Start by marking “Measures of Absolution (Frontlines, #2.2)” as Want to Read:
Measures of Absolution (Frontlines, #2.2)

Measures of Absolution

(Frontlines #2.2)

In the aftermath of the Battle of Detroit, Corporal Jackson finds out how the 365th AIB got a mauling in the Public Residence Clusters, and why the Territorial Army may have lost control over a big chunk of Detroit.

A novella in the Terms of Enlistment universe.
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 2 pages
Published July 29th 2016 by Brilliance Audio (first published October 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Measures of Absolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Measures of Absolution

Mike (the Paladin)
This short story is a follow up or sequel to the Battle of Detroit in M. Kloos' Terms of Enlistment which I just read. From the point of view of another TA trooper (Corporal Jackson) we get to look at some events that follow the events in the novel, and what they presage.

Having survived the battle where for the first time TA troops were badly bloodied by (apparent) civilian "welfare" rioters (welfare rats) she's the only one of her squad still on her feet. What she hasn't told anyone, including
Laura Larson
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: october-2018
A game-changing novella in the Frontlines universe. More accurately numbered 1.2, this occurs alongside Grayson's injury as a TA in book 1 but very much before book 2 begins. However, it does serve to make me even MORE eager to get on to book 3 already! Again, Kloos is wonderful at portraying emotion without making things TOO emotional and frilly. Often when I read things I really enjoy, I advocate for them being made into screen media as well just so I have more people to fangirl to. This, thou ...more
Guy Wheatley
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a side trip into the Frontlines series and takes us back to the slums of Detroit. It gives us an idea of what is happening back on earth while Grayson and the NAC fleet are fighting Lankies. I’ll take what I can get and this was a hold-me-over until the next book in the series comes out. An enjoyable read, but I kept wondering what was happening out in space the whole time I was reading.
stormin
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I've been reading some more short-fiction extras from my favorite series. It's a mixed bag so far. From The Expanse, I loved The Churn but I found Gods of Risk and The Vital Abyss so be superfluous. From Frontlines, I absolutely loved Lucky Thirteen (even though it was really short), but I found Measures of Absolution to be somewhere between Gods of Risk / The Vital Abyss (kind of superfluous) and The Churn / Lucky Thirteen (essential.)

This is a story that fills in some gaps in the main series,
Jason
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story that looks at Corporal Jackson after the TAs shocking defeat in Detroit, and the loss of several of their team. She is not able to deal with the losses, and is suffering from Survivors Guilt as she is the only member of her unit that came away basically untouched, the rest either suffering severe injury or death.
As a result, she starts going stir crazy, and sets off to find those responsible for tearing up her unit.
She ends up side-tracked though, and on another mission, ba
Janna
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a stand alone story

This novella is a glimpse into a choice made by one of the peripheral characters of the first or second Front Lines book (who is then mentioned again near the end of the series, probably book four). The writing is just as solid and engaging as the primary series. I am rating this review one star less because of its brevity. The short length limits the amount of information presented, which in turn causes a disjointed narrative. There are two completely different plots that
Sineala
This novella adds some much-needed background to Terms of Enlistment, the first in the series: namely, what was up with the fighting in Detroit? This was what I kept asking myself throughout the first book, so it was nice to get a bit of resolution here.

The story is told from the perspective of Jackson, one of Grayson's fellow soldiers; not that it really matters, as the inside of her head sounds pretty much like the inside of Grayson's head, who in turn sounds pretty much like Halley, who got h
Leslie
Eh. This novella was a mess, but if I assume Jackson was suffering from post-Detroit shell-shock, I can accept it. The issue I think I have here is that there are two real story arcs happening in the series overall, the (mostly backstory, except when it's not) human wars/competition for resources on Earth and the fight against the Lankies. The first story line, which is what this novella was about, doesn't catch my attention. The most interesting part was the description of organization that the ...more
Rob Hall
Strong Start, Weak Finish

Great concept - another possible perspective of a crucial moment in "Terms of Enlistment", and following another character who was in the clusterf@ck in Detroit. Unfortunately, the rest of the story loses depth and credibility. The good corporal locates the family of a "welfare rat" (civilian) that she killed, discovers that said rat was formerly in the military, and yet makes no effort to determine WHY she went over to the other side - after going to all the trouble to
Stephen Graham
As a stand-alone work, it's not satisfying. It takes a character from Terms of Enlistment, follows her for a bit while she investigates an event, but doesn't truly resolve anything. If Jackson re-appears in the series in a later installment, this may have minor value. Otherwise, it's just an unresolved vignette.
Titus Fortner
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I found this one much more interesting than Lucky 13. The events are set before book 2, but for reasons ((view spoiler)), I definitely recommend reading this novella after book 2. The story is interesting, there is a solid dollop of action, and lots of worthwhile introspection.
Clarence M C Mercer
WAY TOO SHORT FOR THE PRICE

I thought the story line was good but it was incomplete. The ending left too many loose ends: the character development was not satisfying, the situation was unresolved and the military training missed vital elements that did not make sense. If a soldier has command and control information on an opposing force and can get sights on, he or she must take the shot. I'd like my money back.
G33z3r
Side-story in Kloos's Frontiles series; new protagonist. Starts with an alternate PoV from the 1st book in series, terms of Enlistment, then goes off into new material around the time of book 2, Lines of Departure.

