Start by marking “Every Breath You Take (Under Suspicion, #5)” as Want to Read:
Every Breath You Take (Under Suspicion, #5)

Every Breath You Take

(Under Suspicion #5)

“Queen of Suspense” Mary Higgins Clark and Alafair Burke are back with their fourth book in the New York Times bestselling Under Suspicion series; Every Breath You Take follows television producer’s Laurie Moran investigation of the unsolved Met Gala murder—in which a wealthy widow was pushed to her death from the famous museum’s rooftop.

Laurie Moran’s professional life is
Published November 7th 2017 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Every Breath You Take, please sign up.
Alafair Burke They can be read in any order, and you can read this without knowing anything about the previous stories. However, the relationships among the charact…moreThey can be read in any order, and you can read this without knowing anything about the previous stories. However, the relationships among the characters do evolve over time. Thanks!(less)
Sarah Novak I'm trying to write carefully, I don't want to potentially give any spoilers. I think I've done okay. I'll just say this ... read the book and stick w…moreI'm trying to write carefully, I don't want to potentially give any spoilers. I think I've done okay. I'll just say this ... read the book and stick with the series. Alex appears in this story. Laurie is continuing to explore her relationship and her career with him. So, the question of her relationship with Alex explored. The cold case and a new co-worker turn out to be interesting catalysts in her life. So, just jump into the story -- it is a REALLY interesting mystery and watch as Laurie works through her life and Alex works on his -- and go along for the ride! A lot of the characters have growth in this book.(less)

Start your review of Every Breath You Take (Under Suspicion, #5)
Julie
Every Breath You Take by Mary Higgins Clark and Alafair Burke is a 2017 Simon & Schuster publication.

This fifth installment in the “Under Suspicion’ series has Laurie reluctantly agreeing to investigate a cold case suggested to her by her new co-host, Ryan, who is still an insufferable jerk.

The case involves Ivan, a fitness guru, suspected of murdering his much older lover for money. Charges were never brought, but the man lives under a constant shadow of suspicion and wants to see his name cl
Brenda
Every Breath You Take is the 5th in the Under Suspicion series by Mary Higgins Clark and Alafair Burke and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Laurie Moran runs a television show called Under Suspicion where she works, with the team, on solving cold cases. This one revolved around wealthy widow, Virginia Wakeling and her murder at the Metropolitan Museum of Art on the night of an annual fundraiser. A man, Ivan Gray, twenty years younger and Virginia’s current love interest was the main suspect in her murde ...more
Louise Wilson
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the 5th book in the Under Suspicion series.

For me, this was not the best book by Mary Higgins Clark that I have read (and I've read all her books). She has teamed up with Alafair Burke to write this series. I do like all the main characters in this series but the suspects in this book all seemed to have a motive but not really anything concrete to go on (apart from inheritance) to back it up. I did guess correctly from early on who the culprit was. This won't put me off reading more from
Erin
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, books-i-own
Okay, the Queen of Suspense who earned a 2 star from me the other day, has definitely been redeemed. Of course, Laurie Moran is a well established character in this series that Clark co-writes with Alafair Burke. Perhaps it is this collaboration between the two that makes this text tighter and more reminiscent of Clark's past books. I felt myself instantly immersed in the story that just kept building the tension to a satisfying conclusion.
Monnie
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've now read four of the authors' Under Suspicion series, and quite honestly, I've enjoyed every one. Some of my enthusiasm, I know, comes from the media angle; I spent years in the industry, albeit on the print side of the desk - so if it involves news reporting, I'm all in. That said, holding my interest goes well beyond the setting; a solid story and relatable characters need to be in the mix as well.

And they are. Mind you, I'd call all these books lightweights when it comes to blood-and-gut
Sherri Thacker
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not sure how this can only be my 3rd book I’ve read by Mary Higgins Clark since she’s been around forever but it is. This grabbed me from page 1 and I was able to read it in one day while laying around the house with a sore throat. It was good, nothing great.
Tamara
I absolutely love the duo of Mary Higgins Clark and Alafair Burke. Between them- they create books that combine my favorite things about each of the writer's style.

In Every Breath You Take- there are def some red herrings. It seems that many people have a motive. I love it when that happens!

