Start by marking “Roomies” as Want to Read:
Roomies

Roomies

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  26,189 ratings  ·  3,745 reviews
From subway to Broadway to happily ever after. Modern love in all its thrill, hilarity, and uncertainty has never been so compulsively readable as in New York Times bestselling author Christina Lauren’s romantic novel.

Marriages of convenience are so...inconvenient.

For months Holland Bakker has invented excuses to descend into the subway station near her apartment, draw
Published December 5th 2017 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Roomies, please sign up.
Hunida While it's not the main focus in Natalie Tan's Book of Luck & Fortune by Roselle Lim, there are beautiful descriptions of music in there! It did…moreWhile it's not the main focus in Natalie Tan's Book of Luck & Fortune by Roselle Lim, there are beautiful descriptions of music in there! It did remind me of how Holland talked about it in Roomies. :) (less)

·  26,189 ratings  ·  3,745 reviews

Start your review of Roomies
Melissa
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, romance
A love-drunk heart, from what is sure to be an infamous guide on how not to date—told by Christina Lauren's quirkiest literary couple yet (ahem, Josh and Hazel)—spurred my instantaneous reach for Roomies. Eager to stoke those gushy, giggly, infatuated-girl feelings.

I think it’s important to acknowledge—no two meet cutes are ever the same—each relationship has its own distinct opening and underlying beat, much like a piece of music. For some couples, it begins in college with a proposition and a ruined pair of shoes
Cristina | CristiinaReads
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-books, favorites
➳The idea of marriage for the aspect of immigration purposes, has never sounded so enticing in this new compelling romance from Christina Lauren…

➳When being granted the presence of an Irish hottie, with the admiration and talent of music, and the love for keeping his lips smooth and soft by applying lip balm every five minutes, one must learn to admire such a specimen. I sure have, thanks to Christina and Lauren and their welcoming presence of Calvin McLoughlin. An attractive musician, who is at firs
Christy
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars!

description

Christina Lauren always writes the best feel good romances. Roomies had me laughing, swooning, and kept a huge smile on my face the entire time I was reading!!!

Holland meets Calvin at the subway station. She is captivated by his music the first time she hears him play. It turns into a bit of an obsession for her. Holland goes out of her way to listen to Calvin’s mus
Melanie
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it

ARC provided by Simon & Schuster in exchange for an honest review.

This was maybe the sweetest book I’ve read all year. It was heartwarming, adorable, and just a joy to read. I loved this and I hope if you guys are looking for a romantic contemporary this holiday season, you’ll pick up Roomies upon release on December 5th!

This is a story that surrounds a girl named Holland, who has been around music all her life. Her uncle and his husband practically have raised her, and one of them is a big name in Broadway!
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****FIVE++++++++ STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Authors}

I've had the thought almost without realizing it--the encroaching awareness that I feel settled but in truth can’t see my future at all. I have a temporary job, a temporary marriage. Will anything ever be permanent? What the hell am I going to do with my life? I only get one shot at this, and right now, I’m finding my value only in being valuable to others. How do I find value for me?

*****FIVE++++++++ STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Authors}

I just spent an entire day getting lost in this amazing book! ROOMIES deserves all of the stars for a rating. The plot, characters, and even the vibrant description of the music made this story simply sublime! I never wanted it to end. I fell in love instantly with Holland and Calvin and their slow-burning romance had my heart pounding with anticipation, but never did I feel that there was a lull in the progression of their story. It’s so hard to find a book that has the perfect pace to keep me fascinated from beginning to end, but this one knocked me off of my feet! It’s definitely going on my ”BEST OF 2017” list.

Holland Bakker lives in a small apartment in New York City that her uncles help pay the rent on. She works for her uncle Robert whose musical is a huge hit on Broadway. Holland’s life is in limbo. She’s not pursuing her dream of becoming a writer. It seems as though she’s stuck in a rut and doesn’t know how to move forward. There’s one thing in her life that brings her joy and excitement—a handsome and gifted guitarist whom she sees several times a week playing outside her train station. For six months she’s been crushing on the guy but never has gotten the nerve up to talk to him, then everything changes when she is nearly mugged and pushed on to the train tracks by a homeless man, and her crush comes to her rescue.

