Start by marking “Death of a Cuckoo: An Esme Quentin Short Read” as Want to Read:
Death of a Cuckoo: An Esme Quentin Short Read

Death of a Cuckoo: An Esme Quentin Short Read

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
An Esme Quentin Short Read

A letter. A photograph. A devastating truth.

When Gina Vincent receives a letter of condolence from a stranger following her mother’s death, a photograph slipped inside reveals a disturbing truth – everything she’s ever known is based on a lie. Shocked and disorientated, she engages genealogy detective Esme Quentin to help search for answers.

The
Published March 6th 2017 by sBooks

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Cuckoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Cuckoo

Cathy
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to reading another book featuring the genealogical sleuth, Esme Quentin, for ages. I enjoyed both of Wendy Percival's earlier novels, Blood-Tied and The Indelible Stain and although a shorter read, Death of a Cuckoo is well up to form.
Author Wendy Percival can tell a good tale and her personal knowledge and understanding of genealogical matters permeates her writing. I'm sure all Family History enthusiasts are amateur detectives and the author creates a very satisfying
Kath Middleton
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is described as an Esme Quentin Short Read and, having read two Esme novels, I jumped at this. Gina Vincent is clearing out her late mother’s home. She finds information in a letter of condolence which rocks her world, and Esme, a genealogical researcher, helps her to unpick the tangle.

Wendy Percival tells a good story and right to the end I wasn’t sure what the outcome was going to be. If you haven’t read any of these mysteries, this is a good introduction to her work, as it doesn’t depend
J.B (Debbie)
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's nothing that floats my boat quite as much as a good old fashioned mystery, particularly around family secrets. Death of a Cuckoo ticked all the boxes in terms of delivering exactly what I was after. A short read, more of a novella really, the book had me hooked from page one right to the very end. I've not read any of the previous Esme Quentin books before but my goodness she gives Ms Marple a run for her money. Eagle eyed, savvy and not afraid of taking risks, Esme endeavors to find ou ...more
Karen
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having read (and very much enjoyed) the previous two full length Esme Quentin stories Blood-Tied and The Indelible Stain, I just had to purchase this Esme short story. However, if you are new to this series, then this could quite easily be read as a standalone.

The main character in this story is not Esme, but Gina Vincent. Following the death of her mother, Gina has received some disturbing news which makes her question everything about her life and for her own piece of mind, she engages the hel
Cleo Bannister
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genealogy, own
Although I haven’t read the previous two full-length novels featuring Esme Quentin a genealogist, I was keen to find out more so decided to try this novella.

Following the death of her mother Gina Vincent, the photograph inside a condolence card reveals a secret that rocks her to the core. Gina calls on Esme to help her uncover the truth about her  family.

This is a good mystery both in the family history sense where the author’s knowledge of her subject shines through without the often laborious
Nicola Smith
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love genealogical fiction and so was very attracted to Death of a Cuckoo. It's an Esme Quentin book and I didn't realise until just before I started reading it that there have been two other books featuring Esme. It didn't in any way affect my reading of Death of a Cuckoo though, which I enjoyed very much.

What's unusual about this book is that although it's an Esme Quentin book it's actually told by a character called Gina Vincent who engages Esme to help her with a shocking discove
Teresa
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death of a Cuckoo: An Esme Quentin Short Read by Wendy Percival  This was a very interesting story. I have been working on my family tree for over 15 years. So I was very interested i the way this story was written. I feel like a investigator myself at times. I also wish I could afford to hire a professional Genealogist for some of my brick walls. The story was very well written and it was true to life while searching for records.

The Story is about Gina Vincent. Her mother has recently passed
Rachel
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story is a short read but there is so much packed into this book and it never once felt rushed. The plot held my interest throughout as Gina and Esme put everything together to uncover the truth. Anyone who loves history will be guaranteed to enjoy this story especially if you are a fan of genealogy. I love the way that Wendy Percival has written this story with brilliant descriptions of how Esme goes about uncovering facts and details.

It really was the perfect way to spend a couple of hou
Anniek
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gina returns to her family home after the death of her mother. She already lost her father and now that her mother is gone as well Gina is left all alone. She's an only child, which means she unfortunately has no other siblings to help her through these difficult times. When Gina is going through the mail she opens a letter that has been sent by a former friend of her mother. This letter holds the most devastating news, that makes Gina question everything about her past. Gina was adopted and is ...more
Lexie Conyngham
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable and substantial short story: I shall be looking for more Esme Quentin soon.
Melanie Robertson-King
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book an easy read. I finished in one sitting. I loved Esme. She reminds me of a young Miss Marple, determined to get to the bottom of any mystery no matter how big or how small.

Wendy's writing is strong and her descriptive narrative of the old Victorian institution, I felt like I was there along with her characters.

I'll definitely be looking for more books by this author.
susan morris
Feb 17, 2018
Helen Hollick
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:

"This is a pleasant, light, tale – short enough that it can be devoured on, say, a long journey by train or plane...enjoyable and well written...especially of interest to researchers into family history."

Helen Hollick
Cari
Apr 02, 2018
Teresa
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting story. I have been working on my family tree for over 15 years. So I was very interested i the way this story was written. I feel like a investigator myself at times. I also wish I could afford to hire a professional Genealogist for some of my brick walls. The story was very well written and it was true to life while searching for records.

The Story is about Gina Vincent. Her mother has recently passed away. While going through the sympathy cards and letters she runs
Sharon Wansbrough
Janet Brown
Dec 13, 2017
Lisa
Jun 18, 2018
Wendy Percival comes from the UK and lives in South West England.

The time honoured 'box of old documents in the attic' stirred her interest in Family History and it was while researching her Shropshire roots she got the idea for the first Esme Quentin mystery, BLOOD-TIED.

She continues to be intrigued by genealogy, its mysteries and 'skeletons in cupboards' and writes on the subject in her family h