Start by marking “Suggested Reading” as Want to Read:
Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

In this standalone, a bookworm finds a way to fight back when her school bans dozens of classic and meaningful books.

Clara Evans is horrified when she discovers her principal’s “prohibited media” hit list. The iconic books on the list have been pulled from the library and aren’t allowed anywhere on the school’s premises. Students caught with the contraband will be sternly
Published September 17th 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Suggested Reading, please sign up.
Dave Connis Hey Cherie!

Hey Cherie!

I haven't read Ban This Book, but after reading the summary the themes and plot points sound very similar. It may just be the MG counterpart to Suggested Reading. I'll have to read it now. Thanks! :D(less)

Start your review of Suggested Reading
C.G. Drews
This is the kind of book that left me with a LOT to think about. It manages to be softly dorky, a love letter to bookworm problems, and also slam you in the chest with some intense themes to sort through. Like, honestly, at first I was all, "This is cute," and then by the end, I'm like "WHAT ARE MY MORAL STANDINGS ON THIS ISSUE." I was just marking all these passages to share, but what I really need to do is sort of slide the book over to you and whisper reeeead it.

things to look forward to:
→ Cl
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
"Books are wild things. You can't tame them. People are wild things. You can't tame them, either. Put those two together and you can't know what's going to happen..."
Suggested Reading by Dave connis is a wonderful story about the power and magic of books.. It's truly a love letter to book lovers and feels so right. My heart is so happy and full after reading this and I just can't help but be grateful to the warm and fuzzy feelings I get from this books.

After a list of over 50 books
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to HarperTeen for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review
"Books are a light. A light that melts ignorance and hate."

Wow. Wow. Just... wow. I was absolutely blown away by this book.

So, what's this book about?
Suzi Evelyn
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.49 (2.5 if goodreads would get their act together n give us half stars) stars

great ideas, poor execution
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC from Harper Collins Canada in exchange for an honest review.

When I first heard about this book at the HCCFRENZY event, I was so disappointed when I didn’t receive it in my goodie bag but like always, Harper comes in clutch and gave me a copy for a review and I can’t thank them enough. Suggest Reading easily made it to the top books I have read in 2019 with its addictive story about Clara who loves reading more than you and I. Her passion for books, literature, and words will
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Y.A. readers and teachers
I have to admit, this one dragged a bit in the beginning, but once it hit momentum, there was no stopping it! Impossible to put down after that point!
Several reviewers have written that “Suggested Reading” is a love letter to books. I couldn’t agree more! Honestly, I don’t ever feel that I’ve completed a book until I’ve shared my feelings about it with someone else; love finding someone to read passages aloud to! Like Clare, the protagonist, books have shaped my life from a very young age. I was
Sheila Beaumont
This is a wonderful, thought-provoking book in which a voracious reader and high school senior fights back when the principal bans more than 50 books, among them such modern classics as Speak, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Flowers for Algernon. Bibliophile Clara Evans starts running an underground library, or "Unlib," out of her locker. It's an inspiring tale that's a celebration of the power of books and friendship. I loved the characters, the story, the humor, and the quotations from th ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, ya, arcs
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Clara lived and breathed books. 😉 She had this unbridled passion for the written word and the power it possessed. Therefore, when she inadvertently learned that many of her favorite books were being placed on a "prohibited" media list, she decided to fight back, and created an underground library. However, as word of the Unlib spread, Clara found herself wondering if the rewards outweighed the risks.

This was a book about a rabid reader, which celebrated the power of books. How c
Giulia
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
"Books illuminate something different for all of us. Books change lives because they’re matches."

TW: homophobia, abuse, attempted suicide

This was a pleasant and enjoyable read with a touch of darkness I did not see coming.
I gotta be honest, my expectations weren’t high for this book – I just wanted to enjoy it, have a somewhat light read. And that was precisely what Suggested Reading offered, and then it also offered some more.

I thought this book particularly appropriate to read during the Ban
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

3.5*

Ah, who doesn't love a book about books, right? Right. This was pretty enjoyable, so let's get to it!

What I Liked:

• Books are basically the hero of the story. Sure, Clara and others have a role in ensuring that they get into the hands of those who need them, but they're just the vessel. Books are making the true difference here.

• Clara isn't always likable. "Wait, what?"
Chasity
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Heartfelt and sincere. I liked a lot about this. The cover and premise drew me in right away. The main character, Clara, was smart, loved books, and had a fun personality. Her friends were also quite likable, and I enjoyed their storylines. There were times I was emotionally drawn to them and the events occurring. I loved the quotes at the beginning of the chapters and appreciated the references.

But, even with some of the subject matter, I thought it was soft and not as edgy as I expected (hoped
Ms. Turley
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it’s only like 3.5-4 stars, but banned books and the concept of telling someone they can’t read something holds a special place in my heart. Shout out to my mom for smuggling Harry Potter to a group of kids when their parents said they couldn’t read it. She started me on this journey. This book brought back all those feelings and great memories from books. Books are a light. Bring on the book love.
Rachel Mayes Allen
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book could have been so good. The concept was compelling; the private school setting was well-drawn; the themes were profoundly relevant. But the writing lacked subtlety. The dialogue was awkwardly preachy: the author overrelied on direct characterization; and the plot failed to hold together (the ending made absolutely no sense given the plot up to that point). I wanted to like it, but I'm afraid the best part was the beautiful cover.
HunterofArtemis
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found strength here.
Kevin
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Prohibited media”? It sounded somewhat innocuous, but something pulled at my gut, telling me that it was policy-ese. Synonyms for prohibited included banned. Synonyms for
media included books, videos, board games, and games,

How they could tell me that these books weren’t good, or that their content was somehow “inappropriate” for me. Or, if not that, that there was some reason that it was better for me not to read them. That what they had to say wasn’t useful or was maybe even harmful.

