Start by marking “La vendicatrice” as Want to Read:
La vendicatrice

La vendicatrice

(Beatrix Rose #1)

Beatrix Rose è una moglie e una madre. Ma Beatrix Rose è anche una donna letale, un’assassina dalla parte del bene. O così credeva, finché non viene tradita proprio da chi aveva la sua massima fiducia. Suo marito viene ucciso, sua figlia di appena tre anni viene rapita e tenuta in ostaggio. Quando Beatrix riesce a riaverla con sé, capisce che la sua vecchia vita è finita p ...more
Hardcover, La Gaja scienza, 256 pages
Published March 3rd 2017 by Longanesi (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about La vendicatrice, please sign up.
William Galaini It's basically intellectual theft. Not sure if Miramax will handle it directly because it is a small fish. They are currently for sale for nearly a…moreIt's basically intellectual theft. Not sure if Miramax will handle it directly because it is a small fish. They are currently for sale for nearly a Billion dollars, so they might be distracted for a bit before they can handle this.(less)

Sean Peters
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's mention one thing first, I started this book only three days ago, and have finished already, and have ordered the next two in the series.

A fast paced, action packed, thriller, with a great female action lead Beatrice Rose.

REVENGE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD

The new book from acclaimed writer Mark Dawson , IN COLD BLOOD is an action-packed thriller about ruthless betrayal and bloodthirsty vengeance.

Beatrix Rose was the most dangerous assassin in an off-the-books government kill squad until
Steve
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3 stars.

Mindless action in a revenge plot. Good for beach or poolside, I guess. I don't think I'll continue this series.
Ivonne Rovira
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: Lisa G
Author Mark Dawson introduces a new series featuring English assassin Beatrix Rose who has recovered her kidnapped daughter after an eight-year absence and is ready to slay, one by one, the six people responsible. She’s already slashed the throat of one (Oliver Spenser) in Russia. And she’s got a rose tattoo to commemorate it. Five tattoos — and deaths — to go.

At 170 pages, In Cold Blood still seems too long. Perhaps it’s because so much of the novella is taken wholesale from Quentin Tarrantino’
Tulay
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really can't recommend this book.

Mark Dawson John Milton series are much better. Didn't care for Beatrix Rose character, she is more like a Super Woman. This short story didn't even engaged me.
Lisa
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this with my group friends so I don't want to influence their opinions on this book even though this is not a spoiler - PLEASE LOOK AWAY NOW GIRLS!!!

Ok, for some reason this book completely threw me because it wasn't at all what I expected. I was thinking Kill Bill style girl revenge yeahhhhh! But no, it wasn't really that at all.

Beatrix (ha!) is very serious and very deadly. I loved all the action with the details of weaponry and strategy but I did not feel her pain enough
Richard
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
As with all Mark Dawson's books, I loved the sense of place he creates in his writing whether the roof tops and souks in Morocco or the threat and expanse of the sea.
Some will have met Beatrix Rose previously; the three earlier set novellas in Hong Kong are very good. We now meet her with her daughter after a eight year gap. The ability to survive through use of your wits, guns and tradecraft she now wishes to pass on to Isabella for although she seeks revenge on those who killed her husband and
Wayne Stinnett
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My only complaint about In Cold Blood would be the redness of my eyes the next day. I couldn't put it down. As an action/adventure novelist myself, I found Dawson's first book in this series so compelling, I immediately bought the next one. Guess I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead.

Beatrix Rose is a very believable character. A former agent with MI6, she's meticulous in her tradecraft and raising a daughter that may well take her place one day. Not all warriors and special agents are men
J.F. Penn
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
I love reading kick ass female characters who get the job done better than their male counterparts. In hiding from those who would kill her and her daughter, Beatrix Rose goes on the offensive, tracking down one member of the team she escaped. She heads to the al Shabab controlled pirate area of Somalia, but will she make it in time?
Neil
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author introduced the main character, Beatrix Rose, to the reader during the John Milton series (Ghosts), and now she has a trilogy all of her own. Like Milton she was once the number 1 assassin for the British government, but unlike Milton who tried to retire, Rose was marked for termination herself. Her husband was killed, she herself was shot, and her daughter kidnapped. Now she wants her revenge, and Beatrix Rose is not the type of person you would want hunting you down.
The character dif
Mike (the Paladin)
Well...what can I say here. I'd say that I liked this book, but it had some long stretches of, yawnnnn.

