Start by marking “The Fathers” as Want to Read:
The Fathers

The Fathers

Pope Benedict XVI carefully explains the stories of early Church fathers, their rich history, and the vital role each one played in not only preserving the Church at the time, but anchoring the Church of today as well as the future.
Published August 18th 2008 by Our Sunday Visitor (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Fathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fathers

Start your review of The Fathers
booklady
I've just finished this and already I am ready to begin it again ... except for the fact that now I have so many other excellent and learned men I want to read. Where to begin?

Pope Benedict's book is a fine introduction to the Church Fathers, but it is only that, an introduction. He barely scratches the surfaces of their writings, seeking rather to give the reader a brief and tantalizing glimpse into the life, times and thought of the many, rather than an in-depth perspective on the few.

Still a
Joshua Duffy
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: saints
My first reading of a Pope's writings, I was very impressed. This book is a very brief intro to some of the great Church Fathers. It definitely sparked a hunger for a deeper level of commitment to Christ.
Ron
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've read this book some time ago, but have read again in preparation for coursework at the seminary. What struck me most in reading about the Early Church Fathers is that most of their writings had some common themes: homilies against Arianism, the centrality of the Eucharist, the preeminence of the See of Peter, a focus on unity of doctrine, and a willingness to suffer for the proclamation of truth, even to the point of martyrdom.
James
A great overview of the early Church fathers, focusing on how each one of them contributed to the development of the Faith. I especially enjoyed the chapter on St. Augustine. Another winner from Pope Benedict XVI.

My only quibble is that the editors of the edition did a poor job with the citations and sometimes did not clearly state the referenced material but used indecipherable abbreviations. Sometimes I could figure out what the referenced material was later in a chapter because the Pope would
Patrick O'Hannigan
Nov 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I first read this in 2009, but it was more fun to re-read this year with friends in a men's prayer and bible study group. Each of the 26 chapters in this book introduces readers to a different father of the Church. Given the timeline involved (the book starts with Saint Clement, the third man to succeed the Apostle Peter as Bishop of Rome, and ends with Saint Augustine of Hippo, who died August 28, 430), it's safe to say that the patrimony discussed here, while unmistakably Roman Catholic, ...more
Sigurður
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 270
Á miðvikudögum flytja páfarnir venjulega ávarp fyrir almenning og tala á ítölsku. Benedikt hefur í þessum ræðum oft borið niður í lífi og kenningu kirkjufeðranna, sem snemma á öldum rituðu merkar bœkur um kristni. Hér hefur verið safnað saman í enskri þýðingu 36 slíkum ávörpum páfans. Svo að einhvers staðar sé borið niður, skal Origenes nefndur, sem er í hópi hinna umdeildari kirkjufeðra, þótt ekki sé á allra fœri að vita, í hverju kenningu hans var áfátt. Og það er ekki viðfangsefni páfans, ...more
Harry Dudley
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Even having studied the Father's of the church in the past - I found this to be a great review and overview that re-sparked my interest. One can see the rootedness of our Church teaching and the connection between our faith and life. This was very worthwhile read during this Year of Faith.
Quân Nguyễn
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
good
Ryan
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A book of vignettes concerning the Apostolic, Pre-Nicene, and Post-Nicene Fathers up to St. Augustine. Certainly worth reading, especially the section on Augustine.
Kevin de Ataíde
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
An affectionate overview of the early Fathers of the Church, from Clement of Rome to the divine Augustine. The easy-to-read, short essays provide an excellent introduction to the science of patristics.
Rev. Ritchie
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short but profound expositions of the lives and thought of the Fathers of the Church. Highly recommended, especially as a helpful but brief overview of the principal Church Fathers.
Bill B

• Tozer on the Holy Spirit: A 365-Day Devotional
  • As Bill Sees It
  • Bright Line Eating: The Science of Living Happy, Thin  Free
  • How the Swans Came to the Lake: A Narrative History of Buddhism in America
  • Danielle Walker's Against All Grain: Joyful, 25 Christmas and Holiday Gluten-free, Grain-free and Paleo Recipes
  • The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future
  • Land's End: A Walk in Provincetown
  • Best. State. Ever.: A Florida Man Defends His Homeland
  • Chasing Thoreau an Adventure in Paddling and Philosophy
  • How Much Can I Spend in Retirement?: A Guide to Investment-Based Retirement Income Strategies
  • Living Sober
  • Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma
  • Grow Younger, Live Longer: Ten Steps to Reverse Aging
Pope Benedict XVI (Latin: Benedictus PP. XVI; Italian: Benedetto XVI; German: Benedikt XVI.; born Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger on 16 April 1927) was the 265th Pope, by virtue of his office of Bishop of Rome, the Sovereign of the Vatican City State and the head of the Catholic Church. He was elected on 19 April 2005 in a papal conclave, celebrated his Papal Inauguration Mass on 24 April 2005, and ...more