Start by marking “The Hardmen: Legends and Lessons from the Cycling Gods” as Want to Read:
The Hardmen: Legends and Lessons from the Cycling Gods

The Hardmen: Legends and Lessons from the Cycling Gods

In cycling, suffering brings glory: a rider's value can be judged by their results, but also by their panache and heroism. Prepared to be awed and inspired by Chris Froome riding on at the Tour de France with a broken wrist or Geraint Thomas finishing it with a broken pelvis.

In The Hardmen the writers behind cycling superblog Velominati.com and The Rules will tell the stor
Published November 7th 2017 by Pegasus Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hardmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hardmen

Start your review of The Hardmen: Legends and Lessons from the Cycling Gods
Chris Gager
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
"Velominati" = how cute. This is my first giveaway winner - yeah! - so NO complaining. I was once an avid cyclist(think Boulder, Colorado) but am now an aging one(think Trek hybrid) in Maine. I've glanced at this and can readily see that it ain't much, but I hope to enjoy "reading" it.

I picked this up last night and so far have enjoyed it very much. Once upon a time I was very much into cycling and even watched some races around Boulder. The only big wig I can recall seeing was Greg Lemond(oops
Martin Mccann
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Humourous and reasonably informative (depending on the depth of your knowledge on the riders beforehand) collection of stories looking at many of the legends of our sport and the exploits that qualified them as "hard men". The book is easily read (I finished it in one sitting on a 7 hour flight) and not very demanding, and of course an understanding of the Velominati and their self-deprecating Rules, helps in understanding the tone and demeanour.
Michael
Apparently the idea is to celebrate tough guy cycling, mostly road racing figures, mostly (but not entirely) men. The point of view, according to the dust jack, is one of "(ir)reverance." Well, perhaps.

Each of the 38 chapters focuses on a particular cyclist. The chapters are not long enough to say that much. The tone is . . . well, it might be fine for a blog, but it seems a little much for a book.

I suppose as much as anything I was annoyed when the chapter about Rebecca Twigg said she attended
Mark Zodda
Got as a gift, but really not my cup of tea. While some of the stories are interesting, the book more serves as a vehicle for the pompous and sometimes amusing musings of the Velominati who have taken upon themselves to be the "style makers" for road cycling. Their "rules" of cycling start out as somewhat amusing, but boy do these guys take themselves seriously. It all becomes much too much. Plus the "stories" are often not much more than a few snide and snarky comments to help remind the reader ...more
Vojtech
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Finished little over half of this book and it took me forever. I liked the premise (cool stories about badass racers) and I even liked the writing, but too much is too much. The tone becomes bit by bit a little old and boring and old and, well, I guess I am really not that much into about obscure stories about riders about most of whom I have never heard. Maybe if you are really into road cycling you will enjoy this more.
Ajay Ramachandran
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, cycling
Not exactly a page turner but it's good for random peaks. My annoyances are the often quotation of the 'rules' which stems the flow of the writing. There are a few grammatical errors/years wrong which I found irritating.
What I like and why you might like it: Great insights into stars of yesteryear without going into the nitty gritty details. Great quotes (the one featuring Jan Raas wasn't favorite). Also, not treating the 90s epo era riders as devils. They were human after all.
Kike Rojas
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Super interesting and funny way to get to know some of the biggests cycling leyenda. Fully enjoyed once more the informal way of writing of the Velominati which made me feel like these were histories being told by close friends.
Kjell Ljøstad
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastisk morsom bok om de hardeste rytterne i sykkelsporten. Det kuuleste med boka, er at den tar med så mange av de kvinnelige syklistene. Det fortjener de!
David
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny. Irreverent. Sure, it's basically an opinion piece, but it doesn't attempt to be any more than that. Because of that, it succeeds.
Michael Romero
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good irreverent take on cycling legends and characters

I enjoyed the style and the inclusion of some lesser-known personalities. Read some Phil Gaimon if you liked this one.
Dave
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A must read for any bike rider who considers themselves a true cyclist.
Rob Brown
Jul 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Funny in places. It was deliberately brief but I would have preferred a more detailed book with fewer entries.
Bill Pye
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insight

Book made me feel special everyday when I go out on the gravel , dirt and mud outside my front door. Makes my day thinking about it
Julie
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you know Cycling and you like the Velominati, you will love this book. If what I just said makes no sense, don’t bother. Or V.
Kenneth D. Atkinson
Jul 17, 2018
BC Reader
Mar 31, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Draft Animals: Living the Pro Cycling Dream (Once in a While)
  • The Rider
  • My World
  • Pro Cycling on $10 a Day: From Fat Kid to Euro Pro
  • One-Way Ticket: Nine Lives on Two Wheels
  • My World
  • Merckx: Half Man, Half Bike
  • The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
  • All The Way Down
  • Henry Clay: The Essential American
  • Wolf Blood: The Werewolf Apocalypse Begins (Lycanthropic, #1)
  • Racing Through the Dark
  • Mastering Fear: A Navy SEAL's Guide
  • Descent: My Epic Fall from Cycling Superstardom to Doping Dead End
  • The Time-Crunched Cyclist: Race-Winning Fitness in 6 Hours a Week
  • David Attenborough's Life on Air: Memoirs of a Broadcaster
  • The Soul Thief (The Horizon Chronicles, #1)
  • Bike Snob: Systematically & Mercilessly Realigning the World of Cycling
The Velominati, or Keepers of the Cog, are founder and main author Frank Strack (Seattle), Brett Kennedy (New Zealand), Gianni Andrews (Hawaii), Marko Carlson (Minnesota), and Jim Thomson (Seattle). Their site, Velominati.com, receives over two million views per month.