Start by marking “Vengeance (A Darkhurst Novel)” as Want to Read:

Gail Z. Martin

Vengeance

(Darkhurst #2)

Brothers. Outlaws. Saviours.

Rigan and Corran Valmonde are not heroes. They are undertakers, lawbreakers, and monster hunters. Without them, the town of Ravenwood is finished.

But the more successful Rigan and Corran become at destroying the creatures, the more a greater evil is revealed – one larger and more monstrous than they ever could imagine…

Published April 10th 2018 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about Vengeance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vengeance

Start your review of Vengeance (A Darkhurst Novel)
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Stephen King once said that if you don't know what your characters' characteristics are, put them in a random, dangerous situation. Well I think Gail Z. Martin really listened to that kind of advice because my reading belly is satisfied.

What a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I found this gem under the horror section of NetGalley, but I feel that it's a genre all on its own. Vengeance is a psychological thriller that dabbles in
urban and epic fantasy, but at its heart it is a horror. Why? This
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Dig in for a very action filled ride. The Valmonde brothers have much on their plate and much riding behind them. This was truly a journey with magic, action, fantasy.

In this city-state of Ravenwood what you don't see can kill, but its those you see that could and would create the deeper danger. These blood magic, monsters, princes, power-hunger-individuals, brothers, friends, and more all find that there are things that are much more darker than what you see or what you thought you saw.

The
Patti Holland
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very powerful!!

I couldn’t put this book down. It has magic of all kinds, monsters you’ve never heard of before, ancient gods battling each other, and an epic battle to save the world with our heroes coming out on top. What more could you want!!

Julie
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant book from Gail Martin who writes characters I love. The boy's are back but this time they've teamed up with friends and are on the run, hunting monsters just to get by and hiding from the law. This is supernatural meets medieval, this is a must read for anyone who enjoys fantasy fiction, can't wait for the next instalment.
Susan
Note: While this is Book 2 in the series, it works mostly well as a stand alone. I stepped into it not knowing it was Book 2 and picked up the important backstory bits with ease.

The Valmonde brothers remind me quite a bit of Dean and Sam Winchester from that TV show Supernatural, though they are quite a bit more serious and the story takes itself more seriously. Corran is the warrior and very protective of his brother, Rigan (who is a witch & much more sensitive in general). They are quite
Cath
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of the Darkhurst series and is another long read, just short of six hundred pages. But, don’t let this put you off. It is a fantastic read with numerous well described monsters for Corran and Rigan, both former undertakers, to fight off along with their fellow hunters. All were once working in Guild jobs or in service, until the events of book one, Scourge: A Darkhurst Novel, took place and they had to leave the city.

Corran had been fighting the monsters that killed their
Andrew
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gail topped her first installment in the lives of the Valmonde brothers in Vengeance. The brothers return, after surviving hoardes of monsters in the first book to face even greater challenges. They've lost everything, and are currently evading the authorities of Ravenwood, while simultaneously protecting the town's citizens from these monsters. Three brothers and their comrades hide out from authorities hellbent on capturing the brothersand killing their friends. The politics in the novel ...more
Holley
Jul 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF at 25%

I don't like reviewing books that I didn't finish, so rather than commenting on the whole work (which wouldn't be fair of me), I'll make a few notes of why I stopped reading.

- The characters were not interesting. They seemed cliche and flat.

- The conflict was weak. When the characters were out hunting monsters, there would be a few lines of action, and then the action is cut off with several scenes of the aftermath. This caused pacing problems. It read like this: quickly resolved
Suzanne
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having loved book 1 Scourge, I was lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC of Vengeance at no cost to the author and it really delivered!
Following the events of Scourge,the Valmonde brothers and their friends are living as outlaws hunting monsters and just trying to survive. On top of this they discover a new plot is afoot to bring even more monsters and darkness into Ravenwood and they must figure out how to stop it.
What makes this series stand out is the politics the author has created.You
Andi
The next installment of Gail Z. Martin's Darkhurst series is just as epic as the first. Vengeance has it all, monsters, both human and otherwise, magic, love, loss, political intrigue and heroic sacrifice.

