Start by marking “Bolivar” as Want to Read:
Bolivar

Bolivar

What would you do if your neighbor was a dinosaur?

Going extinct isn't for everyone.

Sybil knows that there is something off about her next door neighbor, but she can't seem to get anyone to believe her. Everyone is so busy going about their days in the busy streets of New York City that they don't notice Bolivar. They don't notice his odd height, his tiny arms, or his long
Published November 28th 2017 by Archaia

To ask other readers questions about Bolivar, please sign up.
Satine Storer I would personally say that Bolivar and Sybil are the two main characters. Sybil's mom and the Mayor and Sybil's teacher are also sort of important.

Betsy
It took a year and a half for me to notice, but by then it was too late.

I moved to the Chicago area from New York City in what can only be described as a fairly seamless transition. Going from one large metropolitan area to another large metropolitan area, albeit one with suburbs, didn't prove to be a huge a shock to the system. Job in place? Check. Car acquired? Check. House purchased? Check. Yup. Seemed I had everything sewed up in a neat little bow. And it wasn’t until much later that I learn
Calista
What a delightful book. I didn't know a thing about this and what a treat this was. A young girl lives in NYC and what's different about her is that she notices life around her whereas most other people in the city do not. She begins to suspect that her next door neighbor is a dinosaur. She goes about trying to get a picture of him because no one believes her. Everyone is so busy that they don't notice anything or anyone. The mayor's security team is so busy that they don't even notice that they ...more
David Schaafsma
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A large and ambitious combination children's graphic novel and picture book (some of it features comics panels, and some of it is illustrated picture book style) that is huge (224 pages), taking the artist FIVE years to produce. So it's to large for little kids, maybe, unless they live in Manhattan, to which the book is also a love letter, since many places in New York are depicted often in full, two-page layouts.

Sybil is amazed that no one but she knows there is a dinosaur in NYC. But this is N
Hilary
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Requested library to buy
This is an unusual format, a picture book with chapters. I liked that a lot, I think there is room for books to break out of their pigeon holes. The illustrations are good, I read they took five years, overall I liked them, the illustrator is good at scenes and buildings but I found the figures a bit cutesy and I don't like faces with hollow circles for eyes whilst the rest is fairly realistic. I felt the story was lacking, a dinosaur moves in but nobody notices apart from a child who of course ...more
Erica
The story here is just ok, it could have been cleaned up with some tweaks and tightening but that's not what we're here for.
We're here for the pictures!

I think this is what we'd get if Mercer Mayer and Bill Waterson had a storydrawing wunderkind named Sean. It's an absolute delight, visually.

Like I said before, the story isn't nearly as strong, though it is cute and appropriate for the age at which it is aimed (7-10-year-olds? Somewhere in that range)

New York City is all aglow with the successf
Melki
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bolivar is the last dinosaur. He does not want to be noticed, so he lives in the perfect place - New York City - where everyone is too busy to notice a dinosaur in their midst. He goes to museums, hits the deli for corned beef sandwiches, and haunts used book stores. But his neighbor, a young girl named Sybil, has seen him. If only she could convince someone else of his existence . . .

A lovely labor of love that took the author over five years to illustrate!
Lucy Stone
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bolivar is my favourite kind of "children's book" -- the kind that hides in the category until people discover it's far more than just a kid's picture book.

Narratively Bolivar flows through text and image, the story only half-told through text and half-told through art. It's a simple story but a complex one at the same time and so beautifully told you finish reading with a smile and then start flipping back through each page to find all the hidden details in the artwork.

The book reads as a trib
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A entertaining and engaging picture book / comic book readers of all ages. Bolivar is an exciting story about the last dinosaur who just happens to live in NYC. This story is a fun adventure that takes readers through the hustle and bustle of New York City, while getting to know more about Bolivar, and discovering the wonder that's all around us.

