Start by marking “Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry” as Want to Read:
Mitten Strings for God: Reflections  for Mothers in a Hurry

Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry

As mothers today we are faced with a daunting list of responsibilities. How easy it is to simply rush headlong through our lives, slaves to our daily obligations, and in the process race our children through their childhood. But there is a better way... In Mitten Strings for God, Katrina Kenison shares her own search for a more satisfying balance in her life. The result is ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mitten Strings for God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mitten Strings for God

Melanie
Sep 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: moms
Recommended to Melanie by: Karen Barnes
This was a quick read for moms. (Don't let the title deter you - what the crap? Who names a book using the words "mitten strings???") My aunt recommended it when she saw I had read "I Am a Mother." This one was more of a reprimand to moms who don't spend enough time and energy being moms. But in a good way. It just makes you realize how much value there is in just being present in your kids' lives. This book was a little more of a how-to book than "I Am a Mother" was. Parts of it were a little w ...more
Megan
Oct 04, 2009 rated it did not like it
I must say that I really didn't like this book. I felt it was VERY self righteous and incredibley unrealistic. She acts like she prances after her children, playing a flute and showering them with flowers. She never mentions the fact that she works so they are likely in daycare, never mentions the laundry or the million other things to get done. She talks about all their activities and then says you shouldn't have them in too many activities. I felt it was hypocritical by omission. In our family ...more
Elsa K
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I don't agree with everything the author said or go to such extremes I found some real hints of wisdom here. I love the idea of slowing down life with our kids, not being overly involved in 'activities', finding joy in the simple and balance. All easier said than done! I also agree with limiting technology in our home so our kids can grow to be creative and at peace. I am a doer by nature and this book challenged me to slow down and enjoy life. I definitely recommend for mothers caught ...more
Mandy
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first heard of Katrina Kenison's book, Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry, I mentally brushed it off. With such a title, I expected the book to proselytize religious beliefs. When the book showed up in my mailbox from the publisher, I picked it up with apprehension, and found I was pleasantly surpirsed.

There are a handful of religious references in the book, but Kenison mentions them only in context to her life and never comes out and says anything definitive about
Emily (emjoy20)
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a relaxing, peaceful read. Excellent example to work constantly to prioritize and have our lives reflect what we want and believe in. I've heard some that thought that this book was too "idealistic" and I see what they mean. The author paints a very rosy picture of family life. But I loved that it gave a glimpse of how important the choices we make as mothers are for our kids and homes. Great mothering pick-me-up.
Alicia
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a mother of children the same age as Ms. Kenison's I was interested to see what she had to say. I was captivated. Ms. Kenison said so much that resonated with me concerning raising your children. Don't get me wrong this is not a parenting book so much as a gentle suggestion book. This is a bit like a gentle conversation filled with musings from a good friend over coffee. I highly reccommend this book to any parent witha spiritual bent.
Becky
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A dear, dear friend sent me a copy of this and I loved every beautifully written chapter. Such great reminders to slow down and enjoy every last minute with my kids while they are young. It also stresses how much my own attitude permeates the attitudes of those around me - if I am at peace, the house will be more peaceful. I'd recommend this to any busy mom out there. Five stars!
Sanz
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is outstanding. I read it in two nights and an early morning. I dog-eared so many pages and marked so many passages. It is easily my favorite parenting book. (Simplicity Parenting is now my second favorite.)

"Sometimes, it seems, there are discernible changes overnight. The boy who meets my gaze at the breakfast table is not the same one whose cheek I kissed the night before. And even as I marvel at the latest incarnation, I grieve for yesterday's child, already a memory. To love them
Jeslyn
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it - extends far beyond its subtitle (Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry), applicable to all of us who are trying to negotiate the speed, noise and demands of the modern world, trying to find peaceful time for ourselves, families and friends.

