Start by marking “If Picasso Painted a Snowman” as Want to Read:
If Picasso Painted a Snowman

If Picasso Painted a Snowman

If someone asked you to paint a snowman, you would probably start with three white circles stacked one upon another. Then you would add black dots for eyes, an orange triangle for a nose, and a black dotted smile. But if Picasso painted a snowman…

From that simple premise flows this delightful, whimsical, educational picture book that shows how the artist’s imagination can
Published October 3rd 2017 by Tilbury House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about If Picasso Painted a Snowman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Picasso Painted a Snowman

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Such a wonderful book! Children will be fascinated by the differing visions of a snowman painted by some of the great masters - fun and informative.
Greg Newbold
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally biased review here given that I painted all the pictures in this book. Amy and I felt like there was a "fun gap" between the existing introductory art books and what we wanted for our children, so we created this book. We created an entertaining way to explore a variety of famous artists' styles as if they had actually painted a snowman. Lively text such as "Jackson Pollock Created his snowman...splish, splash splat!" and "Dot upon dot upon dot, here's a snowman by Georges Seurat" punctu ...more
Bea  Charmed
Absolutely delightful, will recommend to the art teacher at my school.

Group review on the blog, probably next month.
Amy
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes art, or snowmen!
Not an unbiased review! The art in this picture book is amazing, showing you how seventeen different artists may have painted snowmen. The text is short enough to hold the attention of even young children, and makes this a great bedtime read. This book is great for teachers, librarians, artists, art lovers, parents, grandparents, children and snowman fans! Want to know more about the artists? Biographies in the back tell you more about them. Also included are tips on creating art from the illust ...more
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love for the art world permeates this clever introduction to the wonder of artistic expression. An adorable pudgy chipmunk greets readers by asking them how they would make a snowman. He then draws a simple traditional snowman. Stating that not all artists paint the same, the chipmunk then paints a snowman in the styles of seventeen famous artists starting with Picasso, and including such diverse virtuosos as Lichtenstein, O’Keeffe, Monet, Chagall, and Pollock. A blank page invites readers to co ...more
Janae
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was privileged to see an advance copy and loved it! Adorable hamster, faithful and amazing interpretations of the masters' styles, and a fantastic idea to bring to a children's book: introducing kids to multiple art styles and artists through the accessible subject of a snowman. Excellent!
Barbara
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Starting from a simple but accessible premise of a snowman drawn by most of us with three circles, this book then moves into imagining how various famous artists, including Picasso, Gustav Klimt, Jackson Pollock, Jacob Lawrence, and Vincent van Gogh, might have painted them. Since the book contains actual examples of how the Newbolds conjecture the artwork might have looked, readers familiar with the artists will recognize certain elements in the paintings while also seeing how different they al ...more
Stephanie Bange
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great way to introduce children to various styles of famous artists! A friendly little guinea pig takes the reader on an educational ride that answers the question: What would a snowman look like if painted by.... ? The seventeen different artists featured include Picasso, J.M.W. Turner, Lichtenstein, O'Keeffe, Klimt, Monet, Velarde, Pollack, Dali, Klee, Chagall,Seurat, Mondrian, Delaunay, Lawrence, van Gogh and Wood. The wide range of artistic styles painting the same object is enhanced ...more
Heidi-Marie
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adorable!! I take a little pride in knowing I ordered this because it looked amazing, and THEN found out that my co-worker's sister wrote it. Very happy to be able to read a copy before ours came in. Very clever. A great way to introduce famous artists' works/styles to kids. There was only one artist I didn't know, the rest I got some good laughs with to see the snowmen portrayed there. Especially Dali! So glad to have this in the collection. I think it should be a Beehive nominee.
Ariadne
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: authors-i-ve-met, ya
This book is fantastic. It gives a cute and engaging little lesson in art history and different art styles, and also teaches kids how to think outside the box and be creative. This will show a kid it's okay not to be cookie cutter and to play outside the lines.

Met the author illustrators at MPIBA trade show 2017.
Holly
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!! The art in this book is absolutely amazing, but I expected no less from Greg Newbold. What a marvelous way to introduce children to various artists. I read this as a bed time story for nieces and nephews. Even my youngest niece's (3 years old) was drawn to the wonderful colors. I would recommend to all parents, teachers and artists.
Heidi
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I love this! A winter story about art and a snowman, that doubles as an introduction to the various styles of famous artists. I definitely recommend adding this one to your bookcases. A lovely picture book relevant to all ages.
Megan
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to get to see this before it was released. This book is utterly delightful! Every time I turned a page, I'd think something along the lines of "Oh! It's Van Gogh! And that's Pollock! And..."

