Start by marking “Invisible Women” as Want to Read:
Invisible Women

Invisible Women

Isn't it about time we talked about YOU?

Tessa, Sandra and Harriet have been best friends through first crushes, careers, marriage and the trials of motherhood. After twenty years of taking care of everyone else's every need, they've found themselves hitting the big 5-0 and suddenly asking themselves: 'what about me?!'

Sandra has a sordid secret, and Harriet is landed with
Published April 20th 2017 by Bonnier Zaffre

Start your review of Invisible Women
Bookread2day
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Long Please can I have some more ! Yes I've taken liberties here with the quote from Oliver Twist . The cover is gorgeous with three women sitting at a table gossiping and that's just what happens. Three women gossip to each other telling each other their secrets. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Invisible Women and I can't wait for Sarah Long to publish her next book with Bonnier Zaffre. Three women in their fifties seem to think that have become invisible. Well let's face it men don't pay ...more
Joanne Robertson
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew as soon as I read the blurb for this one that I just had to read it! The plot revolves around 3 friends worried about hitting 50, feeling invisible as menopause takes hold and family relationships start to change, so it sounded right up my street! And that gorgeous cover showed that a woman always has her girlfriends to turn to when things get tough so that also grabbed my attention straight away! I loved that this group of friends had always been there for each other with coffee and a ...more
Agi
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-releases, 2017

I've heard many really good things about "Invisible Women" by Sarah Long, so I was truly excited when my review copy arrived. I love the cover of this book - it's sparkly and beautiful, the kind of cover that just appeals to me, is warm and inviting and makes me want to read the book even more. And well, the synopsis is great, it sounds just like real life, and I adore books about friends.

And here in this story we have three - Tessa, Sandra and Harriett. They have all reached the big 5-0, they
Sharon
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publishers, Bonnier Zaffre for this review copy in exchange for an honest review. Also thank you to Imogen from Bonnier Zaffre for allowing me to be part of the Blog Tour.

Three women – Tess, Sandra and Harriett – who have all reached the big 5-0. They are married, happily or so they thought. The children have flown from the nest, off to University, it’s just them and their husbands. Reaching this important milestone in life has made them all re-evaluate their lives
Karyn
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a light read.. About 3 married women and the life they are leading. Are they happy or sad.. Or looking for some excitement.. That's what the book is about.

I quite forgot to mention the little quotes at the beginning of each chapter by Blanche Ebbutt, Don'ts for wives, 1913. Quite different and something to think about.
Julia
The three heroines of this novel have all passed the age of 50 and have, by taking care of their families, become invisible to the people in their families. They have become granted and now notice that they need to remedy this.

I found this book empowering, because it showed me, what I already knew, there is more to life than grocery shopping, cleaning the house and feeding the family.
booksofallkinds
INVISIBLE WOMEN by Sarah Long is an entertaining read about three friends who have grown into middle age together as they start to seriously question their own happiness. Tess, Harriet, and Sandra are all married, some with children who no longer need them for everything, and all with husbands who either see them as a nuisance or simply don't see them at all. Tired of feeling redundant in their own lives, Tessa and Sandra in particular, begin to take risks and revel in that all-too-fleeting ...more
Eva Wierzuchowska
Jun 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Insatiable Women.

Not particularly 'invisible', as they keep banging on about being. More putting themselves about, with required results. While one wifey busily sets about making her cynical husband jealous, another gamely accepts her frivolous lover as a dream partner and hang the husband. As for Harriet, she just got all the cream in a New York major life project. Happy ending all round. Very smug and aimed at the rich and privileged bored wifelets. Tessa could easily have worked in an area of
Rebecca
I wanted to like this book, but I really found it to be more depressing than entertaining. As a stay at home mother, I certainly hope that I don't end up like any of the women in this book once my children go to college. I just kept on wanting to yell at them to get a hobby or go volunteer somewhere. Their husbands were horrible as well! It was very unclear to me why these women continued to be put down in such a manner. All in all, it was only an okay book.

I received this book free from
Maddison
Mar 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this book. I like contemporary but the characters were so annoying and had such insignificant issues. Also the plot was super slow. The only way I could recommend this book is if you're A) A wealthy white woman over 50 whose never had to work or B) You are looking for a reason to be annoyed at wealthy white woman who've never had to work.
Karen Ryder
Mar 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Slow & really quite boring

This book is described as hilarious. I found it quite tedious, with stereotypical bored housewives having affairs! Won't be reading any more by this author.
Teresa D
Dec 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh please
Dawn
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book by the author's publisher in exchange for an honest review, this is something I'm more than happy to do.

I was drawn to this book for several reasons. Firstly the cover, wow, when everything around us is losing it's colour and the mornings and evenings are dark, grey and wet this book just shouts vibrancy, fun, happy, summer - it made me smile just looking at it. Secondly, it's a book about three friends approaching the unspeakable age - 5 0 - something I can
Katherine (KWBookReviews.com)
description

I received a free copy of the book from Zaffre Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. Make sure to read more reviews at Katherine's Book Reviews.

Invisible Women is a women’s fiction novel by Sarah Long. It stars three best friends named Sandra, Tessa and Harriet who have been together for as long they can remember. They have seen each other go through plenty of important life events such as first crushes, finding jobs, and even finding husbands. Now that they are all turning
Peggy Jaeger
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three women at a time in their lives where they should be happy, settled, and looking forward to a shared future with their husbands. Not happening in INVISIBLE WOMAN.
I requested this book through Netgalley because the premise sounded like it was just up my alley - especially because I'm in the same age group at Tessa, Sandra, and Harriet, the three protagonists. Unfortunately, the only thing I had in common with them was my age.
The women in this book are all at a crossroads - physically,
Judi Easley
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Women's Lit Readers, great for women "over a certain age"
Recommended to Judi by: NetGalley
My Disclaimer:

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book. I am voluntarily providing an honest review in which all opinions are fully my own. I am not being compensated in any way.