When she wakes up in the hospital Holland is a little surprised when the police and hospital staff assumed she was suicidal. She learns that sexy guitar man never reported to the police what actually went down on the subway platform. A couple of nights later, her friend drags her to a dive bar to see a local band play and is floored when she sees a familiar guitar player. Holland approaches him after his set and Calvin’s apologetic demeanor and sexy Irish accent quickly wins her forgiveness. She’s still replaying their conversation over in her head days after their encounter at the bar. When the lead violinist who has several pivotal solos in her uncle’s Broadway show ends up quitting, Holland has an epiphany. She knows that Calvin could take over the lead and he would be brilliant at it and with a little convincing she gets an audition set up for Calvin. He blows everyone away with his raw talent but drops a bomb when he confesses that he can’t accept the job because he’s been in the country illegally for the past four years.

Holland normally plays it safe and never does anything truly crazy but her love for her Uncle and her desire to help Calvin achieve his lifelong dream has her ”proposing” that they get married so that Calvin can get his green card which would allow him to be in her uncle’s show. From the very moment she approaches Calvin with her crazy plan, you can feel this intense chemistry between them. Calvin is so incredibly sweet and charming it was easy to fall madly in love with his character. What makes the story perfect is that the heroine was also just as lovable. Her inherent nature to always put others before herself and her inability to see that she was someone worth loving made her character so endearing.

I was dying from the anticipation for when they would realize that their relationship was far from ”fake” and well when it happens let's just say we are taken on a rough and wild rollercoaster ride full of angst and emotions. Theirs is not an easy road to true and everlasting love but I always say it’s the level of angst that makes the ending that much sweeter.

Here are my overall ratings on the book:

Hero: 5++++
Heroine: 5++++
Plot: 5++++
Angst: 5
Steam: 5
Chemistry Between Hero & Heroine: 5++++

ROOMIES releases on December 5th! It’s one I highly recommend you read ASAP!

Amazon: http://amzn.to/2AghL5X

photo 17631979_zpsogt4rrvf.png
Kaceey
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive, buddy-read
It’s rom-com weekend! Pop the popcorn, slip into your jammies and make friends with your most comfortable chair!

Holland has found herself hopelessly love-struck with a talented subway musician. Even going so far as traveling miles out of her way every day just to see him.
In her mind she’s created a fantasy, fairy-tale romance with him. Oh but alas, she doesn’t even know his name! All that will change shortly.

As fate would have it, Holland’s uncle Robert needs a new musician f
Susanne  Strong
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rom-com, buddy-read
4 Stars.

What Happens when you talk to your Crush for the First Time Ever? Instant Marriage? No Way. Way!

Meet Holland: Everyday she goes to the Fiftieth Street Station in Manhattan to listen to a musician who plays guitar there most days and nights. She absolutely loves his sound. His looks don’t hurt either. She is crushing hard till one day she actually works up the courage to talk to him after a drunken night out with her best friend Lulu. Turns out his name is Calvin, he’s Ir
Warda
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“But I also think she sees herself as a supporting character, even in her own life story.”

Romance books always have me feeling single as fuck but also hopeful and I’m a soppy mess right now. This book was almost a dream and so passionate. In goals and in love. I so badly wanted more!

What am I supposed to do now? Where can I find me own Calvin?!

‘Tings’ I LOVED:
• Our main female protagonist. Hella relatable!
• The love interest and his Irish accent. Calvin was
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
5 stars!

Review and Paperback Giveaway at Of Pens and Pages.

There was never a dull moment reading this book! Fantastic banter and chemistry, great pace and flow, a wonderful and relatable heroine and a guitar-playing Irishman who will melt your heart with his music and accent. Plus, it's a slow burn, marriage of convenience romance, so duh. Of course, it's
Larry H
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading two particularly heavy books, I needed something a little lighter, something that wouldn't leave me emotionally debilitated. Once again this year, I turned to Christina Lauren, two writers whose work I've become a tremendous fan of. (This is the fourth book of theirs I've read this year; the fifth, Autoboyography , was among the best books I read last year.)

