Start by marking “The Other Side of Everything” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of Everything

The Other Side of Everything

“A first-rate murder mystery.” —People

“[For] fans of crime fiction wanting literary flair and emotional depth.” —Publishers Weekly, starred review

Laura Lippman meets Megan Abbott in this suspenseful literary debut about three generations of neighbors whose lives intersect in the aftermath of a crime.

Bernard White is a curmudgeonly widower who has lived in Seven Springs,
Published January 23rd 2018 by Atria Books

Start your review of The Other Side of Everything
Diane S ☔
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
3.5 A different and unique take on a murder mystery. First,note that there is no girl, mother, daughter nor sister in the title. So refreshing. Second, in the books summary there are no comparisons to Gone Girl or Girl on the Train. A big zing!! Third, the murders concern three women, all octogenarians, all part of a group that referred to themselves as "The originals."

They once had mates, but now one could not help but notice how many have died, leaving a wife there, a husband here. But who or
Sarah Joint
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is crime fiction that's more emotional than thrilling, but that's not a bad thing. You get to know the characters very well. They're all very different people, at different points of their life, but share one small connection: the neighborhood they live in.

Bernard has been in this neighborhood for what seems like forever. He's watched as some people move on, some people die, couples become one half of a whole... new people move in, everything changes. A widower, he lives a solitary existen
Faith
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
In a Florida town a serial killer is murdering elderly women. This book is told from three separate points of view. Unfortunately, I was interested in only one of the three so most of the book was a waste of my time. Bernard and some of the other elderly residents band together to try to protect each other and, in the process, expand their lives. The Bernard story held my interest. Amy is a cancer survivor and artist who starts painting imagined renderings of the crime scenes. Her paintings attr ...more
AnisaAnne
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
You can also read my reviews of WP: https://anisabookreviews.wordpress.co...

On a stormy day, a gruesome tragedy will unsettle a quiet town in Florida. Bernard was the first to smell the smoke and called 911. But it was too late. When the paramedics carried Adel out covered in a white sheet, life in the Seven Springs would never be the same. Especially for Bernard, Amy, and Maddie.

The Other Side of Everything is about the intersection of three individuals, three different generations, living in a
Jay
Oct 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read an ARC of this book.

While I did read the entire book, I was hard pressed to find anything mysterious or thrilling about the story. Despite the presence of three murders and the eventual uncovering (by complete happenstance instead of someone actually seeking out the killer), this book was more about three people spending the majority of the book stuck in an endlessly repeating circle of regrets and self-recrimination.

For me, this is not what I would've chosen to read had I known that th
Touchstone Books
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The ***starred*** Publishers Weekly review said it best: "For fans of crime fiction wanting literary flair and emotional depth.” If you like your crime fiction with a ton of layers and heart, this is the book for you.
Donna Hines
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
A mystery, thriller, and thought provoker all rolled into one with a strong emphasis on empathy, emotion, compassion, and the will to live a full life.
Three generations of neighbors become intertwined upon several crimes being executed in their own tight knit community and now everyone is on high alert while seeking answers.
Hindsight is 20/20 but lord if the walls could talk what a story they'd tell with this close knit neighborhood of Florida residents.
Three main set of characters: Bernard Whi
MRIDULA
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Old women are being murdered and no one has the faintest of the clue about who the murderer is. So all the old people in the town, who call themselves ‘The Originals’, team up to keep themselves safe and to identify the killer. In the meantime, Amy Unger gets disturbing visions about the murder and the murderer. For someone, who hasn’t finished a painting in three years, Amy finds there dreams extremely disturbing and decides to paint them.

With multiple deaths and multiple suspects, this story c
Kelsey
May 15, 2017 added it
Shelves: for-work
Despite the serial killer, this suspense novel is actually an emotional, even sweet story with A Man Called Ove vibes. What has stayed with me is the way the elderly characters come together as a community during this tragedy. It's definitely a page-turner, but one with a ton of heart.
Michelle
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I almost quit this one. Just couldn’t get into the story or connect with the characters. I’d say I’m glad I finished it, but the ending...didn’t work for me at all.
Out of the Bex
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Less than 24 hours later and here I am, closing the last page of this book with a sense of immense satisfaction.

This mystery novel explores more than just whodunnit, but the often painful, complicated, yet beautiful experience of life itself with fantastically crafted characters. Characters so well influenced, in fact, I cared more for them than the answer to the plot’s mystery.

It’s a beautifully done debut with plenty of moments that will fill your heart and empty it again. More than a my
Searavens
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 201801-jan, 2018
Absorbing...finished just a little over 24 hours after beginning. Beautiful writing, very believable characters and dialogue. Some other reviews seem to be rating it as a murder mystery but it's more of a thriller with women in jeopardy, a disturbing, violent killer on the loose...and sociological drama of aging, shifting neighborhoods, parental estrangement, and struggling marriages.
Catie
Review copy provided by Touchstone Books - January 2018

Favorite Quotes:

“The beauty of the world will break your heart, and put it back together again.”
Patricia
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, crime, murder, library
Joyce
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

This story is told from the points of view of three people: Bernard an elderly man, Maddie a teenager, and Amy.

An elderly woman named Adel Minor is beaten to death in her own home. The smoking remains of her supper alerted the neighborhood and the fire department to that fact that something was wrong.

