Start by marking “The Monster Hunter Files” as Want to Read:

(Monster Hunter International)

ALL NEW STORIES SET IN THE BEST-SELLING MONSTER HUNTER INTERNATIONAL SERIES. New stories from Larry Correia, Jim Butcher, John Ringo, Jody Lynn Nye, Sarah A. Hoyt, Brad R. Torgersen, and many more!

For well over a century, Monster Hunter International has kept the world safe from supernatural threats small and large—and in some cases very, very large. Now, join us as MHI op
Published October 3rd 2017 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about The Monster Hunter Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster Hunter Files

Start your review of The Monster Hunter Files
Montzalee Wittmann
(Monster Hunter International)
by Larry Correia (Author, Editor)
I love the Monster Files and this has different author's stories. I like these authors but I felt some of these stories were only about 3 stars and some 4 stars. Most 3 stars! I liked them just not what I am used to with Monster Files.
The narration varied also with each story.
Eric
3.5 Stars

As someone who loves all things MHI, I was very excited to read this. Anthologies aren’t my favorite, but the whole idea sounded very interesting to me. Overall I would say that, like most anthologies, it was a mixed bag. Some were excellent, some were fine, and there was only one that I distinctly disliked. Below is a quick summary of each entry.

Larry Correia “Thistle” – Usual Correia, it was a nice, fun little story that had an interesting twist at the end that I’m curious to see whe
Yodamom
Fabulous audiobook, filled with excellent short stories perfect for travel, walking, sitting or just ignoring the people around you. The narration was very well done. I think this is the first anthology where I enjoyed all the stories and authors.
Two of my favorite authors were included in this monster hunter collection of short stories, Jim Butcher, and Faith Hunter. Both write fabulous characters and truly wicked monsters, so I was thrilled when I won a copy of this. Yes, both knocked it out o
Beanbag Love
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 stars, rounded up.

The Monster Hunter International series is one of my absolute favorites. At this point, I'd say that Larry Correia is at the top of my must-buy list. Numero Uno. I just love all his universes, but this one was my first so it's very dear to my heart.

Not long ago, rabidly successful author, John Ringo, read MHI and went nuts writing what was basically a professional fan fic. It ended up being three installments
Adam Duclos
This was a tough read. There's nothing on the cover to indicate this, but this is not only an urban fantasy anthology (as opposed to a novel), but it's based on an entire series of books that evidently read as a regular urban fantasy but written by a self professed gun nut.

Long story short, the only really, unequivocally good story was the one written by Jim Butcher. It was self contained, fun to read, and was super cool.

Short story long:

The rest of them were pretty rough, even the ones that we
David
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Monster-killing prom queens, vengeful brothers, OG gnomes, Nazi-fighting golems
Larry Correia's Monster Hunter books are pleasant brain candy if you feel like reading half-baked urban fantasy with lots of guns and action. "Half-baked" because, like Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series, Correia throws the entire supernatural kitchen sink into his world, but doesn't craft it in as much depth as Butcher does. On the other hand, Butcher's protagonist is a whiny secret bad-ass wish-fulfillment character, while Correia's protagonist is a loud-mouthed, blustering bad-ass wish-fulfil ...more
Jonathan Wilson
4.5 Stars

Great anthology, love the MHI world and this collection introduced me to a bunch of authors I look forward to reading
William
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m always up for some monster hunting. I like the idea of stories from an organization hunting creatures of the night. I know not all the stories were modern, but I did enjoy the reoccurring theme of the flamethrower. Like with any anthology some of the stories were great and others were alright. It was full of some authors I enjoy reading. If you enjoy a good monster story check it out. There were one or two I would like to see expanded upon or perhaps another tale with that character.
Stephanie
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Any chance of more? Sep. the colony of rats and the new elves knight.
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
It was a fun jaunt.
Barb
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun to re-visit some of the characters from the Monster Hunter books. Not all the stories were great but most of them were good.
Ian
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(ARC)
A really excellent anthology set in the Monster Hunter universe from various authors allowed to play in Larry Correia's sandpit. I always find that short stories read faster than an equivalent length novel and that's definitely the case with this collection.
Frankly you know what you're getting with MHI - but it's none the worse for that, and this collection has some real standout tales - Jim Butcher away from Harry Dresden with MHI meets the Rats of NIMH is terrific, and presumably for fan
Darren
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of anthologies, because often there's only a handful of stories I like. This one, though, was very enjoyable, with only a couple weak ones.

Really liked: 8
Liked ok: 8
Didn't really like: 1

My favorites were Correia's "Thistle," which had a great perspective, and Jim Butcher's "Small Problems," which I thought was the best story in the book. Jessica Day George's "A Knight of the Enchanted Forest" starred a homeschooler - how could I not love that one? :) Kim May's "Keep Kaiju Weir
BJ Haun
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Picked this up at Salt Lake Comic Con, where the author had some copies of the book available before the offical launch. It became the book I read while riding the train to and from the Con.

Monster Hunter Files is a very solid anthology. I can think of only story I didn't really like, but given that I didn't like John Ringo's take on the MHI in Grunge I'm not terribly surprised I still didn't like it here. The rest of the stories I would rate 3 to 5-stars, with Jim Butcher's Small Problems proba
Richard
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban
A really enjoyable anthology. The stories build on what has been published so far. Continuity maintained! lol

The stories are presented as case files by Albert Lee, the MHI archivist. Most stories involved characters from the series. A few went their own way with their own characters. A least two stories take place after some up coming books. One story is a sneak peek at a new book.