I know when I pick up a book of Lauren's I'm bound to find a charming, poignant, utterly engaging, sexy story, full of appealin
Anne
This is the story of a girl who falls in love with a boy and his guitar.

description

Also, he's kinda in the States illegally. And due to a convoluted plot that could only happen in a romance novel, she marries him so he can save her uncle's Broadway musical. <--because only his amazing guitar riffs will do!

jessica
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
there is a difference between a romance novel and a romance-supported story. a romance novel solely focuses on the relationship between two people, whereas a romance-supported story is a book where the main focus is on a plot, but also exhibits frequent romance elements that assist that storyline. i went into this hoping for a romance novel, but ended up getting a romance-supported story instead. sigh.

i thought a little more romantic connection between holland and calvin could have really el
Elena
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’ve had friends like that, the ones you outgrow but keep anyway.

Christina Lauren is a popular duo I had seen pop up on my feed so many times, and just when I thought I was losing interested in NA, I can now gladly say that I can see why. I'll admit it, I only began reading this right after reading Christina Lauren's bio on their website saying these days you can find her at her desk, writing or watching BTS videos and if you think that is what caught my whole attention then you are absolutely correct. I
Lia
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: shmexy-reads
But this...writing about how it feels to listen to music, to have found him--it almost feels like I'm writing a description of how my organs work together, what keeps me breathing. I don't think I've ever felt this before.

I’m not an avid NA/contemporary reader, but I do love me some Christina Lauren goodies from time to time.
I find their writing easy and entertaining without resulting cheap or vulgar, and every time I engage in one of their stories, I can rest easily knowing they will provide me at
Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
“I’ve never done this before. I just know I’m falling for the girl I married.”

I absolutely fell in love with this book. I knew what I was getting going into it, a marriage of convenience, a marriage to save a guy from being deported. What I didn’t know, I was getting an amazing love story. It was sweet, lighthearted, sexy, funny, and it was exactly what I needed. I will be honest, the first 30% was rather
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Contemporary-A-Thon Challenge #1: read a book that has been recommend to you - COMPLETE!

Y’all, this book was really good. Like, I FINALLY loved something by Christina Lauren again, good. This surprised me so much and I am SO HAPPY that I read it! Probably gonna re-read it again in a few weeks because I’m already itching to revisit these characters. Happy sigh
Whitney Atkinson
I just recently read The Hating Game by Sally Thorne, a book that revolutionized my reading and made me realize I should delve more into adult romance rather than grasping New Adult by the throat and begging it to give me new, unproblematic content. So I decided to pick up this book because I mean, come on. Set in NYC about musical theater and a fake relationship trope? I’m here for it. And although I flew through this book in a day or two, my expectations were ultimately let down.

Th
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
4-4.5 cute stars

I had so much fun while I was reading it.It was sweet,cute, lighthearting and sexy.The book keep my interest throughout and I was intrigued with the concept of a fake marriage contract.

description

Roomies has it all, steamy moments,lovable characters,and an intense and full of emotions romance.Calvin is a swoon worthy hero,I adored him and I fell for him hard.Holland is funny and cute.I could easily relate with her
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
Really loved it, I "tink"... :D Blog review by Jenny soon!
Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
CURRENTLY ON HUGE SALE! | http://amzn.to/2jqoINh

“Mo stóirín, I fear I’ll like you too much.”

description

Reading a book by Christina Lauren is ALWAYS a treat and a guaranteed awesome read. Light, fun, touching, and with their signature humor, Roomies was no exception.

First things first. From here on out, I only want to be referred to as ‘“Mo stóirín.” Because Irish speaking musicians is my new favorite thing.

Roomies tells the story of Holland Bakker (told primarily in her POV), whom I would like to point out is hysterical. I lived for her dry humor. Holland workshttp://amzn.to/2jqoINh
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
This book receives 5 out of 5 AMAZING Stars! This was just what I needed to lighten up my mood! This book was absolutely hilarious, surprising, romantic, fun, open-minded and more! I loved escaping into this book! I loved Holland and Calvin! They were awesome seperately but even better after their "nuptials".

