Start by marking “Adultolescence” as Want to Read:
Adultolescence

Adultolescence

From Teen Choice Award-nominated comedian and vlogger Gabbie Hanna, known on YouTube as The Gabbie Show, an astounding debut poetry collection that captures the essence of what it means to come of age in today’s world.

Full of confessional, whimsical, and darkly humorous observations about life, love, and the early years of adulthood, this collection of over 150 poems, each
Published September 19th 2017 by Atria/Keywords Press (first published September 9th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Adultolescence, please sign up.
Brianna as a young adult who watches gabbie religiously, this book didn't seem to match up with her character at all, nor did i relate to any but two of the…moreas a young adult who watches gabbie religiously, this book didn't seem to match up with her character at all, nor did i relate to any but two of the poems. it also wasn't funny if purposely written in a childish way, nor is her writing in a childish way beneficial to the book. in fact, it just made the book worse, in my opinion. this book was a joke, and not the good kind. i love gabbie, but this book is just a bad representation of what she can actually put to the table. which is great entertainment. (less)

Lala BooksandLala
Aug 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I liked 3 of around 200 of the "poems". Unfortunately most of this was poorly written or quite literally (as stated by her in the book itself, likely in jest) written "because [she] had a deadline and needed to fill pages."
I'm sure I just don't understand how clever/funny it's meant to be though so..yknow, maybe don't place too much stock in my review.
Riley
Aug 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"dont believe everything u read i could write rn that i like tapioca but i hate tapicoa it's the devils snack so ya dont believe everything u read unless u read that im cool u can believe that"
what??

I am a fan of Gabbie, but wow this is just bad. I think the attempt was to be funny but it just wasn't. Every "poem" read like a drunk tweet.
Elyse Walters
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“i’ve got a head full of nightmares,
a heart full of rage,
a belly full of liquor,
and a sink full of dishes.

i’ll start with the dishes”.

Great humor- photos - real life issues - *real*
If you enjoy rupi kaur ......you’ll enjoy Gabbie Hanna! She pours her heart out in this little book!

This book must be experience- I’d recommend a PHYSICAL BOOK if possible!

Whitney Atkinson
Let me preface this review by saying that I like Gabbie. I've watched her videos for years. But this is..... bad.

none of these poems read like poetry, even the "good" ones. milk & honey looks poetic next to this, and anyone could look up and see that i did NOT like milk & honey because to me, it just read like normal sentences. these poems literally read like tweets. they’re not meaningful at ALL, even in a comedic way.

i think she set herself up for failure by saying that her inspiration
Kylie Amber
May 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Okay the only thing I liked about this was her illustrations. The author made it very clear on multiple pages that she is writing a book for the money not for anything else. Many pages she even called “ filler” pages because she has a deadline and it’s not even funny to see that stuff if that’s what she was going for? In my opinion, this is not a poetry book she pretty much has abbreviations 4 (haha just like that) every word she is writing. I didn’t enjoy
Krista Regester
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
"i'm the cockiest most insecure
confident self-conscious self-
assured anxious proud self-
loathing person i know."

If you want a quirky and unique book that jumps from an in depth poem about serious depression, to the random rantings on hangovers and dishes, this is for you! I found this to be an unexpected journey, since I didn't know what I would get when I turned the page. Although the tweet like poems were interesting I did find the art being my favorite part.
Taneika
Oct 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Full disclaimer: I don’t watch Gabbie’s videos. I tried, found I wasn't a fan, but I also don’t dislike her. I picked up this book purely bc I liked the look of the poems in the store and I liked the pictures. I’ve barely read any poetry and I don’t really know what kinds I like or don’t like. I know I didn’t like Adultolescence though.

Half the time, I felt like I was reading a shit post on tumblr (the “Advice” poems were the worst), which would be fine, if it didn’t go into this expecting poetr
ambsreads
Overall, this was mediocre. Some of the poems really stuck out to me, mainly the one titled Adultolescence and many about building yourself back/knowing your worth. The former mentioned left me crying and gave me goosebumps since I related to it as deeply.

