Start by marking “The Planter's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Planter's Daughter

The Planter's Daughter

4.55  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Adella Rose Ellis knows her father has plans for her future, but she longs for the freedom to forge her own destiny. When the son of Luther Ellis's longtime friend arrives on the plantation to work as the new overseer, Adella can't help but fall for his charm and captivating hazel eyes. But a surprise betrothal to an older man, followed by a devastating revelation, forces ...more
Published March 3rd 2017 by Smitten Historical Romance

To ask other readers questions about The Planter's Daughter, please sign up.
Michelle Shocklee Hello, Jane! Thank you for asking! YES! Book 2 in the series will release in February 2018. All three books are set on Rose Hill plantation but at…moreHello, Jane! Thank you for asking! YES! Book 2 in the series will release in February 2018. All three books are set on Rose Hill plantation but at different times. THE WIDOW OF ROSE HILL takes place in June 1865. History lovers will recognize that date -- the Civil War had ended and Union troops arrived on Texas' shores with the Emancipation Proclamation, freeing over 250,000+ Texas slaves still in bondage. Lots of changes coming to Rose Hill and its residents! Stay tuned! :D (less)

Tony Parsons
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5/1859, Williamson County, TX. Rose Hill Manor. Adella Rose Ellis (20) was preparing the servants to get the house ready for Natalie Langford (fiancé) & George (Adella’s brother) wedding.
Luther Ellis (papa, widower) had arrived back home early.
He introduced everyone to Seth Brantley (Daniel’s son, new overseer, former Texas Ranger).
There were 90 slaves to tend to on the plantation.
Seth was not looking forwarding to the sale of slaves.
Old Joseph normally drove the plantation wagon.
Monroe w
Cindy Huff
I love Civil War Historicals with accurate information. Settings that place me there and plots sprinkled with the conflicts of the period. This book does all that and more. I fell in love with these well-crafted characters. When I turned the last page, mixed emotions grabbed me. The ending was perfect but I want to know more. Now I can’t wait for the next installment.
Crystal Lindsey
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully written moving story that remains in your mind long after the ending. My review could never do this book justice.
Pre civil war it depicts life in reality on a Texas plantation. The arrogant attitude of the wealthy and cruel lives suffered by slaves who excepted their lot of hard work and no appreciation. The planter's daughter brings the history of that time into reality.
Adella is the planter's daughter a young woman who's sweet Christian mother influences her character. She disp
Patsy Birdwell
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to read. It has love, compassion and empathy as well as suspense, and raw fear. It also educates you on the life a female had to endure during this time period.
Mary
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adella grew up as the only daughter on a plantation playing with slave children. She didn't think herself better being white, neither did her mother have those feelings of superiority. Her mother died as Adella reached maturity and soon after her only brother was to marry a young lady named Natalie. Natalie would become the true mistress of the manor now becoming the new Mrs. Ellis. Adella knew her father had been looking for a promising match for her, but before that happened, a former acquaint ...more
Linda Dickerson
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story of love and forgiveness

Beautiful story of love for others, forgiveness and healing. A story which takes the reader into the life of slavery and the wealthy plantation owners and their cruelty. I enjoyed the characters who loved, respected and appreciated the slaves and made great sacrifices to help the slaves escape to freedom. This is a book which sticks with you long after you have finished reading. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes history. Great read!!! ☺
Marjorie Hill
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great read.

Michelle Shockley drew me into The Planter 's Daughter with her strong characters as they lived through the story. Adellia Rose and Seth must deal with tough decisions as they struggle with slavery in all of it's multidimensional ugliness. I highly recommend this book.
Katie Smith
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful written

I enjoyed every minute of this beautifully written & historical novel! Love, faith, grace & forgiveness are weaved throughout the story! I can't wait for book 2!
Mary Coates
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A riveting read

Could not put the book down. It was very well written. There were no boring parts and it was fast moving. Will recommend to friends.
Karilyn
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well written

I loved this story from beginning to end!! I feel the author really touched on this timeframe well. Sad, happy, revolting, love...
luayne
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT

Great story. Would love to read a sequel to see how everyone fairs after the great escape. Highly to go anyone old enough to understand slavery.
Marie Wilfong
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A finely written story of courage on a southern plantation, just prior to the Civil War. I really enjoyed the mix in this book of drama and romance and the vividness of the characters true to their roles. I could clearly picture in my mind's eye what I thought about each of them. A page-turner, could hardly put it down kind of book. I hope this author will continue the story in subsequent books.
Roxanne
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great historical fiction!