There are also great bios of all the artists being imitated in the back.
Julie Emery
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful introduction to art for young and old. This beautiful hardcover book is full of amazing illustrations and encourages children to be creative. Go ahead and buy this book for your child, grandchild, niece, neighbor, but most importantly.... buy one for yourself.
Mary
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book to compare how people can draw the same thing so differently. It's a great way to teach children about individuality and how it is represented in the world.
Rachel
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book for children to learn about artists and appreciate all kinds of creativity. It's so clever and the Illustrations are wonderful!
Kaylynn Johnsen
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid
An entertaining and approachable way to introduce various artists and styles to young children. Great artwork!
Meg McGregor
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday-reads
This is an absolutely wonderful book!

What a creative way to introduce famous artists to little ones. And not so little ones, like me!

The premise: what might a snowman look like if it were painted by Pablo Picasso, or Claude Monet, or Vincent Van Gogh, etc.?

I really enjoyed:

Gustav Klimt's snow family wrapped in a patchwork quilt...
Salvador Dali's snowmen dripping like melted cheese...
Van Gogh's snowman swirling in the wavy hills...
and Grant Wood's famous Snowman Gothic never melting away.

But my a
mary dewley
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, picture-books
I just finished teaching an art class at the library. I wish I would have had this book with me to show the class. Its an amazing introduction into the different artists and styles using a simple snowman. It also includes a mini-biography on each of the artists at the back of the book. Very simple text and amazing illustrations will have the kids excited to learn about art!
Sally
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
An effective and fun introduction for young children to the very different characteristic styles of well-known modern painters, from the impressionists on. I enjoyed it and kids will too.
Maryanne
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book - nice introduction to artists and creativity. Would be a good tie-in to a painting program.
Gwen Ayler
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book! If someone asked you to paint a snowman you'd probably start with three circles. If someone asked Picasso, Van Gogh, Monet, or Dali to paint a snowman, it might look a little different. Each page shows how a famous artist might paint their interpretation of a snowman. At the end of the book it goes into more detail about each artist. Such a great way to compare the different types of artwork by their artist. Would make for a great read in an art class or even in a self contained ...more
Margie aka The Bumble Girl
I really do think that as much as my kiddos enjoyed this book, I love it even more! There is just something about the opening of the book that really got to me... right from the start we are asked how we would draw a snowman and then answers the question for you - "three white circles stacked upon each other with black dots for eyes, and orange nose, etc..." Which is exactly how we would draw a snowman, right? This is how we are taught to see and draw one, and it is the way a snowman is continuo ...more
Margie
There are short ones and tall ones and fat ones and skinny ones. All sorts of items, natural and man-made are added to further distinguish their physical characteristics. Just as there are no two snowflakes alike, there are no two snowwomen, snowmen, snow children or snow creatures alike. Each one is as unique as its maker.

When we bring the activity of creating snow figures indoors, materials other than snow capture our attention. Every kind of artistic medium can be used, paper, paint, crayons,
Sandy
LOVED this one. It's perfect for all ages, honestly. This would be a perfect book for art teachers, librarians, or fans of art to look through. The book asks readers how they would draw a snowman (make three circles, add a face, etc.) and then the following pages recreate snowmen in the art styles of Picasso, Van Gogh, Klimt, etc. (Sorry for not adding all the artists, I'm not familiar with every artist featured!).

The book is colorful and kid-friendly. Kids, especially school-aged ones, will be
DeA
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for elementary age children. It explores different artists and their styles by recreating one of their most famous pieces but with snowmen. I highly recommend this book to young artists who want a quick reference to multiple styles of painting in an unusual way.
Lynn
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm totally smitten by this charming clever book. A little hamster paints snowmen in the style of famous painters and each one is a wonderful example of the elements of that painter's work.

Short excellent biographies are included as back matter. This is just a terrific book for use in classrooms, elementary and middle school art classes or to be enjoyed independently. So many possible activities using this book and Greg Newbold offers his own valuable advice to young artists.

Terrific book desig
Edward Sullivan
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, picture-books
A remarkably talented hamster demonstrates what a snowman would look like if painted by such modern artists as Marc Chagall, Salvador Dali, Sonia Delaunay, Paul Klee, Jacob Lawrence, Piet Mondrian, Jackson Pollock, Vincent van Gogh, and Grant Wood. A big, bright, fun introduction kids to the different styles of various famous artists.
Kim Gubler
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-ed-340
Picture Book.
Wonderful book. This book allows children to discover different types of art and that not all artists, artwork, or people are the same. I love the multiple meanings and forms of learning found in this book.
Paula
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful! It's cute and engaging, giving a little lesson in art history and different art styles. Art teachers will love it....teaches kids how to think outside the box and be creative.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Amy grew up making snowmen during Utah winters. She also drew horses, learned to read at age 4, and wrote stories and poems. She is the author of "If Picasso Painted a Snowman" and "If Da Vinci Painted a Dinosaur." Amy is an avid board game player. She loves to travel and to spend time with her family. She and her husband, illustrator Greg Newbold, enjoy hiking, camping, and taking road trips. Whe ...more