Start by marking “Little Broken Things” as Want to Read:
Little Broken Things

Little Broken Things

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  3,665 Ratings  ·  561 Reviews

An engrossing and suspenseful novel for fans of Liane Moriarty and Amy Hatvany about an affluent suburban family whose carefully constructed facade starts to come apart with the unexpected arrival of an endangered young girl.

I have something for you. When Quinn Cruz receives that cryptic text message from her older sister Nora, she doesn’t think much of it. They haven’t se
Published November 21st 2017 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Little Broken Things, please sign up.
Patricia Holovack Spoiler Alert: the child Everlee, was the daughter of Nora's friend Tiffany and Noras father Jack Sr.
Nevada Sexual misconduct and drug use is discussed is distant, impersonal terms. Language doesn't really bother me, so I don't notice it that much, but I…moreSexual misconduct and drug use is discussed is distant, impersonal terms. Language doesn't really bother me, so I don't notice it that much, but I think the strongest it got was "damn", there was also some "slut" shaming in a memory, lasted less than a page.(less)

Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Nicole
Shelves: from-publisher
Little Broken Things is indeed the next desirable novel for fans of Liane Moriarty and Amy Hatvany; I could spot so many similarities in their writing styles and, while Baart is a new to me author, I felt like I had come home to a familiar story all the same. Little Broken Things is a story filled with emotion, tension, and domestic drama. The book itself had some dark secrets spilled into the narrative and did manage to maintain an overall heavy feel, but I would still characterize this as a li ...more
Carol
"I have something for you."

LITTLE BROKEN THINGS is a perfect title for this novel revolving around a family in need of repair....honesty and understanding.

It begins with a desperate and mysterious request from one estranged sister to another to keep a haunted little one safe....and hidden....from both family and the worst kind of evil on the prowl.

It's the story of one mother's powerful love and sacrifice for a daughter in distress, and another mother's mission to reunite with her own daughters.

Holly  B
4.5 Stars

I have a new favorite author to adore! I was immediately drawn into the story from the first pages. It is beautifully written and captivating, I was engaged by the mysterious texts from the start!

I could imagine myself getting a text from my sister, "I have something for you" and immediate panic strikes! This is possibly not good! The story and characters are multi-layered and ultimately reveal their inner motivations that drive them to make decisions they will later question. I really
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
3 stars.

This was a story about a mother’s love and sacrifice for her child and a family coming together after years of separation. At times, the book had my heart pounding, my worry intensifying, my stomach churning and my hope growing. There were some wild twists and turns that caught me completely off guard.

I liked the main characters Quinn and Everlee. The remaining characters I had more of a hard time connecting with. Some ended up growing on me, while others began to irritate me and a few
Zoeytron
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

The title of this book is spot-on for a family that has grown apart for various and sundry reasons. A mysterious text from one sister to another will set things in motion for a reunion that may prove to hold some answers and possibly repair damage done.

This was a little on the tepid side for me. A mite too predictable, and an ending too pat. On the upside, I liked the notion of how guilt acts as a scavenger, seeping in and feeding on scrap
Diane S ☔
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 I am not going to rehash the plot, and I really wish I could have liked this more. It was very slow moving and very predictable. The last third of the book held the most interesting for me, but I also found it unbelievable. Nora and Tiffany, their story just didn't hold together. Nora and Quinn's mother was a piece of work, lived in her own la la Land. Everlee though, the little girl I adored.

Another sisters read that had us a opposite ends of the spectrum. Also my review doesn't reflect th
Norma * Traveling Sister
3.5 stars rounded up!

LITTLE BROKEN THINGS by NICOLE BAART was an engaging, suspenseful, and a slower paced mystery novel which had an intriguing storyline revolving around family secrets and the sacrifices and bond between mothers and daughters.  Little Broken Things I thought was the perfect title for this novel which is filled with familial broken relationships and the sacrifices of a mother’s love for her family.  With a little honesty, hope, and understanding maybe all the little broken thin
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Traveling Sisters NetGalley Group Review by Brenda with Norma, Lindsay, Holly, Susanne, Jan and Holly

I read Little Broken Things along with six of my Traveling Sisters and it left us in different coulees once again. We were mostly split into two different ones, some sisters were lost in the lush coulee and enjoying this one and others were lost in the dry coulee and finding themselves bored and napping leaving them uninterested in this one.

Little Broken Things starts off suspenseful and
Taryn
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
After over a year of avoiding her family, Nora sends her younger sister Quinn a cryptic text: "I have something for you." Quinn is eager to see Nora after all this time, but she's surprised when Nora shows up to their meeting with a six-year-old girl. No explanations, no timeline—just a plea to keep the girl safe and hidden for a few days. Nora flees before Quinn has the chance to refuse. What has Nora dragged Quinn into?