Coincidentally, I am also reading a Le Guin collection at the moment, and I noted from her introduction, "Often it seems that the more action there is, the less happens." Apt of this story: lots and lots of gunfire and grenades, only a dozen pages where anything real happens.
Alan Laird
This novella was enjoyable like the author's other books but felt oddly packaged. I can't recall a novella that felt so much like a handful of chapters ripped from another book. The novella has little to do with it's description on Amazon and it's all very puzzling.

I see now that it's self-published and it makes sense.

Laurence
Jun 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series is certainly good enough to read every available piece. This piece is quite a different angle which adds a bit more humanity to the action packed core story, very much supplemental.

And I'm holding off as long as I can on reading Points of Impact (Frontlines #6) since after that it'll be a year til the new one.
Vanessa
Another short story but longer than the Lucky 13 one and a better read. I was a little disappointed because it made it seem like it was going to go into the military/government/PRC conspiracy but it just hit the surface. I'm hoping the future books will expand on this.
Shannon Callahan
Good break

This is definitely a good side story. However, I didn't like the end at all. I think the author can do better on that. Also, I am curious whether this side story will go into mini-series...
John T. Dueker
Ok but

If you've read the series there's nothing for you here. Not to say it's not well done, but I just didn't feel like there was enough I didn't already know. So if you haven't read the series then this is a five star short story
david l hutchison
A short but excellent story

Gives a good look at those in the PRCs. Always interesting to see 👀 from the other side. I sometimes wonder how writers do this but then again I am so glad they do.
Carl Nelson
Fast and furious mil sci fi action, with enough glimpses of Jackson's character to have a little more depth. Nice little add-on to the "Terms of Enlistment" universe to whet my appetite for the next installment.
Nancy McLaughlin
Good but....

Not as good as the primary series of books. Maybe I just didn't see the Jackson character quite this way, but she was as fleshed out as other characters. I did appreciate the hint of a history behind Jackson.
Amanda Keiffer
Was enjoyable.

I enjoyed learning more about Jackson's character. The book could be a bit hard to follow at times as the author seemed to switch between using the 1st person and 3rd person perspectives without warning.
Jer Wilcoxen
Another interesting short, but didn't feel like a complete story. Feels like more questions should be answered.
Joe
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
audible version. Short listen with good narration. Provides a little back story for the battle that happened in Detroit. I still feel it leaves some questions unanswered, but it helps.
Bee
Good, answers some questions from the first book, but this novella left me with more irritating questions, and the ending is just... yeah, it just ends...
Kei
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good elaboration...

... Expanding a piece of story.

Enjoyed both learning more about Jackson and seeing the end of the TA disaster from a different angle.
Aaron Anderson
Somewhat unlikable main character plus an annoyingly ambiguous ending gives this 3 stars instead of the 4 it overall would deserve otherwise.
Tobias Wolter
Interesting tidbit, but the story lost its own point at the three quarter mark.
Simon Parent
Feb 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
(you can check my review on book 1, I actually did the review of the 6 first books there)
Shannon Weeden
A quick look at how Corporal Jackson finds and joins the Lazarus Brigade, the PRCs are not what they seem.

• Ride the Rising Tide (The Maxwell Saga, #2)
  • Bitter Glory (Crimson Worlds #0.6)
  • Omega Night  (Wearing the Cape, #2.5)
  • Planet Strike (Extinction Wars, #2)
  • Deep Navigation
  • The Rising Storm (Exodus: Empires at War, #3)
  • Dead Man's Debt (Poor Man's Fight, #3)
  • Return to Haven (Empire Rising, #3)
  • Stellar Fox (Castle Federation, #2)
  • No Worse Enemy (The Empire's Corps, #2)
  • The Final Battle (Legion, #2)
  • The Burning Eye (War World, #1)
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)

Frontlines (6 books)
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
“She pokes around in her lunch—spaghetti and meatballs—and gets her PDP out of her pocket to read up on the battalion news while she eats.” 0 likes