FULL REVIEW https://mundiekids.blogspot.com/2017/...
Andrea
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bolivar was such a fun read, even for adults. The story is clever and amusing, and the illustrations are so beautiful and also have little hidden gems. I had the opportunity to purchase a few as gifts during the initial release and look forward to buying others to give out. Bolivar will be a wonderful addition to any kids' book collection!
Nathan Hipple
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for younger readers looking for hefty standalone graphic novels. The artwork features top notch panel work blended with a Calvin & Hobbes esque level of expressive storytelling. I highly recommend taking your time while you read to really pay attention to all the small touches in each panel.
Annie ⚜️
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love children's books like these, especially the classics. The illustrations get me. I love to get lost in their details and this one did not disappoint. No wonder it took him 5 years finish. There is so much going on and, as others have said, this is a love letter to NYC. Great to show to a child before and after a visit to the highlights we see in the book like the Museum of Natural History, Central Park, the Met and Chinatown. It's just a gorgeous book to enjoy. Oh, and bonus, it's about a ...more
Kate
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute, very beautifully-illustrated, emotionally-resonant book. Huge amounts of detail in the pictures! I'm classifying it as a graphic novel at school although it's more like a picture book -- but it's 224 pages long, and has a lot of little clevernesses in it for older readers. My favorite part was the facial expression on the teacher during the first essay-reading scene.
Becky Stutzman
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A truly beautiful graphic novel that finally answers the question about what happened to the dinosaurs. After all, what would NYC be without the last dinosaur living there!
Lola Snyder
Bolivar is a dinosaur living in New York City - a city notorious for anonymity. One little girl knows who and what he is but, determined though she is to get photographic proof, anonymous he will remain. Or will he? Beautifully illustrated - Bolivar has the sweetest face, cleverly written, and compellingly complex, Bolivar should leave you with a smile.
Turrean
Completely charming. The characters have a Calvin and Hobbes-style look; the protagonist’s mom experiences about the same level of exasperation as Calvin’s mother, too. The NY City scenes are so well done, with so much loving detail; even non-residents will want to pore over the pages.
Aisha
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've only actually read the preview sample that was given out at BEA this year, but I'm already in love with this book. I don't have any kids, but I know a little girl who would adore this book. And I'll probably buy a copy for myself, I'm honestly so charmed!
Jessica
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh I love this! The illustrations so perfectly capture NYC, and the book perfectly captures how we can go about our day without noticing anything. Perhaps you're missing your own dinosaur?
Kate Buechler
Positively delightful. The detail of the illustrations is stunning. I spent a lot of time just looking at the art. Plus, there was a dinosaur.
Kelly
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
The author's note says that the illustrating the book took five years and it's incredible that it could even be illustrated in that relatively short amount of time. The book is so beautiful, the drawings so detailed and quirky. You can just stare and stare at the pages. I want to live in Bolivar's home or the bookstore.

If I had unlimited funds, I would buy dozens of copies of this book and pass them out freely to people who need a cozy feeling.
Victoria
If you think that adults shouldn't read children's books, this one will prove you wrong.

There are more pictures in it than text, but it doesn't make the story line worse. Sean Rubin tells us a story about a girl who finds out that a dinosaur is living next door to her. Isn't that the dream of any kid? However, nobody else notices this creature, so the author shows us what happens when adults are blinded by reality.

I'm always glad and surprises that children's literature has so many hidden mean
Annette
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review by James, age very nearly 9, 5/5/18
This book is about Bolivar and Sybil. Bolivar is a dinosaur who lives in New York. Sybil is a little girl who lives next door to Bolivar. Nobody ever notices Bolivar, because it is the busiest city in the world. He never has to worry about somebody screaming "Dinosaur!" because it is the busiest city in the world. Sybil is the only one who notices Bolivar, and nobody believes her. She tries to get her mom to look out the window, but she's too busy typing
Misti
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
In New York City, everybody is too busy to notice that you are a dinosaur. That's how Bolivar, the last dinosaur, has lived there for so many years. His next-door neighbor Sybil keeps trying to tell people about Bolivar, but they just think she has a very active imagination. And then, one day, Bolivar gets noticed, despite his best efforts to blend in...