Sometimes the surface is not an accurate indicator of what lies beneath.
Susanne Strong
2.25 Stars* (rounded down)

Quinn gets summoned by her sister Nora via text: “I have something for you.” Never in Quinn’s wildest dreams does she imagine that the summons involves a little girl. Or that Nora needs Quinn to hide her and keep her safe – without any explanation. It is clear that something sinister is going on, yet Quinn has no idea what. And then Nora takes off leaving her with a little girl she calls “Lucy.” Hiding “Lucy” however, proves quite difficult.

Nora is clearly in danger. T
JanB
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 stars, definitely not a 3, but since half stars aren't possible, I'll round up

The premise is intriguing: Quinn's estranged sister, Nora, drops off a little girl named Lucy, who bears an uncanny family resemblance, and tells Quinn to keep the little girl's presence a secret. Nora then disappears without explanation.

Secrets tend to be revealed sooner or later, and this one is no exception. Just how does one hide a little girl? There are mysteries to be solved: who are her parents? Why is she
Amy
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

Have you seen the buzz surrounding this gem of a book? I sure have, especially on Instagram and I haven’t missed the comparisons to Liane Moriarty and as much as I usually hate when books are touted as the next (insert name of huge, best selling book) I can definitely see why the comparison is being used. Fans of books in Moriarty’s vein will adore this one, I can see it being picked as a book club read very easily!

This is told using various points of view, you have Liz mother to Nora and Q
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
There is a GIVEAWAY for this book at Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine!

I was quickly drawn in by the first few chapters. After all, it’s not every day that a sister alters the appearance of a child, assigns her a new name, and drops her off at her semi-estranged sister’s house with no explanation. But that’s exactly what Nora has done to Quinn. It’s up to Quinn determine who this young girl is and, more importantly, why Nora has gone to such lengths to disguise her and hide her away. It’s easy to be captivated
Theresa Alan
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LITTLE BROKEN THINGS is a novel about family secrets. The mystery begins when Nora, who is estranged from her sister, Quinn, drops off a little girl, only saying that Quinn can’t tell anyone that the girl is in her care, including her husband. Nora disappears just as quickly as she briefly came back into Quinn’s life, not explaining what her sister should do with this little girl and why all the secrecy.

The writing is beautiful. Told from multiple points of view—Quinn, Nora, their mother, Liz, a
Heather Gudenkauf
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully layered...gives readers everything they could possible want in a novel - vivid, engaging characters, a town filled with dark secrets, a mind-twisting mystery and the ferocious power of a mother's love. Original and gripping, Little Broken Things is a stunner that will linger with you long after the final page is turned."
Lori
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking what the world can place on the shoulders of children. I appreciate the circumstances that lead Baart to write this... however, I felt a bit more disconnected that I would’ve liked and the ending fell a bit flat. All-in-all, just ok for me... 3.5 stars.
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
Wow this book was fantastic! I was at the edge of my seat with this one and was turning pages all through the night! I really enjoyed this author’s writing and multi-layered characters. This was a book that can show you how quick family secrets and deceit can spiral down into chaos! I give this book 5 out of 5 stars and would definitely recommend checking this book out.
Erin
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle

Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced ebook in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

The writing was fine. Unfortunately, I just wasn't wowed by this story. Was it a thriller? A family drama? A romantic dramedy?

Movin on!
Judy Collins
A compelling multi-layered story of family, LITTLE BROKEN THINGS by talented Nichole Baart —a beautifully written story of secrets of the past, motherhood, and sacrifices. Those desperately trying to protect those secrets.

Triumph over tragedy. Loss, hope, and forgiveness.

Set in Minnesota the Sanford family. Two estranged sisters, Quinn and Nora. They have never been close and Quinn is shocked when she receives a cryptic text message from her older sister Nora.

Nora shows up with a six-year-o
Sue
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I predict that this book will be one of THE books to read this winter. Thanks to the author for giving me a chance to read an early copy to read and enjoy early. I have read other books by Nicole Baart but in Little Broken Things, she is absolutely at the top of her game - it's a wonderful story about family and love and the secrets that we keep to protect our family, even when those secrets cause more harm than intended.

This novel is told by three women Quinn, who lives near her mother, with he
Marisa
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow I need to take a moment to formulate the words in regard to this heartbreaking beautiful novel.

