Start by marking “Summer of Deception” as Want to Read:

Summer of Deception

Determined to unearth the truth about her DEA agent brother’s reported death, Rachel York takes a position at an historic Charleston plantation, but she finds she is ill prepared to deal with the plantation’s new owner. Luke Barrett may be handsome, but he is overflowing with bitterness and distrust.

Widowed and wounded, former Marine Corps Special Forces operative Luke Bar
Kindle Edition, 1, 199 pages
Published March 24th 2017 by Prism Book Group

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of Deception

Hannah
I was browsing on NetGalley last week and the bright flowers on the cover caught my attention. I'd never heard of the book or the author, but the synopsis sounded good, so I decided on a whim to give it a try.

I was truly pleasantly surprised by this story. The suspense is well handled, and the romance is realistic (even though it is heavier on the romance than what I generally read.) I really, really liked the eclectic cast of characters, and I especially liked the faith they exhibited...handli
Coco.V
Apr 17, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (4/17/2019)! 🎁
Joanie Bruce
I really enjoyed this book. Ms. Martin is a talented story teller, and when I had to stop reading because of other commitments, I was disappointed.

What I liked: There was a touch of suspense in the book and I always enjoy a book where uncertainty adds to the plot. I loved the way Rachel took loving care of Kristina and seemed genuinely happy to watch over the five year old and help her catch up in her studies. The love story was sweet and endearing, and I thought the characters were both believa
J. Richards
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summer of Deception by Elva Cobb Martin opens with Rachel York arrives at Barrett Hall ready to work as a nanny for the summer. She quickly learns the man who hired her to care for his nephew’s daughter has died and no one on the plantation is expecting her. Lukeou Barrett checks into Rachel’s background and decides to allow Rachel to care for Kristina, his four-year-old daughter.
That summer in Charleston is difficult. The plantation includes a secluded coastline where it is easy for drug dealer
Maria
"Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review"
This book didn’t work for me. I requested it because of the description of the hero – former wounded Marine, widowed single dad – and his very visible eye-patch on the cover, but while reading I found out that the said eye-patch was more a handsomeness device than a true sign of an injury. Yes, the hero had a real eye injury but I scarcely saw how it affected his life (besides attracting women’s attention because of the pira
21lakis34
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for honest review via Netgalley!
This one did not work for me, I am sorry to say this, because I received ARC, but I can not do the otherwise, I felt like I was reading book from late 80s and not from recent time!
I could not to make a conenction with H or h, because she was too whiny and he was too rude for me, i put this one down few times and try to pick it up later, but I just couldnt!
DNF, read 60%
1.5 star
Joanie Bruce
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Victoria
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Cobb’s debut novel delivers all the title suggests. Rachel York is spending her summer in Charleston as a nanny to the precocious daughter of Luke, a Special Forces Marine, who owns a tea plantation.

Both Rachel and Luke have secrets they cannot reveal….as their story unravels they may be lucky to be alive by summer’s end.

This is a captivating fast paced novel that has the charm and warmth of a southern evening. It is well worth the read and highly recommended.
Julie Cosgrove
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great combination of romance, suspense and a touch of history about Charleston, SC. I really love the descriptive language and fresh dialog between the characters. THe plot moved along nicely. Good read.
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
The plot & characters are compelling, but it seems there is something keeping it from moving beyond a surface level. In addition, there is some mild cursing/profanity and racial/cultural stereotyping that made me cringe. The faith thread is fairly strong but could also be taken out of the story without much effect.
Catherine Geist
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

This was really a great interesting read. It kept your interest until the end.The story was great & well written.It had a lot of suspence & love in it. It a few twists that made it over the top.Highly recommend.
Andrea Montack
Predictable but a good read

The story was predictable ,but a nice quick read.
Remind you that there is still love that gives you butterfly in your stomach and kisses that make your toes cyrk
Yvonne Marshall
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book

I really enjoyed this wonderful read. It was a mixture of everything. Definitely romance, with mystery, and a wonderful ending. I had not read this author before, but will for her again.
Karen Sweeney-Ryall
Intriquing southern romance

Captivating mystery romance set in historical Charleston. Enjoyed the twists and turns and of course, the perfect ending to all the struggles and questions .
esc
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book!

I truly enjoyed this southern mystery. The characters were well developed. Sometimes I get tired of a book when the main characters think the same thoughts over and over. Not so in this book, which I appreciated. I also appreciated the Christian values throughout.
MarleneJS
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who is deceiving whom

Great story getting more intriguing as it progressed. Set in modern times with an historical twist and showing how past pains can shape personalities and belief systems. And wonderful characters
Kathryn Munsell
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trust in the Lord.

This story has suspense, danger, jealousy, true friendship, heartbreak, love and more. You will enjoy this book and feel good about God’s hand in our lives.
Sandra S Bright
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!!

I enjoyed this novel immensely. I loved the setting - a tea plantation in Charleston. It's clean romance filled with mystery and intrigue.
Lynda Knapp
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

I enjoyed not only the setting of this book, but the characters as well. I definitely recommend this book. I will be on the lookout for more by this author.
Alicia Lowery
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-reads
The story was okay. Choppy in spots. Overly dramatic in spots. A few errors. But mostly, it bothered me that the title, cover and storyline didn’t seem to match up.
Mary Payne
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summer of Deception

A delightful love story intertwined with drug smuggling and mistrust among the two name characters. All this with spiritual influences in the background.
Donna Whitley
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beach story

What a wonderful story. The beach, mystery, confusion, love, and God all in the middle of it. My kind of book.
Sherri
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t quite place why, but this novel reminded me of an earlier time period. It was well written with interesting characters. Very enjoyable.
Sue Stinnett
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Southern Charm

A well-written romance with a dash of intrigue as a young women seeks to find what happened to her missing brother.
KRISTEN LAWRENCE
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little story

This book isn't any thing deep or probing. It is a good bit predictable, but still an easy enjoyable read.
Marjorie Hill
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elva Cobb Martin did a great job of drawing me into the lowcountry of South Carolina.
Margaret A Register
Great!

Very good story. It is well-written and well-edited with well-defined characters. What a joy to find a good, Christian book!
poppy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by Elva and it won't be the last.I enjoyed it from the very first page had me hooked.Really liked Luke and Rachel's characters this was a super read.
Linda Caesar
I !oved this book! Excellent storyline she kept the book moving along well. I from the south and enjoy most any thing written about the south especially my favorite city Charleston, South Carolina.

sue tingle
Wonderful book Loved it
Elva Cobb Martin's passion is to write adventurous, romantic novels that not only entertain, but celebrate the moral truths found in classic fiction. Truths like honor and respect, fidelity and reverence. She lives in the South Carolina upstate with her husband and a mini-dachshund. For more information visit her web site at: elvamartin.com.