Start by marking “Death of a Cuckoo: An Esme Quentin Short Read” as Want to Read:
Death of a Cuckoo: An Esme Quentin Short Read

Death of a Cuckoo: An Esme Quentin Short Read

An Esme Quentin Short Read

A letter. A photograph. A devastating truth.

When Gina Vincent receives a letter of condolence from a stranger following her mother’s death, a photograph slipped inside reveals a disturbing truth – everything she’s ever known is based on a lie. Shocked and disorientated, she engages genealogy detective Esme Quentin to help search for answers.

The
Published March 6th 2017 by sBooks

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Cuckoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Cuckoo

Cathy
Mar 13, 2017 Cathy rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to reading another book featuring the genealogical sleuth, Esme Quentin, for ages. I enjoyed both of Wendy Percival's earlier novels, Blood-Tied and The Indelible Stain and although a shorter read, Death of a Cuckoo is well up to form.
Author Wendy Percival can tell a good tale and her personal knowledge and understanding of genealogical matters permeates her writing. I'm sure all Family History enthusiasts are amateur detectives and the author creates a very satisfying
Kath Middleton
Mar 13, 2017 Kath Middleton rated it it was amazing
This is described as an Esme Quentin Short Read and, having read two Esme novels, I jumped at this. Gina Vincent is clearing out her late mother’s home. She finds information in a letter of condolence which rocks her world, and Esme, a genealogical researcher, helps her to unpick the tangle.

Wendy Percival tells a good story and right to the end I wasn’t sure what the outcome was going to be. If you haven’t read any of these mysteries, this is a good introduction to her work, as it doesn’t depend
Nicola Smith
Apr 12, 2017 Nicola Smith rated it really liked it
I absolutely love genealogical fiction and so was very attracted to Death of a Cuckoo. It's an Esme Quentin book and I didn't realise until just before I started reading it that there have been two other books featuring Esme. It didn't in any way affect my reading of Death of a Cuckoo though, which I enjoyed very much.

What's unusual about this book is that although it's an Esme Quentin book it's actually told by a character called Gina Vincent who engages Esme to help her with a shocking discove
Teresa
Apr 10, 2017 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death of a Cuckoo: An Esme Quentin Short Read by Wendy Percival  This was a very interesting story. I have been working on my family tree for over 15 years. So I was very interested i the way this story was written. I feel like a investigator myself at times. I also wish I could afford to hire a professional Genealogist for some of my brick walls. The story was very well written and it was true to life while searching for records.

The Story is about Gina Vincent. Her mother has recently passed
Rachel
Apr 12, 2017 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This story is a short read but there is so much packed into this book and it never once felt rushed. The plot held my interest throughout as Gina and Esme put everything together to uncover the truth. Anyone who loves history will be guaranteed to enjoy this story especially if you are a fan of genealogy. I love the way that Wendy Percival has written this story with brilliant descriptions of how Esme goes about uncovering facts and details.

It really was the perfect way to spend a couple of hou
Melanie Robertson-King
Apr 08, 2017 Melanie Robertson-King rated it it was amazing
I found this book an easy read. I finished in one sitting. I loved Esme. She reminds me of a young Miss Marple, determined to get to the bottom of any mystery no matter how big or how small.

Wendy's writing is strong and her descriptive narrative of the old Victorian institution, I felt like I was there along with her characters.

I'll definitely be looking for more books by this author.
Rosemary Erskine
Rosemary Erskine rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2017
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2017
S Books
S Books rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2017
Anniek
Apr 19, 2017 Anniek rated it it was amazing
Gina returns to her family home after the death of her mother. She already lost her father and now that her mother is gone as well Gina is left all alone. She's an only child, which means she unfortunately has no other siblings to help her through these difficult times. When Gina is going through the mail she opens a letter that has been sent by a former friend of her mother. This letter holds the most devastating news, that makes Gina question everything about her past. Gina was adopted and is ...more
Teresa
Apr 10, 2017 Teresa rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting story. I have been working on my family tree for over 15 years. So I was very interested i the way this story was written. I feel like a investigator myself at times. I also wish I could afford to hire a professional Genealogist for some of my brick walls. The story was very well written and it was true to life while searching for records.

The Story is about Gina Vincent. Her mother has recently passed away. While going through the sympathy cards and letters she runs
Kathy Shuker
Kathy Shuker marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2017
Karen
Karen added it
Mar 06, 2017
Pam Baddeley
Pam Baddeley marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2017
Lexie Conyngham
Lexie Conyngham marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2017
Claire Tyler
Claire Tyler marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2017
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2017
J.B (Debbie)
J.B (Debbie) is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2017
Wendy Percival comes from the UK and lives in South West England.

The time honoured 'box of old documents in the attic' stirred her interest in Family History and it was while researching her Shropshire roots she got the idea for her novel Blood-Tied.

She continues to be intrigued by genealogy with its mysteries and 'skeletons in cupboards', and writes on the subject in her blog http://familyhistory
More about Wendy Percival...