LITTLE BROKEN THINGS is a thriller based around a shattered family that is filled with secrets. At the heart of the family is estranged sisters and a little girl who is with one sister and left in the care of another. Who is Lucy? Is that her real name? And what is she being hidden from?

I loved this story. It was layered and intense. Every page held a different mystery and the unraveling makes my
Reading.Between.Wines
⭐⭐⭐💫 / 5 - rounded up to 4 for Goodreads.

My reviews and (maybe) some other random thoughts can also be seen at

____________________________________________________________

This was my very first novel by Baart, and once again, I have very mixed feelings (go figure).

I should mention that I basically read this in 2 sittings, and I stayed up until 2 AM to finish it because I couldn't put it down. That's part of the reason why I couldn't give it less than a 3
Susan Peterson
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm so full of emotions right now, having just finished reading Little Broken Things by Nicole Lynn Baart...my feelings are a jumble, just like they were for the characters who live in this book. Such a mixture of joy and sadness, hope and doubt. This book is mesmerizing and suspenseful; my heart was in my throat while reading, compelling me to keep turning pages. At the heart of this story is a family; a family which has been torn apart and scattered for a myriad of reasons; when a forlorn litt ...more
Sonja Yoerg
Estranged families make for rich stories; no matter how much we might yearn to be free of our relatives, an undeniable attachment remains. Little Broken Things is a tension-filled story in which family secrets, mistrust, and allegiances threatening to swallow up the loyalty and love that has somehow survived. Baart is a thoughtful, sensitive writer who creates a realistic and complex dilemma surrounding a child in jeopardy. At several points in the novel, it would've been easy to veer into melod ...more
Ronak Gajjar
I was compelled by this appealing mystery, read it out of literal cover-lust. Being flipped with mixed feelings by salient features of characters and POVs my liking graph nearly flickered variations very five pages.
Feels:
description
description
Depth Points :
It moderately lives up to expectations painting the vivid family colors capturing the whole picture. The struggle of motherly love ending up in devastated decisions hits mind with how, when, why, what? Family bonding easily perforates when it is based on Secrets, b
Kim Kaso
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars. My first book by this author, and it was enjoyable enough, but it was no Big Little Lies, a book which sticks with me more than a year after reading it. BLL grabbed me, impressed me, made me laugh, cry, care...the book much more than the excellent series. The book made the men more fully realized characters than the series, and that made all the relationships deeper and more compelling. It was a book that spoke to me and my husband, as friends, lovers, parents, partner ...more
K~Terror
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, audible
I know this book won't be for everyone but I enjoyed the author's writing style and was intrigued getting to know each of the characters. There was so much beauty that came from these pages that it somehow over-shadowed the ugliness. This is one of those stories that will stay with me.
Jamie Rosenblit
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
10/31/17: It’s 4:30 AM and I need to be up in an hour for work, yet I had to finish this. That’s how great this was.

More to come when I’m a functioning human again!

11/14/17: It’s been two weeks since I finished this book and it has stuck with me, a rare feat given the volume of the books I read. Told from the alternating perspectives of sisters Nora and Quinn, and their mother. I tend to most enjoy books written in this format and this was no different! I had theories from early on, some true,
Christa Allan
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This.book.

I've been a Nicole Baart fan for years, and she has upped her game in LITTLE BROKEN THINGS. Her best. She grips the reader page by page, always turning up the tension, raising the stakes for every character.

The family dynamics of mothers and daughters, that push and pull of affection, the weight of relationships, are relatable. Marriages that appear strong and ripe with affection can be damaged in ways no one would suspect. And the secrets we keep in trying to protect those we love of
Nicole
Jun 19, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
"If you liked BIG LITTLE LIES, you’ll want to crack open this new novel by Nicole Baart.”
Southern Living

“The mesmerizing story line is rife with mystery… an accomplished exploration of the fragile bonds of a family as they attempt to overcome obstacles they never saw coming.”
Publishers Weekly

“Part psychological thriller, part women’s fiction, Baart’s latest novel is wholly compelling… The intricacies of family relationships, love and friendship are all skillfully explored, layered in all the rig
little broken things 1 16 Oct 27, 2017 03:38PM
Nicole Baart is the mother of five children from four different countries. The cofounder of a non-profit organization, One Body One Hope, she lives in a small town in Iowa. She is the author of nine novels, including LITTLE BROKEN THINGS and the upcoming YOU WERE ALWAYS MINE (10/16/18). Nicole is a proud Tall Poppy Writer and a firm believer that we are, and always will be, better together. Find o ...more
“lakeside bike trail merged with the quaint” 0 likes