Good monster killing fun! Recommended!
Kash Hatton
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very sound addition to the Monster Hunter universe. Characters you have come to know and love (or hate) in tales told by a group of master storytellers.

Pick this one up!
Adam Duclos

Short story long:

The rest of them were pretty rough, even the ones that we
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

The MONSTER HUNTER FILES anthology is a brilliant view into the Monster Hunter International series through the lens of some of my favorite authors and some new authors I should explore in the future. While some of the stories relate directly to characters from the Monster Hunter International series some authors insert their own characters into the universe. I liked that even if you've never read the series you can still enjoy some of the stories in th
Jeff Miller
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the strongest short story collections I have read. Lots of stories, and found all worthwhile. The Jim Butcher contribution was excellent. So was John C. Wright's contribution which had a different flavor than the other stories.

I listened to the audiobook version which had several narrators and added to the enjoyment.
Kiril Panchev
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great anthology. Really love the MHI series/universe. Enjoed most of the stories.
Ralph
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
3.5 out of 5 - Mixed bag of short stories from the Monster Hunter International universe.

This was my first foray into the Monster Hunter International world and the genre isn't my usual fare. However, I so enjoyed The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, an utterly fun listen, that I wanted to read more from Mr. Correla.

I have one of his Monster Hunter books in my "to-read" list, but I saw this title on sale and grabbed it up. Ironically, this is a story collection prim
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the stories are excellent. Most of them could be expanded into full novels. More MHI? Sounds good to me.
Amanda
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This showed up on my kindle without any notice during one morning commute and I was grateful -- new book! -- but confused -- why had I ordered it? Then I saw Jim Butcher's name on the author list. Oh, I must have pre-ordered it based on that.

I read Butcher's story without any background knowledge of Monster Hunters, Inc. and I honestly don't know if I would have finished if I'd had enough wi-fi to download another book that day. It wasn't BAD but it wasn't good, either. And I felt like I needed
JazzRizz
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought, audible, 2018
Overall ... I really enjoyed this Anthology. There were several stories I really liked, but there a few that were just ok. It was a fun peek into other author's take on the MHI world.

7/30-7/31: Larry Correia “Thistle” -Owen and the MHI team take on a new monster in Arizona.: Owen, Holly & Trip are on the case. (view spoiler) *****

8/1-8/2: Jim Bu
John
Aahhh. I do love some Mr. Trashbags.
Riders of Skaith
This partial review was originally posted on my blog, The Riders of Skaith. Read it there: https://theridersofskaith.wordpress.c...

“Thistle” by Larry Correia – 3/5. Owen and company rescue a little girl from monsters. The little girl has a rather different opinion…
This gets a low score because a) I dislike Owen as a narrator, and b) it, as unbelievably as this sounds, it stretches disbelief too much. Edward the tracker-orc can smell a little girl’s doll, but not that (view spoiler)
Kenny Bellew
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a lot of fun, non-connected short stories. No politics, like in the Memoirs series.
Othman Alfudiry
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad for passing time and taking a break from a heavy book. Though not all the stories in this book are intertaining, there are definitely a few fun ones.
Diane
First off, let me start by saying that Monster Hunter International is close to, but not quite, "my thing". It's a bit more oriented toward both guns and gore than I'd prefer, but I keep hearing it mentioned, and since this anthology features several of "my authors", I decided to give it a try.

I've already read the first four stories, including Jim Butcher's contribution (which I quite liked), and creator Larry Correia's own (which I didn't) in the sample portion free at Baen.com — much more th
stormin
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So, I didn't give a great review to the original Monster Hunter International, let alone the second one, Monster Hunter Vendetta. That was a couple of years ago. Earlier this year--while I was spending hours and hours packing and needed some massive amounts of audiobook to listen to--I revisited the series and completely changed my opinion. I haven't written those reviews yet--I'm behind!--but I will soon.

In any case, this meant that when I saw Monster Hunter Files was dropping soon, I was anxio
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Saints (Monster Hunter Memoirs, #3)
  • To Sail a Darkling Sea (Black Tide Rising, #2)
  • River of Night (Black Tide Rising #6)
  • March to the Stars (Empire of Man, #3)
  • Under a Graveyard Sky (Black Tide Rising, #1)
  • We Few (Empire of Man, #4)
  • Islands of Rage & Hope (Black Tide Rising, #3)
  • Voices of the Fall (Black Tide Rising)
  • Mogadishu of the Dead (Arisen, #2)
  • Junkyard Cats
  • Spells for the Dead (Soulwood #5)
  • Strands of Sorrow (Black Tide Rising, #4)
  • The Valley of Shadows (Black Tide Rising Book 6)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • Maximum Violence (Arisen, #4)
  • Parallel Worlds: The Heroes Within
  • At the End of the World (Black Tide Rising, #7)
  • Three Parts Dead (Arisen, #3)
Larry Correia (born 1977) is the New York Times bestselling author of the Monster Hunter International series, the Grimnoir Chronicles, and the thriller Dead Six.

Monster Hunter International (8 books)
  • Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1)
  • Monster Hunter Vendetta (Monster Hunter International, #2)
  • Monster Hunter Alpha (Monster Hunter International, #3)
  • Monster Hunter Legion (Monster Hunter International, #4)
  • Monster Hunter Nemesis (Monster Hunter International, #5)
  • Monster Hunter Siege (Monster Hunter International, #6)
  • Monster Hunter Guardian (Monster Hunter International, #7)
  • Monster Hunter Bloodlines (Monster Hunter International #8)