Start by marking “Gendered Lives: Communication, Gender, and Culture” as Want to Read:
Gendered Lives: Communication, Gender, and Culture

Gendered Lives: Communication, Gender, and Culture

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  225 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Written by the leading gender communication scholar, Julia Wood's text introduces students to theories, research, and pragmatic information that demonstrate the multiple and often interactive ways in which our views of masculinity and femininity are shaped within contemporary culture. With the most up-to-date research, balanced perspectives of masculinity and femininity, a ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published August 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Gendered Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gendered Lives

Paige
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, everyone
I was assigned this book for a gender & communication course.

The only thing I didn't like about this book was how SHORT it was!! Seriously, each chapter (if not each section and each paragraph...) deserves to be fleshed out into its own book. Although I was really familiar with all this stuff already, being into sociology and gender studies and feminism and privilege and human development as I am, she does a great job of getting the information to the reader in a concise, clear, and engaging
Ebony
Jul 22, 2008 rated it liked it
i liked this textbook when i read edition 3 eons ago when i was in school; it's good as far as textbooks can be good but i was so annoyed at her constant references to the black family as being strong and progressive because we don't internalize the man as breadwinner and woman as housewife gender roles. like hell we don't; trying to imitate white gendered standards is what has our families in the mess that we're in and is what has bill cosby and barack obama publicly lamenting that we should be ...more
Terry
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have used this book to teach undergraduate interpersonal communication. Julia Wood's writing is approachable and enlightening. Most students love it. It's a short little book, with great examples of how easy it is to forget that all meaning is not shared the same way. How are are all enculturated into our gender roles is open for criticism, but that we are seems to me a given. If you are interested in how and why men and women communicate as they do, across gender and same-gender, you will fin ...more
Miss Ary
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for a class I took in college about gender and communication. It is really the only "textbook" that I liked reading for a college class. It wasn't really like a textbook at all. I loved how the author had short stories and related the information to real life situations. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to know more about why people commuicate the way they do.
Dawn Santos
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book. I would suggest this book to everyone. A lot of eye-opening content, while reinforcing the need for gender education.
Paige Erin
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.8
Scott
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this in order to review it for my Master's degree in TESOL (Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages).

As an introductory text, it does an excellent job raising the most important issues in common conceptions of gender and how they affect our lives. There is a bit of dry (but interesting) history as background, but there is also a wealth of information on all of the factors that go into gender - biology, cultural beliefs, popular culture, and more.

Not one person can read some of
Roxy
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
While I love a book that will discuss the many issues women face today, I particularly love this one for trying to focus evenly on the issues that face both men and women. I would highly recommend this one for anyone wanting to read get more involved in gender issues.
Mary Anne
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pedagogy
I used this book in my Communication & Gender class. Not sure how my students liked it; I should ask. It's not the least expensive book on the market, but Julia T. Wood is quite good, and she references a lot of crucial people.
Ann-Michael
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This textbook literally changed my life. I read it the summer before I turned 27, and it led me to make some pretty serious changes in my life (regarding relationships). I appreciated this textbook so much, that I still have it.
Casey
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Overall a good introduction to Gender issues in a western context. I would have liked to have seen more conversation about non-binary gender discussion and an international discussion. If you need a primer about issues facing Western Culture with gender this is a good place to start.
Babs
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved learning from this book. Do wish there was more discussion on men's problems and different cultures views included in the last chapter, but appreciated the knowledge and depth of research. Has a couple typos but otherwise great.
Christina
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gender-studies
great read, but I really hoped Julia would have included more information about bisexuality, it was mentioned a total of 3 times (on the same page) :( overall an amazing book that everyone should read.
Emma
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I think this is a fantastic look at gender, sex, etc. and how it affects each aspect of our lives. Wood covers both male and female issues and does it well. This book is full of fantastic examples and it is actually an interesting read.
Carissa
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
read for school.
Elizabeth
Aug 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
grubby, bent covers, some water damage. $2.99.
FeatsandTrips
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good reference.
Vampire-lk
Was a good school book! Interesting points/organisation highlights & theories presented!!
Afnan
Sep 25, 2012 added it
an eye-opener book about culture, communication, and gender...very insightful
Michelle Beese
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very informative!
Kristina
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply one of the best textbooks I've ever used.
Charity U
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definitely a secular worldview, with a hefty dose of feminism, but still interesting and enlightening regarding the differences in the genders and how they communicate.
Jesse Booth
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
One of the better textbooks I've had to read for school. Helped me learn more about myself and how culture has influenced who I am.
Alyssa
Jan 15, 2018
Sydney
Jul 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • What You Really Really Want: The Smart Girl's Shame-Free Guide to Sex and Safety
  • Feminism: The Essential Historical Writings
  • Feminists Theorize the Political
  • Here Comes the Bride: Women, Weddings, and the Marriage Mystique
  • Hey, Shorty!: A Guide to Combating Sexual Harassment and Violence in Schools and on the Streets
  • Ink-Stained Amazons and Cinematic Warriors: Superwomen in Modern Mythology
  • Undivided Rights: Women of Color Organizing for Reproductive Justice
  • I Am Woman: A Native Perspective on Sociology and Feminism
  • On My Own: The Art of Being a Woman Alone
  • Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire
  • Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology
  • Multicultural Education in a Pluralistic Society
  • Sex Crimes: Ten Years on the Front Lines Prosecuting Rapists and Confronting Their Collaborators
  • Fire with Fire: New Female Power and How It Will Change the Twenty-First Century
  • Woman Defamed and Woman Defended: An Anthology of Medieval Texts
  • Sexual Fluidity: Understanding Women's Love and Desire
  • Word Warriors: 35 Women Leaders in the Spoken Word Revolution
  • Dirty Words: A Literary Encyclopedia of Sex
Julia T. Wood is a Professor of Communication Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Dr. Wood's teaching and research focus on gender, communication, and culture; personal relationships; and feminist theories.
More about Julia T. Wood...