Start by marking “Our Stories, Our Voices: 21 YA Authors Get Real About Injustice, Empowerment, and Growing Up Female in America” as Want to Read:

From Amy Reed, Ellen Hopkins, Amber Smith, Sandhya Menon, and more of your favorite YA authors comes an anthology of essays that explore the diverse experiences of injustice, empowerment, and growing up female in America.

This collection of twenty-one essays from major YA authors—including award-winning and bestselling writers—touches on a powerful range of topics related t
Published August 14th 2018 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Our Stories, Our Voices, please sign up.
Stella No, Amy Reed says that she wishes she had found a trans author but she couldn't. There is still a lot of LGBTQIA+ representation.
Kelli I believe they are all autobiographical. They are presented more as personal essays than short stories.

Start your review of Our Stories, Our Voices: 21 YA Authors Get Real About Injustice, Empowerment, and Growing Up Female in America
may ➹
Never dismiss your own perspectives. Never question the validity of life in the margins.

This anthology truly lives up to its name: It tells the important and diverse stories of women whose voices have been ignored and smothered but will not take silence anymore.

These stories as a whole all have an underlying message of feminism and female strength and power, and while some authors may share the same marginalization—no two stories or messages are the same and I LOVE that. Each author had som
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This anthology is a tough one for me to rate. If I were reviewing it based solely on the nature of the work—this book about intersectional feminism, equality and equity, and fighting back against a society that perpetuates things like treating women and nonbinary people as less than men (and women/nonbinary people from marginalized communities as lesser, still)—it would be a 5-star read, with no hesitation.

We are living in a cultural battleground where, for many of us, our very identities se
ellie
good intentions but mediocre executions.

review to come. (also, mediocre executions is a sick band name)
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
"Ours are the marginalized voices they refuse to listen to. This book, this act of resistance, says our stories matter. Our lives matter. Our voices will not be silenced."
This anthology review is going to be a little different than my other ones because it’s nonfiction stories, and it feel weird reviewing and rating each story individually when it’s someone’s personal experiences. I’ve been looking forward to this anthology since I read The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed last year and I d
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Read as part of Riveted Lit's 25 Days of December promotion!

I've tried writing a review for this but honestly, I'm very moved by this collection of essays that my thoughts currently aren't processing straight. It was a powerful read and I applaud the authors featured for coming forward and sharing their stories. It's not easy to talk about experiences that haunt you still. I lost my best friend to cancer eight years ago and it's still quite raw for me. I feel inspired, encouraged and strongly ur
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from the publisher via Edelweiss.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that being a woman in the United States kinda sucks, especially if you’re a woman of color or queer or disabled or otherwise marginalized. It sucks to different degrees for different people; a cishet white woman and a queer black woman will face very different problems and bigotry in life. Amy Reed brings together a chorus of diverse voices in this anthology,
Kelly
An outstanding collection of essays about feminism, about activism, and about growing up being female in the US. The voices here are authentic, showcasing not only feelings and experiences, but the ways in which these women have chosen activism that works for them. Standouts in this collection include Brandy Colbert's essay about learning the racist history that changed her home town from one with a larger black population to one where she was one of few black people in her school, Maurene Goo's ...more
Mrs. Europaea
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Raw. Real. Revolutionary.

From the first time Mother who found her radical roots with the birth of her daughter, to the immigrant that claimed her independence that challenged her Indian roots, to the accidental activist that after learning what white privilege was, learned how to use it help the marginalized- the collection of women featured in this new release share their stories and ignite a fire to change the world.

The diverse voices in this collection are representative of what America is s
dearlittledeer
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Good essays but I don't think I would reread many of them. I think I liked the one by the previously unpublished writer the best. Many authors focusing on how it felt after Trump was elected got a little repetitive and I feel like makes it more dated. Unsure of how many teens would really be drawn to reading this, but I think it would be great reading for a high school class.
Iz
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
really good!!! except for Ellen Hopkins' essay. I found that one bad and offensive honestly. but otherwise I really enjoyed it!!!!!
kav (xreadingsolacex)
So many of us are hearing the message right now that we do not belong, that we are not welcome. To that - I think I speak on behalf on all of the authors in this book - I say bullshit. You are wanted. You are loved. You belong. I hope you read these pages and see yourself in our stories, see that there is a place for you, with us. I hope the words of these authors help you feel less alone. I hope you read about women just like you, and I hope you read about women very different from you,
Salma19 (High Lady of the Dawn Court)
I don’t know how to rate this yet, but I think more people should read this anthology. If you are interested in reading it, in the book, there are trigger warnings mentioned before the stories, which is very thoughtful. Trigger warning should be marked at the beginning of the book more often and it’s great that it is the case in this book.

#YourVoiceMatters
Vanessa
Thanks to Riveted I have access to this anthology for 24 hours.
Since I can't finish all of the short stories, I will tell you what I read and what I liked.
❤ = Really Liked. ❤❤ = Loved

"Finding my Feminism" by Amy Reed - ❤
"Fat and Loud" by Julie Murphy
"Unexpected Pursuits: Embracing my Indigeneity and Creativity" by Christine Day
"Chilled Monkey Brains" by Sona Charaipotra - ❤❤
"Myth Making" by Somaiya Daud - ❤
"Black Girl, Becoming" by Tracy Deonn Walker - ❤❤

But the older I got, the more the
Liz Overberg
I don't want to give this anthology a rating, because how could I judge these women's truths?