However, this isn't that great a poetry book. There use of "bc" and shortened words throughout made my eye twitch and a lot of the poems are truly only things Gabbie herself would understand. She speaks about her personal experiences specifica
chrissy

I originally gave this book 2 stars, but the more I went through it, I realized that 2 stars was honestly too high if you compare what I liked to what I disliked. Because of this, I have knocked down my rating by a half star, so it now sits at 1.5 stars for me.

DISCLAIMER: I usually read books by YouTubers only of YouTubers that I actually watch every day, keep up with, follow in Instagram & Twitter, and I would call myself a fan of. However, that wasn't the case with Adultolescence.
Kate ♡
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read, poetry
Actual Rating: 3.75/5
Read this in a couple hours. I really enjoyed it!

Some poems were just a little strange, but I loved majority of them! Definitely worth the read!
Brianna
Oct 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book when my friend excitedly let me borrow it for a bit. I love Gabbie, she's one of my favorite YouTubers and has always been. Plus, her song is killer and is so relatable and beautiful. This book, however, was the total opposite. I have seen lots of excuses from her devoted fans, who probably didn't even read the book themselves, saying it's supposed to be childish and silly and a parody or whatever. That's supposed to make us people who don't like it change our m ...more
Taylor Knight
I recently discovered Gabbie's YouTube channel and I was super curious about her book. I wasn't sure what to expect so I really didn't have any high hopes but I was still vaguely disappointed.
I'm no expert on poetry but some of these really weren't good at all. Many of the poems read like drunk social media posts and some felt like fillers. Gabbie even has a poem joking how some of the poems are in the book because she had a deadline. On one hand, the poems just weren't good, plain nd simple. Bu
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
That's a quick read but I suffered over a poorly written collection. The verses (or should I say rundown sentences?) are basic and flat. Some of them are random and lacked of substance. Poems should be well thought and emotionally stirring. This one has none. I don't recommend this collection. AT ALL. I'm on a roll of disappointing poetry books. This is a bad sign.
Nichole Stevens
When i heard of Gabbie was coming out with a book i laughed, i figured it'd be a terrible book. But when she came out with a song "Out Loud" i second guessed myself. I figured that song, as it was promo for the book, was going to be a very good indication of how the book was going to be. I was wrong. As someone who loves poetry, this book is laughable. It follows a Dr Seuss rhyme scheme . "Unexpected" and "SLEEP" made me cringe. Now not all was bad, i enjoyed her more serious poems such as: Fash ...more
Sarah Theis
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually quite enjoyed this one. It was shocking but thought provoking, humorous and entertaining. And applause for a poetry book with rhyming. Obviously not all poems do, but I was surpised for the variety of poems that were present. Limericks and haikus but still some of the style of now a days poetry is portrayed.
It was nice though not
Having every
Page be
This.
😂😂😂😂 if the whole book is like that I feel like.... Idk like they are trying to hard? That it's just wisdom and thoughts with
Alana • thebookishchick
The only poem I related to was the one that said to lock your bathroom door even when your home alone so that if a murderer is in your house you have time to pull your pants up and die with dignity 🤷🏻♀ ...more
Erin W
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
THIS WAS AMAZINGGG
Dylan
Oct 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely one of the worst garbage-fire pieces of trash I've ever read. I don't know how this got published.
Conor
Jan 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Embarrassingly bad, with the ab/ab rhyme scheme poems registering as particularly cringeworthy. Read the top two reviews if you have even the slightest inclination that you'll connect with this trite potboiler.
Kevin (Irish Reader)
I didn't really know what to expect going into this book, only that I knew I loved Gabbie. I am surprised at how I could relate to a number of these poems and how much they reflected how I felt in the past. One poem that stuck out to me was short but effective: "Question" : Are you happy, or are you not sad?
This poem really spoke to me in many ways that I won't get into, but I am just so impressed by Gabbie's poetry, although I'm aware many others may not be. I am no expert when it comes to poet
Emily Park
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am generally not a big reader of poetry, but I found this collection to be really accessible, witty, and touching. Some of the poems are filler (which she readily acknowledges) and some are fluff, but I enjoyed or was moved by the majority of them.
Heather McMillan
Really love the illustrations but for some reason I just didn't grasp on to the style of writing. I guess because I write poetry myself and it was so different I found it hard to enjoy. Love her videos though and her content generally!
Hizatul Akmah
Jan 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
you woke a part of me i thought was dead,
but i guess it was just sleeping.