This book is an odd hybrid of picture book and graphic novel. The illustrations are charming, the story is whimsical, but I just didn't connect
Jason
This is a labor of love if I've ever seen it. Sumptuously illustrated, exploding in color and packed with detailed illustrations, Bolivar tells the story of a definitely not-extinct dinosaur staying on the down low in New York City until a young girl notices and makes it her quest to out him. The plot develops as you expect it to and all ends well. Ho hum. But the real treat is going back and examining more closely the art and the layouts, all meticulously crafted apparently over the course of f ...more
Erin
This is gorgeous. Sybil, an inquisitive young girl who somehow has a Calvin vibe, notices that her neighbor is a dinosaur. Bolivar is the last living dinosaur who makes his home in New York City where people are too busy to notice him. In this lengthy picture book, Sybil and Bolivar bump into each other around town, Sybil trying to get photographic evidence and Bolivar just trying to live his life. The story is light and cute and fun, but the illustrations are just stunning.

Echoes of Calvin and
Stephanie Tournas
This is a really winning story about a little girl who may be the only person in NYC to notice the dinosaur living in her neighborhood. I love her indefatigable efforts to photograph Bolivar, and her belief, in the face of widespread mocking and eye rolling, that he exists. Rubin's slightly retro portrayal of the city is warm, tree-filled, and full of hapless adults. What an appealing universe!
The large format graphic novel/chapter book presentation lends itself to reading aloud or reading alone
Kathleen
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
In this charming comic for young readers, Bolivar the dinosaur lives in New York, where everyone is too busy to notice that he is not extinct. With a nosy little neighbor who sees what he is, a terrified neighbor, and a police officer too busy to notice that he's not a car, Bolivar has a lot to deal with. Fortunately, he manages with aplomb.

I highly recommend this book to young readers and folks who appreciated Rubin's work on other books like Mouse Guard.
Vince
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is such a delight to read, it feels like a secret that's been held inside and now you know it, you are dying to share it with everyone. The art, the story, it's truly magical and I felt so giddy and joyful as I read it. It's a graphic novel, but the way it slips into a picture book at times is a wonder, someone else said it but I'll say it too, it's like Bill Watterson drew the art for a Maurice Sendak story. Please read this, please revel in its simple joys and delightful whimsy.
Josh
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an adorable delight. Bolivar the dinosaur just wants to live a quiet life in the big city. But when his young neighbor notices who--or rather what--he is, things threaten to change. With lovely art, effective storytelling, and the right amount of silliness--"Bolivar" is an entertaining book for young readers that also takes a moment to reflect on a basic, human question--are we too busy with our own lives, that we sometimes miss what's right in front of our faces?
Steph Myers
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My new year's resolution is to get back to being caught up on GR. It's not going to happen, but looking at my reading history, I saw this and thought . . . "Awww . . . Bolivar . . . " I pretty much fell in love with this mild-mannered T-rex who likes to read and keep a low profile. Until his meddling neighbor sees him and then tries to convince everyone he exists . . .
honeybean
Junior graphic novel (?), picture book with some panels. . .Regardless, LOVE THIS! Darling book about how people are too busy to notice what is going on around them - set in NYC but can be transferred/used in any setting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt (A Narwhal and Jelly, #2)
  • Le Grand Méchant Renard
  • Written and Drawn by Henrietta
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • New Shoes
  • Cosmic Commandos
  • Fish Girl
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • Lowriders to the Center of the Earth (Lowriders in Space, #2)
  • The Great Big Boom (HiLo, #3)
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • Arthur and the Golden Rope (The Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #1)
  • The Amazing Crafty Cat (Crafty Cat, #1)
  • Hippopotamister
  • The Dam Keeper (Dam Keeper, #1)