Twenty-something women of various ages, races, and experiences write about their stories of being their own particular brand of female in America. Most, but not all, of the writers are published young adult authors. Each essay reads like a love letter to today's teen girls. There is anger, regret, pride, sass, and wisdom. Every teenage girl could find something here that speaks to her.
Geoff Girardin
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haunting

An incredible collection of well-curated, powerful, and beautiful essays that hung with me after the book was closed. Each chapter was a new and eye-opening look into a life experience that I have not and cannot experience, and I am grateful for every one of them.
Rachel Marie
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you’re a woman living in the United States, you NEED to read this book. Featuring 21 stories from beloved YA authors such as Anna-Marie McLemore, Ellen Hopkins, Maurene Goo, and many more, this anthology discusses the injustice and empowerment women feel living in the USA, and under the Trump administration. ⁣

The anthology takes aim at sexism first and foremost, but also racism, classism, xenophobia, religious prejudice, and discrimination based on sexual orientation. This book had represent
Laetitia ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ
I really wish I could rate this higher but the way the essays were presented and the many similarities between them left me unable to do this. Some of them hit me so strongly like Christine Day's, Amber Smith's and Tracy Deonn Walker's while others left me feeling a bit confused and made me question what they were really trying to say. But there was one in particular that I found downright offensive; Ellen Hopkins essay. I rolled my eyes and scoffed so many times while reading her essay. I'm not ...more
Rebecca McPhedran
From a wide range of female YA authors comes a beautiful collection of essays that explore what it means to be a woman in our society. From topics ranging from sexual assault to sexuality and identity and belonging. This is such an important work.

Read it, because it will show you glimpses into your own past, and it will give you a picture of how some other women live. The essays are so real and heart wrenching. I loved all of them for different reasons. This would be great for a women’s studies
Solace_In_Reading
Everyone should read this. I feel so empowered and I needed something like this for our times right now.
Grace P
Every essay in this anthology stood alone as an enthralling and thought-provoking personal essay. As a collection of twenty-one stories, there is a little bit of everything and for every reader. It is very telling that every author wanted their story heard, and OUR STORIES, OUR VOICES gives the microphone to everyone. There was not a single essay that was not captivating, and every piece takes on present-day America from a different angle.

A typical YA anthology is several short stories connecte
Savannah
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This anthology is an inspiring and harrowing look into what it is like to grow up in the United States over the past few decades. It is so important to not dismiss feelings or opinions and this book provided me with many experiences that I have experienced but even more that I will never experience as a white female. I highly recommend this anthology.
Shauna Yusko
These are true stories framed as essays or letters to today’s teen girls from (mostly published) YA authors. A good collection. I think it’s weird to give it a rating since these are very personal stories.
Ashley
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2018, 2018own
While I didn't find all the stories to be perfect, this is such a cohesive collection and I cannot wait to introduce it to everyone.
Alyssa
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A powerfully moving, well written anthology that deals with difficult subjects and does not shy away from them.
Hayley
Aug 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
meh
Leila Jaafari
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Women talking about what it means to be a woman in America.
Alison Morquecho
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Man this book had me emotional in almost every story. I cried way too much. I enjoyed this book and all these authors And their stories. I’m sooo glad that I read it!
Emily
Our experiences matter. Our voices matter. And the deafening silence that protects those who have violated us must be broken. (131)

This anthology is such an important gathering of voices and I'm so glad that it exists. It isn't perfect by any means, and some of the essays are better written than others. But this book is about empowering women to speak up about their own experiences, and no one's experience is inconsequential. What might not speak to one person might be crucial representation for
Ashlee

"I wanted to do something to help you know you're not alone in your fear and anger, to help you know that your stories--your lives-- are valid, and valued. So many of us are hearing the message right now that we do not belong, that we are not welcome. To that-- I think I speak on behalf of all the authors in this book-- I say bullsh*t. You are wanted. You are loved. You belong."

Our Stories, Our Voices is unique from other feminist reads. A lot of the books I have read about feminism are from a b

Megan Caddy
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
These real life stories written from perspectives of young women in our country (many are minorities and/or victims of sexual assault) are eye-opening and powerful. One experience in particular was told by a girl who references her hometown of Springfield, MO. 🥺😞

Our world is broken and so is every person in it. This was another reminder for me to love my neighbor and always extend kindness to those around me. You may never know what someone else is going through/has experienced.

Also, here is an
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Fresh Ink: An Anthology
  • Watch Us Rise
  • Love at First Fight (Dimple and Rishi, #2.5)
  • Hope Nation: YA Authors Share Personal Moments of Inspiration
  • How I Resist: Activism and Hope for a New Generation
  • As Kismet Would Have It (Dimple and Rishi, #1.5)
  • Girls Write Now: Two Decades of True Stories from Young Female Voices
  • My Eyes Are Up Here
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • With the Fire on High
  • Felix Ever After
  • All Boys Aren't Blue
  • Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices
  • Clap When You Land
  • Most Likely (Most Likely #1)
  • For Every One
  • Ink Knows No Borders: Poems of the Immigrant and Refugee Experience
  • Nevertheless, We Persisted: 48 Voices of Defiance, Strength, and Courage
Amy Reed was born and raised in and around Seattle, where she attended a total of eight schools by the time she was eighteen. Constant moving taught her to be restless and being an only child made her imagination do funny things. After a brief stint at Reed College (no relation), she moved to San Francisco and spent the next several years serving coffee and getting into trouble. She eventually gra ...more