— nap

i deducted a star every time she mentioned about some of the so called poems are there just to fill the pages because the deadline is approaching,,, i can't believe i've wasted my time on this bs
Nicole
Let me preface this: I love Gabbie; I think she's a brilliant woman, she's funny, smart, and beautiful. However, I don't think writing poems is her cup of tea.

Now, I feel if she would have had a couple years to finish this book, there would have been a book filled with poems of substance, instead of one liners such as "I dunno, yanno?", or tweets found on Twitter at 2am, or even rehashing some of her old vines and adding them in. Some of them worked, but most were just there, as she stated "to
Leore
3.5 stars, I actually really liked this! I’m not a fan of Gabbie nor do I watch her channel at all but I know who she is and therefore wanted to read this poetry collection she released. It was pretty fun, some poems I thought were nice and I’m sure I laughed out loud at one point. On the other hand there were some that I just didn’t understand why she’d include or if they could even be considered poetry or just pure randomness which weren’t... creative or fun? Meh.
Zainab
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
First off let me make it clear that I hate it when youtubers write books because most of them can't read shit and them making money out of the books they've 'written' is completely unfair to the struggling authors out there.
Okay with that being said, I'm so surprised that I liked this book! Gabbie has done an amazing job with her poetry and the illustrations are simply amazing.
diannarhys
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
It was an okay read.
Alexis Jackson
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
The first book I've ever DNF.

If I could give this 0 stars, I would. I'm not familiar with her vines or videos, but if it's anything like this book, I will take a hard PASS.

Yeah, she touches upon some raw, honest topics, but if I could take some tumblr ramblings, break them up into stanzas, and make it rhyme, this is what it would be. This isn't poetry.

The cute drawings aren't enough to keep me reading, and while the jargon of today does exist, her use of it in her "poems" does not connect me to
Marco
I had no expectations when I started this book and still, all I can think is: honestly, who let this be published? In every single page, I felt like I was reading an ordinary tumblr post or a tweet (I’ve actually read some tweets that are way closer to poetry than this) - it is my fault I read this though, I already suspected it would be underwhelming, just not this bad. Would certainly not recommend Adultolescence, unless you want to see what poor/flat writing looks like.
Joey Jordan
There were some poems in this book that were well-written and thought provoking. Unfortunately, I felt that a majority of the poems were fillers or ripped off Tumblr posts.
April Reading Assignment 1 2 Apr 30, 2019 09:59PM
November Reading Assignment 1 6 Nov 29, 2018 07:36PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Adultolescence Starting September 12th, 2018 13 10 Sep 18, 2018 08:23AM

• Exits, Desires, and Slow Fires
  • Nature Poem
  • Ubiquitous: Celebrating Nature's Survivors
  • Afterglow of Creation: Decoding the message from the beginning of time
  • Plum
  • QI: The Third Book of General Ignorance (Qi: Book of General Ignorance)
  • Almost Forever
  • We Come Apart
  • Secrets of the Universe in 100 Symbols
  • A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children
  • Never Stop Shutting Up: A Book of Advice and Other Things You Didn't Ask For
  • The No You Never Listened To
  • Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars: Space Poems and Paintings
Gabbie Hanna is an American YouTuber with over 6,000,000 subscribers. She is the author of Adultolescence, a comedian, actress, and singer-songwriter.
“are you happy, or are you not sad?” 26 likes
“everyone’s asking if i’m feeling okay. the truth is i’m always feeling this way. i’m just having a hard time disguising it today.” 17 likes