The hook on this one is that Rose (her nom de plume so to speak) has been betrayed...badly. Rose does not forget as this was not a minor betrayal. She is going to track down the ones who betrayed her. There are however complications. These complications put her under a time crunch she can't beat and also involve the responsibility of...a daughter.

The story of Rose is actually engrossing, howeve
Lori Grace
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's all been said, many times, but I'll say it again. This is a well done, well written, well paced, well developed, well.. you get the idea. It's a good, good book. I immediately liked Beatrix. She has more character flaws than San Andreas, is a quirky parent at best, and it all works very well. I also loved the protagonist in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - another quirky (very different) female hero and Beatrix holds her own in comparison.

The action is good, she is an over-the-top but not
Astra Berry
Aug 09, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Randee
I read this for one of my book club's March member group read. One of the things I love about this book club is that I get to experience books I would never have chosen myself for one reason or another. It helps broaden my horizons and it's interesting to know what other die hard readers choose and enjoy. This story is a good case in point because I read all kinds of books but the three genres I typically do not read are romance, western and spy novels. I have never seen a James Bond movie and d ...more
Pupottina

È il primo libro di Mark Dawson che leggo ed è anche il primo che ha come protagonista Beatrix Rose, ex spia del servizio segreto britannico in cerca di vendetta per un paio di ottime ragioni: il rapimento della figlia e l'omicidio del marito. Beatrix Rose è decisamente bella e sexy. Ha il fascino delle donne indipendenti: quelle che sanno il fatto loro e anche molto di più. Beatrix è un di quelle che hanno spodestato gli uomini dai loro ruoli d'azione. È una donna d'azione che nella pianificazi
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Publisher) via (NetGalley) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Adult, Thriller
*Rating* 3.0

*My Thoughts*

Beatrix Rose was once the most dangerous assassin in an off-the-books government kill squad until her former boss betrayed her, her husband was gunned down, and her daughter kidnapped. A decade later, Beatrix emerges from the Hong Kong underworld with payback on her mind. It’s a
Jim A
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another very good action thriller from Mark Dawson. This one is a spin off of the John Milton series, featuring Beatrix Rose, who was first introduced in Ghosts featuring Milton.

For those who have not read Ghosts, Rose's back story is filled in about a third of the way through this novel so nothing is really lost to the reader.

This is the first of what will be a continuing series featuring Rose, or at least as long as Dawson can keep her alive. She is already dying of cancer (not a spoiler). A
David Dalton
Another well-written thriller by Mark Dawson. Not a slam-bam action fest as I first thought it might be (after all, it is an homage to the Kill Bill movies). A short novel and it gets to the point very quickly: Rose is out for revenge and will take on a deadly mission to Somalia just to knock one more guy off her list. Surrounded by Somali pirates and Navy SEALS, Rose is ready to go. My only gripe would be to make her story a tad longer (but nowhere near as long as a typical Clancy novel). With ...more
Michael
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Mark Dawson.
Mark Dawson has given us a first class spin-off from the John Milton series. With Beatrix as the former agent bent on revenge the action is fast-paced and the story extremely well written. Looking forward to the next instalment.
Karsyn
Meh. It was ok. Mainly boring. Beatrix is unlikable, probably because there really wasn't any character development for her.
Dawn
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great new book by Mark Dawson. Interesting plot, adventure and great characters set in areas of the world that are in the news today.
Trish R.
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

OK, so I don’t know how I feel about the heroine, Beatrix, in the midst of dying of cancer and popping morphine pills like they’re M&M’s for the pain. Yet, still able to take on and kill 8 bad guys by herself. Her revenge was a little extreme.

Overall, it was a good story, and I will be reading the next one as, I’m sure, she gets closer and closer to death while trying to get revenge on the people who killed her husband and took her daughter from her, for 8 years.