I just soaked up the story- wasn't really trying to figure out where the story was going- just enjoyed the ride!
Suzanne
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one was fascinating and very fast paced. The older, rich woman in a relationship with a younger man attaches readers to the story right away, then you throw in the murder and spoiled, entitled children. You just keep guessing who done it and are left with a whoa moment. I thought this was one of the best of the series so far.

My quick and simple overall: intriguing, quick read.
Tim
Feb 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Less than satisfying. 2 of 10 stars
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
2 stars. I read many of her early books before I started Goodreads. Her earlier books were full of twists. This one was too easy to figure it. Read her earlier books if your look for a good mystery book.

🇺🇸🦋
Amanda McGill
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
A nice, quick easy read.

The 5th full novel of the Under Suspicion series is similar to the previous novels. Lorie is working on the next case for her Under Suspicion TV series. Her host, brings her a new case that is only from a few years ago. 68 year old, Virginia Wakeling, fell to her death, at a Met gala and of course her younger boyfriend was the only suspect. He was never charged and wants to clear his name.

I wasn't as confident with the murderer as I was the previous novel, but I slowly p
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
TITLE: Every Breath You Take
AUTHOR: Mary Higgins Clark and Alafair Burke
PUBLICATION DATE: 11.07.2017 by Simon & Schuster
SERIES: Book 5, Under Suspicion Series
READ: 01.2018
FORMAT: ebook from Barnes and Noble via NOOK (Samsung Galaxy Tab4 Nook device)
GENRE/KEYWORDS: series, mystery, murder mystery, adult fiction, fiction, New York, crime, NYPD, Metropolitan Museum, The Met, Met Galley, New York City (little romance in there ☺️).
MY GOODREADS RATING (0-5 star scale): 4 stars

BRIEF REMARKS:

Mary Higgi
Sarah B
For some reason it took me awhile to get into this book...I'm not sure why. But I often felt distracted while reading it and my mind kept wondering. Maybe it was something to do with the writing style or the characters? Sometimes you can't exactly put your finger on the exact cause. The book did seem to improve in the second half of the story and I did get a bit interested then, but I'm still going to rate it only three stars.

I guess I had thought the book would be more suspenseful? The front co
Minty McBunny
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, november-2017
I really enjoy this series. I’m so-so on Alafair Burke’s solo work and I often feel that MHC is calling it in for the last decade or so, but it seems like they sharpen each other by working together and have created an enjoyable cast of characters as well as a tidy structure for each book (the show makes a neat way to keep new cases and fresh bad guys coming to Laurie’s life). It’s not great literature, but it’s fun and entertaining.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I've read all but book #2 in the Under Suspicion series. It's a good series and this was a quick fast read. I really like the characters of Loran Moran and Alex Buckley. And I like to hate Alex's replacement host and Ms. Moran's boss. There were definite points in the story in which I just got irritated by Ms. Moran's boss and his male chauvinistic tendencies. A little too much of the reality we still deal with.
Ellen
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, adult-fiction
I liked this more than book 4 in the series, but still not quite as much as books 2 and 3. I didn't have a clear idea who the killer was until close to the reveal, so that was good. Sort of spoiler: I'm glad they've resolved the Laurie/Alex issues that I think have plagued this book and the last. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series that comes out later this year.
Laurel-Rain
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Laurie Moran’s professional life is a success—her television show Under Suspicion is a hit, both in the ratings and its record of solving cold cases. But her romantic break from former host Alex Buckley has left her with on-air talent she can’t stand—Ryan Nichols—and a sense of loneliness, despite her loving family.

