Start by marking “The Wizards of Once (The Wizards of Once #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wizards of Once (The Wizards of Once #1)

The Wizards of Once

(The Wizards of Once #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  6,412 ratings  ·  1,214 reviews
This is the story of a young boy Wizard and a young girl Warrior who have been taught to hate each other like poison; and the thrilling tale of what happens when their two worlds collide.

Perfect for boys and girls who love fantasy adventure ...

Once there was Magic, and the Magic lived in the dark forests.

Wizard boy, Xar, should have come in to his magic by now, but he hasn
Published September 19th 2017 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Wizards of Once, please sign up.
Amanda Weaver He does. I listened to this book and he did an outstanding job!!!!
Helene Hmm... I do not know. I think I read sonewhere that it is intended as a triology, but How To Train Your Dragon was intended as triology as well and th…moreHmm... I do not know. I think I read sonewhere that it is intended as a triology, but How To Train Your Dragon was intended as triology as well and that series turned out to have twelve books. (less)

·  6,412 ratings  ·  1,214 reviews

Start your review of The Wizards of Once (The Wizards of Once #1)
Jessica
The audiobook is narrated by David Tennant and was an Odyssey Award Honoree, and I can see why!

Not only is Tennant so fun as the reader, but there are musical interludes and sound effects. And it's a very fun story, too! I really liked the descriptions of the magic and the people, not to mention the magical creatures. And who knew that a spoon could make a great pet?!

July 2018: Road trippin' with my sister and my three kids, made them all listen to it!
Spencer Orey
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-fantasy
Wacky MG fantasy focused on humor and some twists.

The form of illustrations mixed with text worked mostly great (it's rad that the author drew and wrote everything—total creative control like that is a real dream). The story was a bit generic but fun. And while I found the main two characters to be pretty bland and unlikable, the supporting characters were way more imaginative. There's a really thoughtful giant. There are young sprites called hairy fairies that are pretty funny. Whatever's goin
Furrawn
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable book. Illustrations that have a sarcastic wit to them which I always love. It’s a children’s book so of course it’s a quick read for an adult. It was a wonderful story though. I find that I love great books no matter their intended audience. Madeleine L’Engle said that she simply wrote A WRINKLE IN TIME. She didn’t write it for children or adults. She simply wrote it. I find my life is endlessly enriched by all sorts of books.

Back to this book. Did I mention adorable? There are two side
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“Surely, just because SOME Magic is bad, it doesn't mean that ALL Magic is bad?”

Wizards, warriors, sprites, witches, giants and lots more. Where do I sign up!?!?!

I've had the pleasure of reading this story twice now and I thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Wizards of Oncefeatures a young girl warrior and a young boy wizard. They are both complete and utter failures and outcasts in their tribes eyes but are constantly trying to prove their worth, for better or worse.

The boy, Xar is a
Susan
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cressida Cowell is best known for her, “How to Train Your Dragon,” series, which was a big hit with my thirteen year old son, when he was younger. My ten year old daughter has never really shown interest in those books, but she read this very happily and enjoyed it immensely. The cover attracted her, with the words, “Once there was Magic…” intriguingly written across the back of the book.

The story revolves around the conflict of a young wizard boy, named Xar, whose magic has not yet arrived at
Gavin
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sizzling with magic and wonder in a brilliant world that has completely sucked me in! I cannot wait to read more from this series.

A boy wizard who can't seem to find his magic and a warrior princess who has a knack for adventure cross paths in a world where wizards and warriors are mortal enemies. Long ago, Witches existed, and they are the most evil and most terrifying beings to ever walk the Earth. Are they back?

I was so engrossed in this wonderful story. The illustrations were so great to go
Dashie
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DAVID TENNANT MUST READ EVERY BOOK EVER EXISTS! AUDIBLE HIRE HIM ON A PERMANENT BASIS PLEASE!
Katie
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story was so cute!! I really enjoyed it! My one complaint (and I'm not sure if it's because of anything with the book or if it's just because it's middle grade) is that I didn't really connect with any of the characters. I kind of found my indifferent on what actually happened to them. But I still enjoyed the story and there were a bunch of twists that I didn't seem coming that kept me entertained! I still recommend this, especially to people who like fantasy stories and stories aimed at yo ...more
Sara
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

This was funny, scattered and bonkers. I still can't really tell you what the plot was, other than it involved a bit of special magic and witches, but the characters are an absolute delight.

