Start by marking “The Catholic Hipster Handbook: Rediscovering Cool Saints, Forgotten Prayers, and Other Weird but Sacred Stuff” as Want to Read:

Being a Catholic Hipster is all about an attitude—an attitude grounded in being part of a countercultural community of believers dedicated to something bigger than themselves in a world dominated by self-centeredness. It’s about yearning to learn more about the faith by seeking out “Catholic cool”—overlooked saints, forgotten prayers and feast days, and traditional practic ...more
Published September 22nd 2017 by Ave Maria Press

To ask other readers questions about The Catholic Hipster Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Catholic Hipster Handbook

Jenny Houle
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free ARC of this book from NetGalley for an unbiased opinion.

Let's face it...there's no good way to give a completely unbiased opinion about religion or hipsters. I went into this book with a disgruntled opinion based on childhood experiences regarding those I saw within places of power in the Catholic church abusing their power, and when I think "hipster"...I just cringe.

So how did I walk away giving it a four out of five star review? Well, honestly, because it jolted a lot of thin
Cece
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a joy. I learned some new (old) things and LOLed several times.

I will definitely reread and recommend to others!
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have friends that talk about having found their 'tribe' or 'people.' Reading this title has me realizing I AM a Catholic Hipster. And, several of my friends are too.

While the cover and title seems a bit carefree, what you will find inside is not. Everything is presented in a manner that has you wanting to dig deeper, especially when it comes to the 'cool' saints.

I enjoyed this so much that I was sharing on my FB wall to friends after just the first few chapters.

Note ~ I did get a copy from Net
Steven R. McEvoy
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This book was not exactly what I was expecting. I had seen it mentioned by so many people that I was certain it would be something I would like and purchased it without realizing that it is an anthology with 12 contributors when you included Tommy. Sort of a modern-day group of apostles.

The contributors are:
Tiffany Walsh

And the sections in t
Jaime K
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun compilation of what exactly makes one a Catholic Hipster.

Each 'chapter' is broken into 4 subsections: Random information from the author, a "Cool Saint," a forgotten prayer (typically related to the saint and/or topic), and an activity for the reader. For the authors whose voices I know (radio, podcasts, etc.), I could even hear them in my head as I read.

A few things jumped out to me:
- Saint Epaphras, whom I didn't think I'd ever heard of, is in the Bible.
- Sergio Bermudez's Cathol
Lisa
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Do you know about all the coolest Catholic Twitterers, the best Catholic music, the loveliest prayers and the most interesting Catholic blogs? This handbook by Tommy Tighe will help you find all of these! It’s not just a frivolous guide, however. It also contains articles about important Catholic doctrines and history, and it’s worth keeping whether you are a cradle Catholic, a convert or even undecided! I greatly enjoyed it. I am not sure about going to a Tridentine Mass, however. Although it s ...more
Patrícia
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It may not be a page turner as a whole (although it is within chapters), but that is because each chapter has a unique theme for its essay, and most of them seem to be made especially for us. Some of them can be really thoughtful. Others are more fun. Every and each of them is very informal, filled with life, and a very simples language, easy to understand and to extract some laughs.

I just realized that this book is also a prayer book and that each time I read it I would pray, because of the For
Amy Palma
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: olf-book-group
I'm still trying to decide if I enjoyed this book or did not enjoy this book. The title is misleading as I certainly did not find this book to be anything close to a "handbook." I did find I spent a lot of time on the internet trying to learn more about the "weird but sacred stuff" and the "cool saints." The book touches upon the subjects but does not spend enough time developing those topics to teach or be considered a handbook. Each section has its own "Activity" associated with it that is sur ...more
Carolyn
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the brevity and variety of these selections as well as the format - topic, cool saint, forgotten prayer, and activity. It made for an easily digestible handbook!

Like many collections, this one was a mixed bag. Some contributions I loved, some I learned from, and a couple struck me as condescending/snobby (which I guess shouldn't surprise me if written from a self-identifying hipster ;-)).