Now Ryan has suggested a new case. Three years ago, Virginia Wakeling, a member of the Board of Trustees of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and one of the museum’s most generous donors
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounded down. Glad to see that ending, it seemed weird in the previous book. Fun, light read. Less character development than in previous books in the series.
Carol Irvin
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy MHC’s books!!
Donna Hines
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Quite fitting to have a Tv show entitled," Under Suspicion" led by Laurie Moran solving cold cases.
Everything seemed fine until Ryan Nichols her on air talent partner appeared on scene to recommend a new case involving a 3y earlier case known as 'Met Gala Murder'.
During the process of uncovering 'who dun it'( which was much like the game 'Clue' ) we go from the boardroom to the bedroom and beyond with the candlestick and iron and everything in between.
Many different scenarios with colorful char
Joann
“Queen of Suspense” Mary Higgins Clark and Alafair Burke are back with their fourth book in the Under Suspicion series. I've followed all the books but felt left down a bit by this one. It just didn't seem to have the punch that the other books did. Plus I found the ending to be a bit too over the top. You escape an almost near death episode and still go out to dinner? I normally give a 4 star for her books but this one only gets a 3.
Michelle
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
As always, nothing you'd not expect from Mary Higgins Clark. I like the new characters and the ongoing series.
Donna
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Laurie Moran produces a hit TV show called Under Suspicion in which she takes a cold, unsolved case and re-investigates to try to find the true killer. Three years ago, a wealthy New York philanthropist is thrown over the roof of the Metropolitan Museum of Art during a huge gala. The family has always contended the killer was the woman's much younger boyfriend but he was never charged. The boyfriend has always suspected the family due to their inheritances and Laurie will open it all up again wi ...more
Kristina Rasmussen
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one was harder for me to get into, but I still felt like I had to race to the end to finish! I left feeling happy and wishing the next one was ready to read!
Tgordon
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not good... daytime soap opera bad. I love Clark but I think it’s a stretch to call her anything like suspense or thrill these days.
Kathy
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Good story and characters, dragged a bit in some places.
Rebecca Giordano
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this! I love how the chapter format is short, but it still feels like you received a lot of info in them. And even though this is the 5th book in the series, I noticed how easy this read. Instead of feeling like you were missing out from not reading the other books, even though previous events were referenced from other books, it was more like reading the characters for the first time. And not so much feeling like you have to play catch up the whole book. That to me is talent!
Chris
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A light, quick read. I’ve read MHC with and without AB and I usually have enjoyed her reads a little bit more than this one.

The plot starts out with an accident/murder of a wealthy family member and trustee at the Met and in a descriptive sense, it was a good start. All family members and friends of course are suspects but the case remains a cold case. Fingers point to the young, virile, boyfriend of the wealthy widow whom the survivors of the family never approved of the relationship and of the
Ina
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I haven't read the previous books in this series, but I'm not sure I've missed much. The plot was interesting enough to keep me reading, but just barely. I found the main character, Laurie Moran, was a bit petty and indecisive which made it difficult to believe that she would be a highly regarded producer/creator of a reality show which solves cold cases. The writing style was annoying to me - simplistic and dialog between characters choppy and obvious.
Kristy
Mar 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What utter rubbish...
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine these two editions 2 13 May 01, 2019 10:54AM
Punta Gorda Page ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. March 28, 2019 book 1 4 Sep 01, 2018 10:10AM
Goodreads Librari...: add dutch edition to series 3 12 Aug 02, 2018 03:51AM
Goodreads Librari...: Those books should be linked... 2 21 Dec 25, 2017 12:13PM

• The Better Sister
  • All Day and a Night (Ellie Hatcher, #5)
  • The Wife
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • The 17th Suspect (Women's Murder Club, #17)
  • Angel's Tip (Ellie Hatcher #2)
  • Dead Connection (Ellie Hatcher #1)
  • Play Dirty
  • The 18th Abduction (Women's Murder Club, #18)
  • If You Were Here
  • Private Delhi (Private, #13)
  • The Ex
  • The People vs. Alex Cross (Alex Cross, #25)
  • Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher, #4)
  • Fifty Fifty (Detective Harriet Blue, #2)
  • 20th Victim (Women's Murder Club, #20)
  • 212 (Ellie Hatcher #3)
  • Feared (Rosato & DiNunzio, #6)
The #1 New York Times bestselling author Mary Higgins Clark has written thirty-eight suspense novels, four collections of short stories, a his­torical novel, a memoir, and two children’s books. With bestselling author Alafair Burke she wrote the Under Suspicion series. With her daughter Carol Higgins Clark, she has coauthored five more suspense novels.

Clark’s books have sold more than 100 milli

Under Suspicion (6 books)
  • I've Got You Under My Skin (Under Suspicion, #1)
  • The Cinderella Murder (Under Suspicion, #2)
  • All Dressed in White (Under Suspicion, #3)
  • The Sleeping Beauty Killer (Under Suspicion, #4)
  • You Don't Own Me (Under Suspicion, #6)