Start by marking “Stranger No More: A Muslim Refugee’s Story of Harrowing Escape, Miraculous Rescue, and the Quiet Call of Jesus” as Want to Read:

There will be pain ahead, and trouble and problems that I won’t be able to fix on my own.

But in them all, I know God will be there, calling me to look to him. Inviting me to take the next step toward his open arms.

And I will say yes.

And yes.

And yes.

Annahita Parsan was born into a Muslim family in Iran and grew up with the simple hope of one day finding
Published November 14th 2017 by Thomas Nelson

Start your review of Stranger No More: A Muslim Refugee’s Story of Harrowing Escape, Miraculous Rescue, and the Quiet Call of Jesus
Lynn Horton
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this as part of a ladies book club, and we universally agreed that we wouldn't recommend this to a friend. Although the story is a powerful one, this book is very poorly executed. Far too much time is spent on the protagonist's (and I realize that this is a true story, but it reads as if it was ghost-written, as it was) trials and tribulations prior to escaping her abusive husband. Then very little was written about her current life and ministry. It was as if the ghostwriter became overly ...more
Yibbie
Nov 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
It’s a heartbreaking book. She shares so much of the pain she suffered. I found it almost impossible to put down. The majority of the book is about what her life was like before she was saved. She suffered so much heartache and pain. It reminded me of Not Without My Daughter by Betty Mahmoody, but it has a more complex and happier ending. It was wonderful to read of her salvation by faith in Christ.
Unfortunately, I have to strongly caution anyone reading this book about several unbiblical as
Jill Dobbe
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An incredible and harrowing read about a Muslim woman born in Iran who flees her country and makes a new home in Sweden. Annahita Parsan marries a violent man and suffers insurmountable violence while she tries to make a better life for herself and her children. She eventually gets away from him and finds religion.

I was astounded to read about what this author went through in her younger life and managed to survive. To say she is strong and fearless is an understatement. I enjoy reading memoirs
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Iranians can tell a lot about a house by looking at the carpet. In the west it is the art on the walls that reveal a person’s taste, but in Iran the best art is always right beneath your feet. The best carpets come from Isfahan; they are made with silk and can cost thousands of dollars.”

In her memoir Stranger No More Annahita Parson weaves an Iranian carpet of the imagination. She takes her readers on a perilous journey of domestic abuse, imprisonment, widowhood and motherhood, flight and frost
Tonya
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is so much hardship and pain in this world. Annahita's journey from living under a repressive regime to the freedom of life with Jesus is as encouraging as it is hard to read. This book reminded me that freedom of religion is a gift that should not be taken for granted. God is infinitely creative in calling people to Himself and that creativity is on display in the many ways Christians in other cultures respond to Him in worship.
Blake Western
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is as exciting as any novel that you will ever read. And it is true. It documents Annahita Parsan's life in Iran, her life as a refugee, and encounter with Christ. It is a real page-turner!
English
This isn't an easy or 'light' read simply because the author suffered so many tragic and painful experiences of domestic abuse, and even torture in prison.

Ultimately though, its a story of victory and overcoming the odds, as Annahita finally chose not to allow her circumstances to destroy her, and her children. The account of her conversion and later ministry among other Muslim refugees comes only at the end, providing a lovely lesson in how a life can be transformed by God's love.

I have a few
NinaB
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018, netgalley
This is a fascinating story of a woman who endured unimaginable obstacles to escape the cruelty of her culture, religion and husband. The writing is ok and the pace is just fine. I give the first part of it 3-star, but the latter part a 1-star. It is being marketed as a conversion story by a former Muslim, yet that part is not explained in detail. She met kind Christians who helped her along the way, but there was no real explanation of how she realized she needed a Savior.

