderfully written "Flight of the Silvers" by the same author. Let's just say based on his first two novels, Daniel Price has a long and bright future ahead of him... And at least one faithful reader! This was a great book!
Fraemone
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
daniel price is a GOD!! i loved this from start to finish.
Kia Kia
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't let the length of time it took me to read this book be any indication of how much I loved it! This was one of those books that I picked up just because I like the author, knowing very little of what the book was about. It only took a couple chapters for me to be completely hooked. I fell in love with Scott Singer and wasn't ready to let him go so I took my time with him, I meant, the book...took my time with the book :-)

I was not expecting this book to be so entertaining. Daniel Price did
Frenje
Sep 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the bits of random trivia about the whole PR business.
GREG J.
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
i got to know daniel price through his "silvers" series and went back to read his first book "slick" while waiting for the third book in the silvers to come out.
i wasn't sure what to expect, but what i got was a pleasant surprise.
"slick" is a very unique tale about a freelance publicist who will go to almost any lengths to serve his clients.
the book is touted as an expose of the underbelly of the great western media beast, but turns our to be an aggressive exploration of the complications of the
Stephen Infantino
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it for the first 300 pages or so but after that just wanted the author to wrap it up already. He himself poked fun at the length of the book, but could have just trimmed the fat instead. A leaner book would have gotten 5 stars.
Andrew Porter
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erin
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a friend of mine recommended this one to me. i opened it up and read the first few pages -- a pr agent's wild media stunt. within the first 2 pages i could see jeremy piven in the lead role of a movie based on this book... slick is the story of a 'slick' pr guy, who has the heart of gold.

price's style reminds me a bit of old noir mysteries. or maybe even david mamet. he uses tight, clipped phrasing, and scott, our pr guy, has a tough exterior bullets can't penetrate. i'll admit that the phrasing
Miles Palmer
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is very rare to find a book that is so readable and fun yet so intricate. Reading it is like opening a Chinese puzzle box with prizes inside. I can understand after reading this book and Price's other book, Flight of the Silvers, why there were several years in between. Writing a book like this and the Flight of the Silvers is a lot of work. In both cases here, the work is very well done and pays off for the reader like a well aged vintage wine.
Meotzi
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read and one that makes you think many times about how our opinion is manipulated by people who make it their business to ensure that we have the "right" opinion of their clients. I didn't like the main character but he was fascinating to watch in action. I'm not sure I liked any of the characters but they were all interesting people.
Matt
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this novel was going to be full of the dirty tricks of an amoral publicist--which would have been fun to read--but it developed into a pretty well done human drama. The main protagonist is a bit of a cipher and not always 100% sympathetic, but the book kept me interested throughout.

One nice feature was the slice of time presented. The book took me back to the early 2000s quite well.
Rolli
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
It's not just a smart, witty and entertaining novel. It also has depth, is insightful; the characters all really come to life and it also has a great balance between storyline and characters.
This book really rocks! The plot is both complicated and very simple - just great.
Betsy
Apr 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-read-in
Politics...PR...the music industry...news media...love and lust...all of these are melded into a car chase style race for integrity in Daniel Price's book. For a work of fiction, Price fits quite a lot of (non-preachy) discourse into this book. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
joshua toro
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I have to say I picked up based on the fact its cover design smacked me in the face, but it was earnestly fun. The main character's trip is ridiculous if not funny. Especially enjoyed the explanation of PR companies hiring other PR companies. This was a generally fun story.
Eendju
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: andere-cover, f-other
I'm writing this review six years after I read the book, so I don't remember many details. What I do remember is that I absolutely loved it! The ending was rather unpredictable too. It was so good that I should actually read it again.
Sam
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing
Katigie
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Skillful, skillful, skillful character development, plot, and fascinating premise. Ambiguity explored
David
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this after another book of his. Totally different genre, but awesome none the less. His writing is super compelling to me. Definitely enjoyed the story and how this went.
Leo
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good
Stefan
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to read it again. And again. And again...
Shawn Skaggs
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A page turner

An entertaining read that constantly has you wondering what will happen next. I liked the characters and enjoyed all the twists and turns the author threw out.
FittenTrim
A really fun page-turner about a decent guy who's job is sleezy... but I think the general idea in the story is the same type of plot that explains the whole Dan Rather-Bush National Gaurd memo.
Marjan Wynia
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilariois, whitty, must read when you work in the music industry or as a pr agent. I agree with Metro's review: " an intelligent piece of zeitgeist literature"
Frederick Bingham
Jan 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A novel about a guy in public relations. I could not get interested and put it down after 30 pages.
Doris
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Great book! Really interesting and hard to put down. Give it a try.
Anakin
Aug 03, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone going into marketing
The life a top marketing agent can be cold!
Samra Muslim
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never have I read such an interesting and well-written book about the world of spin (or media and PR as it is popularly known!!). Kudos to the author ... !
David Lynch
May 25, 2014
  • Eyewitness to a Genocide: The United Nations and Rwanda
  • Near + Far
  • Paradox: Am Abgrund der Ewigkeit
  • Seed of Evil: An Ancient Evil Rises (Saga of Evil, #1)
  • Freehold
  • Synchronic: 13 Tales of Time Travel
  • Subversives: The FBI's War on Student Radicals, and Reagan's Rise to Power
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • The Law & the Heart:
  • The Icon
  • Cloak of Darkness
  • Cheat and Charmer
  • The Straight Girl's Guide to Sleeping with Chicks
Daniel Price is the author of Slick and The Flight of the Silvers, the latter of which was nominated for a Goodreads Choice Award for Best Science Fiction Novel in 2014.

His latest novel, The Song of the Orphans, was published by Penguin Random House in July.

He lives in Gilbert, Arizona, with his fiancée Nancy (also a Goodreads author) and her three wonderful kids. You can learn more about him and
“By the time I left college, I realized I'd never be happy unless I undid a lifetime of conformist conditioning.

Thus, I reversed my directives. I shunned affirmation and craved contempt. I sought arguments from argumentative people. I encouraged judgement from judgmental people. I went out of my way to trigger all kinds of scorn from anyone who was willing to give it, and there was never a shortage of volunteers. It wasn't the easiest phase of my life. In fact, there were dozens of nights I cried myself to sleep. But like the most determined of body builders, I stuck to my regimen and eventually began to see results. Eventually, I became a human fortress, impervious to even the most subtle and penetrating forms of disdain. At long last, my mind became a peaceful, self-sufficient entity. Life got easier from there.”
2 likes