Start by marking “Fat for Fuel: A Revolutionary Diet to Combat Cancer, Boost Brain Power, and Increase Your Energy” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  931 ratings  ·  69 reviews
For over a century, we’ve accepted the scientific consensus that cancer results from genetic disease due to chromosomal damage in cell nuclei. But what if cancer isn’t a genetic disease after all? What if scientists are chasing a flawed paradigm, and cancer isn’t a disease of damaged DNA but rather of defective metabolism as a result of mitochondrial dysfunction? What if t ...more
Published May 16th 2017 by Hay House

To ask other readers questions about Fat for Fuel, please sign up.
Alli Lubin I think you'd like it. He doesn't push anything on you. And he hardly uses the word Ketogenic. It's all about the mitochondria and it's all about the…moreI think you'd like it. He doesn't push anything on you. And he hardly uses the word Ketogenic. It's all about the mitochondria and it's all about the science. My prediction is you'll arrive at the Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting naturally, after the science convinces you that it's the sensible thing to do for your body. It's great stuff! (less)

❄️✨ Kat ✨❄️
3.5
Fat for Fuel is a very science-heavy book that discusses Metabolic Mitochondrial Therapy (MMT), and why healing and health should start with our mitochondria. It's very elaborate and discusses the ideal diet being low-carb, and high-fat. Not just any fat, however, but healthy fats such as the ones found in avocado and coconut oil. It also discusses the importance of having water fasts, even just nightly fasts where food is avoided 3 hours before bed when our energy is slowed down and we can'
Scott
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the last three years, I've lost about 80 pounds. After a long stall, I switched to a low carb/high fat diet about six months ago. My wife joined the program about three months ago after seeing how well it was working for me. It's been the first plan she's been able to stick to. In fact, she says it's been pretty easy. I agree.

I've just hit my goal weight, about the same weight I was when I graduated from high school almost 40 years ago. My knees (I've had six knee surgeries) haven't felt this
Sheri
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having experienced a high fat/low carb diet for several months, I know Dr. Mercola's scientific explanations are true. My depression and anxiety have improved significantly, my brain fog is gone and my energy is great. I haven't experienced cancer or any major autoimmune disorders but his scientific explanations make sense and it was enlightening to read about all the other benefits as well as his view of critical nutrients/vitamins. I learned a lot and will continue down the LCHF path.
Chad
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
TL;DR: Keto+IF. "Science."

Author positions this differently, as a mitochondria diet. Okay, whatever.

Also, you'll need some equipment, and a few hours each day to test your blood multiple times to make sure you're not dead. Uh-huh, fine.

Also, walk barefoot to absorb magical earth energy through your feet.

Also, also, special water that comes from springs. Stir it with a spoon, or get a special vortex machine.

I gotta give props to the narrator, that guy should start a YouTube ASMR channel because I
Samantha
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homemaking
Over the last month I have read Eat Fat Get Thin, Why We're Fat and What to DO about it now Fat for Fuel. I've also watched Dr. Burg on YouTube. All promote some type of Keto diet and some with intermittent fasting. All have focused on different areas this lifestyle will improve your health or the history. All are worth reading.

Dr. Mercola's was the most deep scientific one that I read. But all very understandable. He really talks about the benefits that this type of diet/lifestyle will have on
Iona  Stewart
I had been looking forward to reading this, Dr. Mercola’s new book, but am somewhat disappointed.

Basically, the book informs us of the importance of “eating plenty of high-quality fats and activating the body’s natural ability to burn fat for its primary fuel instead of glucose”.

The author tells us that cancer and most chronic diseases are caused by defective metabolic processes in the mitochondria; he explains that mitochondria are “tiny energy factories” within our cells that convert our food
Al
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Lots of great information, but too bad the author includes pseudo science about grounding.
Cindy
Here's my impression of what happened:
The keto train pulled into the station. Mercola perceived that it was going places, so he hopped on while he could. He was all excited about all the places he might be going; He got caught up in all the excitement on the train and started shouting out the windows as the train picked up speed. He didn't fully comprehend the entire story, but he listened to others on the train & pieced together a narrative. Except, he wasn't content to just be another pass
Zy Marquiez
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
“The food you eat can either be the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.”
– Ann Wigmore

“He who takes medicine and neglects diet wastes the skill of the physician.”
– Chinese Proverb

