Start by marking “Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant and Piggie)” as Want to Read:
Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant and Piggie)

Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie #18)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  4,654 Ratings  ·  417 Reviews

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.
Gerald and Piggie are best friends.
In Let's Go for a Drive Gerald and Piggie want to hit the road. But the best-laid plans of pigs and elephants often go awry.
Published October 6th 2016 by Walker Books (first published October 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Let's Go for a Drive!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Go for a Drive!

Matt
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gerald and Piggie are ready to go on an adventure, specifically a drive. As they begin to plan, they discover all the items they will need: maps, sunglasses, umbrellas... and then comes the need for actual transportation. Cue the dramatic music and the chaotic rushing around. Gerald and Piggie have hit a snag that might cause the entire process to... wait, they can always play another game. Brilliantly read by Neo, this book had some good laugh out loud moments. So pleased we found this series!
Melissa
There's a classic bit of writer's advice that a good ending is both surprising and inevitable. Mo Willems has this down at the DNA level; the Elephant and Piggie books always, always, always end well.

Again there's a lot of strength in the expressions on the two friends' faces and the way their bodies inhabit the pages. I read this with my 11yo, who loved the line, "A pig with a car would be silly." She cracked up and said, "But a pig with all this other stuff is okay?"

Great attention to detail
Douglas Cootey
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been studying Mo Willems lately. What's the big hullabaloo about Mo Willems? His art's not the best. It's rather rudimentary. His colors are muted and uninspiring. His plots aren't innovative. His stories are about the sounds that animals make or fractured fairy tales, for example—subjects covered by countless other picture book authors. In fact, his plots are rather ordinary. So why is he so popular? It became my mission to find out, so I borrowed 8 of his books from the library.

This book
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read. Bug really enjoyed it.
Jaksen
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book my seven-year old grandson handed to me and told me to READ. He got this one and one other for Christmas and whether we read them alone or together, we smile and giggle all the way through. There's humor and silliness and these two - the elephant and the pig - get up to some rather crazy, yet simple-to-understand shenanigans. In this one they're trying to take a trip, a drive, but neither knows exactly how to go about doing so, so they get a map...

The map later re-appears in a total
Dolly
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, humor
Yay! Another Elephant and Piggie story! We read them as soon as we can get them at our local library. We just love these books and our girls love to play the different parts.

With only two speaking parts, I got to sit back and listen to our girls read the book to me. I love how Mo Willems includes lots of varying volumes and enthusiasm in his dialogue and I was so impressed how our girls used different inflections in their voice to convey these changes.

Younger children will love the repetition
Andrea
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a hilarious book that is perfect for early readers!
Crystal Bandel
Let's Go for a Drive! by Mo Willems, published 2012.

Fiction.

Picture book.

Pre-K to grade 2.

Found via Booklist, reviewed by Daniel Kraus.

Gerald the elephant has the idea to go for a drive, and his best friend, Piggie, agrees. Together, the two of them collect various things they could need for a drive--umbrellas, sunglasses, a map, and bags. When it comes time to get a car, though, neither of them has one, and the two have to find a new way to spend their day. Like other books in this series, this
midnightfaerie
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Another wonderful Willems book that kept both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds fascinated. Not enough words to be even a reading level 1 book, Willems still has a way about him to bring the reader into his wonderful world. These books are ones my whole family loves. And a fellow friend on GR recently told me that the pigeon was hidden in each book and we now love to look for him too! Fun for all and a great addition to any children's library!
Lauren
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know this seems weird but I am worried that Elephant is becoming a caricature of himself. This installment was less subtle in its humor and I miss the added dimension that Willems usually includes.
Shannon Kitchen
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, childrens, humor
I pretty much love every Elephant and Piggie adventure. I love Mo Willems. It's out there.
Jenny
Love Elephant and Piggie.
AMY
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades K-2
I have never seen two characters having more fun in my whole life! Mo Willems fully captures the excitement of two friends preparing for a car ride. Nice twist at the end. Kids will love it! Highly recommended Grades K-2.
Aaron
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Humans
Mo Willems in general and his Elephant and Piggie books in particular are the best things to happen to children's literature since a guy named Steve started making lists of Best Things to Happen to ______ since _______ back in the 1870s. You could look up that Steve thing or just trust that I did not make it up.

In any case, the latest adventures of Gerald and Piggie involve typically hilarious preparations for a road trip and culminate in a punchline that is utterly charming and delightful even
Erin
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, childrens, favorites
As an elementary school librarian and a mom to two young kids, I firmly believe that Mo Willems is a genius. I recently acquired this book and it has strengthened my opinion. Willems continues to solidify his place as my favorite children's book author.

