Start by marking “Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat, #1)” as Want to Read:
Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat, #1)

Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School

(Two Dogs in a Trench Coat #1)

Little dog Waldo and big dog Sassy are the best at what they do. They keep out squirrels and imminent intruders. They make sure there are no stray meatballs or muffin crumbs in the kitchen. And most of all, they protect their boy, Stewart. But something is wrong. Every day Stewart trudges off to an awful place called school. The dogs know it's awful because Stewart's paren ...more
Hardcover
Published May 29th 2018 by Scholastic (first published May 28th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School

Start your review of Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat, #1)
Kari
May 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was dumb. It had many plot issues. One dog could speak human, the other dog was surprised by this but then suddenly, inexplicably is able to do the same with zero reasoning why. The “problem” in the story (waiting too long to work on a big project for school) is solved by doing it last minute and still getting an A++. Not the best lesson for a book to teach... the idea that two dogs in a trench coat could fool 9 year olds, the teacher, principal and secretary for days is far fetched as ...more
Ms. Yingling
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Waldo and Sassy are hard working dogs who scour the floor for meatballs and keep their humans' house safe from squirrels every day, even when the humans give them the Breakfast of Distraction and escape every day. They worry about their boy, Stewart, who seems very sad to go to school, so they work out a plan to get into the building and check out Stewart's evil overlords. Luckily, Waldo can speak human, so when he shows up at school wearing a trench coat and blaming all
Karina
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun and funny book! Sure to please new readers. Love all of the food references!
Melissa
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how I feel about this book. Maybe my expectations were too high going in? The premise sounds hilarious, but it just didn't work for me. Also it got annoying that every time a food was mentioned it was in bold. Somehow seeing the word "meat" in bold ten times on a page lacks appeal. I know the story is from the dogs' perspective, but it seemed unnecessary, and if you're going to do that why not bold everything that would excite a dog, like squirrel? (and there were a ton of squirrels ...more
Dylan
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you judge this book by its cover or its title, you won't be disappointed. Surprisingly, the book manages to be funny and remain funny throughout its entirety - truly an impressive feat in a children's book.

I think this will be a popular title among younger readers.
Bridget Neace
May 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, vrc-20-21
DNF.

Because seriously? I'm expected to buy that seeing a figure wearing a trench coat with a DOG'S head doesn't clue people in on the fact that the figure is a dog? I will suspend my disbelief for many things, but not this.
Margo Tanenbaum
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great new series for ages 8-12 who are fans of books like Captain Underpants or Bad Kitty.
Eti
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely necessary reading right now. I needed the joyful, hilarious hijinks of Sassy and Waldo as they go to school to take care of their boy, Stewart - and try to understand the strange thing that is school - excelling at gym and lunch, of course... I listened to the audiobook which is narrated by Oliver Wyman but feels like a full cast. (I also have been attending Julie's instagram live reading, which are also giving me life.) If you're looking for a hilarious, distracting, wonderful book t ...more
Jaclyn
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids
*I received an ARC of this from Scholastic in exchange for an honest review*