Wish is a warrior princess. But not a very good one. In fact, she's a bit of a disappointment to her mother the Queen, because she's a little.... odd. I mean, her only friend is an enchanted spoon. Xar is a wizard. Or he should be - except he has no magic. Wish and Xar should be mortal enemies, rai
Kayla
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I anticipated. The writing wasn't that good, the charcaters weren't special. The world and the atmosphere was great but I don't think this was the strongest magic book I've read.
Aya Hamza
"This is the problem with adventures. They bring out parts of you that you never ever knew were there."

3.5 stars. That was entertaining!
This book is set in a world where there were wizards who are Magic and warriors who are not. But our two main characters, Xar, who is a Wizard, doesn't have any magical ability. And Wish, who is a Warrior princess, tries to hide her magical objects, because she doesn't believe that magical things are harmful.

The book was entertaining definitely, but there we
Azbaqiyah
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I love this story. It's funny and really interesting. I really love when the characters are cursing or latah...
Becky
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
”Magic can never be destroyed, it can only be hidden.”

This was a quick and fun read about a young boy, Xar of a Wizards guild and a young girl, Wish from a Warriors guild. They are destined to hate one another but end up bumping into each other and working together through an unheard of situation - especially since witches are supposed to be extinct but Xar and Wish stumble across one...

They come together and ignore what they’ve been taught about the other guild to fight through the situatio
Ula (The Lost Library)
I listened to the audiobook for this and David Tennant's narration is amazing! His Scottish accent gave this book such a lovely whimsical magical feel. Obviously I was not the target audience but I still really enjoyed it.
Chris Callaghan
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Crackling with magic, adventure and humour. But it was the wonderful characters and they way they collided with each other that made this so much fun.
VioletteDoree
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
I expected nothing and still, it disappointed me at the highest level.
I've been seduced in store by the fame of the author, the promise of original drawings and a magical middle grade story. In the end, I suffered for almost 400 pages of a boring plot punctuated by lazy drawings.
The story itself could have been ok (and here I don't say "good", I say "ok") but it was not worth the volume and could have been told in less than 150 pages. There is no need to waste time and space to tell endlessly th
Mel
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I find myself shying away from Middle Grade novels more often than not because I tend to find them a bit juvenile for my tastes, and I know that's the point but I just generally don't enjoy them.

I absolutely loved this one. I loved the plot, the characters, and the low key hidden meanings and social commentary. I think that it is a fun story for children, especially around the Halloween season, but I also think that it can teach kids a lot.

It's a fun plot, a world where wizards are being killed
Galadrielė

▪Magic system 4/5
▪Logic 4.5/5
▪Enjoyment 4.5/5

▪Narrator 4.75/5

I listened to an audio book and a narrator was amazing. However, it was annoying sometimes, because of all the accents. But still very good, tho. I like the old raven especially. ♡

The world building, magic system are really nice, something similar, but different at the same time.

But but.. The main problem for me that I didn't care for characters at all. I felt not
Hadaiyah
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Couldn't guess the narrator of the story
Guess I'll have to find out when the next book comes out...
Lissa
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-best-of-best
This book is without a doubt one of the best books I've read in 2018!

I actually bought this book for my little sisters.
'It's just a children's book,' I thought. 'I will probably think it's really silly.'
But a couple of days before I was going to give it to my sisters, I read the first page myself. I also read the second, third, fourth page,.... and I LOVED it! So instead of giving it to my little sisters, I read the book to them so we could all read it together.

We laughed, got frustrated and a
Anne
I am so disappointed.

I enjoyed the entire How to Train Your Dragon series immensely. There were some weaker volumes, but for the most part, I completely forgot I was listening to books intended for children and enjoyed them for what they were - magical entertainment.

