Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)

Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin #9)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  4,277 Ratings  ·  237 Reviews
Agatha Raisin, bald patches from murder-hairdresser, runs away to seaside hotel out of season. Hair tonic and love potion sprouts hairs and attracts police Inspector Jimmy Jessop. But supplier "witch" Francie Juddle drips blood on bed from fatal wound. Agatha investigates the graying guests Daisy, Jennifer, Mary, Harry, while dreaming of marriage already.
Published June 29th 2006 by Robinson Publishing (first published December 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden, please sign up.

Its Story Time Agatha's cleaning woman, Mrs. Doris Simpson keeps Scrabble. I can't remember where you see this. It might be in the next book in the series.

Barbara

After a vengeful hairdresser washes Agatha Raisin's hair with dipilatory rather than shampoo, the partially bald amateur detective - embarassed to be seen in her Carsely village - goes to Wyckhadden for a vacation. Agatha checks into the Garden Hotel, whose only residents are a coterie of elderly retirees who like to gossip and play Scrabble. Agitating about her unsightly head, Agatha is advised to consult Francie Juddle - a Wyckhadden psychic ('witch') who also sells revitalizing potions. Agath
Jules
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super series! I've been reading this series on and off for quite a few years now. Having read 18 books so far, I struggle to remember details of each book individually, so this is a general review.

This is such an enjoyable modern day Miss Marple. Agatha Raisin is so annoying at times, I've felt the desire to shake sense into her. Despite that, I can't help but like her. These books are filled with murder, mystery, quirky characters, country living and village gossip. I find they make quite a goo
Fiona
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I can never get enough of Agatha. The more I read of her, the more I love her. Returning to her world is like being snuggled up cozily with a blanket and a cup of tea, it's ultimate comfort reading. This time, Agatha is on the case trying to solve the murder of a local witch whilst staying in a Victorian hotel with numerous oddballs. Could one of them be the killer? And will she ever find love?
Sara
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cozy mystery, mystery, British Cozy
Clever, Funny, British-cozy

Number 9 in the Agatha Raisin series, and this is one of my Agatha favorites! Murders follow Agatha wherever she goes and in this book she goes to the cold wintery coast of Wyckhadden. She is escaping James Lacey as she does not want him to see her hair--which she lost in her last mystery.

She knows from the start that she has made a mistake with Wyckhadden-everyone at the hotel is an old blue hair! She, being in her fifties is twenty years younger and cannot face the t
Berit☀️✨
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha is off again trying to get over James... this author definitely uses the same names over and over again, her ex-husband or dead husband was named Jimmy... and her sort of love interest in this book is named Jimmy, meanwhile the guy she has been obsessing on throughout the series is named James....Agatha suffered some hair loss at the end of the last book, so one of the other people staying at the hotel she is staying at recommends she sees the local witch... so she does and gets a hair gr ...more
Kate
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: Simon
Shelves: 2015-books
Agatha Raisin goes on vacation and murder follows her. She headed to a seaside town to try and get over her neighbor, James Lacey. There are several murders and Agatha becomes engaged to the very nice policeman, Jimmy Jessop. Agatha stumbles upon the solution to the murders and Jimmy finds out her true nature. Agatha returns home, trying to figure out what to do next with her life.
Agatha Raisin is not the nicest person and she is almost completely self absorbed, but I truly enjoy her as a break
Cyndi
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agatha heads to a beach side town to allow her hair to grow back and discovers a lot of old nutters. But, of course, murder follows. I love Agatha, but I would turn 'Typhoid Mary' away if she came to my wee town. Every where she goes, people start dying.
An Odd1
Apr 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
1-2* "There was an aching pain where her heart should be" p 196. Gloomy place, unhappy Aggie. Suits when you're in a teary mood. Not my favorite of series. Men rush over too often, mess up more than help. Aggie repeats problems, calls vicar's wife Mrs Bloxby, departs early to visit her.

Agatha Raisin, bald patches from murder-hairdresser in last case, flees Lilac Lane Cotswold cottage for out of season seaside Garden Hotel, managed by Mr Martin. Daisy refers Agatha to "witch" Frances Juddle, who
Kaye
Considering I'm on my 9th book in the series you would think I would give a higher recommendation. The writing is just okay and the mysteries are kind of by the book. But I do like Agatha and the characters that surround her. There is something about an aging, pushy, ex-PR executive that no one likes much that is appealing. Add into to the mix her unrequited love for man next door, the setting in the Cotswolds and a little death and mayhem and it makes for great light reading. This book had Agat ...more
Andrew
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the more enjoyable books in this series. These are always quick reads and usually have a good mystery behind them. Whilst I wouldn't say I like the main character (I don't think you are meant to) she does get herself into some humorous scrapes but always (somehow) comes out working out who the killer is.
Maria Thermann
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin, author M C Beaton's splendidly flawed heroine and amateur sleuth, goes on holiday in an English seaside resort in the middle of winter to escape the loneliness of her Cotswold cottage and the cold shoulder her erstwhile paramour James Lacey, now her neighbour, keeps giving her. There's also the embarrassment over her bald patches to be considered.