Vengeance picks up right where we left our outlaws at the end of Scourge. The saying may be "There's no rest for the wicked." but there's also no rest for our heroes. You would think that toppling a powerful blood witch and the Lord Mayor would have earned them a vacation, but nope. Just more
Cheryl
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an interesting book! I do not usually follow politics but this book has it’s own brand of politics/ greed. Why is it money and politics go hand in hand? We have the Valmonde brothers and friends trying to rid their world of monsters that keep appearing. The mystery is why are they appearing and to what purpose do they serve? We have mystery with lots of subplots and twists, a bit of romance and not much humor. Lots of action and bits of sorrow where friends pass away.
The story flows along
Amy
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gail Martin is a master of creating characters and stories you just can’t stop reading. This second book in the Darkhurst series does not disappoint. As the brothers and their family of fellow “criminals” survive outside the city by hunting down monsters, they uncover a plot to continue the corrupt policies and blood magic practices of the ruling merchant princes. I normally have trouble reading books with a lot of politics in them but this series is an exception to that. I couldn’t put it down. ...more
Katie
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
WARNING: Extremely gruesome book

* Received an ARC from Hidden Gems in exchange for an honest review *

It only took me 4 days to read this but it feels much longer. I was really enjoying this book at first but it became a real chore to finish. I have nothing against long books, in fact the longer the better, so I think the reason this became a slog was because it was basically the same thing happening again and again, fight after fight, just with different monsters.

Another reason I may not have
 Nyarlathotep Twelfth Month The Haunted Reading Room
Steven Wendell
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good second chapter

I enjoy the dark setting and kingdom. It was a good continuation of the brothers and friends fleeing their city to go rogue in the out county being vigilante monster hunters and savior to the common people. I don't want to give any spoilers but the epic magical fight to seal a breach between planes was awesome.
Charlotte
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was really quite disappointed by this second book. It was very repetitive - the same sort of scenes happened over and over again and they were very disconnected. I didn't fully understand some of the magic - I found it difficult to read and this isn't something which is a problem for me. It's a shame because I loved the first one and I love the characters.
Jim Smith
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
. I have enjoyed the undertaker battles and can't wait to see what happens to alive.

Enjoyable read and nicely done, I have enjoyed this series and others by the author and look forward to see what's next. Keep writing Gail, I for one can't put your books down.
Danielle Romans
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Phenomenal. Everything Gail does leaves me in awe. The end of the story was a tiny bit anticlimactic but I still loved it. Wonderful.
Jim
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story can't wait to read the next
irvin r russell
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It well worth reading .

You are kept on edge and wondering what will happens next which is what you want in a book. She knows how to make you want more in her books.
Susan
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Valmonde brother are back with the second installment of the new fantasy series by Gail Z. Martin. On the run from the authorities of Ravenwood, the brothers (having been "blessed" by an Old God) and their band of monster hunters are roaming the country side killing monsters as they go. Rigan is still learning about the use and extent of his magic without killing himself in the process. Searching for the rogue monster hunters is the former head of security for mayor Machison is Hant ...more
Nick Sampson
Jan 13, 2019
Josh Peel
Sep 02, 2018

• The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Badlands (Badlands, #1)
  • The Empire of Ashes (The Draconis Memoria, #3)
  • Gladiator - The Making of the Ridley Scott Epic
  • How It Feels to Float
  • Gladiator
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
  • A Kingdom Rises (Crown of Three #3)
  • By Cunning & Craft: Sound Advice and Practical Wisdom for Fiction Writers
  • The Best of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet
  • Brother, I'm Dying
  • Rise of the Dungeon Master: Gary Gygax and the Creation of D&D
  • Into the Woods: A Five Act Journey Into Story
  • The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons, #1)
  • Unexpected Destiny
  • My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales
  • Shadow of the Exile (The Infernal Guardian #1)
  • The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia
Gail Z. Martin discovered her passion for science fiction, fantasy and ghost stories in elementary school. The first story she wroteat age fivewas about a vampire. Her favorite TV show as a preschooler was Dark Shadows. At age 14, she decided to become a writer. She enjoys attending science fiction/fantasy conventions, Renaissance fairs and living history sites. She is married and has three ...more

Darkhurst (2 books)