The Elephant and Piggie books are a series of easy-readers. I rarely enjoy reading fiction easy-readers, and thus have a tendency to avoid doing so. In an interview with Willems, he discussed how easy-readers are known in the publishing world as
Jose
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mo Willems' "Let's Go for a Drive!" was an honoree for the 2013 Theodor Seuss Geisel award. The cover shows an elephant and Piggie driving a mango-colored convertible with a pigeon ornament. However, this is in a though bubble above a cut-off Elephant and Piggie. The story starts with Elephant and Piggie having the great idea of going for a drive. The illustrations are simple and colorful as is the text. I think the idea is very engaging for children because of their nature to imitate adults. Th ...more
Anna
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's Go for a drive / Mo Willems / 2012
Genre: fiction
Format: easy/beginning reader

Plot summary: Good friends Elephant and Piggie, sharing their high spirits through song and dance, prepare for a drive. Best plans go awry when they realize they have no car.

Considerations: none
Review: (from ALA)
"Text clues in color-coded speech bubbles, white backgrounds and bold mixed-media illustrations add to the book’s appeal for beginning readers."

Section source: Geisel Award 2013 Honor Book
Recommended age
Ann
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Elephant and Piggie book! What could be better? Except this one doesn't have the odd, charming clarity and balance of the best books (There is a Bird on Your Head and We Are in a Book!) in the series. It's kind of like breaking open a pinata--it's too much bozzaz. But even if the story doesn't hit the target, there is almost nothing more pleasurable than watching Gerald and especially Piggie pull faces.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Gerald and Piggie decided to go for a drive. They gather their various driving paraphernalia and soon have a large pile of items to take in the car. But where will they find a car?

Another hilarious installment in Willem's Elephant & Piggie series. Creating a plan is highlighted with Gerald, while Piggie goes to find all the supplies needed. Great repetition and fun ways to vary the reading style. Be sure to look for the pigeon in the back!

Reviewed from a library copy.
Jenn Swanson
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elephant and Piggie plan on going for a drive but first they need to gather a few things. Well, a lot of things. My daughter thought this book was funny and seemed to enjoy it a lot. Would recommend.
Christine
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elephant and Piggie are awesome.

This book is fun to read aloud, as it's fun to emote for Elephant and involves lots of yelling, often in a sing-songy voice.

Not recommended for right before bed =)
Morgan
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me miss doing storytime! It is right up my alley! I might just have to put together a kit in case I ever have an emergency school visit. Map, sunglasses, umbrella and suitcase. What a fun book!
William
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
Such fun!
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kids
Per my 4-year-old niece, this book is SO FUNNY!
Maria
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book pretty much explains my life this year. You need a plan and a friend!
Kyra Harwell
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fun book by Mo Willems. This would be an excellent choice for Reader's Theater.
Mary
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elephant (Gerald) is really good at overreacting. Just like me.
Alli Marbois
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let’s Go For a Drive! By Mo Willems is another Elephant & Piggie book, this time with Gerald and Piggie deciding that they want to go for a drive in a car. However, they soon realize that they need a lot of different items for this drive to occur…
I definitely enjoyed reading this book, and I would love to read it to a new reader. It satisfies the requirements of an early reading book because of the limited vocabulary, and the experience is still fun and exciting. I don’t have any suggestion
Renea Smith
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the cute and simple story, “Let’s Go for a Drive!” by Mo Willems, two friends, Gerald and Piggie have a great idea. They plan on going on an adventurous car ride together! Throughout the book the two friends ponder what they need to make this dream come true, but there is one problem this dynamic duo face—they do not have a car to drive!

Like all the Piggie and Gerald books, “Lets Go for a Drive!” features the goofy personalities of the two friends, and their exciting friendship that never fa
Katherine Dove
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gerald and Piggie are two best friends who love going on adventures together. In this story, Gerald has the wonderful idea to go with Piggie on a nice car ride. After making sure they have everything they need they go to set out for a drive, however they realize they may not have EVERYTHING that they thought they needed.
Mo Williams is a great author for early reading. By keeping his illustrations and text to a minimal standard, the books are easy to follow and very enjoyable. Williams does an
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Bear Has a Story to Tell
  • The Monsters' Monster
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • I'm Bored
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • Oh, No!
  • Chloe and the Lion
  • hello! hello!
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!  (Marty McGuire #2)
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Brief Thief
  • Z Is for Moose
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)