This book, unfortunately, seems to have been relying on nostalgia to pull it through. It makes several references that those who've read HtTYD will recognize, but fails on almost everything that its predecessor did well - characteri
Jonathan
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This might be my newest favorite children's book. I've always been a fan of the fun, witty writing found in Cowell's "How to Train Your Dragon" series and that allure drew me to this book as well. Needless to say, she did not disappoint. That same prose of writing can be found within the pages of this book, from the way the characters interact with one another to "The Unknown Narrator" who speaks directly to the reader at certain times throughout. There is a tiny spark of magic hidden within the ...more
Ms. Yingling
Public library copy

In Ancient Briton, there is the magic son of a Wizard, Xar, and the daughter of the queen of the Warriors, Wish. Xar has no magic, and Wish wants to embrace magic, even though her people are against it and are trying to remove all of it from the world. Xar is trying to get some magic, and thinks that it is a good idea to mix the blood on a sword that Wish has with his own blood. He's a bit unsure whose blood it is, but it turns out to be from a witch. Witches are terribly dang
Melissa Veras
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun read with lovable characters and entertaining plot. I listen to the audiobook narrated by David Tennant, and it was AMAZING.
Shahirah Loqman
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
You can view more reviews at: https://booklovesreviews.wordpress.com/

Thank you Pansing Malaysia for the proof copy in exchange of an honest review*

I received a proof copy of Cressida Cowell's upcoming new series The Wizards of Once. Famous for her works in the How to Train Your Dragon series, in which movie I loved by the way, I was super excited to read this. I rarely read Children's books. Their language and plot are a bit simpler than that of Middle Grade. So in an attempt to properly review
Radha
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By mistletoe and leafmod and ginger sideburns of the great grim ogre....This was so cute, magical, creative and entertaining! I love every single character, specially Wish and Squeezjoos!!! I listened the audiobook and read the ebook at the same time and David Tennant did an EXCELLENT job at narrating this! and the soooong THERE'S A SOOOOONG!!!! * *sigh* * so good! At the end felt a bit reminiscent of How to train your Dragon (It's by the same author btw), how the family issues got solved and wr ...more
Sheila Beaumont
I enjoyed listening to this fun, light fantasy about wizards, warriors, magical creatures, and witches. David Tennant's lively narration is delightful. I've just bought the sequel and am looking forward to listening to it.
Alexis
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three and half stars for the story, ONE BILLION STARS FOR THE DAVID TENNANT UBER PERFORMANCE
Helene
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun. Just fun.

Xar was annoying, narcissistic and self-absorbed throughout the whole book, especially in the beginning. He boasts about being the ‘boy of destiny’ and I laughed when he found out that someone else was this ‘boy of destiny’. However, he had his moments where he showed he was a good at heart, which made me like him. (view spoiler)
Natalie (CuriousReader)
I think it's a first for me where the audiobook narration far exceeds the book's own qualities. The Wizard of Once is another story with two young destined persons, one boy, one girl, from opposites sides of the tracks. The boy belongs to the wizard tribe, the girl to the warriors - the two groups are at war (or at least live completely isolated from each other) and are taught to hate each other from birth. By some coincidental circumstances, Wish (the warrior princess) and Tzar (the wizard prin ...more

• Orion Lost
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • The Land of Roar
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • Willow Moss and the Lost Day (Starfell #1)
  • A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
  • Nevertell
  • Agnes ja unien avain
  • The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1)
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #2)
  • Rumblestar
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • The Vanishing Trick
  • Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1)
  • The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery (A Train to impossible places, #1)
  • Malala: My Story of Standing Up for Girls' Rights
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own w ...more

The Wizards of Once (4 books)
  • Twice Magic (The Wizards of Once #2)
  • Knock Three Times (The Wizards of Once #3)
  • Never and Forever (The Wizards of Once #4)

News & Interviews

“You do have to listen to the stories, for stories always mean something. The question that worries me is: WHAT exactly do they mean?” 11 likes
“I wish, I wish I wish’ wished Wish” 5 likes