Start by marking “Suggested Reading” as Want to Read:
Suggested Reading

Suggested Reading

In this standalone, a bookworm finds a way to fight back when her school bans dozens of classic and meaningful books.

Clara Evans is horrified when she discovers her principal’s “prohibited media” hit list. The iconic books on the list have been pulled from the library and aren’t allowed anywhere on the school’s premises. Students caught with the contraband will be sternly
Published September 17th 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Suggested Reading, please sign up.
Dave Connis Hey Cherie!

Hey Cherie!

I haven't read Ban This Book, but after reading the summary the themes and plot points sound very similar. It may just be the MG counterpart to Suggested Reading. I'll have to read it now. Thanks! :D(less)

Start your review of Suggested Reading
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
"Books are wild things. You can't tame them. People are wild things. You can't tame them, either. Put those two together and you can't know what's going to happen..."
Suggested Reading by Dave connis is a wonderful story about the power and magic of books.. It's truly a love letter to book lovers and feels so right. My heart is so happy and full after reading this and I just can't help but be grateful to the warm and fuzzy feelings I get from this books.

After a list of over 50 books are
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC from Harper Collins Canada in exchange for an honest review.

When I first heard about this book at the HCCFRENZY event, I was so disappointed when I didn’t receive it in my goodie bag but like always, Harper comes in clutch and gave me a copy for a review and I can’t thank them enough. Suggest Reading easily made it to the top books I have read in 2019 with its addictive story about Clara who loves reading more than you and I. Her passion for books, literature, and words will
Sheila Beaumont
This is a wonderful, thought-provoking book in which a voracious reader and high school senior fights back when the principal bans more than 50 books, among them such modern classics as Speak, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Flowers for Algernon. Bibliophile Clara Evans starts running an underground library, or "Unlib," out of her locker. It's an inspiring tale that's a celebration of the power of books and friendship. I loved the characters, the story, the humor, and the quotations from ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, ya, 2019
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Clara lived and breathed books. She had this unbridled passion for the written word and the power it possessed. Therefore, when she inadvertently learned that many of her favorite books were being placed on a "prohibited" media list, she decided to fight back, and created an underground library. However, as word of the Unlib spread, Clara found herself wondering if the rewards outweighed the risks.

This was a book about a rabid reader, which celebrated the power of books. How
Suzi Evelyn
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.49 (2.5 if goodreads would get their act together n give us half stars) stars

great ideas, poor execution
Giulia
"Books illuminate something different for all of us. Books change lives because they’re matches."

TW: homophobia, abuse, attempted suicide

This was a pleasant and enjoyable read with a touch of darkness I did not see coming.
I gotta be honest, my expectations weren’t high for this book – I just wanted to enjoy it, have a somewhat light read. And that was precisely what Suggested Reading offered, and then it also offered some more.

I thought this book particularly appropriate to read during the
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

3.5*

Ah, who doesn't love a book about books, right? Right. This was pretty enjoyable, so let's get to it!

What I Liked:

• Books are basically the hero of the story. Sure, Clara and others have a role in ensuring that they get into the hands of those who need them, but they're just the vessel. Books are making the true difference here.

• Clara isn't always likable. "Wait, what?" you
Kevin
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Prohibited media”? It sounded somewhat innocuous, but something pulled at my gut, telling me that it was policy-ese. Synonyms for prohibited included banned. Synonyms for
media included books, videos, board games, and games,

How they could tell me that these books weren’t good, or that their content was somehow “inappropriate” for me. Or, if not that, that there was some reason that it was better for me not to read them. That what they had to say wasn’t useful or was maybe even harmful.

I loved
Ms. Turley
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it’s only like 3.5-4 stars, but banned books and the concept of telling someone they can’t read something holds a special place in my heart. Shout out to my mom for smuggling Harry Potter to a group of kids when their parents said they couldn’t read it. She started me on this journey. This book brought back all those feelings and great memories from books. Books are a light. Bring on the book love.
Neville Longbottom
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
A private school in Tennessee bans over 50 books from being taught or being available in the school library. Clara Evans, an avid reader and library volunteer, is horrified by this. Some of the books on the list have greatly impacted her life. Before the school can get rid of the books, Clara takes them and starts her own underground library, dealing banned books to the other students.

The first three quarters of the book probably would’ve been a 4 star book for me. I was really enjoying it even
Nichole
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 out of 5 stars

What a fun read! Such a great concept!

A book about books. Something all of us bookworms can relate to and enjoy!

I found Suggested Readingrefreshing. With a well written plot and a character driven story it was a light-hearted read that touches on some heavy topics.

Clara's passion for reading and her love for books was admirable. By starting the locker library she shared this love with others and impacted their lives greatly. What Clara may not have know was how much she was going
Chasity
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Heartfelt and sincere. I liked a lot about this. The cover and premise drew me in right away. The main character, Clara, was smart, loved books, and had a fun personality. Her friends were also quite likable, and I enjoyed their storylines. There were times I was emotionally drawn to them and the events occurring. I loved the quotes at the beginning of the chapters and appreciated the references.