Bernard White is an octogenarian widower who still talks to his wife. He mostly stays home except for Wednesdays when he ventures out to the dry cleaners and to go grocery shopping. When he r
Gare Billings
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Other Side of Everything is a harrowing, sharp, and poignant debut novel centering around a serial killer in Florida. Told from the perspective of three very different characters, the reader gets a phenomenally deep look into how violence and fear can affect those of all different backgrounds and ages.

I was absolutely astonished with how quickly I found myself immersed in this novel. Usually, going into a suspense or a thriller, I am immediately drawn to the red herrings and always trying t
Kara
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-releases
This book was honestly mediocre and all over the place. There were three POVs, and it was impossible to see how they would tie together in the end, and when they did, it was all haphazard and coincidental, and I just didn't understand the point of it all.

This book is forgettable. You can skip it.

I will say that the author paints a lovely, and at the same time, unsettling portrait of South Florida. She really captured the atmosphere and I appreciated it. But that's about it.

The POVs were an old
Bob Brink
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Though I’ve authored two murder mysteries – one, more of a legal thriller, awaiting a publisher – the murder fiction genre never has particularly attracted me. I don’t need to be frightened; the real world is so full of scary stuff that I have all I can handle.

However, the world of literature offers a trove of books that treat murder in literary fashion. I think back on one by Joyce Carol Oates maybe three decades ago (don’t recall the title) that had a guy shoving his wife through a sliding gl
The Blonde Bookworm
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Other Side of Everything is a thought provoking literary journey disguised as a suspense novel, and I deeply loved this story from start to finish. The characters were intriguing and the story line was fast paced with just the right amount of suspense and thrill. I loved the fact that it had classic suspense vibes, but also took the reader along on a journey with the characters as they navigated life and loss.

The Other Side of Everything is definitely not your typical suspense novel. It has
Angela
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Somewhere in reading book reviews, I found a recommendation for The Other Side of Everything. I picked it up and thought it looked like a pleasant little mystery. It is much more than that. Lauren Doyle Owens has written a novel with fully developed characters that the reader becomes invested in. Multiple storylines come together in a satisfying ending (surprising to me).
The story is set in Florida among a deteriorating retirement community, but the characters encompass all generations. Their s
Lisa
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this title from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Eh. I can see why people would like this, but I don't think it's for everyone. It was certainly not suspenseful, just people living their lives in the aftermath of some horrific murders. The content description that their lives intertwine hardly feels accurate when only two of the three actually talk for more than running into each other, and even that doesn't occur until the end of the book. I don't think that the s
Karen
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was pulled into this story. It is so much more than just a thriller. The story is told from three different perspectives that live in the same neighborhood where murders are happening. The main characters were very relate able and the writing is very compelling and flows easily. This is so much more than just a thriller!
Bonnie
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I thought that this suspenseful, mystery read was well thought out where characters affected by a crime discovered the connection with their neighbors. I liked how it all came together, and it showed the emotional impact that an event takes on several individuals. Enjoyable and engaging read.
Thomas
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A murder mystery without the whodunit, The Other Side of Everything is more of an emotional look at three people in different stages of their life. Bernard, a retired widower struggles to find his place in a world without his wife and the still complicated feelings he has for his old mistress. Amy struggles to find her place after cancer has repeatedly ravaged her body and her relationship with her husband is failing. Maddie is navigating the treacherous waters of being fifteen as well as strugg ...more
Stacy
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was more of a character study than a mystery. I thought the author did a good job portraying all three age ranges of the characters realistically. I enjoyed the flashback sequences and wish there had been more of them, but realize that the characters’ perceptions of the past were more germane to the plot. The ending was a little tidy in some ways, but that didn’t spoil the book for me. The book wasn’t what I was expecting from the description, but I liked it even though the mystery wasn’t t ...more
Carole
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book about the murders of elderly Florida women, told from the viewpoints of several different neighbors. Two of the narrators, a troubled artist and a sad teenaged girl, particularly grew on me, and I was sorry to have the book end and not have more to read in their voices.

Excellent first novel; I will look forward to more from this author.
Janice
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An honestly told you story

The characters were motivated by believable events and emotions. The action in the story seemed believable as a result. It was suspenseful and kept me reading.
Valerie
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved getting lost in these lonely and sad characters. Another reviewer said the book is a thought provoking literary journey disguised as a suspense novel and I couldn't agree more. Even though the murders are not the main focus of the narrative, the eventual reveal ties in very nicely. Also loved the low key shoutout to chicken farming on the Eastern Shore.
Amy Bartholomee
Really enjoyed reading this book. Lauren is a gifted writer, and I enjoyed reading her particular literary style. Lauren is my daughter Stacy's cousin, so I am so happy to read and support writers!
William
Oct 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Audio book Narrators were very good which allowed me to tolerate this.....

social relationships within family and neighborhood,but not much of a mystery.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• What Happened That Night
  • Wicked River
  • Dark Turns
  • Closer Than You Know
  • The Echo Killing (Harper McClain, #1)
  • Contents Under Pressure (Britt Montero, #1)
  • Act Like a Lady: Questionable Advice, Ridiculous Opinions, and Humiliating Tales from Three Undignified Women
  • How It Happened
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 1
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • The Pueblo Revolt: The Secret Rebellion that Drove the Spaniards Out of the Southwest
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • Mistaken Reality