There are mainstream doctors, and there are open-minded doctors who are few, but dedicated, within the alternative health community. Dr. Mercola is one of these select few who isn’t afraid to not only call it how it is, but back up what he says with significant contributions and hard
Brad Revell
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been following Mercola's blog for a number of years now and recently saw the release of his new book Fat for Fuel. Given I've been practicing the "Primal Blueprint" lifestyle for some time I wanted to read this book to understand Mercola's perspective as well as learn about the latest trends and research.
What I liked about this book is it takes you through the aspects of nutrition and why certain foods impact you both positively and negatively. Yes you have probably read this in other hea
Mehrsa
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a good book, but I would start with obesity code. There isn't much new here--it's a bit more dogmatic and the plan it recommends seems a bit crazy. Perhaps it would work though for people dealing with serious issues. For those of us who are dilettante nutrition people, it's probably too much. It did convince me to eat more fat though so I guess that's a win?
Jason Mart
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fat For Fuel Pulls It All Together

Dr. Mercola's easy reading style combined with just the right amount and depth of the science behind the concepts explored makes this the most valuable book in this arena I have read. His coverage of iron levels, protein limitation and light alone makes the book worth my investment. Dr. Mercola... thank you!!!
Chase
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nutrition
This is one of the best books I have read on the high fat, low carb, moderate protein diet that is often referred to as "Ketogenic" due to switching your body from burning glucose (carbs) over to ketones (fat).

Based on science and with an easier on-ramp than Keto Clarity, I recommend this for anyone wanting to research this different way of eating and living.
LaRae
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, non-fiction
This was a great explanation of how healthful fats, and a fat-rich diet, can combat disease. However, for me, food and eating must be pleasurable at some level, and he treats eating like a chemistry experiment. The food journaling, constant monitoring for ketosis, etc., would drive me crazy. In spite of this, there were so many good takeaways, including information on grounding, sunlight, and intermittent fasting. Although I don't feel I can follow exactly what he prescribes, it is a fantastic r ...more
Dawn180
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Probably the best nutritionism-related book I've stumbled upon. Dr.Joseph Mercola explains principles of MMT (mitochondrial metabolic therapy) and it's similarities with ketogenic and paleo diet, long story short. This is one of those books which you want to shove in the face of those who you love and care about. Best money ever invested was the one I gave for this book.
Sarai
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Big words

So I get the point of this book and I like how it was done. However, I think that it could’ve been shorter for the point that he was trying to make and there was a lot of big words and Dr. talk.
Adrienne
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, non-fiction
Excellent. Full coverage of every aspect of the keto diet.
Joseph Mercola explains how nearly all disease is caused by defective metabolic processes
Monica
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lots of food for thought, indeed. I appreciate the facts along with the ease of reading the bulk of the information. I feel that some of the steps mentioned for testing could be off putting and cost prohibitive for some. The book lays out several ways to accomplish this style of living. I won't say diet because of the stigma attached. Three cheers for embracing fat. FAT is good.
Chris Harris
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting and Informative

This book has a few new facts to consider when one is looking to the benefits of a low carb high fat lifestyle for optimum health and nutrition. Well worth the short read.
Taya Sokolova
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Книгу читала на русском. Из минусов — сложно написана или, как пишут некоторые другие рецензенты, плохо переведена. Дальше о плюсах.

Я не была готова к этой книге. Думала, что это очередные советы по правильному питанию, которые приятно почитать, а потом почти сразу забыть. Но нет «Клетка на диете» — это в прямом смысле история про то, как посадить все клетки в организме на диету и заставить их работать как у пятилетних деток. То есть быстро регенерировать и быть гибкими.⠀

Для этого предлагается
Alli Lubin
There is so much scientific information here, but well worth the read if you can plod through to enlighten you about his Mitochondrial Metabolic Therapy, which is basically the Ketogenic Diet, which I have been doing for 10 months. I agree with him that Peak Fasting is the preferred form of Intermittent Fasting (IF). After experimenting with IF recently I naturally fell into the same rhythm. I use the app ZERO, and stop eating at 8pm and start eating again at 12 noon so close to 16 hours every d ...more
Louise Pronovost
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A science based explanation of the keto diet written for those who want to understand it in detail. It is addressed to patients who have a major, life threatening illness and are looking for ways to improve their outlook by applying extreme measures. It is also interesting for those who are simply looking for information on an optimum diet but there are books that provide information on the Keto diet in a more layperson language.