There was no story ab
Cheri
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
From the beginning of the book to the end, I found Stranger No More by Annahita Parsons nearly impossible to put down. It is difficult to comprehend how a person could endure so much difficulty, abuse, and tragedy. I could feel her struggle and pain throughout, yet she did not over-dramatize any of her experiences (they’re nearly unbelievable as it is). Her story demonstrates the strength of the human spirit even in the most difficult circumstances. From the time she receives a Bible, one can se ...more
Sharon Paavola
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found myself staying up late delving into Annahita's life, her struggles, and her quest for in freedom from abuse and dominion as a Muslim woman. Her childhood in Iran was simple and then her world became complex beyond her wildest imaginations. One day she was married and the next, a widow. Her nightmarish world astonished me. This recollection of what she encountered, endured, and then escaped opened my eyes to a world I can barely comprehend. Not that it isn't believable but that in contras ...more
Julia
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stranger No More by Annahita Parsan is a harrowing and powerful story of her life as a Muslim woman and her transformation into a woman of God.
Growing up in Iran in the 1970's Annahita Parsan remembers her granny who "prayed in fear to an angry God, not out of faith." The country was in turmoil as the Shah was overthrown and replaced by Khomeini.
Two arranged marriages and two children before the age of twenty. Ironically her second marriage was for safety reasons but he turned out to be a monste
Kate Hendrick
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This incredible book was difficult for me to put down. Though this was a very emotionally challenging read, but it is one I am grateful I had the opportunity to experience. The story was both engaging and inspiring. Beyond the content, I thought the way the story was presented was also very good. It was well-written and very much embraced “show, don’t tell.” I also admire that despite her struggles at the hands of Muslims, she never insulted her former religion or attacked the religion itself.

I
Connie
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s hard to put into words all the horrific experiences the author was subjected to at such a young age and for so many years. In spite of all that, she accepted Jesus as her savior and has gone on to make a difference in the lives of so many others. Annahita was raised as a Muslim in Iran. She was abused by her second husband, Asghar, in ways that I can’t even begin to imagine. They end up as refugees in Turkey where they are mistreated and jailed. After that, her husband continues to abuse h ...more
Debbie
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, memoir
"Stranger No More" is the memoir of a woman who grew up as a not-very-devote Muslim in Iran. She married young only to lose her first, loving husband in an accident. She was left to raise her baby son alone, so she felt sympathy for a man who had lost his wife in an accident and had a young daughter. They married, but he was very abusive to her and the children. Most of the book was about this abusive marriage and why she didn't leave him. They had to be smuggled out of Iran due to his political ...more
David
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anna
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't typically read miraculous autobiography stories - too often, they strike me as self-centered and melodramatic. However, this book was equal parts entertaining and educational and I could hardly put it down. Until the final bit, that is.
This book details the struggles of Annahita Parsan, an Iranian woman in a bad marriage who left Iran in 1979. The story follows everything she had to go through and her eventual conversion to Christianity.
For most of the book, I was hooked. Parsan's story
David McClendon, Sr
If your heart needs a faith lift, Stranger No More may just well be what the doctor ordered.

This book takes us from a journey when the author was very young all the way past the loss of a loving husband, through a terrible second husband who was evil incarnate, and then on to becoming a Christian and later a pastor.

You need to hold onto your box of tissues while you read this book. You will hear of strangers who show wonderful kindness and those close to her show unspeakable horrors.

We follow h
Greg
* I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to review a pre-publication copy of this book*

“Stranger No More” would be an inspirational book for some readers.

Annahita Parsan’s story is a heart-rending tale of a child bride trapped in an abusive marriage in Iran, a country where divorce is almost impossible. When her husband is forced to flee the regime, Annahita is presented with an appalling Sophie’s choice decision - one of her children must be left behind.

After a te
Michelle Kidwell
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Stranger No More
by Annahita Parsan
Thomas Nelson
Biographies & Memoirs , Nonfiction (Adult)
Pub Date 14 Nov 2017
I am reviewing a copy of Stranger No More through Thomas Nelson and Netgalley:

Stranger No More Is a story of escape, rescue and survival against unbelievable odds. It's a Muslim's women of story of escaping abuse and listening to the quiet call of Jesus. Annahita was an Iranian Woman Who we
Bethany Ricci
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First, I'd like to thank Netgalley for an ARC copy of this book in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. 2.5 Stars, 3 to round up ;)

This is a heartbreaking story of an Iranian woman who had to endure multiple hardships and tragedies over and over again.

The writing is OK, it was translated so there are a few moments that I believe aren't as clear as they could be but are likely more powerful and clear in the original language.