I did read/listen to the 4 Is
Terence M
Audiobook - 4:52 hours - Narrator: Mark Deakins
3.5 out of 5.0 stars rounded down.
Following the introduction of Beatrix Rose in John Milton #4, "Ghosts", I decided to read the Beatrix Rose series before moving on to Milton #5. Quite enthralling but the story finishes abruptly and at nearly 5:00 hours is too short for my liking, hence the 3.5 rounded down to 3.0. Good reading nonetheless and the storyline weaves in well with the John Milton books to date, but it is not necessary to have read john
Judith
I’m very disappointed in this novel. I just thought it was boring.
Jool
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a phenomenal book - along the lines of a Jack Reacher novel only the hero is female. This is the first of a series that I highly recommend. Excellent action and very realistic.
Robert Michael
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. However, I must say, the author takes one step too many. Female protag: check. Former elite super-secret operative: check. Betrayed by superior and watched her husband killed in front of her and her daughter: check. Forced to hide in exile to save her kidnapped daughter: check. Re-connects with daughter and begins training her in the art of violence: check. Vows to find and kill all the operatives involved in her husband's murder: check. Has inoperable cancer and so she must do this ...more
Eric_W
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I started this book about a year ago, dropped it in the middle for whatever reason, and then recently began reading Ghosts, #4 in the John Milton series, which I enjoy. In that one (see my review) Milton is helped out of a jam by the Russians who want him to locate Beatrix Rose, who had been #1 in “Control’s” British secret organization of assassins. Hence the backstory in the beginning of Ghosts wherein Rose’s husband is killed after she discovers that Control is running his own little perso ...more
Toni Osborne
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 1, in the Beatrix Rose trilogy

Be warned, once you start with the first book you will flip pages till you have reached the final chapter in book 3. This is a great series where the author takes the time to set up the stage in order to hook you up in his world then bang he pushes you into gritty action and one of those thrilling moment you will not want to let go. Yes that good.

Beatrix Rose, the protagonist, is an assassin with six names on her hit list. She has pay back on her mind and in “I
Kathleen R.
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall Stars: 4 STARS

Secret agencies
Crimes

Secrecies aren’t the best policies... or are they?

As the most dangerous assassin in a government kill squad, Beatrix Rose isn’t the kind of person you want to upset. Ambushed and betrayed by her team, she’s driven underground and plans revenge.
Years later, she emerges from the Hong Kong underworld with payback on her mind and a list of six people who must pay for what they did to her. With their lives. (Amazon Blurb)

For as long as I can remember, my m
Daniel
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was first introduced to Mark Dawson through the free novella, "1000 Yards" - which introduces the John Milton character. I jumpted into "In Cold Blood" - wanting to read another Dawson novel and finding this one was available through the Kindle Lending Library.

The story is formulaic in its approach, so no great surprises here. It's simply a well written story arc that engages the reader, just don't expect a bunch of weird twists and turns. While in some ways this is missed, the story works won
Paul
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dawson’s first outing with Beatrix Rose is gripping yet mesmerising; but also unbelievable. She faces astronomical odds in her encounters with the enemy, and we are given little background material to come to terms with the skills that she is blessed with in order to survive. We are thrust into the plot line of what could be her final hour as she battles with her terminal illness; and that's just alongside the combative action we witness in this title. I also felt that this was way too short to ...more
  • Cold Blue (Jonathan Thorpe, #1)
  • Test Pilot's Daughter: Revenge
  • Storm Surge
  • An Eye For Danger
  • LEGACY RISING
  • Fist of the Furor (Scribes of Medeisia #3)
  • The Cutting Edge
  • The Last Run (Queen & Country, #3)
  • Volcano Watch (Forensic Geology #3)
  • Hunting Nora Stone
  • Guns
  • Pawnbroker
  • The Tenth Circle (Blaine McCracken #11)
  • Young Junius
  • A Touch Of Magic
  • The Unforgivable Fix (Mort Grant #3)
  • The Prophecy (The Spirit Keeper, #2)
  • Sins of the Father
For news and special offers join Mark's mailing list at:

Mark Dawson was born in Lowestoft and grew up in Manchester and Chicago. He has worked as a lawyer and currently works in the London film industry. His first books, "The Art of Falling Apart" and "Subpoena Colada" have been published in multiple languages.

He is currently writing two series. Soho Noir is set in the Wes

Beatrix Rose (3 books)
  • Blood Moon Rising (Beatrix Rose, #2)
  • Blood and Roses (Beatrix Rose, #3)
“and passageways that were arranged with no order easy for a foreigner to discern. The busier” 0 likes
“introspective and” 0 likes