I am fortunate enough to be in good health and I read the whole bo
Belann
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a real game changer as far as my thinking has been for so many years. The research seems sound on the premise of a diet high in good fats, minimum protein, and low-glycemic and low carb foods can reduce inflammation in the body, and a host of diseases including obesity. But, unless I were fighting cancer or other serious issues, it seems too extreme for everyday life. And, I still have a hard time thinking that so many good foods: grains, beans, many vegetables, and most fruits are bad ...more
Sandy
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of Dr. Mercola and read his emails everyday. One of the reasons why I trust him and his postings is that he has a genuine goal of improving his health as well as everyone else. When he finds out something he reported is now incorrect, he immediately updates all with the new information. Let’s face it, there is so much new information it is hard to keep up. Thank God for people like Dr. Mercola and many others who are trying to help us get well and feel the best we can.

Fat for Fue
Coyote
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
How I wish I had had access to this book when I started the Ketogenic diet in 2013. Back then it seemed like extreme body builders and epileptic children were the only other people trying to lower blood sugar and fuel their bodies with ketones.
So for me, much of this is old information or review but just to have it in one volume by a relatively well-respected Dr. will provide me with a reference and give legitimacy that my family and friends will find re-assuring as I pass on the bread basket a
Eric C Cassidy
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Retrain your body to utilize fat as its main source of fuel. one of the most important actions we can do for our health. as babies, we naturally burn fat as our primary source of fuel. as children we can switch in and put of ketosis within hours. as adults, after chronic consumption of sugar and carbs for decades following a standard american diet, we need to retrain our bodies to utilize fat for fuel to reduce almost every disease that plagues us today. this is my 4th book on the subject. my lo ...more
Joao Reis
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
We know our body is a hybrid engine, we burn carbs or fats depending on the situation, depending on what the body needs or prefers. This book advocates fat is primary and carbs are secondary, which I'm still not convinced about it. nevertheless, it is very well written and structured and provides valuable information. It made me incline more to a fewer carbs diet for sure, and to confirm intermittent fasting I'm currently doing to be a great decision. For a vegan to follow MMT diet it would be a ...more
Terri
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The food industry, government and big pharma are killing all of us. That's the hidden message here.

We need to take our democracies back and return the power to the people aligned with politicians who will at least protect us. The evil of this invisible genocide goes far beyond any historic atrocities. The profound ramification of this book are also unprecedented and extremely disturbing in many ways. It is biblical in nature.

Everyone who eats should read this immediately to mitigate disease, ext
Alethea Hammer
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was ok

I read this book on the recommendation of my Primary Care Physician. I was not convinced and I'm looking for a diet plan a little closer to mainstream dietary recommendations. My PCP got annoyed with me for suggesting this is a fad diet. She is on it and is losing weight and feeling good and seems to think this is the answer for everyone. She seems a bit overenthusiastic and evangelical about it. I am going to try several of the recommendations in the book. But I won't jump headfirst into an 80%
Megan Sybrant
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
If you have some health concerns or are in the medical field, it’s very detailed & thorough. But if you are the average person seeking the most healthy option for your life & you enjoy learning more about different ways of eating, you might wanna skip this one. It was so incredibly thorough. But as much as I like science, it was over my head. Good info for someone looking for serious answers for their health though.
Dr. Joseph Mercola is a natural health expert based in Illinois. He believes that people are capable of taking control of their health – they can harness their body’s ability to stay optimally healthy. He shares his recommendations through his website, Mercola.com. It is one of the leading natural health websites today, with over one million subscribers worldwide.

Dr. Mercola has authored three New
“Glyphosate also interferes with ATP production by affecting your mitochondrial membranes. When coupled with the so-called inert solvents included in Roundup, the toxicity of glyphosate is magnified as much as 2,000-fold. This makes the membrane more permeable, allowing the glyphosate to go straight to the heart of the mitochondria.” 1 likes
“Your waist size is such an important predictor of health because the type of fat that is stored around your waistline—called “visceral fat” or “belly fat”—is related to the release of proteins and hormones that cause inflammation, which can in turn damage your arteries and affect how you metabolize sugars and fats. For this reason, visceral fat is strongly linked to type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer’s, and other chronic diseases. Seeing your waist size come down is a great indicator of improving health.” 0 likes