The time is 1859. The setting of this book is on a large cotton plantation in Texas. The plantation owner's daughter, as indicated by the title, is the focus of this book.If you love this era, then you will love the storyline.The author does a great job of mixing romance, drama, and history of plantation life.
Pegg
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Civil War era stories and this one stands out to me because of its setting. It takes place in Texas. While that state played a part in the Civil War, it doesn't garner a lot of attention in historical fiction. We tend to get stuck in Gettysburg or Richmond or Savannah and forget that men who died in those places came from long distances to support their cause.

This story actually takes place just prior to the Civil War. The author plunks the reader down on a cotton plantation in Texas. She
Janet Nast
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice to read a book with a smart woman...

Seems like the last few books I've read, the main female character is always making stupid, life threatening decisions. So, although it's disturbing to read about slavery all together, it was refreshing to see the lead woman think before she spoke or acted, and make smart decisions while still being a lady. This could have easily fallen into the typical historical (hysterical) mushy, romance filled with "pulsing, throbbing" everything, but instead it told
Cindy
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I really enjoyed it.
Honeymoon Reader
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG FABULOUS!

Just when I thought my previous book was fantastic, and it was, I bumped into this one! AND OMG this writing! This talent! This one is probably the best book I have ever read! If you like historical fiction, for the love of god read this one! This book is a jewel! Fabulous writing! Enjoyed thoroughly!
Deborah W. Holman
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just finishing "The Planter's Daughter" and I'm still in awe ! This book is awesome !! Wonderful unforgettable characters. No one should pass up reading this great book by Michelle Shockee. Anxious to read her next ones.
GJ S
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Historical novel

This book was so hard to read how so many slaves were mistreated, but I praise the Lord there were republicans who despised people owning other people. I am grateful I can look back with pride there were heroes (republicans) fought for freedom for all even though democrats were so hateful they wanted only white skinned people to have freedom. This story showed the dangers the tender hearted people faced with much courage. I recommend the author.
Juanita Byrd
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book

This book was at the least thought provoking. A good story about slavery in the south and the shame of owning a human being.
Martha
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was trying to come in between a two star and three star. A two star, is "Its ok"... and that is really where this one fell for me.
It had an interesting storyline, enough that I kept reading, but it just feel flat in places for me. I really wanted to like it. It might be different for another reader, but somehow I struggled to connect to the hero. Someone else may just love him, but I really didn't connect with him until almost the very end when he semi-won me over.
Anyhow, if you enjoy storie
Patsy
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before the Civil War in 1859, Adella Rose Ellis grew up on Rose Hill Plantation in Williamson County, Texas. The Plantation had 90 slaves to work in the Cotton Fields. Adella's father, Luther Ellis had planned an arranged marriage for her to an older, wealthy gentlemen to keep their Plantation from going into ruins. A new overseer, Seth Brantley was hired, he was handsome, charming and had eyes only for Adella. Seth was a good worker and treated the slaves fairly.

This is a good southern historic
KATE CHRISTIAN
Aug 10, 2017
Bronya
May 26, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Michelle Shocklee is the author of THE PLANTER'S DAUGHTER and THE WIDOW OF ROSE HILL, historical sagas set on a Texas cotton plantation in the 1800s.

Born and raised in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Michelle is a Rocky Mountain girl at heart. But after living in Texas for thirty years with her tall Texan husband, she grew to truly appreciate the Lone Star State's rugged beauty. Passionate about history, s
More about Michelle Shocklee
“furrowed, and she leaned forward as though she’d seen him in the darkness. Jerking back behind the plant, he decided it wouldn’t be good to be found on the porch.” 0 likes