I listened on audiobook, and while the narration was good, I think I would've have enjoyed having
Barb
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Packed with plenty of Catholic inside baseball without making the reader feel unworthy, this book won’t teach you how to be a cool Catholic. Instead, it revels in what’s cool about being Catholic and invites the reader to revel in it too. Tommy Tighe gathered together 15 cool Catholics, many of whom you’ll find speaking and tweeting and writing and hosting Catholic radio shows, to help put this handbook together. Read my full review.
Cathy
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent collection for Catholics that want to deepen their faith, no mater what their age! The fact that it is written for young people encourages me in the future of our faith. There are things in this book that I am just now beginning to appreciate and I am far past being a twenty something. I just wish I had this book earlier in my life.

I highly recommend this to anyone in search of a deeper faith.
Hannah
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
(I received a free advance copy from Net Gallery in exchange for an honest review.)

This was an entertaining, funny and really accessible (which I appreciated, since I myself am not Catholic) read that I found much more relatable than I expected (having grown up in a religious household). I loved hearing from all the different perspectives that people had, and it left me really wanting to read more on Catholic Church history.
Sarah Elizabeth
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was a fun playful book about all things Catholic from confession to the blessed Mother to obscure saints and Catholic baby names. It was a fun read and I loved the format of the chapters - a short reflection on the topic, a relevant obscure saint, a related prayer, and a fun activity. I found this book clever and engaging for both Catholics and those who'd like to learn more about the Catholic faith.

I received a complimentary copy of the book to review from the publisher and NetGalley.
Rachel Vryhof
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of food for thought! Easily read in quick bites and lots of suggested actionable ideas. Definitely a book to return to as you implement the different activities into your own life. Some of the humor in the book veered more "dad jokes" than hipster cool, but maybe I'm not enough of a hipster to know what's cool? Overall a nice break from heavy theology tomes.
Nicole
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I've been looking for.

A great and informative read about being Catholic with a sense of humor in the modern world. Learned lots of new prayers, saints, and how to get out of the Catholic rut. Loved it from beginning to end!
Brian
Pretty much what it claims to be on the cover. A series of “blog post” style essays from a handful of Catholic contributors about what it means to be a faithful Catholic in the world today, with saint biographies, uncommon prayers, and actions to take with each essay.
Aly
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some really wonderful Catholic insights into living our faith in today’s culture. My favorite part almost without fail were the saints and prayers highlighted at the end of the essays! Great read overall.
Carrie Johnson
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for Catholics looking to roll up their sleeves and dig into the quirkiness of the Catholic faith and history. Think of this more as a textbook, with activities and story to help support your faith.
Cindy
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you want to know all the details about being Catholic, this is the book for you. Having attended Catholic school grades 1-8, I know most of the info in this book, even most of the little known saints. I loved all the prayers that were included.
Brian
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy read. Fun to learn more about the faith. Very enjoyable. A book you’ll want to share.
Jen Finke
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
An interesting little handbook. I'm not a hipster, though, and I already knew most of the info in the book.
Liz Nies
Mar 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't think this guy understands what a hipster is.
reagan eyre
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
i am rather conflicted about this book. this first section seemed rather cringe-y to me, but the last section was full of really insightful essays.
Lyndon Cowan
  • Seeds of the Word: Finding God in the Culture
  • The Secret of Mary
  • 30 Days of Prayer with Mary
  • Our Lady of Fatima
  • A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do In The Liturgy
  • Why Catholics are Right
  • Thrift Store Saints: Meeting Jesus 25¢ at a Time
  • The Rosary: The Prayer That Saved My Life
  • Mother Angelica Her Grand Silence: The Last Years and Living Legacy
  • The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul
“I just like how [glasses] look on me and how they make me feel more confident. Isn’t that the point of anything we wear, anyway?” 0 likes
“But it’s also great to silence technology in the midst of life’s craziness and simply be in the astounding presence of the greatest Designer the world has ever known.” 0 likes