But, even with some of the subject matter, I thought it was soft and not as edgy as I expected
Fefyy Antela
I love books about books and this one had EVERYTHING I need to be happy

This is about a strong and sassy female protagonist who loves the same books I do and is willing to stand up and defy the system when she finds out some [of her favorite] books are being banned in her school... I mean, PLEASE! This is amazing

Loved it so much
Emm  Louis
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Read this if you believe in the power of books and the love of reading.
Katherine
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fiction
Can't recall the last time a book created such division in me. Clara Evans' crusade to smuggle newly-banned books to her classmates felt like an uncomfortable merging of The Librarian of Auschwitz's Dita Kraus and the actual crusades: a noble mission fueled more by ego and revenge than by any actual good intent. The dialogue between the teens in this book had strong John Green flavoring, as in too verbose to be believable as actual human adolescents, but that's just a longstanding personal gripe ...more
Max Baker
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Edelweiss for providing me a free review copy in exchange for an honest review

Banned books have a rich and lustrous history of pinpointing things people are afraid of and then forcing them to confront said fears. I mean, just scrolling through the list of the most challenged books, it's easy to see why they people think they should be banned (it's mostly because sex is icky and authority figures should be blindly listened too). But the books that are challenged are also the most
Matthew
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Connis expertly crafts a wonderful story about the cost of banning books and the risks worth taking.
Cat
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In general, I enjoyed this book. The concept and story were good. I also liked that it covered the subject of censorship in a way that feels realistic. Not every ban is a burn, so it was a great read I would recommend to my students to understand how modern book bans happen every day.

My only note (and I admit might be due to the fact that I am no long teen) was that I found some of the dialogue to be too cheesy. There were times I just wanted to yell at the character that her favorite
Neelam Babul
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a touching, thought-provoking book in which a voracious reader and high school senior fights back when the principal bans more than 50 books, among them such modern classics as Speak, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Flowers for Algernon.

Clara Evans, a bibliophile and avid reader, starts running an underground library, or "Unlib," out of her locker with assistance from her library administrator and friends. It is an inspiring tale that is a celebration of the power of books and
Zaina
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the greatest books I have ever read.

Suggested Reading perfectly captures the magic of books and reading. It makes you question why books are so great, why our favorite books are our favorite books, and why books are so necessary to our world. It was inspiring. The description does not do this book justice. It’s way more than just “kids are angry about banned books.”

“What do you do in a place that tells you over and over that you matter, but once you take a step into the open to
Jessica Young
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought I would love this book. A book about a student’s fight against her school’s attempt to ban important works of fiction? Yes, please! But the execution of the story left something to be desired. The main character was rather one dimensional. I just couldn’t identify with her and she wasn’t very interesting. Disappointing.
Candyce Kirk
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review to follow soon!
Andria Sedig
I absolutely adored this book! It wasn't on my radar but was included in Once Upon a Book Club and I am so glad that it did because it's quickly become one of my favorites this year. Essentially, this book follows Clara as she runs a banned book library out of her locker to protest the school's new banned book policy. I loved all of the conversation about books and the power of words throughout this story and also loved the character growth throughout. What a great, powerful read.
Michelle
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

I consumed this book like it was made of white chocolate Reese's. I've never seen a book written about banned books and the way this story talks about the phenomena while also discussing so many other important subjects is nothing short of brilliant. From page one, this book hooks you with vibrant characters that feel real and a plot that eerily sounds like something that has occurred.
Susan
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've said this a few times lately, most recently when I reviewed His Hideous Heart and maybe I shouldn't fight it so much, but I do. I don't like talking about books from an educational standpoint too much. It isn't why I started Novel Lives. In fact, it is the opposite reason.

full review at Novellives.com
Shawn
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
If I could give this book more than 5 stars I would! This book is definitely one of my new favorites!
Dylan
Mar 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
i need this...now???
Matthew Hubbard
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zulfiya
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5

I love to hate YA ... American authors treat teenagers as immature, emotion driven, shallow, sex-obsessed creatures, and they mostly are ... The thing that bothers me about YA is that it turned into money-making business. So many authors " produce" so many formulaic, repetitive books that it remind me of genre fiction. Add characters that annoy you with their shallowness and express nothing that I could relate, too.
Most of the American YA characters are exactly like that - their are aliens
FloeticFlo
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in a day, while waiting for No Show Hurricane Dorian. (Side note: I am still so sad about the Bahamas! Sending out prayers and well wishes to them for what they endured.) Anyway, even though I joked to my husband that I was able to read this in a day because the words were big, it was really because of the short chapters and the writing style. Connis has a simple, direct writing style. It's just so easy. I found myself flipping page after page and hardly realizing how many had ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Stolen Kingdom: An Aladdin Retelling
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • Housewitch
  • Songs from the Deep
  • A Royal Christmas Wish: An Enchanting Christmas Romance from Hallmark Publishing
  • Girls of July
  • Today We Go Home
  • The Jinni Key: A Little Mermaid Retelling (The Stolen Kingdom Series Book 2)
  • A Thousand Roads Home
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
  • Unpregnant (Unpregnant, #1)
  • Verify (Verify #1)
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • All the Things We Do in the Dark
  • No One's Home
  • Three Things I Know Are True
  • The How & the Why
“There was literally no nook or cranny of my life that hadn’t been guided by a book, and, for the most part, it had been an uninterrupted journey.” 6 likes
“Books are a light. A light that melts ignorance and hate.” 6 likes