Wyckhadden's grand Garden Hotel is a genteel place where well-to-do elderly residents while away their evenings playing Scrabble and not
Nancy
Oct 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No matter how much I adore Agatha Raisin, some books just aren’t as good as others. This is one of those that missed the mark for me. A little on the boring side with very little momentum to keep the storyline moving forward.

Since Agatha had quite the hair incident at the end of Wizard of Evesham, she has decided to take a holiday to the seaside town of Wyckhadden. She needs a break from her life and most definitely a break from James Lacey.

What she finds is a small hotel with horrible elderly
Jill Tool
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Star Reviews. Agatha is back only this time she heads to a vacation spot for some R & R and also to hide from those that know her, because she has lost her hair! She hears of a “witch” that has a potion for everything you would need, so off she goes to get something for her hair to be back, while in the shop she also picks up some lover potion. Soon after she makes her purchase, the “witch” is found dead. And our beloved Agatha can’t keep her nose out of trouble, and she is dying to try ou ...more
Rosemary
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an audiobook. I gobble up these Agatha Raisin books. She can't seem to make good decisions. She is terribly smart, but seems to make most of her choices from the heart. It makes for a good story because she is always getting into a mess. Usually a funny mess. I look forward to reading/listening to them all!
Bettie☯
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a, cosy-mystery
More "jolly good fun" with another Agatha Raisin mystery novel, this time in a gloomy seaside town, out of season. Very light reading, but that's all I can manage when I'm not on holiday.
Sheila
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Agatha Raisin. She even gets into trouble while on vacation.
Judie
This is my first experience with Agatha Raisin. I can't decide about her. By the end of the book I thought she got just what she deserved. I'm not sure if I want to experience more of her or not.
Sarah Morgan
For the next trick - please conjure up a better story

This was a disappointing instalment in the Agatha Raisin series. The story was badly paced with a slow start and middle, rushed end and the murders too close together. The lack of drama could have been compensated for with interesting character insight. Instead, the characters lack substance, likeability or in a couple of cases both.

Mary and Jennifer's toxic, co-dependent relationship had potential but we didn't get ultimate, concrete proof of
Roz Curney-Sherod
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cozy readers
This is book number nine in the Agatha Raisin series, a middle aged (50 ish) british woman who's kind of abrasive with no tack at all! I love Agatha and have been reading this series in order, except for last Christmas when I decided to read the holiday installment. I've been away from this series for awhile but it didn't take long before I remembered what happened in the last book with Agatha's hair. This is a Clever, Funny, British-cozy that puts a smile on your face and at the same time makes ...more
Linda C
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, european
A vengeful hairdresser used a depilatory instead of shampoo on Agatha and her hair is growing back in blotches. She decides to vacation at the shore while her hair is growing. One of the permanent elderly residents at the hotel tells her of a 'witch' who makes potions and Agatha goes to her for a hair growth potion, but comes away with a love potion as well. But the next day the witch is murdered and everyone who has gone to her is a suspect. Throw in an Inspector to try the love potion on and h ...more
Emi
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha, having lost her hair in the last novel thanks to a murderous hairdresser, has retreated to a seaside resort off-season to recover. While there, she discovers a witch, another chance at love, and a motley crew of oldsters who become suspects to yet another murder. Can Agatha find out who killed the witch of Wyckhadden, and will she ever get her hair back? Another fun outing for Agatha with a different set of characters.
Pinky
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-17
This was a tense one! Agatha stumbles into a hotel straight out of Grey Gardens with a merry band of eccentric ?!? geriatrics obsessed with Scrabble and maintaining their boring yet reliable lifestyle. Enter a witch and fortune teller and the death toll starts to rise. New love interest for Agatha.
Kate
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quaint and dated. I keep hearing about Agatha Raisin and how wonderful these books are. I have to say that I found Agatha a wee bit annoying and dated. It was a fast read though so it wasn't too bad. Highly recommend as a beach read.
Beth Stewart
This is the 2nd agatha raisin book that I have read and didn't enjoy either. The plot is good ... it's the main character who is so in-likeable. She is a self-centred, nasty person who is impossible to like
Cliff
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not much can be said about trhe Agatha Raisin series. She stumbles into a murder, gets into trouble with the police, helps solve the murder. The books are a bit like a comfortable pair of slippers, nice and cosy in front of the fire. I shall go on reading them.
icaro
stavolta è quasi un vero giallo. God bless Agatha
Kat Walter
Agatha escapes to an off season hotel to grow her hair back. Bumbles in to still more murders as she tries hair and love potions.
Michelle
Agatha cannot catch a break with her love life . She can still catch a murderer though!
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3)
  • Never the Bride (Brenda and Effie Mystery #1)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings (Mrs. Jeffries, #26)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • The Goldsmith's Daughter (Roger the Chapman, #10)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11)

“What an advertisement for euthanasia, thought Agatha sourly.” 0 likes