I was interested in this book because I wanted to read a conve
Karen
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
How can you rate a personal experience? The writing is competent, the story is horrific. Iranian women live at the whim of her husbands. A good man is a good life; a bad choice and life is fear, pain and poverty. The legacy of Islam is such that suffering endures even when living in a western country where help is available; women are too paralyzed by fear to act. Her encounter with the Christian God of mercy and love is a relief to the reader as it was to her. Although this part of the book is ...more
April
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished in 2 days

I couldn't put this book down until the end! I really love reading stories about conversions especially from Islam to Christianity, and for some reason have always been fascinated with Iran. Annahita's life and journey are truly miraculous, there is no doubt that God has had His hand upon her, she wouldn't be where she is today otherwise. Reading this book made me cry tears of gratitude for my many blessings and lack of true hardship as well as the freedom to follow Jesus. Thi
Fred
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s hard to imagine how Annahita Parsan lived through her experiences. This book is an amazing testimony to the human spirit, to a mother’s love and in the end to redemptive love. At first I was a little dismissive of how she came to understand Jesus, but then I realized that she was coming from an entirely and hugely different upbringing from that of the “normal” Christian. And as I realized this, I felt a little inadequate in my own prayer life and learned a great deal from the author. Thanks ...more
Dana Sorrell
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
It's interesting. I love getting a look into another culture. Her story is miraculous, but the book has gaps and leaves you missing a year here, a year there and wondering what happened. Also some of her decisions left me wondering "why?" but I guess that's real life. She'd probably feel the same way about a lot of my decisions.
Donna C Wheeler

Sometimes it is nice to know that God is with us through it all. I know my life here in the United States could never compare. We all have test in our lives that either drive is closer to God (where we long to be) or away. I was privileged to see another Christian grow from not knowing Jesus to following Him as He leads.
Sharon Herron
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stranger No More is remarkable true memoir of the author’s path from oppression to hope. Annahita was born into a Muslim home in Iran. She unexpectedly became widowed and was trapped for years in an abusive second marriage that she later ran from. She now uses her life story and past to help others from theirs. This is an truly unforgettable story of the power of God in her life.
Valerie Morris
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book so fast because I was sucked into what this woman went through in real life. It was a great picture into the Iranian and Muslim culture, as well as the journey of rebuilding life as a refugee. I finished this book just saying "wow." The resilience and perspective she has now after going through so much is just amazing and so encouraging. This is a must-read!
Judy Foyle
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Must Read

It was absolutely unbelievable that she went through such a horrific life!! While we sit her in complete luxury and only think about what we can do for our Savior. Bless be the Christ that saved her and now is using her to bring others to a relationship with Jesus. I read it in tears! There is so many people to reach for our Savior.
Carrie Smith
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully written story of the Authors escape from Iran nearly 30 years ago.
There was immense pain and hardship endured by Parsan, all which built her testimony of faith.
Hard to read as there are Domestic Violence, Rape, and Torture triggers.
Very moving story though with relevance to todays refugees.
Margaret A Register
Amazing Grace of God

This beautifully-written, true story will pull at your heartstrings and keep you up beyond your usual bedtime! My faith is stronger, my trust deeper after reading this incredible journey.

• Captive in Iran
  • Defying Jihad: The Dramatic True Story of a Woman Who Volunteered to Kill Infidels--and Then Faced Death for Becoming One
  • Hiding in the Light
  • A Father’s Betrayal
  • Captured!
  • Dead End (Kaely Quinn Profiler, #3)
  • Man of Letters
  • Master Your Time, Master Your Life: The Breakthrough System to Get More Results, Faster, in Every Area of Your Life
  • Saving My Assassin
  • I Am N: Inspiring Stories of Christians Facing Islamic Extremists
  • Fire Storm (Kaely Quinn Profiler #2)
  • Chasing Vines: Finding Your Way to an Immensely Fruitful Life
  • In the Land of Blue Burqas
  • Noel Street
  • Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity
  • Fair Play: A Game-Changing Solution for When You Have Too Much to Do (And More Life to Live)
  • Imagine Heaven: Near-Death Experiences, God's Promises & The Exhilarating Future that Awaits You
  • The Girl Behind the Red Rope