I loved
Fefyy Antela
I love books about books and this one had EVERYTHING I need to be happy ❤️

This is about a strong and sassy female protagonist who loves the same books I do and is willing to stand up and defy the system when she finds out some [of her favorite] books are being banned in her school... I mean, PLEASE! This is amazing 🤩

Loved it so much 👏🏼
Nev
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
A private school in Tennessee bans over 50 books from being taught or being available in the school library. Clara Evans, an avid reader and library volunteer, is horrified by this. Some of the books on the list have greatly impacted her life. Before the school can get rid of the books, Clara takes them and starts her own underground library, dealing banned books to the other students.

The first three quarters of the book probably would’ve been a 4 star book for me. I was really enjoying it even
Dark
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 out of 5 stars

What a fun read! Such a great concept!

A book about books. Something all of us bookworms can relate to and enjoy!

I found Suggested Reading refreshing. With a well written plot and a character driven story it was a light-hearted read that touches on some heavy topics.

Clara's passion for reading and her love for books was admirable. By starting the locker library she shared this love with others and impacted their lives greatly. What Clara may not have know was how much she was goin
Emm  Louis
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Read this if you believe in the power of books and the love of reading.
Max Baker
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Edelweiss for providing me a free review copy in exchange for an honest review

Banned books have a rich and lustrous history of pinpointing things people are afraid of and then forcing them to confront said fears. I mean, just scrolling through the list of the most challenged books, it's easy to see why they people think they should be banned (it's mostly because sex is icky and authority figures should be blindly listened too). But the books that are challenged are also the most though
ana ⚔
May 01, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020-reads
I'm so glad I've read this. I LOVED the library appreciation in this book. It was both entertaining and thought provoking, with so, so many interesting things discussed.

At times it was cute and easy to read and then a few pages later, it managed to make me really think about the topics that were discussed, and it even made me angry at times, but overall I would recommend this to anyone, especially to a book lover.
Katherine
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, ya
Can't recall the last time a book created such division in me. Clara Evans' crusade to smuggle newly-banned books to her classmates felt like an uncomfortable merging of The Librarian of Auschwitz's Dita Kraus and the actual crusades: a noble mission fueled more by ego and revenge than by any actual good intent. The dialogue between the teens in this book had strong John Green flavoring, as in too verbose to be believable as actual human adolescents, but that's just a longstanding personal gripe ...more
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I liked this but not as much as everyone else. Hope to have a review up soon
Mary
I was pretty disappointed in this book. I thought the concept was great, but the execution was mediocre. Clara's navel-gazing got old pretty fast. I was hoping for a more active, group-effort rebellion against the book banning at her school, rather than this whiny, one-girl show. I got tired of her bemoaning how busy she was checking out the banned books from her "Unlib." Really? You've got an app for that. She had over 50 books in it and she kept recommending and/or checking out the same 5 or 6 ...more
Sara G.
May 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
The second star is because a. She didn’t end with Ashton b. Jack was gay and I genuinely didn’t see that coming.

Otherwise, EWWWWWWWWW THIS BOOK SUUUUUCKKKEEEDD.

I want to take all men who think they should write from the point of view of teenage girls and SLAP THEM ACROSS THEIR FACES. They are all SO BAD AT IT. John Green. Hank Green. This dude. I can’t think of others right now but I’ve felt this way so often.

This book tried so hard to be smart, but it was just confusing. It tried to be sweet
Jessica Young
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought I would love this book. A book about a student’s fight against her school’s attempt to ban important works of fiction? Yes, please! But the execution of the story left something to be desired. The main character was rather one dimensional. I just couldn’t identify with her and she wasn’t very interesting. Disappointing.
Matthew
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Connis expertly crafts a wonderful story about the cost of banning books and the risks worth taking.
Matthew Hubbard
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cat
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In general, I enjoyed this book. The concept and story were good. I also liked that it covered the subject of censorship in a way that feels realistic. Not every ban is a burn, so it was a great read I would recommend to my students to understand how modern book bans happen every day.

My only note (and I admit might be due to the fact that I am no long teen) was that I found some of the dialogue to be too cheesy. There were times I just wanted to yell at the character that her favorite (fictional
Neelam Babul
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a touching, thought-provoking book in which a voracious reader and high school senior fights back when the principal bans more than 50 books, among them such modern classics as Speak, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Flowers for Algernon.

Clara Evans, a bibliophile and avid reader, starts running an underground library, or "Unlib," out of her locker with assistance from her library administrator and friends. It is an inspiring tale that is a celebration of the power of books and frie

• The Stolen Kingdom (The Stolen Kingdom #1)
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • Housewitch
  • Songs from the Deep
  • Âge Tendre
  • In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)
  • Girls of July
  • A Royal Christmas Wish: An enchanting Christmas romance from Hallmark Publishing
  • The Edge of Anything
  • Harley in the Sky
  • Rose Rage
  • Verify (Verify, #1)
  • Le syndrôme du spaghetti
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
  • Some Places More Than Others