Really liked the essay format of the chapters, and that she never gets preachy - frequently comments that she's not always successful in her attempts to step out of the frenzy. Never a "THIS is the correct way to live" book - instead we get a "here's
Emily
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this and Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother at the same time and it was such a stark contrast! I read Tiger Mother in about 24 hours and this one took me a few weeks, which is appropriate because Mitten Strings is about taking time to enjoy the day, noticing the little things, appreciating the quiet, being still, meditating and appreciating. Tiger Mother is Go! Go! Go!
If you like Anne Morrow Lindbergh, or feel overscheduled, or could just use a reminder of the beauties of motherhood, I reco
Wendy
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I started reading as we were trying to choose our church Mom's group book for a book discussion (I am co-leader). While we didn't choose this one, I still wanted to finish reading it. This is a book about embracing our children while they are young because they grow up so fast. I enjoyed all of the topics author Katrina Kenison touched on and many points she made were points I can truly identify with.
Holly
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Four stars because I really appreciate ether ideas she presented and the values she embraces. The chapters are short so it is indeed a book that a busy mom can nibble at over time. I did find it redundant and unrealistic at times - and even a bit outdated at moments. But overall a great read - lots of good reminders.
Diane
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Although I'm not in 100% agreement with her logic w/no tv, we have scaled back dramatically and it has made a huge difference in the quality of our lives since computers, ipods, television in general tends to take over our lives. Highly recommend it, especially to busy, working mothers who want a reminder to slow down and cherish every moment.
Jen
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I am going to return this to the library and pick up a copy for myself. Just after reading the first few chapters, I knew it was a book I would want to come back to. It is one of those books to read every few months just to slow down your mind, bring your focus back to what is important and really get some warm-and-fuzzies about being a mommy and the blessings of having a family.
Juli
Dec 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I learned to slow down and not try to do everything that we can possibly do for our children. They do not need to be in every imaginable activity to have a good childhood. They also need time to slow down and take in the marvelous world around them. It's nice for them to have time to make their own discoveries instead of having everything fed to them.
Rose
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing how much I relate to this book. In this day and age I have taught my children to live simply and to entertain themselves with the arts. We really don't watch a lot of TV...we probably could live without it!
Brynn
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really made me reevaluate my life and what is important each day. It helped me to take a step back and contemplate what is really important in the day-to-day for my children. It was excellent--I highly recommend it.
Cheryl
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A lovely gem of a book. So much wisdom about choosing our priorities as a Mother. I learned so much, it spoke to my soul an answered actual prayers. It is about being an intentional parent an slowing down in this crazy life. Probably my favorite parenting book I've ever read
Jenn
Mar 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has the lamest title in the history of books, but I really enjoyed her thoughts on motherhood and slowing down so you can authentically enjoy it. She reminds you to find joy in the simple and mundane tasks that are a necessary part of motherhood.
Michelle
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book, I reference it a lot. Especially the pretzel recipe....
Kristen
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, parenting
I read this book, then reread it, then reread it. Katrina is a beautiful writer and much of her subject matter here resonated with me as the mother of two young children.
Gaynell
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love! Katrina Kenison understands the moments in mothering that matter. The moments in mothering that are pearls which we string on a string and store in our hearts.
Deyanne
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite of the Kennison books. Was sad when reading her last one. Things do fall apart...apparently.
Sarah Evans
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for any mother to glean great things to apply in ones life as a mother. Loved it!
Donna
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found at least half of this book irritating because I felt like the author came across as pretty judgmental about how kids should and shouldn't be raised. She made some sweeping generalizations that were sometimes ridiculous. But she redeemed herself in places and especially in the last few chapters with some truly insightful thoughts about motherhood and family that I appreciated. I was sufficiently pacified to give it three stars instead of the two I'd been planning on. :-)
Tina Wilson
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
While I appreciated the overall tone of the book there were times I found myself skimming to get through and thinking I've heard this already. A book that is better as a series of vignettes you pick up and read from time to time than as a straight through read that ends up feeling repetitive and occasionally a bit trite.
Kelley Blair
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book of short essays reflecting on the hectiness of life. It stresses stepping back and taking time to smell the roses. My children are grown but these same day to day reflections can still be part of how we choose to spend our time. Wish I would of read this when my kids were younger.
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved her 2nd book. Loved. Loved it so much I wrote the author a letter and bought two copies for friends. This book takes you backwards and when you have already gone forwards, it is hard to be backwards.
Melissa
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don't let the title put you off, this is not what I would call a religious book. She doesn't hit you over the head with a Bible. I read a chapter at a time and find it is a calming reminder to slow down and focus on the important stuff.
Heather C
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the peacefulness this book offered.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Motherhood Realized: An Inspiring Anthology for the Hardest Job You'll Ever Love
  • A Mother's Book of Secrets
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • Mrs. Sharp's Traditions: Reviving Victorian Family Celebrations of Comfort & Joy
  • Deliberate Motherhood: 12 Key Powers of Peace, Purpose, Order & Joy
  • Catastrophic Happiness: Finding Joy in Childhood's Messy Years
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • Seasons of a Mother's Heart
  • The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections
  • Christlike Parenting: Taking the Pain Out of Parenting
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • 5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges
  • So You Want to Raise a Boy?
  • Surprised by Motherhood: Everything I Never Expected about Being a Mom
  • Covenant Motherhood
  • A Quiet Heart
  • Endangered Minds: Why Children Don’t Think and What We Can Do About It
"I write to remind myself of how I want to live and who I want to be," says KATRINA KENISON, author of three beloved memoirs that, together, chart the seasons of a woman's life.
Her first book, MITTEN STRINGS FOR GOD: REFLECTIONS FOR MOTHERS IN A HURRY, now a classic for parents of young children, is a compelling invitation to do less and enjoy life more -- in a culture that urges "bigger, better
“we can learn to trust our maternal selves and to have faith in the innate goodness and purity of our children - even when we feel overwhelmed and the kids are pushing all our buttons. we can support one another....we can be understanding of each other and easier on ourselves.” 11 likes
“We are the windows through which our children first see the world. Let us be conscious of the view.” 10 likes