~ Judi E. Easley for Blue Cat Review

What it’s about:

Sarah Long has put herself into the ranks of Jill Mansell, Patricia Sands, Connie Chappell, and Anita Hughes with her book Invisible Women. She takes Tessa, Harriet, and Sandra, who have been friends forever and are now all passed their 50th birthday, and
Jeffrey
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh does this make you think. For all of us who gave up promising careers and wonder what to do now - there is a future. And it's a hoot.

Tessa lives off her high-earning husband - as they agreed - only he keeps going on about the bargain. Her metro life has it all - the brand descriptions are a wonder (as is the swearing...in a funny way, dear reader) - and then an old flame gets in touch on Facebook and what is a girl to do? Does she go back? Does she meet him? The domestic detail is woven like
Ilse
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very light, but good fun - bit let down by the ending
Jo Barton
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tessa, Sandra and Harriet have been friends forever, they've shared every event you can think of and now, as they all turn fifty, it's time to take stock of their lives and do things to suit themselves. However, as they find out to their cost, living the life they think they've earned often comes at a price.

I'm always interested in reading stories about the vagaries of female friendships and it's refreshing to have a group of women of a certain age who are facing a very different time in their
Angie Rhodes
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is one of those books that women will relate to, we are either one of these characters, or we have friends who are like the women, in this book.
Sandra, Harriet and Tessa are all over the age of fifty, married , housewives and best friends, but each of them have a secret, and all of them feel invisible!
Yes they are wives, mothers, daughters, granddaughters, sister''s but, they are feeling invisible, as if they have lost who they were , in their twenties, and it is how they decide to re
Sally Coles
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three women Tess, Sandra and Harriet, who have been friends forever, are at a crossroads in their lives - the big 5-0 makes people take stock and they are all dissatisfied in some way with their lot, from children leaving for uni to caring for ailing mother in laws!

Then out of the blue Tess gets a message from an old flame - was he the one that got away - and surely she cannot get on a flight to New York to meet up with him - can she!

A good story I liked all of the female characters but the
Julie Spratt
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading about the women in this book who are all facing their fifties. They are all beginning to look at their lives, their achievements (or lack of them) and their futures. I found the book made me look at myself as I am the same age as the characters. Rather than looking at the positive things I had done I found myself looking at the negatives e.g. lack of job prospects for the future/ aging/ how long to retirement etc and this then made me feel a bit cross. I still liked the story ...more
Janette
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A funny and emotional story of friends, family and relationships. I really enjoyed getting to know each character and I could identify with each of they in some way. Each character was well written and the only characters I didn't like were the husbands. The story was well paced and kept my interest through to the end. I liked the ending.

It is funny in parts, sad in parts, witty and thought provoking. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon on the settee.

Thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for an
Carrie Jones
This is very much a novel of its day- discontented women with first world issues and lots of designer name dropping as they move through their superficial lives.
I found the stories entertaining and light, with some real laugh out loud moments, at times horribly accurate for someone of the same generation.
Inevitably the story leads to a meeting with an ex, where it goes, I don’t want to disclose, but I did find the ending just a little too neat.

Carly
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good book that I enjoyed from start to finish.

The main characters Sandra, Tessa and Harriet all had such a close bond and so much in common especially the fact that each of their husbands were hopeless in some way or other. I especially detested Matt , Tessa’s husband, the way he constantly put Tessa down made me so cross but also made me realise how lucky I am to have such a great husband.

Perfect for fans of Cathy Bramley, Milly Johnson and Carole Matthews.
Jane Gregg
Do you fancy a bit of light domestic comedy on the side? This might tick the boxes if you're at the part of family life where the teens are off to university and you spend your newly acquired free time relentlessly mocking modern business language? (On-boarding, reaching out, moving forward - that sort of nonsense). The upside - it's well constructed and well written.
Jo
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a bit of a slow starter and the chapters were quite long but I think that was is it’s magic. I really enjoyed getting to know the characters and spend many times laughing at how they reminded me of people I know. Overall a good book for a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Dee Hughes
A group of friends all hitting that mid life age were they have children leaving thenest and they are feeling there must be more to life than this.

I enjoyed it but felt it was a bit ploddy.... good read though
Joanie
Oct 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book

Hilarious? Didn't find this book in the least bit funny absolutely hated the smug characters except Harriet. The husbands were even worse. Cannot see how this is a 'feel good novel' at all just made me feel annoyed.
Norma  Kirby
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Middleage

Being a middle-aged woman this book made me laugh and cry. I totally understand the feeling that were invisible at a certain age. Still the ending gives us hope

• The Desperate Wife's Survival Plan
  • A Family Holiday
  • The Wish
  • Relight My Fire
  • The Rest of Me
  • Little Mishaps and Big Surprises: A romantic comedy from the author of Blame it on the Onesie
  • Sunshine at the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe #4)
  • Escape to the Country
  • Flings and Arrows
Sarah Long worked in publishing before giving it all up to move to Paris with her husband and three children. She is the author of And What Do You Do? and The Next Best Thing. Following several years of the Parisian experience, she now lives in London.