Start by marking “In This Moment (The Baxter Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
In This Moment (The Baxter Family, #2)

In This Moment

(The Baxter Family #2)

Luke Baxter--a lawyer specializing in religious freedom cases--takes on the fight of his life when public high school principal Wendell Quinn is sued for starting an after-school Bible study called Raise the Bar. Wendell has already lost the love of his life because of the program, but still he refuses to end it. Thanks to the program, Hamilton High has seen a dramatic dec ...more
Published November 7th 2017 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about In This Moment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In This Moment

☘Tara Sheehan☘
Nov 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I’ll be up front, I’ve been a fan of Karen Kingsbury forever. My mom was reading her books for years then when I got older and wanted more than my Teen genre had to offer she began recommending Kingsbury. I fell in love. Her books give you a chance to relax and get away from the stress of the world while believing happily ever afters are possible and your faith can get you through anything.

This is the first time ever I felt like I had to force myself to finish and it was not an enjoyable experie
Anna
"In This Moment" is a timely book about a topic frequently in the news. Whether you are a person of faith or not, religious persecution is becoming prevalent in our society.
For Wendell Quinn, a principal at a high school riddled with problems, he decides to offer a voluntary Bible Study group after school called Raise the Bar in an effort to give his students an outlet and a chance to work towards success. When a parent whose daughter has benefited from the program in anger sues Wendell for vio
Melissa
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
At its core, Kingsbury's latest is an interesting story about the modern climate of religious freedom in the United States. However, one has to muddle through some factual inaccuracies and heavy-handed preaching of doom and gloom in order to find the key ideas. Although this is a part of the Baxter series, it easily stands alone because the Baxters are only peripheral characters, and the author makes sure to delineate the myriad family ties multiple times, to the point of it becoming tedious to ...more
Kathi
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I love her books, but this one comes across more like a lecture :(
Rissa
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this moment
Luke has been one of my favorite Baxters sonce the start so I was excited for this and it did not disappoint.

Wendell starts a bible club at his school and gets sued. He is the principal and needs to be professional and bringing God voluntarily into schools is a no no to nonbelievers. So when all seems lost the name Luke Baxter comes to mind and Luke is determined to help Wendell but this suit will be an uphill battle and one they possibly wont be able to win.
I adored this!
Judy Collins
Review to follow.
Kathleen
"The Constitution guarantees us freedom of religion. Which means the kids at Hamilton High have a choice to pursue the Christian faith...or not."

"You have to stand for something, or you will fall for anything."

I enjoyed listening to the audiobook IN THIS MOMENT authored by Karen Kingsbury and read by January LaVoy and Kirby Heyborne. It is the first book I have read in The BAXTER FAMILY Collection, but not the first one written. Apparently they are all standalone books.
Wendell Quinn, public hi
Joy
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review so...

I honestly loved this book.

"Those who stand for nothing will fall for everything."

I've fallen in love over the Baxter Family in the twenty-some books that I have read. This one was a great new edition addressing a controversial issue in today's society. How should one address God in public? Karen Kingsbury answers that question with a captivating story that fans are going to love.

I really liked this one and will be lookin
Enrique Alvarez
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the story. It took me back to my grammar school days. When I was in the third grade we had after class Bible study, we were lead to one of the volunteers home for 45 minutes we pray and talked about the bible stories. We were returned to the school and our parents would pick us up. I miss those days!!
Karen
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I have worked my way through the entire 20-something books in the Baxter series this year with anticipation of getting to this one. Only to be disappointed. The story felt forced and feature too little Baxter family. It seemed like such a let down after enjoying the early years of this series. *I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.*
Sarah Bailey
Bekah
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booksreadin2018
This was yet another fantastic book written by Karen Kingsbury. This book definitely did not disappoint.

What I Liked: This author's characters are always so well developed. I love every single one that I'm supposed to like and I always love the message of redemption that seems to underlie all of her books regardless of what the main message is in the story.

Okay, one my favorite parts of the story was from Reagan's, (Luke's wife) point of view. Her POV wasn't the biggest part of the story by any
Angela
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here’s some Christian fiction that really made me think. Quinn is a public school principal, and he is questioned over and over when he decides to host a voluntary Bible study after school in order to provide some structure and direction to his students. His reputation is at stake, his relationships are threatened, and his job is on the line.