I couldn't get into this book. It sounded funny, but as an adult, I didn't think it was. I could see how children would find the ridiculousness of two dogs in a trench coat going to school and the slapstick humor funny. The plot seemed to be all over the place and was too unbelievable for me to follow with any enjoyment. A dog that can talk? How do the adults not even realize they're not humans? I'll share with my kids,
Cherie Gilmore
2019-2020 Bluebonnet nominee.
My daughter enjoyed this book as she said it had a funny concept with dogs going to school. Fans of Captain Underpants will probably love this book as well.
As an adult, I didn’t find the story pulled me in. I also couldn’t imagine how a talking dog could go to school. Surely someone would notice a hairy student with a snout. However, I would still recommend this to elementary aged readers. I enjoyed the humor throughout the book. I just wouldn’t chose this one to r
Abby
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sassy and Waldo, Stewart’s dogs and stars of the book, are endearing characters. Keeping up with them and their school journey was fun. I think Stewart has an easy time due to his helpful dogs, and I wish he would be held accountable more. Alas, cute story.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
This book is just pure fun! So hilarious! We need more silly chapter books in the world!
Jen Van Fleet
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kyndel’s review: This book is super funny with two dogs who sneak into school to help Stewart. My favorite part was when Stewart gave his chaotic presentation!
Eileen W
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it
These books were just ok for me, but my 9 year old daughter found them entertaining.....so I'll bump it up a star since she's in the target reading age, and I clearly am not!
Melanie
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious for kids and adults
Gavin
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I really liked this book and it was a good fit for me
Jenn
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute, very fun partial-graphic novel about two clever dogs who miss their boy so decide to disguise themselves and join him at school. Some of the absurdist commentary may go over the heads of younger readers, but parents will enjoy the jokes.
Dannie Moore
Julie Falatko is at it again with this amazing and hilarious chapter book! From the perspective of dogs, Falatko has captured the thought process of a dog (as humans perceive it, anyway) beautifully. Even the writing style feels as though a dog wrote the book. It's truly a canine masterpiece that had me giggling from cover to cover. Meatball!
Melanie Dulaney
This nominee for the 2019-2020 Texas Bluebonnet Award had me laughing out loud and will likely have many of my 4th and 5th graders moving into “guffaw” territory. Sassy and Waldo take their dog-jobs very seriously, but that is the only thing that gets that adverb! These two are determined to keep the house squirrel free and to get to the bottom of Stewart’s problem with that dreaded place called School. Author Julie Falatko has them dressing up in an old trench coat and waltzing into Bea Arthur ...more
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Funny and ridiculous transitional book (chapter book/middle grade). Colin Jack's illustrations were perfect. Some of the dialogue and how it was indicated was a bit confusing, though.
Rebecca Caufman
Sep 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Natasia
This was fun, I think that kids will like it and find it funny. Probably a good recommendation for kids that like the I, Funny series or Dan Gutman.
Anica
Nov 08, 2017 added it
So fun. I giggled my way through this, then shared it with my 10-year-old niece, who declared, "It's really funny. I definitely want to read a sequel. The dogs are hilarious." Two paws up!
Andréa
Mar 09, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, arc, animals, a-owns
Note: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher at ALA Midwinter 2018.
Deborah
Apr 18, 2018 added it
Shelves: middle-grade
Is it hilarious? Of course. It's by Julie Falatko!
Ingrid
A silly and funny book that kids are sure to enjoy.
Rachel
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this ARC from the publisher's booth at North Texas Teen Book Festival. I had no idea what to expect -- but it was actually pretty cute! It's a VERY good depiction of "dog logic," though things did get a bit repetitive at times. Overall, it was pretty funny, and I think kids will enjoy it more than I did.

I'm a little bit obsessed with the idea of Squirreltown. That was probably my favorite part of the book. (Dog lore! I love that the dogs have their own belief system.)

I mostly read Ad
Stephanie Croaning
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for young readers who are ready to read longer chapter books but still rely on illustrations to help them decode or tackle longer text. The story is silly and fun and could appeal to Captain Underpants fans.

Chapter book, fiction
by Julie Falatko; illustrated by Colin Jack
Scholastic Press, 2018
4 out of 5 stars

Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School is the first book in what will be a series featuring Sassy and Waldo. The two dogs are a lovable pair who unwittingly make the wor
Becky B
Waldo and Sassy are dogs. They are very good at protecting their house from the squirrel invasion, napping, and eating treats. They also love their humans. And when they notice that Stewart, their boy, keeps coming home from this place called school smelling bored and anxious, they decide it must be an awful place. With a trench coat, some balancing skills, and Waldo's ability to speak human, the dogs cook up a plan to go to this school place and rescue Stewart.

I've seen a lot of rave reviews of
Barbara
Sassy and Waldo love their human companion, Stewart. But like many dogs, they wonder why he has to leave them every day for a place called school that he seems to hate so much. They decide to try to keep him home, and when that doesn't work, they put on a trench coat, and work together to infiltrate the place. As it turns out, school isn't half as bad as they had imagined, and the two dogs have a blast attending the classes and playing ball. They even point out that Bax, a boy that Stewart is co ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Captain Superlative
  • Me, Frida, and the Secret of the Peacock Ring
  • The Adventures of a Girl Called Bicycle
  • The Dragon Slayer: Folktales from Latin America
  • The Boo-Boos That Changed the World: A True Story about an Accidental Invention (Really!)
  • Saving Winslow
  • From an Idea to Disney: How Branding Made Disney a Household Name
  • Shadow Weaver (Shadow Weaver, #1)
  • Stay
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Rocket to the Moon! (Big Ideas That Changed the World, #1)
  • No More Poems!: A Book in Verse That Just Gets Worse
  • The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl
  • Frankie Sparks and the Class Pet
Julie Falatko is a modern day gadabout with the ability to have deep and meaningful conversations with kitchen appliances, who can parallel park with an 87% success rate, and who writes stories about misunderstood animals trying to find their place in the world. Please hold your applause until the end.

Julie grew up in New Jersey, an only child surrounded by books. She decided at age 8 that she wan

Two Dogs in a Trench Coat (4 books)
  • Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Start a Club by Accident (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat, #2)
  • Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go on a Class Trip (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat, #3)
  • Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Enter Stage Left (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat #4)