I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants! Okay, I know some of you are thinking "TMI, GROSS!" (Thank you motherhood!) Anyways back to this awesome book, I loved the romance and l
Riley
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
5th read for #smutathon
Challenge: Fake Dating

Omg. omg. this was so good. I'm dying at how cute it was
Heather
3.5

Really enjoyable, steamy, swoon worthy read!
Emer (A Little Haze)
If you're going to feature a book with an Irish character please don't resort to offensive stereotyping by randomly italicising this faux Irish accent every now and then throughout the book.

Also, if you're going to include phrases from the Irish language:
(a) ensure they are grammatically correct; incorrectly phrasing and spelling my native tongue is utterly galling to me and did nothing other than antagonise and infuriate me making for an extremely irritating reading experience
♥Rachel♥
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for Roomies and while I liked the story, I didn’t love it.

You get the gist of the overall story from the description, so I won’t rehash it here. I think this is a case where the story would’ve benefited from a dual POV because my biggest issue was that I wasn’t sure that Calvin wanted Holland like she wanted him for much of the book. It felt very one-sided to me, I knew Holland was crazy about Calvin, but didn’t feel it on his end. If we would’ve had Calvin’s POV maybe I would’
Khadidja ~on hiatus~
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I tink i love this so much and i also tink i want an Irish boy like Clavin.

RTC .....i tink?
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

“You’re too beautiful to be inexperienced in love.”

Roomies is a charming book that sneaks up on you and grabs your heart! Holland has had a crush on subway musician Calvin for months who then saves her when she gets attacked on the subway. Recognizing his musical talent, she is able to get him his big break in broadway. There’s only one problem, he’s from Ireland and has been living in America illegally for the last four years.

Holland finds a crazy solution, she decides to marry C
Lainey
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
1st book for #Smutathon! I'm off to a great start.
Trope Challenge: Fake Dating (Fake marriage, but same difference)

I loooooved this book. Omg. It was so cute and pure.
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»
RATING: 4.5 Hearts!

description

Roomies is a beautiful amalgamation of tender romance and elegant seduction, Christina Lauren deftly captivating readers with melodic musical theatre elements set against the cinematic background of a dazzling New York.

He kisses me like it’s love, and as he pushes faster into me, he sounds like a man overcome with love, and when he rolls
class="gr-hostedUserImg">
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
I buddy read this book with my dear friends Rachmi, Trish and Kat ;)

Roomies offers a lot of good vibes. I love the fake marriage, quirky dialogue and steamy romance. Itt's less angsty and more lighthearted compared to other books Christina Lauren has written. Each moments were cute and it's impossible not to smile on it.

It all started with Holland Bakker dropping by on the subway purposely just to see her crush. He's a good looking and talented street musician. She's mesmerize every tim/>

• Wrong to Need You (Forbidden Hearts, #2)
  • And for Your Information… (Butterfly, #2)
  • From Scratch (Blue Plate, #1)
  • Take the Lead (Dance Off, #1)
  • Stay Until We Break (Hub City, #2)
  • The Prince (A Wicked Trilogy, #3.5; 1001 Dark Nights, #85)
  • A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2)
  • Her Halloween Treat (Men at Work, #1)
  • Vanguard
  • Falling for Trouble (Librarians in Love #2)
  • Behind the Curtain
  • What Lies Between (Where One Goes, #2)
  • Making Up (London Celebrities, #3)
  • Heart Breaker (Nashville Nights, #1)
  • Playing for Her Heart (Gamers #2)
  • 36 Hour Date (One Wild Wish, #3)
  • North to You (Journey to the Heart #1)
  • Bounce (Boomerang, #3)
Christina Lauren is the combined pen name of long-time writing partners/besties/soulmates/brain-twins Christina Hobbs and Lauren Billings. The coauthor duo writes both Young Adult and Adult Fiction, and together has produced fourteen New York Times bestselling novels. Their books have been translated into 30+ languages. (Some of these books have kissing. Some of these books have A LOT of kissing.) ...more
“I’ve had friends like that,” he says, “the ones you outgrow but keep anyway.” 16 likes
“Maybe the reason I can't write about fictional life is because I haven't actually lived.” 16 likes