I liked the law aspect that made this book a kind of cross between John Grisham and women’s Christian fiction. I also liked the juxtaposition of the differe
Pamela
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
How far would you go to protect your religious rights and the rights of others? Wendell Quinn is a high school principal in a high school where gang violence, low test scores and teen pregnancy are rampant. He does his research over one summer break and decides to start a voluntary after-school club/program for Bible study. Within a year, statistics show that improvement is being made one student at a time. Until….the father of one student notifies the press and files a lawsuit. Wendell is defen ...more
Audrey
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hamilton High was at an all time low. Suicide, drugs, gangs, and teenage pregnancy was continuing to grow. Principal Wendell Quinn was desperate to change his student's lives. He formed a voluntary after school club which he named Raising the Bar. There he introduced his students to God, prayer, and the Bible. Within a year the school made miraculous changes for the better. However, one irate parent was furious and decided to sue Quinn. Wendell hired Luke Baxter, a religious freedom fighter, as ...more
Cathy
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been a KK fan ever since I read the first Baxter books 17 years ago. I read the mixed reviews about this book and was concerned if I would enjoy it...I Did! It is more a book about religious freedom than a romance...very thought provoking for me. I loved seeing Luke Baxter as a freedom fighter attorney. The Baxters are not the central characters in this book, they are more support roles. I loved Wendell (H) and loved the diversity KK brought to this book by making the MC African American. ...more
Ruby
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fabulous book with themes from racism, religious freedom, and faithfulness of God. I challenge any Christian to read this book, especially those teachers in public school. It was one of best Church vs. State books I have read. If you enjoyed the new God's not Dead 2, this should be your next read.
Stephanie Dulac
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another wonderful book written by Karen Kingsbury i seen a lot of mixed reviews and people who didnt like it but i have to tell you readers this book didn't disappoint me. i feel she talks about a few things that are a little more personal and maybe thats why people have issues with this book but i loved it its a must read so glad i did :)
Joyce
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story about religion in school and how people react to it. The principal
Of Hamilton High is sued because he started an after school Bible study
called Raise the Bar. In one year the school made great strides in all
records to Improve. Luke Baxter takes the case against Wendell Quinn and
together they fight to show people what faith can do in today’s culture.
This book is well written and contains a lot of Christian principles with hope
and faith as its center. You will love the characters and the
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the characters--both Wendell Quinn and catching up with the Baxters. I've worked in education 16 years, so I found several things unrealistic, but overall, it was a quick read on an interesting topic.

I received this book in exchange for my review. My thoughts are my own.
Randy Tramp
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hamilton High School Principal Wendell Quinn starts a Bible Study and sees great results. Then he's hit with a lawsuit.

A national storm rage. Battle or shut down the program?

Luke Baxter, a lawyer, joins the fight.

I love anything to do with the Baxters. Add Wendell Quinn and this makes a great story. I was glued to the book from the beginning to the end. It gave me hope for this nation. Points were raised. The defense was given, nothing less than genius.

Five-stars.
Amy
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
In This Moment (Baxter Family #2) is a beautiful, inspiring story. Liked it a lot!
Bryce Evans
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

I loved this book. I cried through parts of it. Well worth it and plan to read more of her books. Great Read!
Dana
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a quick and easy book to read, although not my favorite Baxter story. I can see that it is relevant in current times. The writing wasn't quite what I expected as I found a couple of inconsistencies and also too much repetition with the story of Wendell and Alicia and her past relationship with Jack.
Jaime
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult
I am not at all impressed with this book. It should have been advertised as a stand-alone book, NOT a Baxter Family book, as advertised. Luke Baxter and his family are minor characters at best.

If you're looking for a Baxter Family book, skip it. If you're looking for a Kingsbury book, still skip it. I understand what message Kingsbury is trying to send, but it comes across as too preachy and caused me to roll my eyes multiple times.

I'm extremely disappointed.

Janet
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it

Always enjoy catching up with my Baxter family.
Jilleebean
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Baxter name on the cover grabbed me, but the book is more about Wendell Quinn and his school than about the Baxters. My husband and I are both public school teachers, so there were some things about education that I found highly unbelievable, especially the fact that a high school principal would be dating a teacher in his school. I’ve known several couples who met as teachers at school, dated, then got married, but a principal dating one of his teachers???? Major conflict of interest, consi ...more
Candi Hadley
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
**2.5 stars**

It kind of hurts my heart to rate a Karen Kingsbury book at 2.5 stars. I've been reading her stuff, both the stories about the Baxters and her other stories, for a long time, and have loved many of them. However, this book really wasn't about the Baxter Family. Sure, they were there. Luke Baxter might have been in about 20% of the book, but that doesn't make it a "Baxter Family" book and I'm not sure why it's titled that way.

This book focused on religious freedom in America. But the
Chris
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: ppld new
Shelves: karen-kingsbury
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

Wendell Quinn is a high school principal where the kids are in gangs, high pregnancy rates, low grades, drug use, among other things. He was hired to make the school a better place. He tried what he could but nothing worked so he decided to start a program called "Raise the Bar." It is a voluntary after school B
Kristine Morgan
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love series, the longer the better. Karen Kingsbury has created a saga wither her Baxter Family books. In This Moment is another installment in the Baxter families lives. I enjoyed getting the updates on all of the family members and it was enjoyable to spend time with Luke Baxter. He is an attorney who has left entertainment law to practice Religous Freedom Law.
In This Moment follows Luke as he defends Principal Wendall Quin's right to hold a voluntary after-school Bible study. Despite the fa
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• A Breath of Hope (Under Northern Skies, #2)
  • Beloved Hope (Heart of the Frontier, #2)
  • Faithful
  • Catching Heat (Cold Case Justice, #3)
  • Jessie (Big Sky Dreams, #3)
  • The Hawaiian Quilt
  • Saving Grace (New Heights #2)
  • Sunrise Cabin
  • The Atheist and the Parrotfish
  • The Christmas Angel Project
  • The Desire (The Restoration Series, #3)
  • The Melody of the Soul (Music of Hope #1)
  • When a Heart Stops (Deadly Reunions, #2)
  • Secretly Smitten (Smitten, #2)
Karen Kingsbury, #1 New York Times bestselling novelist, is America’s favorite inspirational storyteller, with more than twenty-five million copies of her award-winning books in print. Her last dozen titles have topped bestseller lists and many of her novels are under development with Hallmark Films and as major motion pictures. Her Baxter Family books are being developed into a TV series slated f ...more

The Baxter Family (5 books)
  • Love Story (The Baxter Family, #1)
  • To the Moon and Back (The Baxter Family, #3)
  • When We Were Young (The Baxter Family, #4)
  • Two Weeks (The Baxter Family, #5)